• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it just wasn't turning out well. Hard to say what was happening behind the scenes.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I assume they fired most after Dead Space 3 already. Dead Space 3 was putting all sorts of moronic AAA trends into its design to justify Visceral's existence to EA basically. When that did not pay off (with good reason lol) EA probably went on a firing spree, and by the time they got shut down you'd assume it was already a shadow of its former self.

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It'll be interesting to see if the contact is renewed after all this. I'd guess both sides will want to walk away, but you never know.

People said that about Madden but they always renew. Mostly nothing but mediocrity is fine as long as it makes them both money. Hell Battlefront II is having a resurgence lately despite the massive controversy when it launched nearly two years ago. The Old Republic is still hanging in there as profitable and a new expansion is on the horizon. Games people thought were complete disasters (because of EA) can still be salvaged and improved.

Sure you'll still find pessimism whenever anything EA-related gets posted here, but I try to find optimism in the fact they actually turned the game around as a response to their mistakes. Trying to put myself in Disney's position, a new deal with another publisher would just set back any potential earnings for several years anyway given how long AAA development takes these days.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
For a while now I've wondered who was in the driver seat for this and I never thought it was really EA. Like said this game goes against what EA does and wants to do it. It doesn't go against what Disney and Lucasfilm likely want for Star Wars when it comes to game offerings. If EA 100% had their way I don't for a second think this game would exist today. I don't think we'd see a follow up or another like it if it's up to EA. If we do it's likely because Disney/Lucasfilm want it made.
yeah.

Looking forward to this game.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Vince/Respawn has a good track record shipping games this gen and generally seems to have their shit together moreso than the other project and management surrounding it. Doesn't help the studio was in such an expensive area. Some don't wanna consider this but it feels like Hennig may have lost a bit of her development aptitude what with the multiple canceled projects (plus the UC4 takeover). Canceled projects aren't anything special in this industry but that recent track record doesn't look the greatest regardless.

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
We don't know how Visceral's game was turning out. Maybe it was a disaster.
I think most of the rumors indicate this. EA didn't help with all the team switching and that Battlefield game nobody wanted, but it seemed to be cursed. I think there was confusion in the reasoning, assuming EA cancelled it in favor of a GaaS, when in reality it was a money pit and they would rather invest in a new game that was GaaS

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Vince/Respawn has a good track record shipping games this gen and generally seems to have their shit together moreso than the other project and management surrounding it. Doesn't help the studio was in such an expensive area. Some don't wanna consider this but it feels like Hennig may have lost a bit of her development aptitude what with the multiple canceled projects (plus the UC4 takeover). Canceled projects aren't anything special in this industry but that recent track record doesn't look the greatest regardless.

This.

kotaku.com

The Collapse Of Visceral's Ambitious Star Wars Game

It seemed like a surefire hit: a Star Wars take on Uncharted, published by Electronic Arts and developed by the longrunning studio Visceral Games. But nothing is sure in the video game industry, and on October 17, 2017, when employees of Visceral were told that the company would be closing, some...

"Ragtag's scope was a glaring red flag. All of those ideas surrounding multiple protagonists and sabotaging Stormtroopers sounded wonderful in theory, but some high-level staff at Visceral were concerned that they didn't have the time or budget to pull everything off. "

"Hennig began clashing with others at Visceral, particularly the design team, according to all of the staff who spoke to me for this story. Designers described Hennig as a brilliant writer and story-teller who was spread too thin on Ragtag. Because she wanted to direct every aspect of the game, and many decisions had to run through her, it became difficult for Visceral staff to get her attention. "

"At Naughty Dog, Hennig had always worked in tandem with a second director whose job was to manage gameplay. On the brilliant Uncharted 2, that role was filled by Bruce Straley. According to three people familiar with the situation, Hennig said she didn't feel like she had anyone who could fill that role on Ragtag. As a result, sources said, Hennig took control of every aspect of the project, from story to gameplay to level design. "Amy is amazing with story, tone, a lot of stuff," said one person who worked on the team. "But she's not a level designer, so if you're a gameplay person, you would not be as into Amy controlling everything. Whereas if you're a story person, you'd be like, 'Sure, man, lead the way.'"

At least three former Visceral employees told me they left the studio because they felt frustrated by Hennig's direction. Said another person who worked with Hennig: "Amy's phenomenally smart, fiercely smart, talented, incredibly good at cutscenes. But she was balanced by other talented individuals at Naughty Dog… This was a team she hadn't worked with before. I felt like she didn't really trust us.""

"for Visceral, that simple animation was months in the making. They spent hours and hours of development time just working on the way in which Dodger would touch the door. This was a frustrating experience for some members of the team, who felt like they didn't have enough core features in place to be spending so much time on a demo. That demo may have looked good, but people who worked on it said you couldn't play very much. "Dodger couldn't even shoot his gun and we're fine-tuning where his hand placement needed to be," said one Ragtag developer. "We don't have a single environment for Dodger to exist in... How do you build a system if you don't know what your average area is gonna be?" "

Even without EA's meddling, the game was clearly doomed from the start. It was mismanaged, and they were focusing on making cinematics instead of making the game. Even with years of extra time and infinite leeway from EA, it's not clear that the game would amount to anything.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
The Visceral game was probably bad. It happens. It isn't even necessarily anybody's fault.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
God of War and Spider-man, two good examples of singleplayer games killing it, probably just released after they cancelled the project being in the mind that Destiny style GAAS games were gonna be the trend they'd have to follow to insure investors it won't bomb.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I guess they have their good reasons we don't know but that doesn't change Jedi Fallen Order looked quite bland and unpolished, there ae dozens of games like that. (Tomb Raider the most recent one last year)

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Please remember from our E3 rules:
No reaction threads – To prevent clutter we will lock all reaction threads during E3. A reaction thread is a topic about a hot take or some other personal reaction to anything that did or did not happen during E3. Examples include "Why wasn't the Switch 2 announced?", "Did Ubisoft just win E3?" and "I can't believe the leaks were real". These sort of topics can be discussed in news threads and conference threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.