• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So it seems on PS5 it's still a PS4 game running in the back-compatibility layer?
Yeah. We're seeing that a lot because of the way updates and skus work on PS vs Xbox. Can't just update a PS game 'into' it's next gen version like on Xbox, needs a whole new PS5 SKU, so the best you'll get before that is updates that let the last gen version push dynamic improvements higher

Koralsky

Oct 28, 2017
There's no longer a 30fps/res mode setting on the PS5 now with this patch, oddly enough. 1200p 60fps only.

Yeah, just checked this - this is a terrible choice (I am downloading the PS4 version on my PS4 Pro to see if it's the same).

For this patch, they are using a PS5 'compatible mode' firmware (8.01) - this means they can easily say to the game what to happen if it's PS4/ PS4 Pro or PS5 hardware.

I can't understand how a AAA developer is making this strange choice - my PS4 title with PS4 Pro support is also 3D sci-fi game with mostly high-quality assets (hi-poly meshes, PBR materials, dynamic lighting, etc), using Unreal 4. I have more than one visual mode that works wonderfully on PS5 - from 1440p/30FPS on PS4 Pro to 2160p/60FPS on PS5 (it is the same for the Xbox One/Series version of my game).

From what I see there's a lot of disinformation about PS5 back-compatibility in this thread. It is not that different - the main difference is that you can have VRR and up to 120FPS on Xbox One X and no VRR and 60FPS maximum on PS4 Pro - but these restrictions have nothing to do with choice for Fallen Order.

The information about how much of the hardware both consoles are using for BC is NDA, but from my perspective, this is a very bad choice regarding PlayStation players. Again, I know how this engine works on PS4/XBO - my game is also heavy on streaming assets in and out constantly.

I simply have no logical explanation of why they removed 4K/30 mode for PS5 - it was working just fine in this mode in the previous patch.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
There's no longer a 30fps/res mode setting on the PS5 now with this patch, oddly enough. 1200p 60fps only.

They've removed the 4k mode? That's weird.

I'd rather play in the performance mode (even at just 1200p) but surprising that they've just deleted the 4k/Quality mode from the PlayStation version specifically.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Bro 1200p for a 4k screen on PS5 looks soft as hell. It's like 60% of full 4k.

No. 4K screens aren't Some newfangled tech. We played God of War and Forza Horizon 4 at 1080p performance modes and neither was remotely close to 'soft as hell'.
God of war still runs at 1080p locked 60fps on PS5 and looks very good.

Oct 30, 2017
The limitation isn't just about 120hz modes, that's what I'm saying. Think recently to things like the crowd density in Cyberpunk. And we can infer from the example here that they had to prioritize certain things to make this feasible without compromising the underlying last-gen version (i.e., why the PS5 doesn't have all the options/improvements that are on the Series X). It's also true we're looking at a more basic patch, rather than a native conversion.
I thought crowd density in cyberpunk was a XOX enhancement that PS4 Pro didn't have.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
....I just finished Fallen Order. Should've waited. Oh well, really enjoyed it. If there's a sequel I'm there day one.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

I'm the last to pretend that's an unplayable resolution (I played at 1080p to get the benefit of 60 fps in this game just recently), but it's still soft for a bigger 4K set.

My math is [1920*1200 = 2,304,000] as the numerator, divided by [3840*2160 = 8,294,400] as the denominator, so I don't think it's anywhere near your number for how close it is to 4K. It's ~28%, by my count.

Last edited:

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
Removing framerate limits and dynamic resolution caps are such simple ways to future proof games, I hope we see much more of this.

I'm also glad that while there are drawbacks to the backwards compatibility approach of PS5 vs XSX, PS4 games are at least able to "know" when they are running on PS5 for platform exclusive benefits.

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
No. 4K screens aren't Some newfangled tech. We played God of War and Forza Horizon 4 at 1080p performance modes and neither was remotely close to 'soft as hell'.
God of war still runs at 1080p locked 60fps on PS5 and looks very good.
Interesting examples. I agree that God of War's IQ was WAY better than it should have been at 1080p. It wasn't the IQ that kept me from playing it in performance mode, it was the... Performance. At the time, the FPS was all over the place, except anywhere near 60. 30fps offered a much more stable experience.

Contrastingly, I chose to play FH4 in quality mode because their motion blurring is just. so. good. that I felt the IQ hit wasn't worth a little bit of extra smoothness.

Oct 30, 2017
We haven't seen any of these titles get 'options' AFAIK. Like Ghost of Tsushima, as I understand, you get double the framerate, but no new options. Cyberpunk runs with an unlocked framerate on PS5, but you don't get 'modes' like you get on XSX. There definitely appears to be more flexibility with regards to what you can do to an Xbox One title running on the XSX than on a PS4 title running on the PS5, looking across a range of titles that have been tweaked for the new platforms.

It's not a big deal either way though really.
In this case, they actively removed a mode.

If the PS4 Pro version of the resolution mode was doing 30 fps at a higher resolution, I don't see anything preventing them from offering a higher resolution for the resolution mode. They bumped up the internal res for the performance mode so we know what modes can benefit from higher resolutions.

I'm not sure why the 30 fps mode was omitted here but it doesn't seem like a BC limitation.

This patch does tell us that the PS5 native mode can indeed offer higher resolutions than PS4 Pro mode.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017

There's more to image quality than just resolution.

For what is worth, I won't be missing the 4k 30fps mode on PS5. I tested both modes extensively and 1080p 60fps was definitely the way to go in my opinion.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Cool...got this during the holiday sale but haven't really started it yet. I like how some of these updates are being handled...a PS5 version is not really needed and it's nice to have the option of keeping it on external storage since it's still a PS4 game. GR Breakpoint was the same way too.

Wilco

Nov 25, 2018
I started the game this week, nice to see improvements. I was hoping the loading was better, disappointed with the time it takes after each death. (playing on Xbox series X)

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad I held off on doing a replay. Looks like I'll hold off until I can snag a PS5.

Munroe

May 17, 2019
Ah shame, I played this as soon as EA Play launched on Gamepass and got all the achievements for it so I don't think I'll return to it.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So this is out now? I don't know that this is a big enough bump to get me to want to replay it, but I've been thinking about it lately. Oh hell...maybe a quick playthrough before Hitman 3 comes out.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Cool...got this during the holiday sale but haven't really started it yet. I like how some of these updates are being handled...a PS5 version is not really needed and it's nice to have the option of keeping it on external storage since it's still a PS4 game. GR Breakpoint was the same way too.
Also, along with Days Gone and Ghosts of Tsushima, these games aren't taking advantage of the DualSense capabilities so it makes sense I can still use my DS4 with back-button attachment.

It irks me when a 3 year old game like Destiny 2 gets a PS5 version, does nothing with the DualSense, yet suddenly it's DualSense exclusive....??? Just why

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm under the impression there are actual limitations in how PS4 software can be tweaked for PS5 versions. I understand there has been the special/"native" patching for several first-party titles that works really well, but we know from things like Rocket League where devs said outright that special authoring is required for features (in that case, re: the 120 fps mode) that don't work w/ standard patching from PS4 versions.

There was a Eurogamer interview to that effect that you can check out here. This stuff can obviously change over time, but I think this is still a current reality.
There's been fantastic non-native implementations. Actually, some are better than the native. This is a problem with their game specifically. It runs terribly, we already know that. But it must be worse under the hood than many of us thought if these systems can't brute force through a lot of it. There's some issue that was masked due to limitations of last gen hardware that's showing its face here.

Again, the Xbox implementation is applauded. The Xbox version has the same issue. It's not the hardware.

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
I just learnt that this game was 45 fps on PS5 until now. I knew something was off when I tried it when I got my console but I couldn't figure it.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Something odd is going on with this game, it stutters even with my 3080. I can clearly see that the GPU utilization is within 60% to 70%, and it stutters.

Oct 30, 2017
Seriously, Sony need to get it together. This keeps happening.
Is it the lack of 4k 30 fps mode that is upsetting? Because that was existing fine before. The removal of an entire graphical setting is not some sort of PS5 limitation in BC. That's a development choice.

It doesn't seem clear why DRS is gone on PS5 in favor of 1200p.
XSX being between 1080p-1440p. If they removed DRS and had to pick a sweetspot resolution, it'd probably be somewhere around 1200p, too.