• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
8KTtscB.jpg

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
As much as I've enjoyed every Respawn game to date, this claim sounds pretty dubious. I'm just not sure any studio can come out of the gate with their first melee-focused game and stand alongside a company that's been refining the formula for a decade.

Because they have people who have worked on previous GoW games including the 2018 one working on this and they have taken note of games like Bloodborne and Metroid for lvl design.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't play Souls games, I don't have time for that nonsense.

So if the combat feels like Sekiro fine, but if the difficulty matches it as well you can count me the fuck out regardless of it being Star Wars.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm just not sure any studio can come out of the gate with their first melee-focused game and stand alongside a company that's been refining the formula for a decade.

Because it's not?
The Respawn team working on SW is not the TITANFALL TEAM, they have two studios and several ex-Santa Monica devs were hired at Respawn when Stig left the company in 2014.

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
Exactly! This is respawn. These folks should get the benefit of the doubt like any other prestigous studio until proven wrong.
lol I gave Bioware the benefit of the doubt. Anything from EA even Respawn, people oughta be on the fence. It is only wise to do so after Anthem, BFV and hell Apex Legends even. You can't blame folk.

Inspiration is one thing, but associating yourself with succesful franchises also happens to be a marketing technique.

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
lol I gave Bioware the benefit of the doubt. Anything from EA even Respawn, people oughta be on the fence. It is only wise to do so after Anthem, BFV and hell Apex Legends even. You can't blame folk.

Inspiration is one thing, but associating yourself with succesful franchises also happens to be a marketing technique.

I dont believe respawn folks have had a Bioware moment yet though. They are responsible for some of the best FPS games of all time. When the "Bioware Moment" happens, I think that is fair enough.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
I don't play Souls games, I don't have time for that nonsense.

So if the combat feels like Sekiro fine, but if the difficulty matches it as well you can count me the fuck out regardless of it being Star Wars.

There's 3 difficulties so no worries about it being as hard as Sekiro if you don't want it to be. I'm a masochist so I welcomed the challenge Sekiro had heh

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
anyone who saw the game play demo from E3 could see that the game is FROM inspired, like the way Unleashed was P* inspired last gen. Not that they're biting off the developer per se but adapting to gameplay trends that are seen this gen. FROM combat has rippled across games whether they are soulslikes or not this gen and it shows (the way platinum did last gen with action titles). And i'm all for it. Slower, more methodical combat rather than button mashy shenanigans. Health potions needing to be carefully consumed rather than regenerative health. etc.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I duno why the surprise, the demo already showed some inspirations. Not as deep? probably. Not as difficult? surely. But it was there.

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
The full quote because people in here seem to be making up imaginary scenarios about what was actually said about Sekiro.

I thought it was pretty badass, and a little comforting to know that you could make this type of game without a stamina bar. They let you attack, they let you roll, they do all this for free – and then the AI will tell you if you're doing the correct thing. It just confirmed to us that you don't have to limit everything the player does; let them have a little more agency, and then let the AI give them a slap on the wrist or a punch in the face. It was a positive thing for us to know there was a game that was similar to ours. Very similar.

Both games don't have a stamina bar.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
There are some similarities, like both games having a visual prompt for where you have to evade an attack instead of blocking it.

Looking at the actual quote, which I guess nobody else is, the developer is talking specifically about Sekiro not having a stamina bar.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
This is a pretty dumb twice recycled article mined from an Edge interview, extrapolating from the combat designer commenting how Sekiro doesn't have a Dark Souls style stamina bar. The game is clearly inspired by From Software games, at its core it seems to be parry/counter focused. I'm just worried it doesn't hold up when the game is also not as punishing and has too many tools to ignore that core focus.

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
I'll be buying the origin pass the month this comes out. Can't wait and I thought it looked great from the extended demo.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I kinda got that vibe when i saw the gameplay tbh.

Me too. I wasn't sure at the time if it was just recency bias because that was the game I had just finished around that time. Gameplay looked like a slower moving sekiro. Game came out like 4 months ago though and was demoed before that. Perhaps they've been refining combat with Sekiro in mind.

tbh, its what they should be ripping off. Light saber combat should be parry intensive and force skills = prosthetics.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I'll believe it when I see it, which almost certainly means I'll never believe it.

Love the backfire though:
Sekiro fans: "I don't believe you".
Sekiro non-fans: "I don't want it, then".

really? cause the similarities between what i saw in the e3 demo and sekiro were basically just "both have swords"

And technically one does not have swords, but laser beams coming out of a hilt...

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
I have yet to see a western dev emulates From Software's combat perfectly or even closely good to it let alone Sekiro. I'll believe it when I see a build up meter when parrying.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well I WAS just in that "I sure wish Sekiro had DLC thread." Sooo... if he's anything close to right... cool. I'm down.

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
it looks exactly like sekiro if you ignore the gameplay we've already seen.

Good to see more games like Fallen Order and Dreams asking players to use their imaginations.

Jellycrackers

Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro is the best Star Wars game I've ever played, so that's great news. You can tell the combat system is similar, but a little slower moving. Hopefully the movement feels as good as Sekiro's does as well! I'd welcome a more relaxed/easier version of Sekiro's combat.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
It's funny. I had zero interest in the Force Unleashed games that made the player ridiculously powerful.
But I somehow have even less interest in a 'Get Gud' Star Wars game.

Hopefully this talk was just over-enthusiastic marketing speak reaching for the latest craze to relate to the market; some of what has been shown looks really promising.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
It was obvious to me as they even use a Soulsborne inspired lock on system and generally the fights being showed off had a very similar vibe. Sure, we have yet to experience the highest difficulty setting but those snarky drive by comments in this thread are quite something.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Sekiro just came about a couple of months ago. How did they draw that inspiration in that short time?
They never say they drew inspiration from it:

"I thought it was pretty badass, and a little comforting to know that you could make this type of game without a stamina bar. They let you attack, they let you roll, they do all this for free – and then the AI will tell you if you're doing the correct thing. It just confirmed to us that you don't have to limit everything the player does; let them have a little more agency, and then let the AI give them a slap on the wrist or a punch in the face. It was a positive thing for us to know there was a game that was similar to ours. Very similar. "