• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Bruceleeroy

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Yep. At some point during my playthrough I had acquired new powers to let reach previously inaccessible areas, and Greez is like "hey, you should go back to Zeffo. I bet you can explore more of that crashed Venator". I thought about what an unholy pain in the ass getting anywhere on Zeffo was for about five seconds, and I was like "nah, I'm good".

The thing is, I'm sure I would've enjoyed exploring that crash site (even if the reward was just more cosmetics) but my desire to not spend thirty plus minutes getting back to the Venator was significantly greater than my desire to explore a new area.

Hahahaha I'm dying I thought this exact same thing

Risev

Oct 27, 2017
I was totally surprised by the praise the game received when it first came out. It's not bad but I found it completely unremarkable. The visuals are great but the environments feel completely lifeless. I liked the villain at first but the main characters are incredibly boring and I don't think I enjoyed a single conversation that the cast engaged in. Some of the levels are fun to explore but at times they feel large for the sake of being large, and the fact that most of the loot and environmental story-telling is worthless doesn't help.

Game was also incredibly buggy. I frequently found myself swinging through enemies, had enemies suddenly spring up into the air and then fall and die from fall damage, and I do remember a couple of times where I got stuck in the environment.

I think people are just starved for a proper Star Wars single player campaign that an average game such as this one sold as much as it did and received that much overwhelming praise (at least during the launch week until people started talking about the bugs and the like). Don't think anyone would even give this game a second glance without the Star Wars coat of paint.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I was totally surprised by the praise the game received when it first came out. It's not bad but I found it completely unremarkable. The visuals are great but the environments feel completely lifeless. I liked the villain at first but the main characters are incredibly boring and I don't think I enjoyed a single conversation that the cast engaged in. Some of the levels are fun to explore but at times they feel large for the sake of being large, and the fact that most of the loot and environmental story-telling is worthless doesn't help.

Game was also incredibly buggy. I frequently found myself swinging through enemies, had enemies suddenly spring up into the air and then fall and die from fall damage, and I do remember a couple of times where I got stuck in the environment.

I think people are just starved for a proper Star Wars single player campaign that an average game such as this one sold as much as it did and received that much overwhelming praise (at least during the launch week until people started talking about the bugs and the like). Don't think anyone would even give this game a second glance without the Star Wars coat of paint.

Yeah, it was very buggy. It was extremely obvious that Respawn had to hit a deadline from EA to get this game out before Rise of Skywalker. An extra half a year in the oven would've done this game a lot of good.

Shock32

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. At some point during my playthrough I had acquired new powers to let reach previously inaccessible areas, and Greez is like "hey, you should go back to Zeffo. I bet you can explore more of that crashed Venator". I thought about what an unholy pain in the ass getting anywhere on Zeffo was for about five seconds, and I was like "nah, I'm good".

The thing is, I'm sure I would've enjoyed exploring that crash site (even if the reward was just more cosmetics) but my desire to not spend thirty plus minutes getting back to the Venator was significantly greater than my desire to explore a new area.

I was the same way, after the story i'm thinking of going for the plat and then I realized I had to back track a shit ton. Abandoned that, the game needs some kind of fast travel around the different planets.

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's their first non fps game so I can understand, but yea the game was so annoying at parts. Literally started just speeding through the levels to get the game done.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last night I beat Dathomir and I am so perplexed at what the vision for this game is. It is this amalgamation of pretty much every popular game out there with these features just dropped in with no context to the story or even the game-play.

1. Soulsborne Checkpoint System + Respawning Enemies - This makes absolutely no sense at all. I would not be surprised if some exec walked into the office and was like - "You know what games are really killing it right now are those Dark Soul games we should add that stuff into the game!" No explanation is given for why when you meditate you are able to bring your foes back to life. Its even more out of place in this game since it has a much stronger narrative drive than Soulsborne that you are in essence really just going back in time not re-spawning people. Its so odd. The leveling up aspect doesn't benefit from it at all. I'm pretty far in the game and haven't had to FARM or LVL up to get skills. Its just so odd.
  2. Force Echos - Again this seems so bolted on to drive you to explore the areas but its literally nothing. **BLASTER FIRE** AWWWW!! "Someone died here"** - Thanks Kyle
  3. Scattered Chests Containing...NOTHING - What in the world is up with all the chest everywhere in the world - some of them way off the beaten path that contain just a lightsaber piece the size of a quarter (I CANT SEE THAT) or a new paint job for the droid. This isn't Destiny and the aesthetics are barely noticeable but these things are everywhere.
  4. Seed planting - What in the.. WHAT?
  5. To get anywhere you must travel either through a maintenance tunnel or surf down a hill like this is Cliffhanger on the Sega CD. - Never before have I been made more aware of the constraints of level design on these current consoles than on this game. This thing is almost a sled simulator and therapists tool for Claustrophobia. It feels like every 3 minutes I'm sledding down a hill or squeezing my sweet red hair through a crack.

This might sound like I loathe the game but I don't. I actually like it much more than I thought but it really needs to strip all this stuff away. It adds nothing to the core experience and if anything detracts from a reasonably solid game. The combat is fun, force powers solid and story and characters amusing enough. I was completely wrong on Cameron Monaghan though. All the previews I thought he was so boring but he makes a great Jedi in this. Also BD-1 is awesome even though he never gives me a damn health boost when I need one - BD-1 I need a boost.... BD-1? BBBBBDDDDD-111111!!!!!! HELP!!.....................DEAD
It is all those things. Its a hodgepodge that just happened to work

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
I had a decent time with it, but it is a bit of a mess narratively and in terms of gameplay.

The way the maps are structured are literally the worst thing living or dead.

Better story than The Rise of Skywalker though! Zing! (I'm slightly serious.)

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
I like it for what it was, the story was decent, the combat was fairly fun too. Sure it was a Souls lite experience but it was enjoyable.

Shambala

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Don't forget it was a buggy damn mess. Put me off the game for months. I just finished it last week.. Deleted it as I was done. It was such a chore

DreadfulOmen

Feb 6, 2018
I enjoyed the combat, but everything else was pretty mediocre. Once I got new abilities, I had no desire to go back to explore previous planets.

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
I put about 5 hours in before giving up and returning it to EB.

It was the most obnoxious game I'd played in recent memory. Cobbled together elements that were either done badly or tired years ago didn't make for a compelling experience.

The story was good though, watched it on youtube.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
[*]Scattered Chests Containing...NOTHING - What in the world is up with all the chest everywhere in the world - some of them way off the beaten path that contain just a lightsaber piece the size of a quarter (I CANT SEE THAT) or a new paint job for the droid. This isn't Destiny and the aesthetics are barely noticeable but these things are everywhere.

This is one my biggest pet peeves of this recent generation of games. BOTW, God of War 4, Octopath Traveler, and countless others. They all employ that same design element of scattering chests around, some very well hidden, which contain essentially nothing substantial, sometimes even downgrades from what you already have. It's a fucking plague. It used to be that finding well-hidden chests in a game would reward you with upgrades that would give you some sort of substantial if not OP boost for a while. But not anymore, nope.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Yeah it's a hodgepodge of souls + metroidvania + cosmetics.

Chests are mostly useless, the parkas looks horrible. The souls system seems so disjointed, would have been a much better game without it.

Whoever did the map design needs to understand complex doesn't mean fun or challenging.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Yep. I had to push myself through by the end. A lot of fine ideas on paper, but most of them pulled from other genres / titles, all of which did them better, and here bolted together to make for this weird amalgamation of concepts that don't organically blend together. The game has almost no identity of its own, and while it's cliche to call it soulless (I don't think that), as a result it feels oddly sterile and formulaic. It's not really anything other than a milkshake of ingredients from other games. Which I suppose makes it comfortable, tried and true, but also safe and not particularly exceptional at any one idea.

But I also thought a bunch of other stuff wasn't as great as they were initially raved about. Combat, for example, is super sluggish and unsatisfying to me. It's only serviceable and on my end always felt...off. Like the obvious animation stalling and long animation wind up on so many attacks and functions put it so distant from its Souls inspiration that it's not even funny. The game constantly felt clumsy and messy in almost everything you do, whether it be combat and exploring. It excels at nothing, except visual presentation. And the rest, obviously, is the junk you've highlighted that doesn't add to the experience.

It's a good foundation though that I think could lead to a much, much better, more focused, and more defined experienced next time around. So I am admittedly keen for Fallen Order 2. But yeah, I was definitely taken back with all the praise and how my own experience felt. Too often I just felt...bored.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
It definitely does feel like it's trying to do a lot of different things. It has combat similar to Souls, a story style and light platforming similar to Uncharted, and a map style like Metroid. I agree that they should have probably tried to be more focused with what they want to do. I also feel like they're trying to play things pretty safe, by being similar to all these genres. I did like the game but it's probably like an 8/10 for me, there's definitely a lot of issues. I hope the next game tries to be a lot more unique with its ideas, both gameplay and story/setting wise.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Yep. At some point during my playthrough I had acquired new powers to let me reach previously inaccessible areas, and Greez is like "hey, you should go back to Zeffo. I bet you can explore more of that crashed Venator". I thought about what an unholy pain in the ass getting anywhere on Zeffo was for about five seconds, and I was like "nah, I'm good".

Why would it take you thirty minutes to explore the Venator when there's literally an elevator that leads directly to the area where you access it? 🤔

It is all those things. Its a hodgepodge that just happened to work
Which is what SW in general is. A hodge podge of different influences and FO re-contextualized that thinking when it came to trends in the gaming industry. It works so very well.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Time hasn't been kind to my opinions on the game. I'd probably goes as far as to say that I dislike it. It's unpolished, unfocused and only skated by on memberberries and my love for Respawn.

It's like a 5.5/10.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it until arout half way through when it just began to feel like a slog.

Really dull characters, completely unearned relationships, clunky combat, unrewarding rewards for exploration, shoe horned Souls style mechanics that made little sense, technical issues...

Just an unremarkable game that, imo, the brand carried.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I liked it, but i agree with you
Also, i dont know what happened with the tech side of the game. That part of the bird is so bad that its almost hilarious
Also, they tried to mimic uncharted set-pieces but...they couldn't match it in the tech side, action or interation ( the only set piece that you could say it looked okay, its in the very beggining)
They have a lot to work to make a better sequel.
But all that said, i enjoyed my time with it

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
None of that is as bad as the chest-opening animations and the comments he makes to BD-1 every. Single. Fucking. Time.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why would it take you thirty minutes to explore the Venator when there's literally an elevator that leads directly to the area where you access it? 🤔

Which is what SW in general is. A hodge podge of different influences and FO re-contextualized that thinking when it came to trends in the gaming industry. It works so very well.
There is no connective tissue design-wise that melds SW as a fiction to Fallen Orders gameplay design ideas.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I liked it. Could have used a little more time in the oven, felt a bit like it was coming out for the holidays no matter what.

Oct 26, 2017
Oh my god the Poncho! What an awful outfit and the terrible realization that all you could do is change the color and that's your cosmetic options for the game!

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I liked the game but it's probably the buggiest game I played this gen and it was only (hot take incoming) highly praised due to being one of the better star wars game in years compounded by DICE Battlefront game being disappointing mess, it was 6.5/10 and definitely not a goty contender.

You can definitely see the tight budget in that game and respect for Respawn pulling it off. Hopefully they have proven to EA that they can do it, as if Titanfall 2 campaign isn't enough proof lol

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I guess selling 10 million copies means you have more disappointed customers too.

I mean sure when you compare it to the all time greats, Tie Fighter, Dark Forces, KOTOR, it's not as good?

Compared to other games released in 2019? It's one of the absolute best.

Fachasaurus

Oct 27, 2017
They have laid a great groundwork for an excellent game. But they need to inject some of their own creativity and Star Wars flare. I want to be able to do things in the Star Wars universe I can't do in other games. I hope they refine the vision for the sequel and take it in a unique direction with its now well established roots.

eosos

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Honestly really enjoyed this game and overall would score it as a B+. I think issues around collectibles kind of miss me as I typically don't care about them, but agree that the Parka looked horrible. Also I think I got lucky as I honestly didn't encounter a single bug that stood out to me.. maybe because I was playing on the XSX?
Overall feel like there's a foundation for a phenomenal game and I'm really excited for the inevitable sequel. Sort of feels like Uncharted 1 to me.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Why is there SO MUCH SLIDING in this game? Why didn't the director play it all the way through and go wow this is a lot of sliding? Or maybe he did but it was just too late to change. That's reasonable. But soooo much sliding!!!

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
There is no connective tissue design-wise that melds SW as a fiction to Fallen Orders gameplay design ideas.
Objectively false.

This game absolutely nails the general feeling of SW and the way they thought out a ton of design decisions that make everything feel related.
-The story directly feeds into the gameplay's progression system and themes of the game. Cal gets more powerful as he becomes more comfortable with the idea of using the force, with the player's moveset expanding to accomodate. However, that act of becoming more comfortable makes him confront his trauma as a survivor of Order 66. Until it reaches a breaking point. The themes and story in general are about people dealing and coming to terms with their past trauma. Form the heroes, and the villains. Even in spite of a lack of time to polish to a T there is so much genuineness in the game and the way it presents it's themes via gameplay and story. And I don't see how customizing a lightsaber doesn't bring out flashbacks to childhood. Doesn't matter if you can't see it up close outside of the customization screen, it's what the act of doing that represents. Another thing, the way the game handles backtracking. Backtracking is at the majority of the time, player driven. The never forces you to come back exactly the same way you came without providing a metric fuckton of shortcuts because the game is always introducing new mechanics via the force powers and equipment for BD. Like, literally hte only time the game genuinely says,

"Ok, now go back EXACTLY the way came" is a fakeout that leads to an entirely new area and a new dynamic to the game that changes what happens when you decide to do some exploring via a new enemy type with multiple variants and movesets. And the player DOES want to backtrack, there's usually an incentive to do so via very good use of shortcuts that make what used to be a long journey the first time through, incredibly short on pretty much every planet. And the big thing, the main attraction, the combat, is sublime. Like not just incredibly responsive but also finally a lightsaber combat system that looks and feels the part. It's another example of how the game's systems are connected as abilities you unlock for exploration also have combat functions. Letting you express yourself but not feeling incredibly OP like in something like Force Unleashed. But still feeling like you have an edge because you're a jedi. This is a hard balancing act but it feels very very SW as a result. Really helps that the animation blending is very on point.
mVgqq7E.gif

4hsvzkM.gif

When I think of a game that doesn't feel coherent, this is not the one. I should not be able to articulate any of this.

Last edited:

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I am always surprised to see people complain about the collectibles being cool cosmetics. It was my favorite aspect of the game and searching for the perfect piece for my individualized saber really motivated me to go for the 100%. I hope they continue with that trend in the future.

I loved the game immensely, and I'm not even in to star wars. I played it on grand master and had a goddamn ball, locked at 120hz on my CRT and it was a total blast. No bugs either, which I hear plagued the console versions, but then again, the consoles are so long in the tooth at this point I'd be surprised if the game didn't bug out on them. It's a huge game. I can't wait for the sequel.

I am also so happy the game didn't have fast travel. Fuck that, the sense of place in the game was incredible.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I am always surprised to see people complain about the collectibles being cool cosmetics. It was my favorite aspect of the game and searching for the perfect piece for my individualized saber really motivated me to go for the 100%. I hope they continue with that trend in the future.

I loved the game immensely, and I'm not even in to star wars. I played it on grand master and had a goddamn ball, locked at 120hz on my CRT and it was a total blast. No bugs either, which I hear plagued the console versions, but then again, the consoles are so long in the tooth at this point I'd be surprised if the game didn't bug out on them. It's a huge game. I can't wait for the sequel.

I am also so happy the game didn't have fast travel. Fuck that, the sense of place in the game was incredible.

Cool cosmetics? The poncho looked atrocious in any colour and you can't even see the lightsaber customisation during gameplay.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Cool cosmetics? The poncho looked atrocious in any colour and you can't even see the lightsaber customisation during gameplay.
I liked all of the yellow customized colors and I could see the lightsaber just fine. I played on a 19" crt at 1600x1200. Y'all need glasses.

It was awesome making my own saber into something unique and personalized. Copper plating with a yellow beam? Hell yes.