• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i m cautiously excited . my first EA game purchase this gen .(i bought titan fall 2 .played it and sold it)

Shakerovic

Apr 26, 2019
I hope Fallen Order is good, but i also hope EA never gets exclusive license to Star Wars ever again

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Star Wars should never be an exclusive license to one publisher - there are so many gems from SW games past. Nobody in their right mind would make an RTS or 4X strategy game today. But someone should and I can understand that EA won't - but someone should.

EA can fuck off in general and it's a pity that SW is stuck with them for the next half decade.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know about ea and star wars in general. I don't like ea and I think star wars is over-venerated, but I will say I think JFO is going to be a good game. I have high hopes.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with this approach is that Fallen Order is anything but an EA game. They got it when they've bought Respawn and it shows in basically everything - the engine not being Frostbite, the game not being GAAS and/or multiplayer shooter, etc. If it will turn out to be great then it would hardly be a sign of EA proving that they deserve Star Wars and will in fact be somewhat the opposite of that.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Not sure where this line that Disney is deeply unhappy with the Star Wars license use by EA. Both Battlefront 1 & 2 sold over 20 million units and probably made a ton of cash in MTX.

Jedi Fallen order may even be the harder sell, as good as it is.

I'm also not sure why there's so much hand-wringing about Star Wars 1313 being cancelled. I'll bet there'd be tears still being shed today if Anthem was canceled before release.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
The problem with this approach is that Fallen Order is anything but an EA game. They got it when they've bought Respawn and it shows in basically everything - the engine not being Frostbite, the game not being GAAS and/or multiplayer shooter, etc. If it will turn out to be great then it would hardly be a sign of EA proving that they deserve Star Wars and will in fact be somewhat the opposite of that.

Huh?
Think Respawn just has more freedom then other EA studios bit like the new MS studios now. Offcourse they are owned and can use IP stuff but have freedom in what to make.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
They never did and never will. Regardless of how well Fallen Order does. Given how this gen played out, the IP would have been better off in Ubisoft's hands, or just licensed out on a per game basis.

iamsirjoshua

Oct 28, 2017
If EA loses the Star Wars license it'll just go to Activision next.

Honestly, in the back of my mind I'm wondering if the darkest timeline is that when this contract expires, Disney does another exclusive licensing agreement, it goes to another GaaS-focused mega publisher, and they manage to actually handle it worse than EA did. Suddenly, we're nostalgic for EA's management of the IP.

Sure hope not - the current Marvel approach would seem to make the most sense, but money talks.

That all being said, I'm hopeful for Fallen Order (regardless of what it may or may not prove about EA), and am looking forward to Friday.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope this does well and is good. So maybe EA will continue to invest in SW SP games

Deleted member 19996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Battlefront 2 is kind of great and has been for quite some time with all the changes and updates that have been made without charging a dime for the new content.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've said it before but Disney should have kept Lucasarts as a central licensing hub where publishers/developers of all shapes and sizes could pitch game concepts and potentially get their projects approved while a team at Lucasarts ensured that cannon and continuity were kept in check.

There's so much potential with SW games and regulating all that to one publisher was short-sighted and unfortunate.

Then again, Disney has also been very hands-off with their Marvel games. They seem to have little interest in the medium after their own internal game division failed years ago.

It's crazy to think that the two biggest film franchises in existence have received so few games over the last several years, yet here we are.

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Respaw deserves this chance. EA..... don't think so....

Dice really manages to capture the essence and feel of the star Wars universe, but the direction of both Battlefront was.... terrible at best. And you can see the same direction towards the latest Battlefield entries.

This is insane and a common ground for EA Games. I'll support Rewpawn... but please, take the Star Wars license out of EA.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
I hope Fallen Order is great and I felt BF1 was okayish and BF2 had some redeeming parts. But I really wish they would do more with VR as the free dlc for BF1 was amazing (if incredibly short).

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I like the gameplay I've seen so far, but I'm still not sure I'm interested in the story and characters. Hopefully it's good, watching Mandalorian actually want me a good star wars bounty hunter game. That 1st episode felt a lot like video games complete with loot and armor crafting, lol

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you include mobile they have released several more games than just 2 Battlefronts. One of which I know was doing very well at least a couple years ago

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i dunno a bunch of mediocre games match up pretty well with the mediocre movies

if fallen order is good it might mean the star wars license doesn't deserve EA

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
I don't mind that EA has the license for Star Wars games, but what I do mind is only one publisher holding it. That's insane, Disney should allow more companies a chance.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Respawn will most definitely deliver but goddamn was the exclusivity deal goddamned atrocious handing it to an incompetent publisher like EA.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Yeah, this is 100 percent an attempt to make a game that gets over an 85 on Metacritic so Disney doesn't pull the license -- if given their druthers, this is not the kind of game EA would be making.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
They have already proven that they don't deserve the license. One good game is not going to change that.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
Oh, I completely disagree, they're a perfect fit for Star Wars. Nothing but disappointments, the games fit in just fine with Star Wars films.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd love for there to be a scenario where Disney has a video game publishing division - and any developer/publisher can bring an idea to them, get funding to make a sort of extended concept demo, then further money to complete the game - then Disney publishes these games for release.

It'd allow every developer from Respawn to House House to bring an idea for a Star Wars game to Disney, and we'd probably get some really cool shit.

Jul 24, 2018
I'd love for there to be a scenario where Disney has a video game publishing division - and any developer/publisher can bring an idea to them, get funding to make a sort of extended concept demo, then further money to complete the game - then Disney publishes these games for release.

It'd allow every developer from Respawn to House House to bring an idea for a Star Wars game to Disney, and we'd probably get some really cool shit.
They could call it LucasArts or something, in honor of the creator himself!

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Let's be honest, they never made a BAD Star Wars game. The problem is the slow output of games, the mismanagement and the greed. Battlefront 2 despite loot boxes is my second favorite Star Wars game.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Why do people say this? They could still make a couple more awesome Star Wars games. They have almost half a decade left on this deal.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
if they would have done a lot of shitty games then maybe.

but the fact that this is only he third fucking game they have done in almost 10 years is ooof.

but yeah, it really feels like their last chance

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
As usual when it comes to this topic, peoples perception is pretty far from reality.

Funny seeing the "Respawn is not EA crowd" though, cmon, thats some nonsense.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
We really can't say he's a bad protagonist yet. Why do some people here have such a hate boner for Cal lol

My favorite space samurai in Star Wars is Asajj Ventress all down to her immaculate character design, and I like Starkiller because he has a cool and intimidating look to him

Cal looks like an herb. Why would I be excited for a dude who looks like a fuckin' herb.

Foxashel

Banned
Jul 18, 2019
This is Respawn. I expect the game to be so good that Disney straight up gives them full creative control of the entire IP.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Nah, both EA and Disney have made tons of money from the deal so I'm sure everyone's happy with it. I'm just hoping Fallen Order does well so we get more single player Star Wars games and not just lootbox grinds.