• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ronin1138

Banned
Jan 10, 2019
This game is easily my most anticipated for 2019...but I'm also (irrationally?) worried about it. How long has it actually been in production? EA didn't acquire Respawn until November 2017. So it will have been in production for less than two years when it releases? That is a distressingly short time in the hopper for what I assume is a high-caliber AAA game. Is it just a lot smaller scale than we should expect? Could it end up being a budget title (Hard to believe)? Obviously EA needed to get something out there with the shitshow that was the Battlefront 2 launch and then TWO Star Wars game cancellations after that. I'm just worried this will be a serious rush job.

I'm so excited to have a Respawn Star Wars game, but I see a lot of potential red flags here. Please, Era, convince me I'm crazy and worrying for nothing.

This game was announced in like 2015 dude.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I have every confidence that Respawn can make an awesome game. I'm just mainly hoping for two things.

1) Combat to be fairly in depth, rewarding and possibly even have a pretty high skill ceiling to help make replayability high. Considering the pedigree at work on this title (re: Stig, Respawn), I'm daring to hope that we'll get a decent western entrant in the "stylish action resurgence" we're enjoying at the moment.

2) Keep the game's original characters and story as FAR away from the settings of the movies, as possible. If the MC never sees/fights Vader or visits Yoda on Dagobah, and instead gets to have an adventure that's a much more personal quest in the Outer Rim and beyond, I'll be pleased as punch. Battlefront is still there if you want to see familiar places and faces.

Feb 15, 2018
yi6sxm4xugzy.gif
Lmao

Oct 27, 2017
Star Wars Celebration is going to be nuts this year. Our first looks at Episode IX, Mandalorian, Clone Wars season 7 (probably), and now this too, along with anything else they announce.
Not sure about episode 9 if i think about 8 and all the damage has been done. personally I definately hate their direction with the lore (jedis, siths, all the species and ....).

but the game. too excited about playing a true action star wars game

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
All i keep thinking is how much EA is going to charge for different lightsaber colors

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
For a min there I thought this was the title for episode IX lol

Anyways is this like the third attempt for a Star Wars game by EA?

Hopefully it's good

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much. Respawn make great stuff, but 'the Star Wars game [I've] been wanting for a long time now' is an RPG, not an action adventure. Which, I mean, it's not like I've never enjoyed an action adventure before, but it's rare that I get super excited for them. Add a dialogue system and all that junk, though...

Also I feel like there was as a leak a while back that - if it's in any way accurate - revealed we'll be stuck playing as a dude? Which, again, not like I've never enjoyed a game with a set male protagonist - yo Titanfall 2 was great - but it definitely puts a damper on my excitement.

Anyways, I'm sure it'll be a great game, since Respawn have a basically perfect record as of now. Just not sure it's gonna live up to the hype for me.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
This!!!

Other than that, I trust Respawn to make this work after Titanfall 2's campaign. Hopefully they can carry those skills over to Star Wars.
Yeah I really really hope we're not going back to pulling ships from the sky. Just give me some good, solid gameplay mechanics that maybe require a bit of a learning curve to master, tight, rewarding saber play, force powers that enhance and not replace experiences. Micro not macro.

I'd also love to have a solid MP component. JK days were just incredible.. dueling while other people watch/wait their turn and full out saber madness in deathmatch. Though I hope there's a good way to implement force abilities that become strategic instead of just pressing a button.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
Uh oh, I smell an Epic Store / Origin exclusive lol. But FUCK YES if it's UE4!

Epic Store exclusivity wouldn't make sense in this case, though.

It will probably be Origin exclusive like any EA game. They have their own service where they don't need to pay a cut to any storefront. If they ever put that on Epic Store it would be because of Epic moneyhatting, which actually would be a good thing for a change. This game probably won't be available anywhere else on PC beside Origin.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Epic Store exclusivity wouldn't make sense in this case, though.

It will probably be Origin exclusive like any EA game. They have their own service where they don't need to pay a cut to any storefront. If they ever put that on Epic Store it would be because of Epic moneyhatting, which actually would be a good thing for a change. This game probably won't be available anywhere else on PC beside Origin.
Very true, I'm hoping Epic won't try to miss out on that Star Wars money/moneyhat. More money for Respawn is always good (though I bet EA will pocket it all lol)

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I really really hope we're not going back to pulling ships from the sky. Just give me some good, solid gameplay mechanics that maybe require a bit of a learning curve to master, tight, rewarding saber play, force powers that enhance and not replace experiences. Micro not macro.

I'd also love to have a solid MP component. JK days were just incredible.. dueling while other people watch/wait their turn and full out saber madness in deathmatch. Though I hope there's a good way to implement force abilities that become strategic instead of just pressing a button.

Completely agree. Pulling ships from the sky was when things got a bit overboard... To say the least. I'd also like gameplay that is rewarding to master. I don't want to feel all powerful either. I want things to feel challenging. Since it seems like we're going to be a padawan in this game it would be nice to feel a since of fear and trepidation before entering encounters. It would force careful strategy.

I definitely remember the JK multiplayer days. Man, I loved those. Some of the most fun I've had. It'll be really tricky to get force powers right. Still, I trust in Respawn to get it done in a way that feels satisfying. Can't wait to see what they are cooking up!

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Completely agree. Pulling ships from the sky was when things got a bit overboard... To say the least. I'd also like gameplay that is rewarding to master. I don't want to feel all powerful either. I want things to feel challenging. Since it seems like we're going to be a padawan in this game it would be nice to feel a since of fear and trepidation before entering encounters. It would force careful strategy.

I definitely remember the JK multiplayer days. Man, I loved those. Some of the most fun I've had. It'll be really tricky to get force powers right. Still, I trust in Respawn to get it done in a way that feels satisfying. Can't wait to see what they are cooking up!
The Force is strong with this one

Miracle Ache

Oct 25, 2017
Really excited to finally see this. I'm one of the few who actually liked the Battlefront 2 campaign and with Respawn at the helm I'm expecting this to be even better.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland

I don't think you should worry about that. Jason Ward from Making Star Wars said that it's inspired by The Force Unleashed, but without "the fluff" and it will be consistent with canon, so no pulling starships out of the sky whatsover.

I think its more about that Fallen Order like TFU is set between EIII and EIV and is action-adventure game from third person perspective. Lightsaber combat will probably have a bigger focus here. I recently replayed TFU 1 and 2, lightsaber felt like an afterthought in comparison to Jedi Knight games.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I don't think you should worry about that. Jason Ward from Making Star Wars said that it's inspired by The Force Unleashed, but without "the fluff" and it will be consistent with canon, so no pulling starships out of the sky whatsover.

I think its more about that Fallen Order like TFU is set between EIII and EIV and is action-adventure game from third person perspective. Lightsaber combat will probably have a bigger focus here. I recently replayed TFU 1 and 2, lightsaber felt like an afterthought in comparison to Jedi Knight games.
That's a lot more comforting, thank you. Though I just wonder what the context is for "inspired by The Force Unleashed ", because that game has very few redeeming qualities, especially in comparison to the Jedi Knight series.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
This is the game that Stig was directing when they teased it back in 2015 right?

edit: 2016

Just so you know it is not that game. That little clip is linked to the Amy Hennig game that got canceled. The only thing we have seen from stigs game is the behind the scene looks from past e3's. We've honesly only seen two mocap characters go eat each other with wooden lightsabers haha. Still can't wait for this game tho it's going to something special

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
That's a lot more comforting, thank you. Though I just wonder what the context is for "inspired by The Force Unleashed ", because that game has very few redeeming qualities, especially in comparison to the Jedi Knight series.

It's probably about using the same era and a fact that both games draw some inspiration from older God of War games. I'm actually interested how they handle the fact a main protagonist is on a run. Will he be constantly using his lightsaber or maybe there will be sequences where he tries to hide the fact he is a Jedi exactly what Kanan was doing at a beginning of Rebels. He will probably be hunted by Vader and his inquisitors.

Oct 27, 2017
Inland Empire
Just so you know it is not that game. That little clip is linked to the Amy Hennig game that got canceled. The only thing we have seen from stigs game is the behind the scene looks from past e3's. We've honesly only seen two mocap characters go eat each other with wooden lightsabers haha. Still can't wait for this game tho it's going to something special
No I know. I actually linked to the part where they show of Stig's game. Well them working on it with the part you described.