• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

A legend. He was 88 years old.

YEQXO3EZ3JFJNMRABMI7GCFOGU.jpg

I'll probably watch "Fear over the city" tonight.

Last edited:

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
RIP Bebel. It was a pleasure seeing him in person 5 years ago. One of his first movies, « Un Singe en Hiver » with Jean Gabin is a must see.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
The link between silent-era derringdo and the stunt spectacle of Jackie Chan & Hong Kong action

RIP to a versatile daring actor and incredible stunt-performer

Luna V.

Oct 27, 2017
RIP. Loved him in the usual New Wave fare, esp. Pierrot le Fou. Might revisit it today...

spinach-scene.jpg

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, RIP. Was constantly surprised he was still alive. Breathless is not my Cup of tea, but Pierrot le Fou was exquisite

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
RIP
We lost great French actors in the last year or so.
Michel Piccoli, Claude Brasseur.
I was surprised to find out Jean-Louis Trintignant is still alive. Catherine Deneuve too. Those French actors live long lives.

TrashyPanda

Oct 28, 2017
RIP! Pierrot Le Fou is one of my favorites, Belmondo is the first person I think of when I think French New Wave. Even more so than Goddard. An icon.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Damn. Breathless is a bona fide classic. I also just watched The Professional recently, which was fun trash.

R.I.P.

Irmavep

Oct 27, 2017
RIP, legend.
He was the face of the Nouvelle Vague, but also an incredible action star, doing his own stunts.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
RIP to one of modern European cinema's iconic actors. I hope there's fruitful years ahead for Delon, Trintignant, & their contemporaries still living it up. It's what JPB would want.

Jean Seberg died of suicide after a smear campaign led by J. Edgar Hoover.

USA. USA. USA.
COINTELPRO really fucked over a lot of socially-conscious artists, huh. I'm surprised they chose to ruin Seberg and not move on to Jane Fonda, but maybe that would have been too obvious. It's all fucked up, of course.

Jun 24, 2021
Wait so "Belmondo" is a French last name for real then?! All these years I thought that was just the Japanese way of pronouncing "Belmont" (big Castlevania fan here). Makes me wonder why they didn't just stick with Belmondo for every region then.

RIP to this actor. I didn't know him but I'm sure he was very good and will be missed.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Wait so "Belmondo" is a French last name for real then?! All these years I thought that was just the Japanese way of pronouncing "Belmont" (big Castlevania fan here). Makes me wonder why they didn't just stick with Belmondo for every region then.

RIP to this actor. I didn't know him but I'm sure he was very good and will be missed.

yeah the name was directly inspired by him, and it's not the only thing he inspired in japan :

Belmondo-et-Johnson-.jpg

cobra space adventures

Arilian

Oct 29, 2020
It's his real last name, but it's not a typical French last name: his father family was from Italy.

I knew Cobra was inspired by him, but I didn't knew Belmont's name was inspired by his name. Maybe he didn't want his name to be use by a video game and Konami respected his wishes outside of Japan.