• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gyroscope

Oct 25, 2017
I want to thank you all for posting some amazing bands and songs! I'm slowly going through the thread after discovering so much here already. I've had playlists with Fox Capture Plan and Gogo Penguin and similar on damn near repeat everyday at work for over a month.

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
We lost an African genius today due to the COVID, I'm lost of words, my heat is broke...but Manu always had a smile on his face and an iconic laugh. I will try to do the same, have hope and faith and deals with this shit with a smile.

I don't wanna post Soul Makossa because of the Michael Jackson and Quincy Jones shameless steal

I wanna post something a little bit personal

RIP Manu

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
I will flood this thread in the next days with his material
More recs please! I listened to Soul Makossa and Wakafrika today and would enjoy more but don't know what to head for
I was listening this album that Youtube randomly showed and this song (specifically the bass) made me stop and listen.

Nim Sadot - IMA

Edit: This whole album is amazing here's the link
Nim Sadot - Nim Quartet
Bandcamp

I do like what the bass and keys are doing on this.

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
More recs please! I listened to Soul Makossa and Wakafrika today and would enjoy more but don't know what to head for

I haven't posted because I'm a little bit in denial atm
The guy was very prolific, to say the least

Start with Kamer Feeling

(around 3:40 Makossa kick in, fantastic)

Kamer Feeling is maybe my favourite because it's what happens when jazz meets makossa. Makossa was the most popular style of music in my country when I was a child so for me, it's like (stereotype) rap or RnB for a black American, so for me, it's THE MUSIC. You may find something like Mouvement Ewondo very strange because you don't know and understand the rhythm so be patient, but If you like what people call "world music" it should not be a problem because it's very groovy and your body will move without your consent

and this compilation is also good

Bonus, I fucking love this song

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017

Not sure if this is completely jazz, but it has a kind of futuristic jazz feel to it, to me. And I wanted to support this thread.

And more pure jazz, Bebop jazz?

Last edited:

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't posted because I'm a little bit in denial atm
The guy was very prolific, to say the least

Start with Kamer Feeling

(around 3:40 Makossa kick in, fantastic)

Kamer Feeling is maybe my favourite because it's what happens when jazz meets makossa. Makossa was the most popular style of music in my country when I was a child so for me, it's like (stereotype) rap or RnB for a black American, so for me, it's THE MUSIC. You may find something like Mouvement Ewondo very strange because you don't know and understand the rhythm so be patient, but If you like what people call "world music" it should not be a problem because it's very groovy and your body will move without your consent

and this compilation is also good

Bonus, I fucking love this song

Listened to Kamer Feeling this morning, solid stuff. Little touches of dance and rap to accent the afrobeat guitars, killer horn runs, propulsive percussion.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
Tough time. Wallace Roney, Ellis Marsalis, Bucky Pizzarelli. The first two were lost from coronavirus-related illness.

McCoy Tyner also passed away earlier this month (non-covid related). I start to fear for the very few legends who are left: Ahmad Jamal, Wayne Shorter, Lou Donaldson, Roy Haynes, Sonny Rollins, Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock and Kenny Burrell. I believe most of them live in New York.

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to share this with you... I just find out that Marvin Pontiac isn't even real. My life was a lie all this time I know it. Who the f are you John Lurie

Listened to Kamer Feeling this morning, solid stuff. Little touches of dance and rap to accent the afrobeat guitars, killer horn runs, propulsive percussion.

Kamer Feeling was not originals materials for the most, Manu was doing a facelift to his older song, I'm glad he did it because it makes it easy for someone like me to jump in his universe

Mouvement Ewondo
70' (soooooooo goooood)

2000'

McCoy Tyner also passed away earlier this month (non-covid related). I start to fear for the very few legends who are left: Ahmad Jamal, Wayne Shorter, Lou Donaldson, Roy Haynes, Sonny Rollins, Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock and Kenny Burrell. I believe most of them live in New York.

Very scary. Things are very bad here in Italy and the numbers are not telling the truth, they are basically wartime propaganda message for the moral

Oct 25, 2017
Any fans of Dizzy Gillespie here? Mike Longo, who was a long-time collaborator with Dizzy, died from covid-19 recently. I met him a number of times, really nice guy.

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
Any fans of Dizzy Gillespie here? Mike Longo, who was a long-time collaborator with Dizzy, died from covid-19 recently. I met him a number of times, really nice guy.
RIP

www.jazziz.com

That time Dizzy ran for U.S. president - JAZZIZ Magazine

Trumpeter Dizzy Gillespie wasn't only a key innovator of bebop and the jazz idiom at large; he was also known for being a prankster whose mischievous humor occasionally got him in trouble. He played his most remarkable prank in 1963 and 1964, when he got as close to becoming president of the...
america.aljazeera.com

Dizzy Gillespie for president: When politics was a groovier thing

It started as a joke: Dizzy Gillespie’s agency had some buttons made, because, you see, it’s funny

There's a live from that campaign that I love, (can't find a link atm) I love his interaction with the public
Fuck the covid

Deleted member 290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Youtube suggested to me 'No Problem' by Chet Baker and I think this is the record to finally make me go "huh...I might like jazz" after 35 years on this planet.

Any recommendations for similar?

I'll check some of the links already posted, but I looked up an essential jazz albums listicle and none of the recommended albums shared a similar tone to the Chet one, or were too 'all over the place' for me, I think? Stuff like Miles Davis and John Coltrane. I think it's more about aesthetic quality over musicality for me, at the moment. Basically, if it sounds like the soundtrack to some lonely midnight bar, gimme!

Oct 27, 2017
Youtube suggested to me 'No Problem' by Chet Baker and I think this is the record to finally make me go "huh...I might like jazz" after 35 years on this planet.

Any recommendations for similar?

I'll check some of the links already posted, but I looked up an essential jazz albums listicle and none of the recommended albums shared a similar tone to the Chet one, or were too 'all over the place' for me, I think? Stuff like Miles Davis and John Coltrane. I think it's more about aesthetic quality over musicality for me, at the moment. Basically, if it sounds like the soundtrack to some lonely midnight bar, gimme!

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Dawn of Midi

Had some crossover success, but it feels that the album was slept on in Jazz circles (I saw em in NYC's jazzfest).

It's a minimalist trio, with a heavy focus on interlocking rhythms which seems almost electronic at times (hence their crossover) even though it's all acoustic. Kind of dark & ominous sounding

Last edited:

LittleTokyo

Oct 30, 2017

This has been my favorite Jazz recording of the last month or so. I've listened to it numerous times over the last few weeks.