• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
Have you never listened to a podcast that he's on? His love of JRPG is probably what stands out the most about him. He won their annual predictions last year and made the other co-hosts play FF6. I remember he was pushing Legend of Heroes so hard. He constantly references Suikoden as his favourite games.

I only knew he is the best gaming journalist but had no idea about him as a person, I was checking and he does love JRPGs, I should check that podcast.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Not really. It's usually the opposite. Arkane's games normally get overlooked in the awards season despite being beloved by the fans.

I'm a huge Arkane fan, and I was disappointed by the game. It's still good, just nowhere near as good as Dishonored and Prey.

Exactly my feelings. Deathloop let me down, even if I did enjoy a lot of my time with it. Prey and Dishonored (especially 2) were just so much better.

pastry knife

Mar 10, 2020
Arise and Bravely Default? Even if you like jrpgs they're not all that.

Not sure what Jason's take was on BD2, but for me, even if the story and world were by-the-numbers, the battle and job systems were so satisfying to play and tinker with (particularly on hard mode), that the game is on my top 10 as well.

(Also love the music. And the characters grew on me as it went on.)

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
Cool list, a lot of these games I have either played and liked or am hoping to get around to. The Forgotten City especially, as I played the Skyrim mod it's based on and it's absolutely wonderful.

Also delighted to see more people champion The House in Fata Morgana, what an exceptional visual novel. Some very challenging content there but if you can stomach it, a really beautiful experience.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I need to finish Attorney.

I did start Fata Morgana but the suggested incest is really putting me off.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Echoes of the Eye really deserves more end of list nods, and discounting it as 'dlc' does a huge disservice to it. It was easily over a 10 plus hour experience for me though others completion times will vary depending on how quickly you figure out the puzzles and how the dlc area works.

Despite my frustrations with how it felt more grindy and repetitive than the main game due to some pacing issues with how long it takes to get there and get new things done during each loop it's stayed with me more than most things in 2021. Incredibly inventive puzzle design that builds on the intuitive discovery, 'a ha!' moments of the core game. Felt like I was playing a classic sci-fi novel in parts.

Check it out ya'll!

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what Jason's take was on BD2, but for me, even if the story and world were by-the-numbers, the battle and job systems were so satisfying to play and tinker with (particularly on hard mode), that the game is on my top 10 as well.

(Also love the music. And the characters grew on me as it went on.)

IMO, Bravely Default 2 is the best designed Job mechanics from any of the FFV-likes. So many interesting synergies to consider. I strongly recommend people go on bling rather than min maxing grind strategies to bypass the great design of the game. Every job is useful, every job has a killer move, every job has good passives.

I adored the soundtrack, in general.

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Seriously, almost certainly my favorite of the six "FFV-likes".

Arise and Bravely Default? Even if you like jrpgs they're not all that.

I think that is really reductive. JRPG is a huge dumptruck of a genre that gets a bunch of nonsense groupings. They are two very distinct styles out of like 8 or so genres that just get lumped together into "JRPG". FFV-like and Star Ocean / Tales are totally different experiences, and are distinct enough to have their focused audiences.

Last edited:

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Arkane in a nutshell unfortunately

I must say that as a Arkane games fan, Deathloop is my least liked game from them - I just don't like the style of their gamestyle took way in Deathloop.. I always like immersive sim games when they offer me to play atleast the majority of the game stealthily and I dont think this can applied to Deathloop campaign .. even CP77 I could finish pretty much the whole game stealthily, which is a strong contrast to Deathloop.. I don't know, the problem can be entirely with him, because I absolutely love Dark Messiah of Might and Magic from them, even though you can't finish the whole game stealthily but I feel the level design and overall gameplay in DM is more in the style that I like than how - and how I expect it to be being designed in a immersive sim RPG - it's designed in DL

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
The two 10's from GS and IGN really hyped me up and then I was left scratching my head at all the issues I had with the game.

I played the game on PS5 after they patched it and didn't have any issues. Wait there was one time when the game froze but thats it.
Idk if it was buggy on PS5 at launch but I know on PC there were some issues.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Deathloop ended up being a huge disappointment for me.

Only 4 levels, spent most my time in the menu between missions, un-interesting level design, poor AI, limits on weapons and abilities (requiring you to leave a mission to change). I could go on.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Funny seeing Fata Morgana on the list when I played (and loved) that like 3 years ago? Good exposure, but seems like a waste of a spot to put an older game that was ported to a new system on the list.

I'll legit take any and all exposure for fata morgana. Not like very many people have played it at all, and I consider one of the single most impactful games I've played/stories I've experienced.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deathloop was legit. I'm glad Arkane changed things up coming from Dishonored and Dishonored 2. Didn't want things to get stale.

Also based on the strength of everyone's praise here - just bought House in Fata Morgana on Steam on sale for $13 CAD. Not normally much of a VN guy - but with all this effusive praise (and a deep discount), why not!

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Well I bought Overboard a few hours ago and just finished it. Enjoyed it thoroughly!

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see some love for the game here! Though I get why it wasn't what everyone was looking for.

I'm curious, what are the other FFV likes? Other than the other Bravely games.

FFV, FF Dimensions, Final Fantasy Gaiden, Bravely Default (which was Final Fantasy Gaiden 2 early in development), Bravely Second, and Bravely Default 2. Just heroes on an adventure with the Final Fantasy Job system.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
i can sort of see it with great ace attorney chronicles because it was JP only until now but fata morgana was localized for english and readily available starting in 2016 and steadily after on various platforms so yeah i also have beef with its inclusion on this list, not saying it's not a good game or anything but it doesn't belong on a list for 2021.

at that point people should just call it "best games i played this year" and there would be no problems with that. like this year i played nioh 2 and loved it. would i say it's one of the best games of 2021? no, because it's a game released in 2020.

yeah it just feels weird

Fata Morgana is one of my favorite things i've ever read but that was 5 years ago at this point and it wasn't even like it was a fan translation

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
i can sort of see it with great ace attorney chronicles because it was JP only until now but fata morgana was localized for english and readily available starting in 2016 and steadily after on various platforms so yeah i also have beef with its inclusion on this list, not saying it's not a good game or anything but it doesn't belong on a list for 2021.

at that point people should just call it "best games i played this year" and there would be no problems with that. like this year i played nioh 2 and loved it. would i say it's one of the best games of 2021? no, because it's a game released in 2020.

Yeah, I just kind of assume when individuals put out these lists anymore that's basically what they are. And it's like, it's fine and all, people can do whatever they want with their list and it's obviously the trend now (I see so many lists that have random games from 2020 or 2018 or whatever on it). It kills the purist in me lol, but it's their list and all so whatever.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Fata Morgana was a surprising and inspired pick. Arise was meh but hey I'm glad that this series is finally starting to get attention in the west.