• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-12-24/the-best-video-games-of-2020

"While 2020 was a trash fire for most of the world, business was booming in the video game industry. Production was hampered by people working from home, but sales skyrocketed, and the games were as good as ever. For anyone looking for distraction over the holiday season, here's a roundup of the best titles this year."

- Hades
- Final Fantasy VII Remake
- Call of the Sea
- Demon's Souls
- Assassin's Creed Valhalla
- Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout
- Paper Mario: The Origami King
- Bugsnax
- Ori and the Will of the Wisps
- Jackbox Party Pack 7

Saw that the OP requested the thread to be locked because they felt it was being derailed. I didn't get the chance to interact with everybody else before it was locked and I'm a fan of Triple Click even if Jason is a Jets fan.
If mods are upset at a duplicate thread I guess I understand.
Personally I've only played Hades and Ff7 remake on his list and I really enjoyed both of them. Never finished FF7 but that was purely cause I got distracted as I'd love to go back to it soon.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
H-hey. jschreier. Y-you're missing a game... right? 13 Sentinels? Comeon man.

Hope dwindling...

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
We had a thread on this but it got locked. Hopefully people are more civil in this one.

www.resetera.com

Bloomberg - Jason Schreier's top 10 games of 2020

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-12-24/the-best-video-games-of-2020 - Hades - Final Fantasy VII Remake - Call of the Sea - Demon’s Souls - Assassin’s Creed Valhalla - Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout - Paper Mario: The Origami King - Bugsnax - Ori and the Will of the Wisps - Jackbox...

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Glad Paper Mario got some attention but there's no Animal Crossing. I'm torn if I should slightly smile or angrily shake my head.

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see Jackbox getting a little love; my wife and I used to get together with friends from out of town for board games every couple of months, but since Covid we've been using Discord, Tabletop Simulator and a whole lot of Jackbox.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't fault someone's personal top list but it makes me sad how many 2020 lists don't have Streets of Rage 4 on them.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
That's a nice personal list. My biggest games of the year aren't on there, but it's always cool to see Bugsnax on more end of year lists.

OP
OP
Bigwombat

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Already a thread

Edit: Oh, didn't know it got locked

He played it and enjoyed but felt it fell apart in the last third.
Yeah I happened to see it right after it got locked. I haven't listened to the new triple click yet but I'm about to go to the grocery store and listen while I shop. The oil delivery guy just blocked me into my driveway though.

I have a feeling I'm losing power tonight:( High wind warning and tons of rain. Anyway hope everyone is doing well and I'll check back in an hour or so

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Honestly, as someone who enjoyed 13 sentinels, I think that's fair. A lot of stuff that happened in the last 20% of the game did not stick the landing.
I really liked the a lot of the character interactions and smaller moments. But the story in its entirety was often not that interesting to me, beside a couple elements.
I don't personally care that much about big twists in a vacuum either.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, as someone who enjoyed 13 sentinels, I think that's fair. A lot of stuff that happened in the last 20% of the game did not stick the landing.
"Oh so they're not actually traveling through time, just to different places, cool! .......but wait that doesn't even matter because it's all just VR? the fuck? It was like the writers couldn't decide which sci-fi tropes to take so they just took them all. And it didn't help that everyone was either a clone or had amnesia and deliberately vague motivations. By the end of the game I was way more confused than satisfied.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
TLOU2 missing, but considering his coverage of the crunch, I completely get why it's missing.

He played it and enjoyed but felt it fell apart in the last third.
I can understand that. I love the game, but it does get messy once you get to 80% with everyone and get most of Gouto's route unlocked.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I think he was pretty clear on how much he hates crunch so I think it would be on principle he wouldn't put that game there.
If he hated crunch so much then I presume he'd hate sexual assualt allegations even more, yet AC:V is there. Maybe some people just dont care for a game that others seem to like; not everything has to have an ulterior motive besides just not finding something appealing to them.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It really seems the settings and themes I like the most in Assassin's Creed (1, III, Unity) are often lukewarm at best, while the ones I'm not a huge fan of (Black Flag, Valhalla) get the best reception, haha.

The exceptions are II, and parts of Syndicate/Origins/Odyssey (although I didn't finish the latter).

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
Afraid to even comment on this thread after one fanboy bit my head off because I didnt like a game that he loved so much. Guess I'm just too "willfully ignorant" to keep up with certain people's tastes.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just to put an end to this debate, The Last of Us 2 is not on the list because I did not think it was very good. (The first is one of my favorite games of all time.)

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
I think he was pretty clear on how much he hates crunch so I think it would be on principle he wouldn't put that game there.
He also didn't like it much. He talked about it extensively on Triple Click. The crunch stuff isn't the only reason it's not on this list.
Just to put an end to this debate, The Last of Us 2 is not on the list because I did not think it was very good. (The first is one of my favorite games of all time.)
Edit: Beaten by the man himself!

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Great list of games here. It's almost like this list is called HIS top ten games, so it's what he enjoyed most.

Crazy that people have different opinions on media they partake in, though!

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see Ori on there, and I knew he enjoyed Call of the Sea via Twitter but cool to see it on the list!

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
List convinced me to give Paper Mario another run. I bounced off due to other games previously. Nice list Jason!

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Meh list

especially these three.
- Assassin's Creed Valhalla
- Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout
- Paper Mario: The Origami King

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Still surprised that Jason, who I usually agree with on JRPGs, liking the cluster fuck that is the ending of FF7R

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Have you put your thoughts on the game somewhere to be read? I'm curious to know the details of this opinion.

Oct 29, 2018
"Oh so they're not actually traveling through time, just to different places, cool! .......but wait that doesn't even matter because it's all just VR? the fuck? It was like the writers couldn't decide which sci-fi tropes to take so they just took them all. And it didn't help that everyone was either a clone or had amnesia and deliberately vague motivations. By the end of the game I was way more confused than satisfied.
Wait... what in the name of cheddar cheese crackers
That story sounds outrageous

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I was excited for Call of the Sea but the puzzles were incredibly disappointing, and some totally obtuse. Shame because I enjoyed the setting and story.