• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Are you in the app? You have to buy from the website
I was on my phone using the browser not the amazon app. Now I'm on my PC browser and it shows me Audiobook, Paperback, or Audio CD. Never shows Kindle option. I have one though!

Fake edit: the amazon.ca page shows the kindle version for $1.99 though. What is going on?

I think this is the same thing that happened when I was trying to find some Michael Lewis books because it was saying the same stuff. And now that I checked those kindle versions are showing up in the .ca store. Do I have some settings wrong or something? Does it think I'm in Beaverland?

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the heads up! While I'm not really interested in any of the studios Jason covers in the book, I'm curious to read about game development and project management in the industry.
I bet it will be a nice read!

OP
OP
DyslexicAlucard
Oct 26, 2017

I agree, we are robbing you by getting it for so cheap. ;)

I was on my phone using the browser not the amazon app. Now I'm on my PC browser and it shows me Audiobook, Paperback, or Audio CD. Never shows Kindle option. I have one though!

Fake edit: the amazon.ca page shows the kindle version for $1.99 though. What is going on?

I think this is the same thing that happened when I was trying to find some Michael Lewis books because it was saying the same stuff. And now that I checked those kindle versions are showing up in the .ca store. Do I have some settings wrong or something? Does it think I'm in Beaverland?

From my experience, Amazon has problems displaying Kindle titles on their webpage store/app. It only gets worse when a title is on sale in one specific region, or not even available in another. It can be kind of a disaster, at times. My advice is to futz around with different apps/stores until you find one that has the proper pricing. Not ideal, but it's what I usually have to resort to. =/

Don't wanna support Amazon but damn that price

Not sure if you have qualms about doing business with another giant conglomerate, Google, but apparently they have it on sale as well:

It's $1.99 for the Kindle version in the US.

It's also available through Google Play Books.

https://play.google.com/store/books/details?pcampaignid=books_read_action&id=-bK-DQAAQBAJ

Luckily I checked before making the mistake of buying it through Amazon.

iBooks too!

Thanks for the heads up! It's on sale on iBooks too

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
jschreier you may have mentioned this elsewhere and before, but are there plans to do another book like this? I bought it last week and read it all in two days, it was fascinating.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I agree, we are robbing you by getting it for so cheap. ;)

From my experience, Amazon has problems displaying Kindle titles on their webpage store/app. It only gets worse when a title is on sale in one specific region, or not even available in another. It can be kind of a disaster, at times. My advice is to futz around with different apps/stores until you find one that has the proper pricing. Not ideal, but it's what I usually have to resort to. =/

Not sure if you have qualms about doing business with another giant conglomerate, Google, but apparently they have it on sale as well:

iBooks too!
It doesn't even show up on my kindle through the store either. And now refreshing the page made it go away on the .ca store.

All I see is this on the us amazon store:
taXQ1Pr.png

When I click through your link in the op I get this:
mKZ1Wf3.png

"This title is not currently avaliable for purchase"

Why? I have an American address and I'm trying to buy from the American store.

Edit: Finally fixed it, why on earth did amazon think my kindle was in the United Kingdom? I've never done anything with that. Stupid website. And why wouldn't it tell me it was a region thing, their vague messages were garbage.

Last edited:

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
jschreier you may have mentioned this elsewhere and before, but are there plans to do another book like this? I bought it last week and read it all in two days, it was fascinating.
I'm writing a new book, but it won't be like this.

Well, it's also about the video game industry and it's also based on tons of brand new firsthand interviews with sources, but it's not going to be specifically about how games are made.

You can sign up here for updates: https://tinyletter.com/jasonschreier

And read my first update here: https://tinyletter.com/jasonschreier/letters/my-new-book-status-report

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

Well, it's also about the video game industry and it's also based on tons of brand new firsthand interviews with sources, but it's not going to be specifically about how games are made.

And read my first update here: https://tinyletter.com/jasonschreier/letters/my-new-book-status-report

Thanks, I've signed up. Will definitely be picking it up regardless when it comes out!

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017

This sounds even more interesting. Best of luck finishing it.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
As I posted on Twitter, it's an amazing read. Highly recommended at full price, let alone $1.99

Oh awesome! Can't wait!!

Last edited:

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't even show up on my kindle through the store either. And now refreshing the page made it go away on the .ca store.

All I see is this on the us amazon store:
taXQ1Pr.png

When I click through your link in the op I get this:
mKZ1Wf3.png

"This title is not currently avaliable for purchase"

Why? I have an American address and I'm trying to buy from the American store.

Edit: Finally fixed it, why on earth did amazon think my kindle was in the United Kingdom? I've never done anything with that. Stupid website. And why wouldn't it tell me it was a region thing, their vague messages were garbage.

How did you fix it? I'm also having this issue.

Involution

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Damn this is impulse buy territory. I'll definitely throw a couple bucks in to support Jason even if I don't get the time to read it.

I probably will read it though, just a matter of when.

Ramako

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Listened to this on Audible and I can't wait for a sequel. Really gives you insight into how and why games end up the way they do.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
How did you fix it? I'm also having this issue.
It was in some setting that I probably would have never found myself. I had opened it in a different browser, and I was signed out. I added it to my cart, and then it asked me to sign in. After that it gave me the region error message with a link to change my country.

I'm not sure how people can complain about the steam store with usability and visability because after using the Amazon Kindle store woo boy is it amazing in comparison.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
ell, it's also about the video game industry and it's also based on tons of brand new firsthand interviews with sources, but it's not going to be specifically about how games are made.
Hopefully it's about how it's definitely a hellish place to work compared to most software companies. Even the non-coding departments.

You know, stuff you don't find the time for the main website when you're busy with the latests about buffs, what the famous guy thinks about buffing, and letters that make for good PR.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Whew I bought it yesterday and just finished it now. Thanks for writing that book Jason. It was a great read.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I'm in the minority, but I didn't really like the book much. I felt there was a disconnect between the narration's emphasis on how difficult it was to make games, and what actually occurred in each of the stories.

Stardew Valley? "There were some stumbles, but I tried really hard and thus made a great game."

The Witcher III? "There were some stumbles, but we tried really hard and thus made a great game."

Shovel Knight? "There were some stumbles, but we tried really hard and thus made a great game."

Star Wars 1313? "There were some stumbles, but we tried really hard and we would've made a great game, but unfortunately it was out of our control."

Not all chapters were like this, and there was definitely a lot of interesting stuff all throughout. I don't regret my purchase at all. Still, I've liked a lot of Jason's Kotaku articles more than many of the book chapters, which was disappointing to me.

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Just picked it up. Enjoyable so far and definitely a light, breezy read, while still being somewhat illuminating and a cool inside look at how our favorite medium for entertainment is created from the business side.

My early take away is that passionate people are definitely being exploited while creating things they are passionate about. I guess video games are another unethical thing I currently consume.

For $2, everyone should grab a copy, just to ensure we get more and more long form journalism for video games.

Last edited:

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Good look, OP.

Great read, I thought. I need to give it another go though, as it's been a while and I'm getting stuff I read in it mixed up with stuff I read in Keighley's books I think.

I thought I pre-ordered it, because I'm pretty sure I heard Mr. Schreier say at least once "pre-order my book" on a video or podcast or something, but maybe I didn't...

Hqe4TGm.png