• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Been following this on twitter as also very keen to hear the new podcast. I don't really know about bloomberg (I'm in te UK) but sounds from comments like it's well received.
If anyone hasn't read Jason's book yet, and likes his style of reporting, I'd highly recommend it.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Lmao, what's the point of people trying to shame/guilt trip him for taking what is probably a better paying gig

the_id

Oct 25, 2017
I bought your book jschreier and loved it and really hoped more games journalists were....you know, really journalists. Gaming industry is as big as movie industry now and deserves to be taken seriously by mainstream media and I can't be happier with you taking the helm and hope more game journalists take this seriously. I wished more of these so called gaming sites have real journalists like you.

All the best jschreier

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
Game developers better shape up. Schreier's reporting will be reaching a potentially wider audience. All them "crunch culture" reports will be an even worse PR look

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
Based on his opinion on labour practices, yes. It's like a environmentalist working for BP, while advocating to save the planet.

I mostly meant that Kotakus owners, G/O Media, just had their own union busting spree killing off whole sites and sometimes even just on the whim of the billionaire in charge.

Your analogy might not be completely wrong but it was just as applicable of Kotaku.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Jason you mad man! I can't believe you've kept up the "real proper investigative journalist" act for so long. It's been like 10 years since I bet you couldn't keep it up for more than a month. You've even got Bloomberg fooled! Lol!

What an absolute legend!!! You can stop now though, and tell us which is your fave, PS5 or SeX4 ?

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Based on his opinion on labour practices, yes. It's like a environmentalist working for BP, while advocating to save the planet.
This isn't true for all sorts of reasons, and Bloomberg News has done some incredible work covering labor in everything from Google to food. I wouldn't have joined this newsroom if I wasn't confident that they'd let me do work that makes me proud.

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't true for all sorts of reasons, and Bloomberg News has done some incredible work covering labor in everything from Google to food. I wouldn't have joined this newsroom if I wasn't confident that they'd let me do work that makes me proud.

www.cnn.com

Mike Bloomberg to Bloomberg News reporters upset over not being able to probe Democrats: 'With your paycheck comes some restrictions'

Mike Bloomberg, the billionaire Democratic presidential candidate, said employees at his news organization "just have to learn to live with some things" when asked about their frustrations over the outlet's 2020 election policy forbidding the investigation of Democratic presidential contenders.

Mike Bloomberg, the billionaire Democratic presidential candidate, said employees at his news organization "just have to learn to live with some things" when asked about their frustrations over the outlet's 2020 election policy forbidding the investigation of Democratic presidential contenders.

"They get a paycheck," Bloomberg said during an interview that aired Friday with "CBS This Morning" co-host Gayle King. "But with your paycheck comes some restrictions and responsibilities."

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018

www.resetera.com

Bloomberg News killed story, fired reporter, went after his wife. EiC said it was justified because CCP are like "Nazis" who should be appeased.

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/14/828565428/bloomberg-news-killed-investigation-fired-reporter-then-sought-to-silence-his-wi

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
www.resetera.com

Bloomberg News killed story, fired reporter, went after his wife. EiC said it was justified because CCP are like "Nazis" who should be appeased.

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/14/828565428/bloomberg-news-killed-investigation-fired-reporter-then-sought-to-silence-his-wi
good thing he doesn't write about China I guess? As long as he never writes anything that conflicts with his employer's significant failings he'll never have a problem

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine thinking nearly any large company one could work for isn't run by a scum bag. That's just rich people. You think he was working for saints at Kotaku? Lol

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine thinking nearly any large company one could work for isn't run by a scum bag. That's just rich people. You think he was working for saints at Kotaku? Lol

Yeah, you've got to be critical of nearly everyone working in gaming media if you're going to criticize Bloomberg's news shop. There's either issues with ownership being scum and/or they're so reliant on publisher relationships that they can't operate without compromising and playing along with them.

I'd guess Jason will probably have less constraints at Bloomberg because publicly traded companies can't exactly blackball Bloomberg given how big they are in Financial News. Seems like a more stable place for a journalist to work from the outside as well.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
www.cnn.com

Mike Bloomberg to Bloomberg News reporters upset over not being able to probe Democrats: 'With your paycheck comes some restrictions'

"They get a paycheck," Bloomberg said during an interview that aired Friday with "CBS This Morning" co-host Gayle King. "But with your paycheck comes some restrictions and responsibilities."

At that point he was a candidate and the point was to avoid an obvious conflict of interest. So I have no idea what you think this is supposed to demonstrate.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Was only a question of time. Not to dig on Kotaku, or the gaming press in general, but it was pretty clear Jason Schreier operated on another level entirely, and it's good to see him work for a household name in the news media. Surprised he didn't end up working for the New York Times, actually, since they published some of his articles.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
They picked up Takashi Mochizuki in the last year from WSJ so they're going harder into journalism that covers how games companies work. I suspect we'll see more formal coverage in the vein of what Polygon was originally meant to be (and ultimately backed away from). Difference is on whether the Bloomberg audience will ultimately care or not.
Thanks for that.

So going forward this move helps Jason be even more investigative where it count and is an asset to Bloomberg overall (pull in new subscribers).

Interested to see what his first article will be.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
If he wants to work in media and not for a billionaire then he's starting up a Patreon like everyone else (and there may be billionaires involved there, I don't know).
Why would an investigative journalist, whose position in companies allowed him to travel to different companies and places to report and investigate, leave that company to lose all that access and start from the ground up? Investigations take a lot of time and resources. He can do more than he could at Kotaku. If he can get editorial freedom and a Chinese wall, then he should be able to do even more expansive investigations, like suppose the Uyghurs being used in concentration camps and forced to make next gen consoles. Or all kinds of other possible stories.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Banned for a personal attack on a member?
So all you have to do to not be criticized as a journalist is to join the site?
I'm pretty sure this was an old NeoGAF rule.

Like, members weren't allowed to take personal cheap shots at each other. They were expected to remain somewhat civil with each other. But you were allowed to be a dick towards random strangers. Like... let's say Bill Gates. He's a book-reading, sweater-wearing nerd who didn't even create Microsoft, he got filthy rich by stealing things from better nerds. Fuck Bill Gates. (That's just an example, I don't hate Bill Gates.)

But then there were people like David Jaffe or Denis Dyack on the forums, and you weren't allowed to be a dick to them, even though they stood out every time they posted. You were expected to be civil with them, like you would be with any other member.

But then, Jaffe or Dyack would show up in a news story, and some members would go full blast on them in that thread, as they might with any other celebrity, but it wasn't because they were a celebrity, it was because they were passive-aggressively trying to start shit with another member, in a way that would normally be against the member-to-member civility rules, but had a certain deniability (since you weren't talking to the celebrity, you were talking about the celebrity, in a newsworthy topic which you didn't start).

So a double standard was created, and VIPs were afforded some additional mod-protection. Yes, it's a double standard, but it exists for a reason (because there's always someone looking to take down the celebrity, and the celebrities stop coming over when they get too much of that).

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
User Banned (5 days): hostility
Good the less chance I get at seeing what this shill writes the better for me.
Kotaku will most likely improve with him going.