• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Of all the publishers this generation. No one has disappointed me as much as Ubisoft.

Anything I wanted from 2016 onward from them is a PS5 game. I have been watching E3s 2017, 2018, etc looking forward to titles that are coming in 2021 or after. Including Skull and Bones, Gods and Monsters, BGE2 (which is now MMO Lite from what folks say and not a single player (with coop) action game. ) ,, any hope of splinter cell and others.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I thought that was the point of BG&E 2?

I guess it sounds good on paper, but pardon me if I stay skeptical about Ubisoft's ability to not mess things up still.

Rayman is not gonna happen while Ancel is busy with BG&E2.

I'll believe BG&E2 is a thing when it actually releases, and not a moment sooner. I feel like that game has been languishing in preproduction for over a decade now.

Oct 30, 2017
prince-of-persia-wide.png

:"-( ......... ?!

golem

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds like normal PR to me. Big publisher releases a string of obvious cash ins that bomb, promises to do better. Does better for a single release cycle and then back to business as normal.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
After Starlink and some of their other games I'm very curious about how they take this approach, as aside from the toys thing no one really talks about that game and it bums me out and was one of their more cool/unique games they've put out, even if it followed some of the same formulas as a typical open world Ubi game.

It's a bold move, Ubi, Let's see if it pays off.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Honestly, Ubisoft has shown they can learn from their mistakes pretty well a couple of times already, so yeah, this is a good thing.

Despite all the dismissive remarks aimed at Ubi on this forum, they're still capable of making genuinely fun games with new ideas, and I like their output in general much more than what EA, ActiBlizzard and Bethesda shit out lately.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
This can only be a good thing for the future of their games. Things were getting kinda stale/too formulaic with the recent releases.

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I've become so jaded when it comes to Ubisoft, that quote just makes me think that their future games will be more of the FC/AC formula but with a mandatory gimmick...

Calling it now, the next AC will have time control powers, like you can pause or rewind the Animus.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Now they're delaying the return of Splinter Cell even more because now they have to rework the game away from the Ghost Recon/Looter shooter clone with skill trees they were originally making it be :P

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad that their three underperforming games actually spurred them to SAY that they will do things differently. Many of their games are starting to feel more and more cookie cutter.

Feb 21, 2019
Breakpoint may have literally been the breaking point for the Ubisoft model this generation. It was successful, no doubt about that. They put out some solid content all generation, but it was clear that their games were getting just too "samey." While this was fine for awhile so long as the quality was there, but with Breakpoint, it was the game that laid a turn in the punch bowl. It wasn't up to the typical "solid" Ubisoft standards and also seemed to just implement systems for the hell of it.

Ubisoft really turned it around this gen and I do think their studios have some good talent. Im curious to see where they go from here. They obvioulsy wont take crazy risks, but they do need to start pushing their formula harder than they have been.

That goes for alot of a developers at this point in the generation. Time to start thinking about the future.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I can believe it. Honestly, Ubi was on their way to greatness again. WD wasn't all that whereas WD2 was a huge improvement. Then AC started to become stale, and then ACO and ACO came out. I don't have a hard time believing they are willing to listen.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I fucking knew it. Breakpoint was rushed out because legion was given the delay out of the quarter. It screamed wildlands expansion pack in every sense, but they tried to position it as a new take with the half assed survival stuff

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Thank GOD. Assassin's Creed has been such a deep poison to game design. The whole "Ubisoft the Game: [Insert Location Here] Edition" method of design needs to end.
Whats a good game design, eh? And no , it does not need to end , AC just had a soft reboot with AC origins , i dont know if you are aware , but majority of Ubisoft output is solid. AC series especially

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I kinda feel like ( and this is after playing Unity on my xbox one x), that Ubisoft bit more off than they could chew. They tried to have these immersive games, with lots of interesting things happening in them, innovations like the crowd system, or Watch Dogs with the whole connected city thing. But I think they got their shit handed to them by the weak ass hardware both consoles came out with. Hopefully NextGen they recover.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
They have to optimize profit along their strategy; and current road is not optimized ... so of course they switch course... specially if investors have pinned the board on inadequate public reception for some of their service targeted games and MTX low efforts not engaging people when the plan that was presented to them was to release quality games, events, and purchasable content in order to keep the player involved with the products over a long time. Make great games to have them hooked on the in games shops; that's what was promised... breakpoint ... yeah... nope... at 58 metascore it won't do.
It's not for us; it's for the company profits and the investors... but we'll possibly benefit at least temporarily.

smash_robot

Oct 27, 2017
Ubi have been getting better and better this gen. When they stepped back and re-evaluated what they were doing with AC we got the excellent origins and odyssey games.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The market can only take so many GAAS games that launch feeling incomplete and busted only to get fixed over a year of patches and paid DLC.

And Ubisoft has had like 3 of them going over the last 2 years.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
This is cool news I guess, but just stop delaying Skull & Bones & give me my pirate game. At this rate I'm just gonna have to rebuy Sid Meier's Pirates to get my fix

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Eh sound like they're overreacting, as always. They don't need to be super unique, they just need to be deeper and better.

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019
I guess people gave up or don't care about a new Prince of Persia entry. Has AC completely supplanted it?

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Good to hear. Ubisoft's big games have pretty much all been to a fairly high standard this generation, but basically none of them felt special because even across different franchises, there was some sort of familiarity to them.
Is Child of Light 2 unique enough for Ubisoft?
Here's a crazy pitch: Child of Light 2 you MONSTERS
Child of Light sequel with better writing!? Maybe!?
It made me laugh that these all came one after another.
(also I agree)

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
Thank God. All their games felt the same, surprised it took them this long to realize that was a bad idea.
I'd say they always knew. It was just easy for them to continue on this path, making similar, formulaic games. Seems like finally it hit them where it hurts, in their wallets.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what this means for their existing franchises. Like how could they significantly change The Division?

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I am down for some more unique games Ubi! I love some variety! Sounds like a cool pitch. Although, I doubt we will see much from it within the next few years since it takes while for games to get made, even if Ubisoft is ginormous.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean they've already have been making great games (for the most part) so if they're gonna just make them even better than I'm all for that.