• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
EA's gonna take it out back and

QAyHUsEc7kg7J6Q0aHO4W1q0DzsDSGVT7Ht3WWuz1xNofmGUVcDyU-X-ihkPBoI-Lp2R0_pVSpKvs0laHYPCG7-YY3y5zFSm_c7RkqZDvSvpvarw3fECkUap7_0LHrId_wBz6Kk7Q-A9meki

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
No way they triple the team. Its dead and should be a reminder that Bioware is not a live service studio. They are a one or two game per gen prestige style studio.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Darn, was really hoping for a comeback story with this game. Have they made any substantial changes since release? I was under the impression that a sizeable team was working on it all this time.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I just like to imagine that someone higher up at EA didn't know about this meeting and they saw this report and went "Wait, we are doing what now?"

I know there is no way that actually happens, but I just like to imagine that reaction when Jason Schreier knows more about your companies plans than you lol

On-topic: Just kill it already and move those people to DA4 or ME5.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, literally everyone moved on. Just kill it.

It's good Bioware will eat though, thanks to re-release of their great old games.

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
I really hope this pulls through for a nice cross-gen reboot. The IDEA and aesthetic of Anthem is sound. Flying around was pretty fun! If they restructure that skeleton / fill in the parts that weren't really there to begin with, could be fun.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I'd actually like to get a reboot so hopefully it works out for them. Gotta be a really tough position to be in.

If this game was made as a single player/coop not always online world closer to a mix of mass effect and Borderlands it would've been infinitely more appealing.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope it works out for the devs.

Even then though, if it doesn't work out then I probably won't be too sad by it. Just focus on Dragon Age and Mass Effect for the foreseeable future BioWare.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
What a waste of time for that team.

If EA really wanted to save the game, it needed a 100% overhaul in time for PS5/XSX launch with upgrades. This game will never find an audience in 2021

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
So it's dead, then.

I haven't seen ANYTHING substantial out of the Anthem next blog posts so far, it's been largely concept work, and barely so at that.

I'm sure they're farther along internally, but....if the decision comes tomorrow/this week?

I can't imagine EA thinks they'll recoup investment costs unless they make Anthem Next free for existing owners (and that's a lot of additional time/money down the drain) and somehow....manage to sell skins and such.

But even if they don't, while Bioware's name has taken a bit of a beating, ME remake looks good enough to give them enough breathing room to make it to DA4 and/or ME sequel.

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
After being strung along for two years, I will finally hear what I've known since May 2019 - the game is dead.

Oct 30, 2017
Must be a bit frustrating working on the game for many months knowing that there is a 80% chance that EA will kill it and all the work was done for nothing.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Everyone always says "A Realm Reborn!" like that wasn't one of the most impressive and unprecedented re-constructions of a game to ever happen. And that only happened because it was Final Fantasy, not just some random new IP.

Zelus

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what the long term consequences will be if they decide to cancel it. I remember articles speaking of how Anthem was Bioware's last chance to secure its existence under the EA banner. Hopefully, that was hyperbole.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I'm going to go with the popular consensus and put my metaphorical chips on EA pulling the plug.

¡Hip Hop!

Nov 9, 2017
Seems like they leaked this story to put pressure on EA in their favor. Don't blame them. Who wants all that time to go to waste? And there could be jobs on the line.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Kinda obvious EA will can this. The decision to make ME remaster back then were most likely to compensate Anthem imminent cancellation and at the same time gauging interest on the ME franchise.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
It can't be worth it going up against titles like Destiny 2, The Division 2 and even Marvel's Avengers, that will benefit from already working systems and support on the new consoles.

It could do everything right and it will have just missed its moment.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
They should out of its misery and focus efforts on Dragon Age and Mass Effect. But most importantly, have manageable expectations from both projects and be satisfied with those expectations. These games should have burden to sell 30 million copies to be considered successful.

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
So if EA pulls the plug, we should find out relatively quickly, I would think? But if they decide to go ahead and start staffing up, maybe it's more likely to take a while? In the latter event, they'd probably wait until they were ready to reveal/hype something before saying anything. If they're pulling the plug, they'll want to rip the band aid off and just say it's dead?

Or maybe someone will just whisper whatever the meeting outcome is to Jason Schrier, lol.

Derkon

Oct 25, 2017
End it. I really don't think they can pull off a FF14 style reboot(which is basically what this needs).

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Would be lying if I said I wasn't crossing my fingers that they get the greenlight to proceed. Still love the concept of this game and would 100% be down for it's rebirth.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Wait, I thought the narrative was that EA believed so much in this game, that they got the ok for the overall. Now it turns out they were just working on a proposal? lol

Personally I don't think Anthem had anything going for it besides the flying and that's not good enough to carry a game.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IMO Anthem should have always leaned way more heavily into constant power usage, setting up and detonating combos, over reliance on guns/shooting.
That's one of the best things about ME3's MP, the constant power usage and setting up all kinds of combos and explosions with your teammates. It never got old and was always fun to pull off.

*sigh* I miss ME3 MP.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
If EA kill it - that's essentially a vote of no confidence in Bioware IMO
I don't think BioWare has anything to do with it anymore.

All the work is being done in Austin. I think it's likely EA kills it, but I don't know what else that team is even supposed to be doing right now.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Has an original IP ever managed to bounce back the way Anthem would have to? Outside of No Man's Sky?

Star Wars Battlefront 2 and Final Fantasy have managed it, but they had IP backing.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
I will say it has some blistering HDR and it sure looked nice at times. I'd love to see it on next-gen hardware.

Oct 29, 2017
Flying and combat in this game with a coordinated group is top tier. I hope they are able to relaunch it with proper amount of content and squashed technical issues, but I'd be surprised if they were able to pull it off.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It feels like too much time has passed, so I don't see the point now. Use those folks to help ensure the next Dragon Age/Mass Effect isn't a mess.

Oct 29, 2017
I wonder what the long term consequences will be if they decide to cancel it. I remember articles speaking of how Anthem was Bioware's last chance to secure its existence under the EA banner. Hopefully, that was hyperbole.

Nah. BioWare just got big new offices a year or so ago. Dragon Age and Mass Effect are on the way. They're not going anywhere.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
It's always weird to go into threads like this and see people borderline celebrating something like this. I don't get it, maybe it's just me, but I think it's fun when games are good and underdog stories like FFXIV happen.

Not to say Anthem is going to be FFXIV. But it would be cool if they found a way to make a good game around Anthem's core mechanics (which I still think are pretty fantastic). I hope what's been done on it is substantial enough for EA to keep the project going forward, if for no other reason than to deliver on a promise they made to players who bought the game full price two years ago.