• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
300px-So_you_have_chosen..._death..jpg

Lube Man

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
Bought it for $10 last year when it went in sale, in hopes of them supporting the game.

Meh, if they don't support it, it'll suck.

Strittles

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hope it continues. Game had a lot of cool ideas and I would like for Bioware to have another chance.

Oct 29, 2017
Chalk this one up as a misfire and move forward with Dragon Age, Mass Effect, and maybe even a new RPG/shooter IP that plays more to BioWare's strengths.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That seems like a normal process to me. Doesn't mean anything as of now.

This really feels like when Jason said that Mass Effect was "on ice" after Andromeda's mild reception when BioWare was putting all of their resources on Dragon Age and Anthem. But just one year later, they were already in the pre-production stages for the new game.

Of course, "Anthem Next" can be canceled next week. But I'd wait and see.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
After so long you'd have thought Next would be almost finished and ready to go, but nope they're literally only at the point where they feel ready to decide to really start it or not. So even if they gave the green light we'd still be what, a year off before release at least? How long is too long before people just don't care anymore, even if the Next update is amazing?

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Damn shame. Anthem really isn't a bad game honestly for the most part, was just missing any real content and a story, and just wasn't a game people wanted from Bioware.

It could have actually been something special if it wasn't an EA project during peak EA hate boner times and wasn't developed by the studio known for singleplayer story driven RPGs, instead those two things pretty much killed it in the eyes of the people and it was practically destined to fail

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
...I don't see how it's worth it at this point. This big response has only been in incubation since the disastrous launch? Just cut bait, there isn't some big community that's hurting due to the state of the game.

funo

Oct 27, 2017
to be completely honest, I would LOVE for this to be good.

the flying was awesome
the gunsounds and the overall audio stuff were awesome
the world was beautiful (and empty)

it's just that the game was full of yank and not fun to play.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I think this is interesting if only because rarely does this kind of product review get teased to audiences before they happen. I feel for the developers working on the team at the moment who will have to deal with this added scrutiny now that the stakes of their review have been made public just a week before it was set to happen. I wonder if we'll get stories about crunch this week from this.

Very interesting.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Apex, Battlefront 2, Sims 4 ... they know how to do them very sucessful.

And while they may be successful, that's not exactly my point. If they axe Anthem, it just shows how much they're willing to stand behind their product if it doesn't print money from the get go. To me, that's a much more valuable insight into a company and their business practices, rather than focusing on their successful ventures.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
So what you mean to say is Anthem dies next week

The negativity towards game on Era is alive and well, even after all this time. I don't think there is a game as hated as Anthem here. It is despised even more than Cyberpunk on base consoles, more than Fallout 76 at launch, more than anything.

I doubt they will continue working on it, but I would like to see it succeed. The combat is nice, the visuals are great - so why not?

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone besides FFXIV been able to pull this sort of thing off? They only did it because they put MASSIVE financial support behind overhauling it too, yeah?

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Context of what "expanding the team" would mean

The Anthem Next team includes about 30 people, BioWare said last year. People familiar with the project said it will need to expand to at least triple that in order to produce new content and continue attempting to overhaul the game. EA has not yet indicated whether it's willing to commit that kind of budget to revive a maligned game.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
"Can you turn it around into multi million GAAS money machine in...a month?"
"No, but we ca-"
giphy.gif

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I would say it was nice knowing it...but I'd be lying.

This thing should have been killed off officially about a year ago

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Anthem: A Realm Reborn!

I wish. ARR was a 3 year ordeal with hundreds of people and extensive outsourcing inorder to rebuild an entire game down to it's engine and all of the content. This anthem rework was nothing more than a tiny team of engineers, programers and artists trying to see if there is enough meat to rework what they had and make something playable that they could continue selling skins for. The bones of anthem are decent unlike the fundamentally bad game 14 1.0 was so that approach at least makes sense, but the half assed way they have treated this game since launch pales in comparison to the all in Square did with ARR. It's a comparison people throw around to liberally imo

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Bought it at launch. I liked a lot of the gameplay but it needed a lot of tlc at the time. I do want to jump back in at some point to check things out.

Real

Oct 28, 2017
Man, I know I'm in a VERY small minority but I actually enjoyed Anthem. For better or worse, there's not really an experience like it, to me. Really hoping EA finds it business-worthy enough to continue development of fixes, cause the game is a diamond in the rough.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Turn it into a single player game done by another EA studio and put all of the Bioware people on Dragon Age 4 and Mass Effect 5.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There is no way they'll continue this, but I'd love to be wrong. There were a lot of issues with Anthem and the criticisms against it are all fair, but I enjoyed my time with it. If they could somehow salvage it I'd definitely give it another shot.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
It's really been 1.5 years since this launched? And we still haven't seen anything from the revamp? This thing is dead.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
I wish. ARR was a 3 year ordeal with hundreds of people and extensive outsourcing inorder to rebuild an entire game down to it's engine and all of the content. This anthem rework was nothing more than a tiny team of engineers, programers and artists trying to see if there is enough meat to rework what they had and make something playable that they could continue selling skins for. The bones of anthem are decent unlike the fundamentally bad game 14 1.0 was so that approach at least makes sense, but the half assed way they have treated this game since launch pales in comparison to the all in Square did with ARR. It's a comparison people throw around to liberally imo

Very true. Very few companies would do what SE did.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair to EA (not that they deserve it), if they really were as determined to end this thing as some think, they wouldn't have let 30 developers work on the corpse of it for so long.

They clearly think they might be able to turn it around.

Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame what happened with this game. The combat system was satisfying as hell, and I actually enjoyed the campaign (outside of the generic villain). The lack of customization with your suits and lack of endgame content was such a blunder.
Yep, flying felt great too and the game is a looker

Shame EA is going to pull the plug but it was bungled from the start

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Rip

Would actually be interested in a reboot. As far as GAAS goes, its the most pleasing to me from visuals to gameplay.

Agreed on both accounts. Had more fun with it than other looter shooters other than Borderlands as I liked the looks, traversal and combat more than things like Destiny. The story just needed a lot of work and the end game loop was terrible.

I'd love to see it brought up to at least Destiny or the Division level of post story content, but I'm not optimistic that EA will see enough profit potential to expand the team to do that.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That seems like a normal process to me. Doesn't mean anything as of now.

This really feels like when Jason said that Mass Effect was "on ice" after Andromeda's mild reception when BioWare was putting all of their resources on Dragon Age and Anthem. But just one year later, they were already in the pre-production stages for the new game.

Of course, "Anthem Next" can be canceled next week. But I'd wait and see.
I think you're misremembering. What I said is exactly what happened. https://kotaku.com/sources-bioware-montreal-downsized-mass-effect-put-on-1795100285

In the wake of BioWare's polarizing Mass Effect: Andromeda, fans have wondered where the lauded sci-fi series will go next. The answer, according to people familiar with the studio, is nowhere—at least for the time being. BioWare has put Mass Effect on hiatus and turned Andromeda's developer, BioWare Montreal, into a support studio, according to four sources close to the company.

That doesn't mean there will never be another Mass Effect game, of course. It's unlikely that BioWare will kill the popular sci-fi franchise. But BioWare is letting Mass Effect sit for a while rather than putting staff on Andromeda's follow-up right away, those sources said.

Last month, a number of BioWare Montreal employees were transferred to the studio EA Motive, also based in Montreal, to work on Star Wars Battlefront II. Those remaining at BioWare Montreal will help support BioWare's other games including the new intellectual property, code-named Dylan, which we expect the company to announce at E3. BioWare Montreal will also continue to patch and support Andromeda's multiplayer.

It would be another 2.5-3 years before the next Mass Effect entered preproduction.