• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Rip

Would actually be interested in a reboot. As far as GAAS goes, its the most pleasing to me from visuals to gameplay.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
WELL

this is it.....we finally find out whether or not to just completely give up hope. I loved Anthem for what it was.....but damn, it was so lacking.

Oct 26, 2017
It's a shame what happened with this game. The combat system was satisfying as hell, and I actually enjoyed the campaign (outside of the generic villain). The lack of customization with your suits and lack of endgame content was such a blunder.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
If they put it to rest then I hope nobody will trust EA with their live service games going forward.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Just say it's dead.

Cause it's dead. It's been dead. It will always be dead.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois

Electronic Arts Inc. will hold a meeting this week to determine whether it will continue trying to create a new version of the failed online game Anthem, according to three people familiar with the matter.

Anthem, a multiplayer game by the EA-owned developer BioWare, launched in February 2019 to poor reviews. In the following months, BioWare put together a small team to overhaul the game. Executive Producer Christian Dailey wrote three blog posts last year outlining some of the big changes planned. But in December, Dailey left the Anthem team as part of a BioWare management shakeup, leaving the project's fate in question.

This week, EA executives will review the latest version of Anthem Next and decide whether to expand the team or abandon the project, said the people, who asked not to be named discussing private information. The Anthem Next team includes about 30 people, BioWare said last year. People familiar with the project said it will need to expand to at least triple that in order to produce new content and continue attempting to overhaul the game. EA has not yet indicated whether it's willing to commit that kind of budget to revive a maligned game.

A spokesman for EA said the company doesn't comment on "rumor and speculation."

Anthem Next includes major changes to the game's core systems and user interface, the people said. It's not clear if or when these changes will be implemented in the version that's currently available to players.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
As someone who bought Anthem Day 1, I would not feel betrayed if they put it to rest. I don't have a ton of excitement for BW to continue devoting resources to a GaaS game.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
good_luck_morgan_freeman.gif

Seriously, if they can pull it off, more power to them.

And if not... there are Dragon Age 4 and Mass Effect 4 projects that could seriously use the manpower to be all that they could be.

Mass Effect Andromeda was a much better game, and EA pulled the plug on it...

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I'm honestly not sure a publisher reviewing one of it's projects which has been prototyping with a small team to see how it's coming a long and if it's worth continuing is that unusual in the game industry at all?

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
What do the numbers look like for active players? No one I know personally is remotely interested at this point...

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
How does it make sense that they're revealing their plans for the future and deciding if they're canceling it at the same time? Cancellation decisions come far in advance. If they're going to cancel it, they won't keep investing in it.

edit: misread review as reveal. Makes sense.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't see them doing anything to get people coming back, they'd probably do better to focus on Dragon Age and Mass Effect.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
They're over a year late in trying to turn this game around, and though I think it can still be done (especially with Next-Gen and the move towards cross-play) I doubt it's financially viable. Anthem is dead, and there's no interest in the IP. At this point the only thing worth doing is putting minimum effort to salvage Bioware's image so that their next title isn't held back by it

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
From the moment it was unveiled it looked like the sort of game that was developed in a corporate factory rather than through flashes of great creative minds.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
so the guys who decided to scrap the original vision and told the dev team what to do eventually being responsible for the disaster it was now is deciding again.

sounds like its will be all going well.

For every other publisher I would have hope but with EA its like they are the most out of touch company out there.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, as a chump that bought the game at full price. End it.

They will never be able to turn Anthem into what I was promised, at best they could turn it into a competent looter shooter. But, I bought Anthem because it was supposed to blend story into the looter-shooter concept that every studio has wanted to have since Destiny.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They're gonna take it out back. Buying it is still one of my dumbest decisions this gen.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I am down to see a reboot of the project akin to a realm reborn. I wish Bioware the best of luck that they can turn it into something great. I know the original game isn't great at all, so I hope they can make it something they truly want to release versus what we got a few years ago.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Hope it gets the go ahead. It's not like next gen software is about to start dropping in spades anytime soon.