• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious how they're going to play off Eivor in ACV. Given the character's name, it seems clear they intended a female lead. I wonder if Jason can likewise find someone that will confirm the male character was shoehorned into this one too (and, like ACO, put into the center of all the marketing).

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Alexios felt like a contractual obligation so it's no surprise that in the end that's all he ever was.

Jun 1, 2018
He is, but most people think that "sacrificing" the management that (most likely) reports to him directly is enough.

I'll repeat myself from other thread, I don't believe for a second he wasn't privy to the horrid shit going on at that company.
I absolutely agree. Nobody can tell me that he didn't know what was going on inside his company especially with such an enormous amount of complaints and incidents. Yves needs to step down.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I'm saying there are reasons why one thread has more activity than the other than crudely gesturing some conspiracy by the era hive mind to avoid topics of sexual harassment. All whilst ignoring that those reports about the harassment directly informs the narrow subject matter of this thread. Rather than whining why this or that thread doesn't have many posts, you could actually just...ignore it and discuss the substance of the topic and wait for people to reply? It's an Internet forum, nobody is obligated to post in threads you deem more important than others.

There were several ways that you could have made your point without diminishing discussion of the sex abuse in a story that was PRIMARILY about the sex abuse. You could have said that the other discussion is obviously more important but that this was a discussion on another aspect of Jason's story.

Instead you mocked the other discussion by making a blanket statement that this one has more meat to it and that "wow this is horrible Ubisoft is terrible!" is all anyone can say when having the other discussion. Well this is just false on it's face because both discussions could be as meaty or as vapid as you choose to make them. There is nothing inherently more affecting about this portion of Jason't story than the main one. So ya maybe go about it another way next time in your valiant defense of thread discussion. Maybe even pop into the other one and say "wow this is horrible Ubisoft is terrible!" I mean that is all there really is to say right?

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
I enjoyed playing as Kassy. She gave that strong feminine role and not that annoying force girly personality i despise a lot in anime.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There were several ways that you could have made your point without diminishing discussion of the sex abuse in a story that was PRIMARILY about the sex abuse. You could have said that the other discussion is obviously more important but that this was a discussion on another aspect of Jason's story.

Instead you mocked the other discussion by making a blanket statement that this one has more meat to it and that "wow this is horrible Ubisoft is terrible!" is all anyone can say when having the other discussion. Well this is just false on it's face because both discussions could be as meaty or as vapid as you choose to make them. There is nothing inherently more affecting about this portion of Jason't story than the main one. So ya maybe go about it another way next time in your valiant defense of thread discussion. Maybe even pop into the other one and say "wow this is horrible Ubisoft is terrible!" I mean that is all there really is to say right?

If you checked I already posted in the other thread to disparage the folks turning a thread about sexual harassment into a thread about China.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Haven't they, or at least any of the other interchangeable boardroom males running the big 3 gaming companies been caught as saying the same thing before? Or at least something similar.

DJtal

Oct 30, 2017
Capetown / South Africa
Whenever I have a choice between a male or a woman character, I choose a woman. That's how you can notice if it's just a reskin of the male character or if they really spend sometime developing the female character.

I was surprised during the free week-end to play the latest entry of Ghost Recon, is it Breakpoint? first choice of character was a black woman. Fine by me, let's go!

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Wow some of the things described in that article are horrifying. How on earth was stuff just allowed to continue like this? Unbelievable

When you have a thread critical of Ubisoft and certain prolific posters are not participating you know it's something truly indefensible

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Tell that to Tomb Raider, The Last of Us Part 2, Horizon, Final Fantasy XIII (the first ever FF trilogy), Control, etc etc.

Is this the early 90s?

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad they let us choose between two protagonists in that game because it starts a trend where we'll always have a female option in the series going forward.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Utterly shocking that a company apparently chocked to the gills with sexual predators would also be promoting and perpetuating other misogynist bollocks dressed up as smart marketing plans.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Wow some of the things described in that article are horrifying. How on earth was stuff just allowed to continue like this? Unbelievable

When you have a thread critical of Ubisoft and certain prolific posters are not participating you know it's something truly indefensible

Heh, I think I have a good guess on this. Ever the defenders of Ubisoft's games and never (at least I have not) to be seen in a thread comprising of criticism of that sexual predation and bigotry enabling company.

CelticKennedy

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2019
Reading the story now...but man...did they go out of their way to find the closest "Mad Men" they could. LOL. Look at how young Yves looks!

Jun 1, 2018
One former Ubisoft employee says they wrote an email to the CEO some years ago about problems with François. Not long after, François was promoted.

Yves knew about it, he met with them often on his family yacht yet he choose to do nothing for over a decade.I'm absolutely disappointed and angry in how they didn't do anything all those years

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what Yves Guillemot has to say why he did this behaviour let slip for so long. There's no way he can't have known about this.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
After everything that has come out, I wouldn't say no to the Rayman & Mario + Rabbids spirits as well as the Assassin's Creed & Rabbids Mii Costumes being removed from Smash Ultimate.

Deleted member 50232

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
It's a real shame but sadly Ubisoft probably are right about games with female only leads not selling. Or certainly not selling as well as if a male was the lead

This is nothing new in the industry. Why do you think cyberpunk has the male v
on the cover?

I remember lionhead had the same problem with fable 2. They wanted a black female on the cover but Microsoft said it would never sell, so that's why you had that generic white male protagonist on the box.

I don't agree with it and to be clear, I played as Kassandra in Odyssey and adored Aloy in Horizon. I'll also be playing as the female v in cyberpunk.

All of you have mentioned TLOU2 and Horizon. True they sold huge amounts but the sad thing is they would have probably sold more if they had a male protagonist.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
maybe because there are actually things to discuss other than "wow this is horrible Ubisoft is terrible!"

I think there's the same things to discuss here and the other thread, because it comes from the same place and are both linked, which is mysogyny in the dev industry. These dev decisions are made because they are done in an environment of mysogyny and sexism, not because any other reasons (in 2020 no one will believe that games with female MC sell less, we all know it's just another excuse), so I don't think one thread foster more discussion than the other unless you think "of course, I liked Kassandra better" be a part of it.

Anyways, I wasn't thread-winning about the existence of the thread in itself, but yeah I'm surprised about the amount of talk of a small part of a big article, that's pretty much it. I see now too some people talking about matters of Ubi leads sexist behaviors in here too, so I guess this thread just catched more attention for all talking from those accussations from the article.

It's a real shame but sadly Ubisoft probably are right about games with female only leads not selling. Or certainly not selling as well as if a male was the lead

I don't think there's anything you can point to know there's a true link anymore between sales and the gender of MC, just old habits and yeah, sexism.

Horizon Zero Dawn is at +10M copies sold, Tomb Raider2013 and Rise also sold more like any other old TR, for putting an example.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

This is nothing new in the industry. Why do you think cyberpunk has the male v
on the cover?

I remember lionhead had the same problem with fable 2. They wanted a black female on the cover but Microsoft said it would never sell, so that's why you had that generic white male protagonist on the box.

I don't agree with it and to be clear, I played as Kassandra in Odyssey and adored Aloy in Horizon. I'll also be playing as the female v in cyberpunk.

All of you have mentioned TLOU2 and Horizon. True they sold huge amounts but the sad thing is they would have probably sold more if they had a male protagonist.

I need receipts for this.

This post reads like the privileged bemoaning the situation from afar summed up in " 🤷🏼‍♂️ ".

These are about changes that break a self fulfilling prophecy steeped in sexism.

Jun 5, 2018
For years I wanted a female lead in ac, I found the fact that we always played as the same kind of generic character really boring as much as the gameplay loop and stopped buying them as a result, this way of thinking is backwards as hell, you want things to stand out so including a female lead would help that along anyway.
Should I ever buy any assassins creeds going forward I'll likely always choose who I feel fits the character better so Cassandra for example.

if someone came to me and said I couldn't because of sales I'd quit as soon as reasonably possible and find somewhere better to work.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean it's a bad reason but I still prefer having a choice, if not a full character creator for RPG's (Valhalla will have one right?)

Deleted member 50232

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I need receipts for this.

This post reads like the privileged bemoaning the situation from afar summed up in " 🤷🏼‍♂️ ".

These are about changes that break a self fulfilling prophecy steeped in sexism.

I think the situation sucks. More female only leads are brilliant and more developers and publishers should be doing it.

Hell, I want more gay and transgender only characters.

My point is that not everyone thinks like that.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The argument that "games with women as protagonists don't sell" was a self fulfilling prophecy formed by the "video games are for boys" mentality that led to various games with women as protagonists, outside of the horror genre in particular, not getting as many resources and/or marketing as game starring men. There are various examples of games starring women that had huge marketing campaigns and just as many dev resources as a title like uncharted, which ended up selling well. Tomb Raider, Horizon, TLOU2, etc. That same "video games are for boys" mentality isn't even the whole picture, because for decades the medium was treated as "video games are for white males first and foremost." This is arguably the first generation of video games where that has been addressed and just looking at the various press conferences for next gen consoles you can see there's generally way more games being revealed with POC and women as the leads in a large range of genres. So when an exec says, "oh that wouldn't sell." They're out of touch.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Ubi games often look like they were made [or controlled] by a comittee, so it's not suprising that devs were forced to agressivley mold their games and quickly ship sequels that don't make much waves.

lusca_bueno

Nov 23, 2017
That photo is so bizarre, it reminds you of some dumb ass templars that profit from an exploiting organization. I wonder why.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Also, now it makes so much sense why Aya was such a limited character despite really being the founder of the Hidden Ones and the character that turns out actually has a link to Kassandra, she was meant to have a much bigger part. Bayek was an interesting character and there's not many poc leads but we could have had a woc protag only Ubisoft pushed against it.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
I always wondered why Aya was so sidelined in Origins and now I know.

EdchyqNWsAA9QWY

This is the kind of direspectful and demeaning and dehumanizing behavior I experienced back in the 90's while working in IT. Here we are in 2020. It makes me so sad.

Deleted member 50232

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
The argument that "games with women as protagonists don't sell" was a self fulfilling prophecy formed by the "video games are for boys" mentality that led to various games with women as protagonists, outside of the horror genre in particular, not getting as many resources and/or marketing as game starring men. There are various examples of games starring women that had huge marketing campaigns and just as many dev resources as a title like uncharted, which ended up selling well. Tomb Raider, Horizon, TLOU2, etc. That same "video games are for boys" mentality isn't even the whole picture, because for decades the medium was treated as "video games are for white males first and foremost." This is arguably the first generation of video games where that has been addressed and just looking at the various press conferences for next gen consoles you can see there's generally way more games being revealed with POC and women as the leads in a large range of genres.

of course those games have sold incredibly well. My point is that sadly they probably would have sold MORE if they had a male protagonist.

Again, why do you think cyberpunk has the most generic boring box art? A male with a gun. Because that sells. A female on the box cover will not sell as well. It sucks, I don't agree with it and I don't understand it but it's the truth.