• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Wow at that AC:O info, Alexios always seemed like a lazy and generic character completed to Kassandra, now it makes sense why

Hascoët's reputation had been well-known around the company for years, say 10 people who worked there over a period spanning more than a decade. On July 10 the French newspaper Libération reported that Hascoët had allegedly made sexually explicit comments to staff, pushed subordinates to drink excessively, and gave colleagues cakes containing marijuana without their knowledge.

Because Hascoët appeared to be immune to HR complaints, employees say they were forced to either find a way to work with him or seek employment elsewhere.

What the fuck

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
On one occasion before this summer, when Ubisoft sided with an alleged victim, the company removed the woman's boss and rewarded the woman with a gift card, she says.​
WHAT THE FUCK

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I feel this thread should be kept open, or the other thread should be renamed. The thread about AC:O's female character buries the lead on all the allegation stuff.

Ganransu

Nov 21, 2017
Meanwhile, at Ubisoft, they're frantically looking for any unreleased footage of AC Valhalla, Watchdog, etc they could throw together to "leak".

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019
He sometimes held business meetings at strip clubs, a habit that his deputies began to adopt, say the employees,
The women elected not to attend those outings and said their careers suffered as a result. They were frustrated to watch Hascoët promote many of his strip club buddies to creative directors, a group composed almost entirely of men.
and [Hascoët] gave colleagues cakes containing marijuana without their knowledge

I have no words

Scubdi

Jan 21, 2020
After reading this article it seems clear to me that the Guillemots need to go. No true change can happen with them in charge. Sure they allowed the abusers to leave now, but what if another member of the "family" starts pulling this shit? What then?

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ubisoft really is a shithole to work for. And no this story is far from over, because this was all possible under Yves watch.
He is more responsible for this this, than anyone else.
And Hascoët, that fucking asshole of a one-trick-pony can go up in flames, if you ask me

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
So I was right in calling him Maxime Bellend back when he took over Splinter Cell, he's even worse. What a horrible person.

The Toronto office was especially problematic, six current or former employees there say. The studio was run by Maxime Béland, his wife, Rima Brek, and another husband-and-wife management team. Brek served for a time as interim director of HR, the people there say. Two women who reported incidents to Brek and other HR representatives in Toronto say they felt ostracized afterward and were labeled as troublemakers. Brek didn't respond to requests for comment.​
Béland was a trusted lieutenant of the creative chief. He was also known for his quick temper and a tendency to scream at subordinates during meetings, say four people who worked in the office. Two of those people say they saw Béland touch women inappropriately at holiday parties and other work events. Béland was also accused of choking an employee at a party, according to the video game website Kotaku. The choking story was regularly shared among staff in Toronto, say the people who worked there, as a warning about the executive. Béland didn't respond to multiple requests for comment.​

splintercell-conviction-maxime_vdj9.620.jpg

Got Danny

Nov 8, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Whataboutism and Derailing; History of Similar Infractions
Haven't read it yet, but damn He jumped on this story extra fast, but nothing on the forced labor in china. Not to derail, I just find it strange

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Haven't read it yet, but damn He jumped on this story extra fast, but nothing on the forced labor in china. Not to derail, I just find it strange
I'm still waiting for investigative reporters to go undercover into the Foxconn and other factories employing Uighur slaves to manufacture the new Playstation 5, Xbox Series X, and other tech gadgets. It's harder work than just interviewing employees in the western world with the same language and not living under a digital dictatorship where reporters are followed and questioned.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
So I was right in calling him Maxime Bellend back when he took over Splinter Cell, he's even worse. What a horrible person.

The Toronto office was especially problematic, six current or former employees there say. The studio was run by Maxime Béland, his wife, Rima Brek, and another husband-and-wife management team. Brek served for a time as interim director of HR, the people there say. Two women who reported incidents to Brek and other HR representatives in Toronto say they felt ostracized afterward and were labeled as troublemakers. Brek didn't respond to requests for comment.​
Béland was a trusted lieutenant of the creative chief. He was also known for his quick temper and a tendency to scream at subordinates during meetings, say four people who worked in the office. Two of those people say they saw Béland touch women inappropriately at holiday parties and other work events. Béland was also accused of choking an employee at a party, according to the video game website Kotaku. The choking story was regularly shared among staff in Toronto, say the people who worked there, as a warning about the executive. Béland didn't respond to multiple requests for comment.​

splintercell-conviction-maxime_vdj9.620.jpg

I remember him and I remember reading his name as bellend for years and what do you know. He actually is a bloody big bellend.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
So that Ubisoft diversity disclaimer was literal performative progressiveness that meant nothing in the end with the games themselves.
1487071650840923721.jpg

The machismo of Ubisoft's offices seeps into the company's games, current and former employees say. Ubisoft's biggest franchise is Assassin's Creed, a series of open-world action-adventure games in which players explore historic settings and sneak around killing people. Most games in the series star male protagonists. This has been a point of contention as far back as 2014, when an Ubisoft creative director said Assassin's Creed Unity wouldn't let people play online as female characters because "it was really a lot of extra production work" to add women's clothing and animations to the game.​
For the next game, Assassin's Creed Syndicate, an early outline of the script gave equal screen time to the twin protagonists, Jacob and Evie, according to three people who worked on the project. In the end, Jacob dominated the game. Assassin's Creed Origins, released in 2017, was originally going to injure or kill off its male hero, Bayek, early in the story and give the player control of his wife, Aya, according to two people who worked on it. But Aya's role gradually shrank over the course of development and Bayek became the leading figure.​
Development of 2018's Assassin's Creed Odyssey went much the same way. The game tells the story of siblings Kassandra and Alexios. The team originally proposed making the sister the only playable character, according to four people who worked on the game, until they were told that wasn't an option. The final product gives players a choice between the two characters.​
Current and former Ubisoft employees say these changes, which haven't been previously reported, are illustrative of the sexism ingrained within the company. All of the directives came from Ubisoft's marketing department or from Hascoët, both of whom suggested female protagonists wouldn't sell, the developers say. This false perception has been commonly held in the video game industry for decades. It ignores hits such as the Tomb Raider series or Sony Corp.'s Horizon Zero Dawn, which sold more than 10 million copies.​
Developers say they were compelled to make big compromises to avoid changes from Hascoët that might be detrimental to their project or result in outright cancellation. For example, Hascoët openly expressed disdain for linear storytelling and cut scenes, the interstitial videos that exist between gameplay to advance the narrative. The writers had to find ways to keep his attention, and often that involved installing a strong male lead, the employees say.​
By 2019, though, there were signs Hascoët was losing his creative magic. Ubisoft released two big flops: The Division 2, an online game that failed to meet sales expectations despite critical acclaim, and Ghost Recon Breakpoint, a tactical shooter that was widely panned. Ubisoft had developed a reputation, in large part because of Hascoët, for releasing games with similar tropes: large, open-world environments giving the player a list of tasks to accomplish and checkpoints to clear. By the end of last year, Ubisoft's stock declined more than 40% from its high a year earlier.​
As a result of these failures, the company overhauled the editorial department, elevating seven vice presidents reporting to Hascoët. The goal was to distribute Hascoët's power and diversify the games, employees say. All seven vice presidents were men. Béland and François were among those promoted, despite a history of misconduct complaints.​

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Developers say they were compelled to make big compromises to avoid changes from Hascoët that might be detrimental to their project or result in outright cancellation. For example, Hascoët openly expressed disdain for linear storytelling and cut scenes, the interstitial videos that exist between gameplay to advance the narrative.

Well that literally explains the immense stagnation that has plagued many of Ubisoft's AAA games over the past decade. Because they've all been made to cater to one individual. What a fucking moron.

Stickman

Oct 27, 2017
My god, what a rotten, disgusting corporation. Unbelievable that all of this was going on for years and years being covered up as long as the games sold. Really happy i haven't given them any of my money in a long time because i don't care about the games they make. Last Ubi game i bought was probably Rayman Legends.
Incredible that the Ubisoft-Formula has become such a trope because every game was made more or less for the tastes of one person controlling everything.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
Almost done reading it but:

On July 12, Ubisoft announced the departures of Hascoët, creative chief; Cécile Cornet, global head of HR; and Yannis Mallat, managing director of Ubisoft's Canadian studios.

Worth point Cécile Cornet stepped down from her position but remains within the company.

And for Hascoet, we also should be extra careful because Ubisoft management was at some point looking at ways to keep him close to the company as a consultant.

Edit: Poke jschreier just in case. Excellent work as always!

And I almost forgot: Fuck Ubisoft top management. You have so many talented people in your teams but you decided to make the entire thing rotten to the core. And reading some testimonies since the first allegations, it is now spread very largely among many men working there. You created a hostile and dangerous environment.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
can someone explain to me what job HR has when they ignore all personnel complaints? Is it just handing out paystubs and onboarding the excessive amount of White men you're hiring.?

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
can someone explain to me what job HR has when they ignore all personnel complaints? Is it just handing out paystubs and onboarding the excessive amount of White men you're hiring.?
If you have good leadership, HR is there for you. If it's shitty leadership, HR is there for the leadership and you better not step out of line.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
User Banned (2 Weeks): Whataboutism and derailing in a sensitive thread
Is Insomniac going to be held responsible for the shit that went at their company? Or everybody just looks at Ubisoft and ignores Insomniac coz everybody love their games?

Got Danny

Nov 8, 2017
Turns out that it's a lot easier to research a company operating in the West than it is one in China. Who'd have thought?
I actually didn't think about that, good point. Also, was the snark necessary?

I'm still waiting for investigative reporters to go undercover into the Foxconn and other factories employing Uighur slaves to manufacture the new Playstation 5, Xbox Series X, and other tech gadgets. It's harder work than just interviewing employees in the western world with the same language and not living under a digital dictatorship where reporters are followed and questioned.

Valid, I honestly didn't consider this, though I still find it strange that he's basically radio silent about it. But hey, he could trying to work something behind the scenes

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
User Banned (1 week): Whataboutism in a sensitive thread
I actually didn't think about that, good point. Also, was the snark necessary?

Valid, I honestly didn't consider this, though I still find it strange that he's basically radio silent about it. But hey, he could trying to work something behind the scenes
I want to make it clear, Bloomberg and many other videogame outlets could still be covering the Uighur genocide movement and how it relates to videogame console manufacturing by citing investigative reports that have already been done and give it coverage in that way without having to do their own journalism. It's disappointing. But caring about the plight of muslims in the videogame space is very low on the totem pole.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
Fuck Ubisoft. I wish the Guillemots would get gutted, but thats not happening. Let's hope the gaming media will take this seriously now.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
I'm flabbergasted by the fact that Yves G can go on stage and look like your friendly uncle. Meanwhile his company is on the boiling point with bigotry.

Scuttlefluff

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone else considering a boycott of AC, WDL and FC6? I like the look of WD (and I love the series) but the gross stories around the company has tainted all of these titles quite a bit.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
So, with all that toxic workplace culture, plus marketing and "creative" meddling in the development process, I think we can have a good idea of what happened to Beyond Good and Evil 2 :(

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
So that Ubisoft diversity disclaimer was literal performative progressiveness that meant nothing in the end with the games themselves.
1487071650840923721.jpg

I thought it was very obvious that they put that in the first Assassin's Creed game because it was set in Syria, and they were scared of backlash from Muslims with the reframing of the Knights Templar.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Quick reminder that according to Libération, Ubisoft still intended on working with Serge Hascoet on a freelance capacity even after his resignation.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy that a journalist reports on sexual harassment and y'all wring your hands to lament why white guy jason schrier doesn't go under cover in a Chinese concentration camp to get the story you want

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad Jason decided to investigate this, since this is in English and much more accessible to people than the French article.
I wish the Guillemot's themselves would step down. It's clear they are the root of the problem.
I feel this thread should be kept open, or the other thread should be renamed. The thread about AC:O's female character buries the lead on all the allegation stuff.
Yeah, this one is a lot more important. Needs a better title too.

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
Will be interesting to see how many replies and views this gets compared to Ubisoft's pathetic UbiFoeard shit.
Gamers really don't want to see how the sausage is made

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
The sad part of this is, game industry or no, I can't think of any large company I've worked for who didn't have issues of this ilk. It completely infuriates me of the abuse of power within corporate America and abroad. The unethical are continuously rewarded.