• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
killedbygoogle.com

Killed by Google

Killed by Google is the open source list of dead Google products, services, and devices. It serves as a tribute and memorial of beloved services and products killed by Google.

Any day now
How can you kill something that never really lived?

What were they thinking with those data usages in a data capped region like the US? The people who can afford unlimited data in North America can afford to buy consoles and play these games locally, off line, lag free.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

What were they thinking with those data usages in a data capped region like the US? The people who can afford unlimited data in North America can afford to buy consoles and play these games locally, off line, lag free.

This is why I am confused by this whole thing. What was/is their target audience? It's certainly not people in the US who can't afford consoles/decent PCs. Yeesh.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany

Are data caps really that common outside of mobile plans in the US? Like I would be fucked if my cable/wi-fi at home would be capped.

Plotinus

Oct 30, 2017
What an utterly half-assed, unappealing product. Jeez, the Epic Game Store is trash, but at least Epic kind of knew that and realized they needed to grab a bunch of exclusives quickly and offer a whole rash of free games to get people in the door. Where the hell is that stuff for Stadia?

Google's really out here thinking that people will be lining up to pay $129 plus $10/month to get their controllers shipped late so they can have the privilege of buying an inferior version of a two-year-old game for $60 on a service that might very well get cancelled in the near future. The sheer swaggering arrogance is astonishing.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Google really whiffed on the target demo here. You want to go for people like me that have moved away from the traditional "pay $60 upfront, hope you like the game" interaction. Once I found out that you have to still pay the same (or higher) price for the games, I was out.

What I want (and might get) is something like xCloud where I can stream any of the Game Pass games. I don't want to buy individual titles for a premium; that's what I've left behind!

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
What an utterly half-assed, unappealing product. Jeez, the Epic Game Store is trash, but at least Epic kind of knew that and realized they needed to grab a bunch of exclusives quickly and offer a whole rash of free games to get people in the door. Where the hell is that stuff for Stadia?

Google's really out here thinking that people will be lining up to pay $129 plus $10/month to get their controllers shipped late so they can have the privilege of buying an inferior version of a two-year-old game for $60 on a service that might very well get cancelled in the near future. The sheer swaggering arrogance is astonishing.
That is Google.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017

All you'd have to do is look at how Google has handled their Pixel phone launches for the past couple of years to see the same mistakes being made here.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I can't see how publishers could justify pulling out of any agreements based on a single day since the service launched. It's still early.
We obviously aren't privy to what they're seeing internally, but it's entirely possible that at least some publishers see Stadia as a shitshow ready to implode and don't want to spend money and resources on what appears to be an inevitable failure.

Why bother supporting Stadia when Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, and traditional PC distribution all offer platforms that are stable and have established audiences?

Yamajian

Oct 30, 2017
It seems like the service itself is pretty good. It's the business model that sucks ass here. Switch to a Netflix streaming model and they can bounce back pretty fast.

Horror

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Exclusives first, service second. Take note from Sony and Nintendo. Companies keep trying to put the cart before the horse in this industry and keep getting washed aside.

Oct 28, 2017
Google should set the games to render at higher internal rendering resolution, then give an option to stream the game at 720p@60FPS.
It could turn out better than the fixed 1080p or 4K options, also be friendly with bandwidth limitations on internet packages.

Crash331

Oct 28, 2017
This is why I am confused by this whole thing. What was/is their target audience? It's certainly not people in the US who can't afford consoles/decent PCs. Yeesh.

It's for people that can't afford a console after 6 years on the market.

But they can afford a subscription service. And they can afford buying undiscounted games.

We have customers in my field that are very price conscious and some that are not, and the price conscious customers ALWAYS require more support because the employees wear many hats, are lower quality employees, they can't afford things like their own IT departments or on-call admins/managers, etc.

It just seems really dumb to target this market that is already small but also broke.

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Their position will make more sense if/when new consoles start to come out and they're offering the new games to people who can't afford the $500 entry fee to next-gen. They have to, of course, figure out how to make current-gen games run at current-gen specs first, but I'm hopeful they'll figure that out.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
Their position will make more sense if/when new consoles start to come out and they're offering the new games to people who can't afford the $500 entry fee to next-gen. They have to, of course, figure out how to make current-gen games run at current-gen specs first, but I'm hopeful they'll figure that out.

I'm not sure if there are that many people with uncapped high-speed internet who somehow can't afford a $500 console.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
Are you putting an antenna on your home?

It doesn't go through walls.

It's more about how caps and speeds will have to be changed once 5g is widespread. If in the future, Verizon 5g is offering speeds up to 5 or 10 gbps, then an ISP such as Comcast will have no choice but to upgrade their infrastructure and match them when it comes to this. 5g is a power play. That's a big reason why multiple companies are racing to be the first to offer it.

When this all happens, things like Stadia will make more sense. Right now from all angles it seems foolish to fight a video game streaming war when the rest of the world isn't ready for it. They did it too soon, same with XCloud and PSNOW.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda surprised that the pre orders were low, wasn't there enough hype?
It's possible that I missed a lot of hype, but what I saw (outside of the internet video games bubble) was practically nothing - a few articles on mainstream sites when Stadia was announced, and a few reviews on mainstream sites this week.

Whatever hype there was, I think it's pretty clear that it didn't cut through to the public. Google Trends shows a very low level of interest in Stadia - except for the announcement and the Stadia Connect videos, it manages to consistently draw fewer Google searches (in 2019) than machines like the Wii U and PS2.

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
It's more about how caps and speeds will have to be changed once 5g is widespread. If in the future, Verizon 5g is offering speeds up to 5 or 10 gbps, then an ISP such as Comcast will have no choice but to upgrade their infrastructure and match them when it comes to this. 5g is a power play. That's a big reason why multiple companies are racing to be the first to offer it.

When this all happens, things like Stadia will make more sense. Right now from all angles it seems foolish to fight a video game streaming war when the rest of the world isn't ready for it. They did it too soon, same with XCloud and PSNOW.

Why would 5G have any impact on your connection to the internet? 5G is nothing but the connection of devices inside a 5G radio cell - like a local network. The actual wired internet access of that cell depends on what is available in that area and can very well be slow as fuck.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Google's really out here thinking that people will be lining up to pay $129 plus $10/month to get their controllers shipped late so they can have the privilege of buying an inferior version of a two-year-old game for $60 on a service that might very well get cancelled in the near future.

i don't think they did. thus the eponymous "founders" edition, it's for people who want to get in on the ground floor

but even by that modest metric it probably hit well below expectations. in the end it'll depend on how much loss leading they planned going into this

Last edited:

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
apparently no one knows who they are or why you should trust them but under no circumstance are you allowed to question their legitimacy
Edit: You we're talking about an actual cat avatared twitter, my bad it's early lol

I agree though, I don't get why people are taking that one at face value. It just seems to be some rando on twitter...

Last edited:

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019

This.

Z-oo31

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Solving the input lag issue was always about trying to break the laws of physics. They didn't succeed of course.

Thumper is one of the games on Stadia. How on earth are people going to place that game with any kind of lag?

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
How are the preorders low, and some people didn't get their controllers on time?

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Google thought they could just fall in and challenge the big 3 🤦‍♂️..

I mean, they still can. When it's more mature next year, they should put it into every TV and phone as an app. Then advertise it heavily to the general consumer as "you don't need a console or a PC, just buy the games in the app and get the same experience directly on your TV, no investment needed! No hardware upgrades, patches, troubleshooting needed, ever!"
It surely would attract a good amount of people.

But I don't think they will be able to do it. It won't be as simple to use, not as widely available and not as clearly communicated as it needs to be.