• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
They should partner with someone. Gaming will more than likely head this way after Digital Only. Nintendo or Sony whoever needs them more. If anyone has the tech or resources its google.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Didn't know it was coming out today.
Is it a worldwide launch?

I know what stadia is (videogame streaming platform?) for only a few weeks now anyways.
Don't know what it looks either. Or is it just the gamepad?

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I think Stadia will be the best execution of game streaming technology. Too bad Google fucked up the launch with poor marketing and an unappealing pitch to consumers.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
you mean like vudu or iTunes?
I actually just rent movies on vudu usually, 4-6 dollars for a 4k Dolby Vision stream that looks damn good with surprisingly acceptable 5.1 sound. In order to get that on Stadia, you have to pay a sub, and then it probably doesn't even look as good as 4k vudu, or sound as good, and it has input lag. Who the fuck buys $30 Movies on itunes and vudu anyway? Shit is on sale for $5-$10 there all the time, and you can watch brand new movies for cheap, as opposed to paying 60 dollars for a middling stream of a Tomb Raider game that came out 2 years ago.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I think Stadia will be the best execution of game streaming technology. Too bad Google fucked up the launch with poor marketing and an unappealing pitch to consumers.
Yeah, their launch has been a clusterfuck. there is nothing wrong with the technology and it does work, but the lack of promised features and even basic integration is staggering.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
You don't have to pay a sub for stadia either. That's just for stadia pro.
Right, only Stadia pro is available right now, with no release date for the "free" version, which also is only 1080p and only stereo sound. Also these services let you download films and store them locally, so.....what?

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
I just don't think the average household internet setup is ever going to realise a smooth gaming experience on Stadia.

I mean imagine you're in a really intense gaming moment only to suffer stuttering or even an outage.

Sorry but fuck that. That shit could damage first time experiences of fantastic games. It would be like getting thrown out of the cinema during the peak of a film premiere.

I have a higher regard for gaming experiences than to rely on a server 1000s of miles away from my couch.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I guess I shouldn't be shocked by a company that all but abandoned their fiber internet plans (at least throwing existing build-outs a bone and keeping service on for now), has once again dropped the ball initially on a service highly dependent on seemingly near perfect internet infrastructure.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I actually just rent movies on vudu usually, 4-6 dollars for a 4k Dolby Vision stream that looks damn good with surprisingly acceptable 5.1 sound. In order to get that on Stadia, you have to pay a sub, and then it probably doesn't even look as good as 4k vudu, or sound as good, and it has input lag. Who the fuck buys $30 Movies on itunes and vudu anyway? Shit is on sale for $5-$10 there all the time, and you can watch brand new movies for cheap, as opposed to paying 60 dollars for a middling stream of a Tomb Raider game that came out 2 years ago.

my point is people buy movies on digital.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
All of these. I don't know why some of the posters on here like ShabbadooJr are happy to let go of ownership of games for streaming in which 1st, 2nd & 3rd party publishers can easily pull away games at any given time without a warning. It's what companies want, & posters like him are falling for it.
I was going to write a post myself, but honestly, you nailed exactly what I was trying to convey.

Oct 25, 2017
I was a big fan of OnLive in its heyday for a couple reasons. 1 - living in Los Angeles I never had an issue with the streaming itself. But what people probably don't know is that OnLive subsidized game purchases like crazy. I got Deus Ex Human Revolution like 2 months after it released for one dollar on one of their crazy promotions they liked to do. They really needed to push promotions like that to get people to go out of their way to try out the service.

Google is really going to need to open up the pocketbooks and take a hard look at their game pricing.

Sleuth

alt account
Banned
Jul 18, 2019
It obviously needs to be far more aggressively priced or just have a completely different model.

Seems like Google is just being stubborn because fucking everyone has been saying this. Especially since this whole service has a high chance of not being around at all in the near future why the hell would you pay full price for a game on it?

Even if only for a year or two, they needed it to be undeniable pricing. The idea that to play in 4K you're paying for a sub and full price is just ridiculous.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I was a big fan of OnLive in its heyday for a couple reasons. 1 - living in Los Angeles I never had an issue with the streaming itself. But what people probably don't know is that OnLive subsidized game purchases like crazy. I got Deus Ex Human Revolution like 2 months after it released for one dollar on one of their crazy promotions they liked to do. They really needed to push promotions like that to get people to go out of their way to try out the service.

Google is really going to need to open up the pocketbooks and take a hard look at their game pricing.
I'd rather pay 60€ for a game that have it on Stadia for free.

I'm buying RDR2 on Steam on December. If Google literally sent me today an email saying that they're giving me RDR2 for free on Stadia I'd just ignore it and buy it on Steam anyway. And this is coming from someone with a fiber 300 Mbps download AND upload connection.

Some people are against the very concept of streaming games.

Also, call me when I can stream games at high framerates on my 240 Hz monitor. Actually don't because I'd still ignore it but yeah in its current state it stands -1 chances of appealing to me instead of 0.

Last edited:

Doggg

â–² Legend â–²
Nov 17, 2017
One day, I'll be basking in the sun, playing ports through Stadia on my Google Glass. One day.

Last edited:

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
/r/stadia is in shambles. Those people are the ones that ordered early and believed in the product and it's a complete mess. People not getting their product, people not getting their code, people unable to choose their SN early as promised, great job Google.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It'd be interesting if someone could show Stadia gameplay and have an on-screen meter showing the bandwidth being consumed to deliver that data.

How much is being downloaded if I play 2 hours at 4K60?

klauskpm

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
/r/stadia is in shambles. Those people are the ones that ordered early and believed in the product and it's a complete mess. People not getting their product, people not getting their code, people unable to choose their SN early as promised, great job Google.
I think the flood gates just opened and a lot of people are now getting their codes, finally. Some people are reporting to have a great experience so far in the Stadia OT. At least something good in the midst of this asinine handled launch.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Now Google will hopefully listen and go with a netflix/gamepass like model now. It's literally their only chance for this thing to even have a chance to succeed at this point.

Oct 27, 2017
It'd be interesting if someone could show Stadia gameplay and have an on-screen meter showing the bandwidth being consumed to deliver that data.

How much is being downloaded if I play 2 hours at 4K60?
I think Digital Foundry mentioned it was 20GB an hour.
www.eurogamer.net

Stadia tech review: the best game streaming yet, but far from ready

Can Stadia tech out-muscle Xbox One X? How good is the streaming quality and what about the lag?
bandwidth is still very much a precious commodity for most users and Stadia at its best requires 20GB of the stuff for an hour of play at its highest quality level

For my money, the founder's edition only exists to fulfil they promise of Stadia launching this year.
The real launch isn't until the free version is available and works on virtually every Android device.

The business model makes sense if you don't have to pay anything up front.
The idea of casual players seeing an advert in a browser and then able to start playing is a powerful image.
In it's current state, Stadia doesn't deliver this.

I'm not sure what their expectations were but having to buy anything is a barrier to what Stadia is supposed to provide.
So it can't be a flop until it launches properly at some point in 2020.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
www.eurogamer.net

Can Stadia tech out-muscle Xbox One X? How good is the streaming quality and what about the lag?

For my money, the founder's edition only exists to fulfil they promise of Stadia launching this year.
The real launch isn't until the free version is available and works on virtually every Android device.

The idea of casual players seeing an advert in a browser and then able to start playing is a powerful image.

I'm not sure what they're expectations were but having to buy anything is a barrier to what Stadia is supposed to provide.

20GB/hour is ridiculously expensive. That's 2TB of data if you play 100 hours of RDR2.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
www.eurogamer.net

I'm not sure what their expectations were but having to buy anything is a barrier to what Stadia is supposed to provide.
The problem is they have no announced date for the "free" version, no announced date for ANY of their big features they were touting, games performing significantly worse in settings/res/framerate than they said. It's a flop now, this is the launch, the word of mouth on it is terrible, they have no audience anymore. Stadia is fucked.

People were saying shit like "once stadia has all the games steam has it will really take off sometime next year" and now those goal posts have been moved to " well it's cheaper than a console and the real launch is a year from now"

It runs Destiny 2 at 1080p on medium settings even on the "4k" subscription. My 5 year old PC does better than that. This thing has a stink on it that is not gonna be washed off by some weird subgroup of people who can't afford $200 consoles but pay $100 a month for fast internet and want to play a 2 year old Tomb Raider game on their phone for $60 with a controller plugged into it.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
I've been seeing ads on YouTube and they are basically advertising features that aren't working at this point. Seems a bit shitty.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
082.gif

It´s fascinating how many failed consoles, or whatever this is, I lived through. Off to the Google graveyard you go.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What's the preorder even for? A controller? I thought stadia streamed to devices you already own? Shouldn't you not need to preorder anything?

Haven't been following this shit, no interest in streaming.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
What's the preorder even for? A controller? I thought stadia streamed to devices you already own? Shouldn't you not need to preorder anything?

Haven't been following this shit, no interest in streaming.
It was for a special chromecast that plays stadia (regular chrome cast won't work, but it will eventually, sometime, date unannounced) and access to stadia. You cant just buy stadia games and try it unless you pay them $130 for a chromecast and a controller. Not that you'd want to, unless you're interested in worse versions of old console games with +50ms additional input lag. Even then it only works on pixel phones right now, and chrome desktop browsers, and chromecast (only their special chrom cast)

UCBooties

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
www.eurogamer.net

20gb an hour? I'm so glad I cancelled. I knew the game pricing was going to be fuckery when they wouldn't tell anyone what shit would cost less than a week before launch, but this is absurd.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
They promised to revolutionize gaming when they announced it.

Then they released a bare bones just streaming service with a few old games, some don't even run on high settings.

m0dus

Truant Pixel
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
killedbygoogle.com

Killed by Google

Killed by Google is the open source list of dead Google products, services, and devices. It serves as a tribute and memorial of beloved services and products killed by Google.

Any day now

6ebd41a7-f873-4073-aexjid.jpeg

literally the image that came to mind 🤔

I take no joy from anyone's failures, not even google, because invariably some hard working people are affected (as a division within the company, it's their entire job to make this project work, after all). Rather I'm just...surprised how this has evolved and progressed despite the realities of internet services and accessibility in this country.