• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PSNow is already available on PC though? It really makes no sense about potential ceiling.
Good point I forgot about that as I have a Mac so don't get the benefits of either service on it
thank you for the correctlon

And xcloud extends beyond even PC so the potential ceiling is still higher which was that posters point - not that PSNow was doomed

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
that's a really long post so I don't know what exactly you are trying to refute from my factual statement but to say succinctly:

I never stated Microsoft games left GamePass

what I stated is that often when Sony 1st party games does come to PSNow it's often just for a limited time (I feel around three months but that might vary)

while you may not see the two services being similar others do - including industry analysts. As a subscriber to both I also see them as competing services. One is just currently much more attractive than the other
Apologies, I corrected my post with an edit to clarify that I may have misunderstood your point on games leaving. I had been under the assumption that you were talking about Game Pass first party titles disappearing, my bad!

I also definitely get the comparisons, that is 100% with reason considering they both deliver games under a subscription service system. Likewise, at this stage from the rumour I do not see it being in the same "league" as Game Pass due to no clarification (yet) on how the catalogue will work.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Apologies, I corrected my post with an edit to clarify that I may have misunderstood your point on games leaving. I had been under the assumption that you were talking about Game Pass first party titles disappearing, my bad!

I also definitely get the comparisons, that is 100% with reason considering they both deliver games under a subscription service system. Likewise, at this stage from the rumour I do not see it being in the same "league" as Game Pass due to no clarification (yet) on how the catalogue will work.
No apologies needed thanks for being civil

as a PSNow subber I Realize it will be years….if ever….Sony games will be day 1 on the service. However I would be very content if they were released 6 months after launch and stayed on the service (which crossing mediums would be like the DC and Marvel comics sub services)

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
Nintendo is waving to you
Yeah, owning a Switch just for the 1-2 exclusives every 1-2 years I'm really interested in is annoying. Playing them at crazy resolutions and framerates thanks to emulation does ease the pain a bit though! Of course I'd prefer they be there natively, but I know that isn't going to happen. With Sony inching into the PC space at least there's the potential for a really good service that supports PC from them. Here's hoping.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, owning a Switch just for the 1-2 exclusives every 1-2 years I'm really interested in is annoying. Playing them at crazy resolutions and framerates thanks to emulation does ease the pain a bit though! Of course I'd prefer they be there natively, but I know that isn't going to happen. With Sony inching into the PC space at least there's the potential for a really good service that supports PC from them. Here's hoping.
My hot take is that by the time PS6 releases Sony's PC support will be extremely similar to MS. The only thing that may be different is that I don't think they will have an equivalent to Play Anywhere (both in terms of only one purchase necessary nor in the ability to hop back and forth between PC and console with the same save state. For the latter see the nonsense with PS4 to PS5 games saves)

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
No way. Im not necessarily saying day 1 games but sony could pay much less than 7B to get square to commit to only putting games on PS Pass, and not XGP, for say 5 years, for a large fee. Doesn't mean FF16 is there day 1, just means when FF16 is at the point it can go to services like this, it would only go to PS Pass.

they could do it per IP too. Like Sony pays $50M to have Final Fantasy only go on PS Pass, whenever square decides they want to. Like square would commit to say putting a bunch of older classics and games on there, and commit to only putting new FF games on their if they put them on any service at all.

this is totally going to happen as game pass type services pop up
When your competition is gobbling up huge IP and keeping it exclusive to their ecosystem, then as a company, you need to be doing the same or coming up with huge IP as a counter move. Paying a large fee for timed subscription service exclusivity is dumb after you have paid for timed exclusivity. Sony could easily be spending $100 million, and at that point, why not just make your own game?

The last time Sony invested in studios over a short period of time was when the bought Guerrilla (2005), Zipper (2006), Bigbig, Evolution (2007) and at that time, it was because they knew they were going to lose default third party exclusives. Their latest investment spree has seen them acquire Insomniac, Bluepoint, Housemarque, Firesprite, Nixxes while expanding some of their other teams. It is transitioning towards having more first party content coming out, and porting more of their stuff themselves on PC.

Microsoft spending lose to $8B for Bethesda was the cost to acquire IP, tech, talent and a need to have total control of these IP. This is a platform holder that had seen former partners bought out, or change course; something that they could not control. Sony got Ghostwire and Deathloop as exclusives, but lost Starfield, The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, DOOM etc. It was a poor trade, and I think that this is similar.

The biggest appeal to Game Pass is games coming in day and date. Microsoft has their own games that hit the service day and date, and third party stuff that do the same be it stuff like MLB, Outriders, or next year something like S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2.

Sony would be daft to pay for timed exclusivity, gain sales or keep sales from leaking to another platform then pay money after sales are dead to keep a game from going to a subscription service. You are not wrong that there likely will be some misallocation of capital especially as these services try and figure out what the best way of spreading investment is when it comes to acquiring and retaining customers. That said, straight off the bat, this is possibly one of the worst moves I see happening.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
It's absolutely due to their value. Games don't drop in price because they are supposed to for some reason, they drop in price to maximize the total amount of money a publisher can get from a game. If any other publisher could keep their games full priced without losing total revenue, they would.
It has nothing to do with value but more to do with the fact that Nintendo does not want to set a precedent where people wait for price drops to get their games. It is not new in the world of retail either.

In addition to this, Nintendo is putting out weak hardware and missing out on many third party games. There is limited competition on their platform and that allows them to get away with stuff others would not be able to get away with. It is what it is.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Sony is far too reactionary. They should have done this years ago, when they released PS Now.

If Sony wants to be a relevant player in any industry in tech, they need to be a disrupter and move rapidly.

The price of tying third party releases to a subscription will constantly increase. Acquiring the publisher is much cheaper in the long term. You own the IP and it's a permanent exclusive on the subscription service.
I mean maybe but they clearly already made some small deal to keep RE8 OFF game pass so i imagine deals for say Yakuza, Dragon Quest, RE, Final Fantasy back catalogs to not go to game pass and only go to PS Pass really wouldn't cost as much as a whole new game. They aren't necessarily paying this to get RE9 day 1, or even RE8 long after release, but RE1-7. That's what I Imagine, smaller deals.

whether that's 5M or 20M idk. You have to also consider Sony doesn't have something like MS office to offset losses for the company. Xbox is a very unique situation. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony is planning this to be profitable shortly after launch even with a smaller user base.
When your competition is gobbling up huge IP and keeping it exclusive to their ecosystem, then as a company, you need to be doing the same or coming up with huge IP as a counter move. Paying a large fee for timed subscription service exclusivity is dumb after you have paid for timed exclusivity. Sony could easily be spending $100 million, and at that point, why not just make your own game?
Isn't that what Netflix, HBO, Amazon do? They buy the rights to stream stuff like Seinfeld but they still air on cable tv.

I really don't think deals like "only play Dragon quest 11 and older" titles would cost $100M per deal. Even a "play Yakuza 0-7" wouldn't cost much since it's literally already on game pass like that.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I will sub if they add Ape Escape 1.

You can't even play the (PAL) disk copy on a PS3 for some reason, the emulation is broken.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
"No day one" is already making it sound inferior to GP. There's no point not going all in if you're going to bother starting a general subscription service.

Streusel

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 28, 2017
my pricing guess:
tier 1 - 9€, tier 2 - 12€, tier 3 - 15€

if there is a yearly option, it will be like: 70€ - 100€ - 130€

Dec 14, 2017
On one hand, yes, Sony could use the wonderful PS1/PSP back catalog as a draw. But for many people--the type that just play a few classic games a lot, rather than sampling everything--how is that better than just buying a Vita and your favorite games outright? The Vita is portable, and most of those games are $10 or less. Also, it is the best portable console ever made. No, I'm not at all biased. What are you talking about?...what were we talking about?

"just playstation users?" Bummer, it sounds like they'll be limited to 100+ million people. Doomed!
Only around half of Xbox users are on Game Pass, which blows the doors off PSNow, and while it might seem ridiculous for Sony to be limited to half their users for a GP competitor service, it isn't, because the upper level of numbers is really goddamned high in comparison to console-or-PC-only players. Sony doesn't have business, practical, or logistical systems in place to support any of that growth.

Microsoft was losing the fight in the console space, so they're dragging the fight into an environment in which they have manifold advantages—namely servers, streaming, business models for software service models from which they can build gaming service models…

Sony has little of that—at least not on the scale Microsoft has. This is Bear v. Shark, except the shark is slowly pulling the bear into deeper and deeper water where it can't compete.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Isn't that what Netflix, HBO, Amazon do? They buy the rights to stream stuff like Seinfeld but they still air on cable tv.

I really don't think deals like "only play Dragon quest 11 and older" titles would cost $100M per deal. Even a "play Yakuza 0-7" wouldn't cost much since it's literally already on game pass like that.
I was dealing with the numbers you gave. Even then, I think it is a huge waste of money paying subscription exclusivity on games. You are better making your own game or commissioning one.

Isn't that exactly what value is? 🤔
To who?

Will the classic games be native or streamed?
I know it's obvious why some are saying it's gonna be streaming, & Sony us just gonna be using thier ps now service. But here's the caveat to why that is most likely not the case: ps now doesn't have ps1 or psp games on its service to stream, it's only ps2 & up. That right there tells me it's gonna be a completely different system than psnow & it is most likely Gonna be emulation rather than streaming. I don't even know how you would even stream ps1 or psp games tbh.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
It has nothing to do with value but more to do with the fact that Nintendo does not want to set a precedent where people wait for price drops to get their games. It is not new in the world of retail either.

In addition to this, Nintendo is putting out weak hardware and missing out on many third party games. There is limited competition on their platform and that allows them to get away with stuff others would not be able to get away with. It is what it is.
Limited competition is a complete non-argument. Despite being half it's age the Switch already has more total games released than Xbox One.

Historically too Nintendo games haven't been spared from bomba bins (Other M being a pretty notorious example) and they instituted budget lines before Sony or MS ever had consoles. The real difference here is in setting expectations and audience conditioning.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
If streaming is the only way I get to play Legend of Legaia, I'll take it. Screw it.

But hey, that leak about Power Stone may be related to this. That's one title down! 🤗

STech

Sep 24, 2018
Pretty much. I stopped the back and forth and I am now in wait and see mode. I just hope the classics aren't streaming and can be played natively on our consoles because this is a huge sticking point for me. We will see next year.

Yup.

And idk if it's because I'm becoming older but I'm not going to get mad even if it's a disappointment (and is going to be in some way or several points, of course).
Just waitping and see, and move on.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
We'll, in my mind it's Nintendo's value (as a whole) that allows them "to just be Nintendo". But I honestly can't say if there's a right or wrong here (not that my opinion matters) in y'all's conversation. But it's good to see the different perspectives.

The subjective theory of value is very deep.
That is the point I am making, Nintendo like any other party decides to set the price high and have it remain high regardless of whether sales have slowed or not choosing to not drop price to try and stimulate demand.

It sets a precedent, and they simply continue with that practice. It is not new in the world of retail for companies that want to fuel, what I see as propaganda that their products are more premium than the competition. There are various other variations of how this works in retail too.
Limited competition is a complete non-argument. Despite being half it's age the Switch already has more total games released than Xbox One.
Maybe I went with the wrong choice of words. Nintendo titles do not face the same competition from huge games that Sony and Microsoft games go up against in the third party space. Nintendo is the main game in town.

They also go from great console sales to poor console sales, and when they do, the games released on their platform plummets.

Historically too Nintendo games haven't been spared from bomba bins (Other M being a pretty notorious example) and they instituted budget lines before Sony or MS ever had consoles. The real difference here is in setting expectations and audience conditioning.
Which is what I said. It has nothing to do with perceived value as we are being told. I have followed enough retail businesses to know that that propaganda is just that.

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
It has to be a catch huh Sony. Yeah no thanks. Gamepass is more than enough for me. I quit supporting Sony when I realized they became cheap AF.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they follow Disney's lead concerning their AAA(A) games: Offer them just months later to skim all the early adopters, or you get a proper discount if you're a subscriber.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
It has to be a catch huh Sony. Yeah no thanks. Gamepass is more than enough for me. I quit supporting Sony when I realized they became cheap AF.
Whats the catch? They are just consolidating their split subscription model and improving their offering.
No day 1 releases. Not talking for the AAA games, would be too much to ask and they deserve to be bought, but if they wont even release some of their indies day 1 like Xbox does, then that's a catch for me.
The article doesnt say "no day 1 release ever", all that jason said is their big FP games wont be day one. The title of the thread might be a bit misleading in that regard. Sony had already offered multiple day one indie titles on their services and even their own first party (Destruction Allstars), but God of War Ragnarok wont launch on "PlayStation Plus Diamond" or whatever sort of marketing name they give it.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Yeah, I don't know how they are surviving right now. Hanging on by a thread.....
He means subscription. PS Now has been available for longer than Game Pass an it had something like 3.2 million subscribers.

Consumers sometimes do irrational things, but it is hard to imagine that Sony could offer less and be able to gain vastly more consumers. Personally, I think they will test waters, see what they market reacts to, but eventually I see them making their games available day and date.

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
Whats the catch? They are just consolidating their split subscription model and improving their offering.

The article doesnt say "no day 1 release ever", all that jason said is their big FP games wont be day one. The title of the thread might be a bit misleading in that regard.

Yeah i guess i was misleaded. I just reacted to the OP content which doesn't really give a lot of details in regard to any day 1 release.
Sony could definitely bring a gamepass version, but judging from their moves lacking generosity when it comes to ps+ weak titles or the most recent one lacking single player mode (forgot the game's name), i doubt they'll suddenly go 'all out' like microsoft is doing with gamepass.

Jun 23, 2019
Yeah i guess i was misleaded. I just reacted to the OP content which doesn't really give a lot of details in regard to any day 1 release.
Sony could definitely bring a gamepass version, but judging from their moves lacking generosity when it comes to ps+ weak titles or the most recent one lacking single player mode (forgot the game's name), i doubt they'll suddenly go 'all out' like microsoft is doing with gamepass.
Lacking generosity? You know Gearbox is the one who made Godfall right? Not PlayStation?

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Don't rush. I was referring to ps+ titles with the lack of generosity because most months have been weak and that is a fact.
Is it possible that the games they released with PS+ just might not have been to your liking this year? Looking back at the whole list for 2021, and it is hard to say they have been lacking in generosity.