• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 30, 2017
Probably streaming for retro, which is a bummer. On system emu id be stoked if it was good. Lots of ps1/2 classics. Give me re 1/2/3 and Dino crisis. Retro on system with graphical options would be amazing

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
I guess my biggest hope from this is it doesn't result in a bunch of deals where games aren't allowed to appear on other subscription services for X amount of time but considering Sony's moneyhatting track record lately I'm guessing that's exactly where we're heading.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Is it, really? Streaming services popping up these last few years haven't added much value for my buck.
But in the gaming space at least they haven't taken anything away from the traditional models either. So, if it's better for some and presumably better for the companies then it should be a net win for everyone.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
No one is subscribing to any subscription service for old content. Imagine if Netflix waited years to put it's new shows on it's subscription service. Like you could only buy Tiger King for the first couple years when it comes out, it and then it gets added to the streaming service. Or imagine if Spotify waited years to add new albums to it's catalog. Unless it's going to include new 1st party games day one, I don't see any reality in which it is trying to "take on Game Pass".

Purdy

Oct 27, 2017
Is it still going to be largely streaming games?
Non-starter if so. Even XCloud was 'cool this works, but I never want to have to play like this'

A proper gamepass competitor (really only needs their first party games day one) would be fantastic.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Without day and date titles, this feels a little... hollow to me. Hopefully they don't charge more than 10 a month at that point.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Are you implying that Bethesda games like Starfield, Elder Scrolls, Doom and Fallout don't sell a lot? Forza just sold 2 mil in a week in early access before it launched on Game Pass. The end goal isn't upfront sales but making more money long-term with subscriptions, and if Sony isn't playing the long game and is just doing what Jason said in the threadmark then it isn't going to be a competitor.
what

how did my post somehow touch a nerve?

ItsBradazHD

Nov 21, 2018
People asking for non streaming option for retro, the PS2 games on PSNow currently can be downloaded. I would probably expect the same for PS1 and PSP at least. PS3 is another story.

Hopefully they dive deeper into the PS2 back catalogue of releases, and don't just put whatever was part of the PS2-on-PS4 program as the ONLY ps2 titles in this sub (And fix some of the wonky emulation issues that some of these have on PS5)

Ser Ignatius

Chicken Chaser
Apr 15, 2020
Sounds good to me, especially if they are going to be making more BC games available. Exciting times, can't wait to see what they are cooking up.

yhgtu

Sep 12, 2021
A selection of their games, and no day 1 first party? Doesn't sound very much like Game Pass to me...

Putting your first party games day one is a genie that you cannot put back in the bottle once done. Sony knows they would make more releasing their games as normal releases, unless they wanted to sink profits currently, or got really desperate in the near future, I don't see it happening. Xbox was in a much different place when they decided to do day 1 games. It would take a lot for Sony to do that imo, with all the profit they would be leaving on the table from their largest division.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I mean just strengthen Now. The service is already there it just needs to be better. Merging with Plus is fine too. If they aren't putting 1st party day 1 (which is fine) then I don't see a purpose of a rebrand. Make it better, do promotions, give a tier with Plus and voila, people will come (just like when Plus got a lot better).

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
If they add all this back compat stuff but require me to sub to this services high tier to play games I already own they can jog on.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
But in the gaming space at least they haven't taken anything away from the traditional models either. So, if it's better for some and presumably better for the companies then it should be a net win for everyone.
It sure won't for me as soon as one service start moneyhatting third party games from certain companies to keep them from showing up on the competition's service.

Oct 25, 2017
No one is subscribing to any subscription service for old content. Imagine if Netflix waited years to put it's new shows on it's subscription service. Like you could only buy Tiger King for the first couple years when it comes out, it and then it gets added to the streaming service. Or imagine if Spotify waited years to add new albums to it's catalog. Unless it's going to include new 1st party games day one, I don't see any reality in which it is trying to "take on Game Pass".

People absolutely will subscribe to play free games. And this will most likely have new free 3rd party offerings similar to gamepass but of course someone has to rain on the parade

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
If they can run PS1 and PSP games on the PS5 natively, they should give people who already bought copies of those games digitally free access to those games. I've got dozens of digital PS1 and PSP games purchases attached to my PSN account.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Getting a bad feeling about this one. I think they'll bloat it with tv and music. Miss the early PS+ days on PS3.
It's worth noting that Sony Pictures doesn't currently have it's own streaming service, and seems to be content letting everyone else pay them a lot of money to just licence their back catalogue.

If Sony was also planning this at the same time as a big, star-studded relaunch of Crackle - maybe we'd have to worry about them bundling in unnecessary bullshit.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
If they're planning PS1, PS2, PS3 and PSP games for this service then backwards compatibility has to come as well for those games.
One would think so normally, but if you check the safety guides for the PS5 models with the optical disc drive, there's a line where it specifically says PS1, PS2, and PS3 software cannot be played from disc. Even the PS4 guides didn't go that far, they just said CDs can't be played (implying music CDs). Sony really isn't interested in honoring any money customers spent before 2013, so I doubt the old PS1/2 Classics from PSN will be compatible. I'd wager it's just whatever their service can license and that's it. And the Japanese sub will have most of the games I want, except not in English.

I'd argue that people like me that already have most of the old games they want are few and I'd probably be happy to sign up to fill in the gaps if I didn't feel like I had to just to play the games I already own. As it is, chances are about 100% that their service is going to be missing a bunch of games I own, so it's going to be even more frustrating to still not be able to play, for example, the Futurama PS2 game with their service.

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
Will be nice to have games from older generations and finally offer PS5 titles (which I hope will also be part of it).

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
They saw how well gamepass does and decided it is smart thing to do. Super excited, because gamepass is INSANE value.
Well this does not seem like a GamePass service. It doesn't seems to include day one first party games. And personally I don't see Sony adding their games in a subscription service any time soon.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
I think we all kind of saw this coming a mile away. I was always surprised to see a lot of people saying this would never happen. And yeah, probably no day one stuff but definitely a game pass rival in a much bigger way than any of their existing services are today.

I imagine there'll be a 10 to 20% discount on day one purchases though. If you're a member of this. Something like that.

PoeticProse22

Oct 25, 2017
Even though I'm rarely that enthusiastic about subscriptions, this sounds like a rather promising service. I never expected that day and date would be a possibility for Sony, so I'm not disappointed by its absence.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I would still be fine with that if the timeline is known and it was capped out at a year.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
this isn't a "unification" of the two services, just a rebranding and repackaging. You're just not getting PSNow functionality into PS+ as it is rn lol. You're still gonna have to pay up

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I guess my biggest hope from this is it doesn't result in a bunch of deals where games aren't allowed to appear on other subscription services for X amount of time but considering Sony's moneyhatting track record lately I'm guessing that's exactly where we're heading.
This is already a common thing, all the time a game pops up on PSNow/Plus after leaving GP and vice versa, both companies does this and it will get worse as the services gets bigger.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
The biggest appeal of my PS4/5 is Sony's first party, so I'm just not sure if I'd upgrade my PS+ without that being day 1, or shortly after even.

hog

Mar 9, 2021
About what I was expecting really. They need to re-launch their subscription offering but their overall business will still be reliant on selling premium priced blockbuster games.

Zep

Banned
Jul 12, 2021
It shouldn't be framed as Game Pass competitor then. Because that is the obvious implication.
I'm not sure why he framed it like that either…because when you talk gamepass that's gonna be the first thing to cross peoples mind. But when I clicked on this thread, I knew for a fact that "part" wasn't happening. No need to explain why, it's been said many times.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ps1, ps2 games? You have my interest

Turrican2

Oct 28, 2017
Hamburg
I am not the target group for a videogame subscription service as I don't have enough time for that and like to focus on a few games per year, but good for playstation users who like it.