• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I'm not quite sure why you're asking that, but I only ever plan to buy one console at launch.
Like I said, I think some are hoping Microsoft prices their system higher and give Sony the price advantage again. Microsoft learned a lot from the Xbox One launch, they don't want to make those mistakes again and why I say we can't go by history of what they will do this time.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The question really comes down to...Microsoft is making a lot of very positive moves for their brand lately. Even someone like me that has no particular interest in the Xbox platform can see that Microsoft seems really devoted to cutting out a bigger chunk of mindshare than they have in a while.

Meanwhile, Sony seems to just be coasting. From what we know of the PS5 thus far, Sony's whole selling argument seems to be "if you liked us this gen, next gen will be exactly that again". Obviously, for the people who are happy with Sony's output in recent months/years that sounds fine, but if you aren't one of those people, you're kinda looking at the PS5 and going "what exactly is this thing going to have that makes it a better choice than the alternative?"

If they can't "win" in terms of price or power, what's the silver bullet?
The only way Sony is gonna get me to buy a PS5 is if they keep moneyhatting FF7 remake times exclusivity. I fall in the camp of one of those people who lost interest in their first party this generation, so maybe I should be hesitant about hype in regards to PS5. I just have a feeling they're gonna pay for more exclusivity for the Japanese franchises I love and it'll force me to eventually buy a PS5.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking about this earlier, with the disappointing next-gen reveal yesterday and XGS not showing until July, this could leave an opening for Sony to swing hard with next-gen footage in June if this is true. People want that "holy shit next gen starts here" gameplay footage, and if Sony can capture that moment first it could create a strong momentum

Like I said, I think some are hoping Microsoft prices their system higher and give Sony the price advantage again. Microsoft learned a lot from the Xbox One launch, they don't want to make those mistakes again and why I say we can't go by history of what they will do this time.

The wrinkle there comes in the form of XSS, because if they do end up releasing a budget box its likely so they don't have to price the enthusiast box as aggressively

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I was thinking about this earlier, with the disappointing next-gen reveal yesterday and XGS not showing until July, this could leave an opening for Sony to swing hard with next-gen footage in June if this is true. People want that "holy shit next gen starts here" gameplay footage, and if Sony can capture that moment first it could create a strong momentum
Major third parties will probably show something before then.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
The only way Sony is gonna get me to buy a PS5 is if they keep moneyhatting FF7 remake times exclusivity. I fall in the camp of one of those people who lost interest in their first party this generation, so maybe I should be hesitant about hype in regards to PS5. I just have a feeling they're gonna pay for more exclusivity for the Japanese franchises I love and it'll force me to eventually buy a PS5.

Yeah the money hatting is pretty crappy. I'm all for the console makers supporting the develop of games that otherwise would never happen but paying to keep it off everyone elses platform is ridiculous. Just focus on your own IP in that case

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I think at launch, power is an important variable within reason. 3 years on from then, it's hard to get the ball rolling on that narrative. The problem with the Xbox One launch (among many) was that it was less powerful and more expensive. Series X is going in more powerful this time -- maybe not in a way that will dictate any kind of narrative, but it doesn't seem to be at a disadvantage from that standpoint, so being priced at $50 more than PS5 is not something that will be torn apart and in need of correction.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't heard anything concrete, or I would report it. Only reason I said anything at all was because I was asked about it on a podcast, but of course now that it's a ResetEra thread every bottom-feeding gaming website will quote me saying this too. I hate this vague rumormongering stuff.

ive often wondered why not a lot of other sites have writers that attempt to do more of the investigative type of reporting that you and a few other folks in the industry do. It seems like a lot of other outlets wait for other sites to do the digging so they can give their take on it and throw it on their website.

the other thing i wanted to ask is if you know why the lead up to these consoles has been so different from 2013. Of course covid threw a wrench into plans but, even before covid came into the picture information still felt like it was slower to arrive than it was in the first two or three months of 2013.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Thank goodness.

Sorry, but I've seen enough of these to know exactly how they go.
I think you're living in the past. Live shows used to be pretty bad. They've been mostly good now. When Sony has a good show, it totally destroys any comparable digital event. So I'm personally not ready to let that go. I like the events to be fun haha.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Right. Like I said, if you're engaged by Sony's extremely heavy focus on cinematic Western games with high production values over the past few years, of course you're gonna be excited by the PS5, because they're absolutely gonna deliver more of that and those games will be expertly made for the kind of people who enjoy them. I'm not doubting their quality level, Sony's FP studios are not bad developers. But for someone like me that's completely burned out on that kind of stuff...I don't know.

At the end of the day, I honestly just didn't like this gen very much and I really don't want next gen to be This Gen 2: Electric Boogaloo. Does that make sense?

Sure. It sucks that you can't seem to find much for you. Hope you get more of what you're looking for.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah the money hatting is pretty crappy. I'm all for the console makers supporting the develop of games that otherwise would never happen but paying to keep it off everyone elses platform is ridiculous. Just focus on your own IP in that case
For some reason your post made me thing of how awesome it's be if Sony revived Legend of Dragoon codeveloped by Platinum Games. Not sure why.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017

I thought I was the only one haha.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

I know what you mean. I don't have any interest in shelling out $500 to play sequels to Western games I don't care about.

Hell, I went with the PS1 and PS2 in the first place because they were the FF consoles. I bought my PS3 for Versus XIII, which was probably the worst financial decision of all time, and I bought my PS4 because of KH3 and FFXV, neither of which I even needed to buy the console for at the end of the day. If everyone is gonna have FF moving forward and Sony themselves aren't making Japanese exclusive titles, it kinda feels like any argument I could have for buying the PS5 is just gone.

That said, I don't want Sony to moneyhat Japanese studios to not release games on other platforms - that behavior is shit when Microsoft does it and it's shit when Sony does it. I want them to prove they're actually committed to nurturing and making those kinds of games rather than just paying off publishers to ignore their competition's hardware.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE

I expect them to both be $500.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
I guess the thing you have to remember is that taking a loss is going to be more expensive for Sony, as they will sell more units.

In one of the other threads people were suggesting that a $150 hit is feasible because of X,Y and Z
Sony are expecting to sell 6-7million to begin with.
That is a 1billion dollar loss just to make that happen.

So you have to ask yourself, if they didn't take that loss, how many would they sell anyway?
We know that the price isn't the be all and end all of things and Sony are a strong enough presence to sell for pretty much what they want.
As it turned out it didn't even hurt the PS3 in the long run when it was as expensive as it was and they had other problems to contend with.

Selling more consoles also means economies of scales, reducing the costs the more units are produced and also more software being sold.

It should be much easier for Sony to recoup the costs because they simply sell a lot more software.

And in comparison to Microsoft, only one hardware model is supplied, which is also more cost-effective.

But it is almost impossible to say what kind of targets both manufacturers have and who in the end is willing to sell at a higher loss.

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017
Y'know what'd kick ass?
They do an unboxing, they hook it up and they demo the thing in real-time. Then they show actual gameplay.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
Right. Like I said, if you're engaged by Sony's extremely heavy focus on cinematic Western games with high production values over the past few years, of course you're gonna be excited by the PS5, because they're absolutely gonna deliver more of that and those games will be expertly made for the kind of people who enjoy them. I'm not doubting their quality level, Sony's FP studios are not bad developers. But for someone like me that's completely burned out on that kind of stuff...I don't know.

At the end of the day, I honestly just didn't like this gen very much and I really don't want next gen to be This Gen 2: Electric Boogaloo. Does that make sense?

cinematic games being negative here? can we stop this narrative already? most of PS exclusives have very good gameplay and appeal to the gameplay crowd. that's why i love most of the games.
or are we talking about the insane value in the real time cutscenes which other devs are playing catch?

next gen most surely will be filled with sequels and open worlds. i suggest you go to indie space then.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't. Stop feeding Prime.
Name one video game you truly like.
Oh wait, you can't.

a57.gif

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
The question really comes down to...Microsoft is making a lot of very positive moves for their brand lately. Even someone like me that has no particular interest in the Xbox platform can see that Microsoft seems really devoted to cutting out a bigger chunk of mindshare than they have in a while.

Meanwhile, Sony seems to just be coasting. From what we know of the PS5 thus far, Sony's whole selling argument seems to be "if you liked us this gen, next gen will be exactly that again". Obviously, for the people who are happy with Sony's output in recent months/years that sounds fine, but if you aren't one of those people, you're kinda looking at the PS5 and going "what exactly is this thing going to have that makes it a better choice than the alternative?"

If they can't "win" in terms of price or power, what's the silver bullet?

Just because MS is hyping up and marketing their console a year earlier than Sony doesn't mean Sony is doing it wrong.
Sony is still releasing exclusive after exclusive on their current console (PS4) while MS is trying to turn their Xbox One page as fast as they can. Sony doesn't need to hype their November console release when TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima are still coming and the PS4 just had its best April month of all time. Why would they?

I mean...i don't even have time to breath right now. Still on FFVIIR, i was gonna try and play Persona 5 before TLOU2 but i won't have time, lmao. I'm not gonna be bored until August for sure. And this is exclusives only...not gonna mention 3rd party stuff.

I do agree MS is doing a lot of interesting things lately...but let's face it...where are the 1st party games? What MS has shown so far is 3rd party games i'll play on the PS4/PS5 anyway, some timed console exclusive ones and not a lot of interesting stuff that makes me think "i need their hardware". I have a feeling that after all this waiting, Sony is still going to be the one that will actually show their first party games first and not MS...which will be ironic to say the least.

Meanwhile...possibly in a month, Sony is hitting us with some of their first AAA titles. When that happens, your complains won't make no difference. Hype will be through the roof already. (even to you probably) We just need a Horizon 2 gameplay reveal like the first one and all will be forgotten. We're just hungry for news.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can already see people going mad when they spend time showing Godfall. It will be PS4's Destiny I feel.

"ENOUGH WITH THIS CRAP SHOW US SILENT HILL SONY"

God helps us if they have COD marketing deal again...

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Dear publishers,

please stop teasing, hinting and spreading rumours through influencers and insiders. Just show some true next-gen games.

THX

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I want:
+Demon's Souls remake trailer
+SH snippet
+some cool third party JP game
+how the console looks

That's it. Pipedream would be Spidey 2 or Horizon 2 teaser.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Just because MS is hyping up and marketing their console a year earlier than Sony doesn't mean Sony is doing it wrong.
Sony is still releasing exclusive after exclusive on their current console (PS4) while MS is trying to turn their Xbox One page as fast as they can. Sony doesn't need to hype their November console release when TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima are still coming and the PS4 just had its best April month of all time. Why would they?

I mean...i don't even have time to breath right now. Still on FFVIIR, i was gonna try and play Persona 5 before TLOU2 but i won't have time, lmao. I'm not gonna be bored until August for sure. And this is exclusives only...not gonna mention 3rd party stuff.

I do agree MS is doing a lot of interesting things lately...but let's face it...where are the 1st party games? What MS has shown so far is 3rd party games i'll play on the PS4/PS5 anyway, some timed console exclusive ones and not a lot of interesting stuff that makes me think "i need their hardware". I have a feeling that after all this waiting, Sony is still going to be the one that will actually show their first party games first and not MS...which will be ironic to say the least.

Meanwhile...possibly in a month, Sony is hitting us with some of their first AAA titles. When that happens, your complains won't make no difference. Hype will be through the roof already. (even to you probably) We just need a Horizon 2 gameplay reveal like the first one and all will be forgotten. We're just hungry for news.

Yeah, I've got nothing to play until who knows when. As far as I'm concerned I bought two games so far this year (Nioh 2 and FFVII), and I think the only other one I'm likely to buy for the rest of the year is Deadly Premonition 2. So if Sony doesn't announce something I'm actually interested in within the next couple of weeks, I won't even know the meaning of the word hype as far as next-gen is concerned. 2020 will just be a dead year if all I have to look forward to is AAA western sequels and a Westernized remake of Demon's Souls.

I'm just so tired of the teasing and the rumors and the WINK WINK I KNOW SOMETHING YOU DON'T KNOW nonsense out of the first parties at this point. Just tell me what you have so I can decide whether to support your console or not. I'm bored of having nothing to talk about.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I feel like Series X can go no lower than $499 to justify where their BOM sits and because it's being promoted as the premium option. Whatever technology the DualSense is packing will bridge the gap from what would be $449 to $499, but they'll go with $449 for PS5 anyway to undercut Microsoft.
The dual sense having more features than xsx controller is a good point to consider when discussing pricing. Not everything needs to be spent on apu/gpu/ram. But i feel ps5 will be slightly cheaper. Unless price is announced in advance for one of the two consoles and that allows for some change if there's enough margin to play with

Jade1962

Oct 28, 2017

Your obsession with PSfanboys and "forums" not being fair to Xbox is feeling all too familiar. Like every post of yours revolves around how everyone is really some obsessed PlayStation fan.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
A smart delivery equivalent would make the choice between upgrading my console less one sided.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
The wrinkle there comes in the form of XSS, because if they do end up releasing a budget box its likely so they don't have to price the enthusiast box as aggressively

You kind of proved my point why I and many others figure they will both be the same price. How can you argue in good faith suggesting Sony will show us true next gen and then say Series X is an enthusiast box? I honestly don't think we will see much if any differnce in third party given most are cross-gen anyways.

I think at launch, power is an important variable within reason. 3 years on from then, it's hard to get the ball rolling on that narrative. The problem with the Xbox One launch (among many) was that it was less powerful and more expensive. Series X is going in more powerful this time -- maybe not in a way that will dictate any kind of narrative, but it doesn't seem to be at a disadvantage from that standpoint, so being priced at $50 more than PS5 is not something that will be torn apart and in need of correction.

What will be torn apart is how Series X isn't really having next gen games but hey pay more because we have higher teraflops. This puts a lot of pressure on those third party to show why we need to pay more. That's why I don't think you are debating in good faith. You already admitted you will only be getting a PS5, of course you want Sony to be more price competitive.

I expect them to both be $500.

Most people who are interested in both (or don't care one way or another who sells the most) likely agree as well.

As fast as they can? What a garbage post, they are the only one telling us we don't have to upgrade, you can play the new games on Xbox One. They ahve also released games this year so it's not like they are not supporting Xbox One or turning the page as fast as they can. Trying to have an open and honest dialog isn't going to happen is it? We've seen you in too many other threads knowing that's impossible.

Where are the PS5 1st party games? You just assume Sony will have all these great titles out for the PS5 but we've seen nothing. Microsoft already showed us a tease of what's to come outside of Halo Infinite. Or are you talking about this year with release dates? Gears Tactics, Bleeding Edge, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Grounded, Wasteland 3.

Your obsession with PSfanboys and "forums" not being fair to Xbox is feeling all too familiar. Like every post of yours revolves around how everyone is really some obsessed PlayStation fan.
My obession or yours? No need to answer, you appear to repeat this to anyone who questions Sony or it's fans.

www.resetera.com

EA's upcoming games will let you "upgrade" them to run on next generation consoles for free

I hope everyone doing crossgen doesn’t mean we won’t be getting the first real next gen games until 2023

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If that also gets him to stop spewing negativity all over any PlayStation related thread, I'd happily send Jim Ryan a box of chocolates tbh.

Primethius follows me into damn near any thread I'm in just to shit on me, even though he constantly brags about having me on ignore. I'm not sure why his behavior is alright and mine is problematic by comparison. I'm just unhappy with the direction Sony has been taking the past few years, for fuck's sake.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
You kind of proved my point why I and many others figure they will both be the same price. How can you argue in good faith suggesting Sony will show us true next gen and then say Series X is an enthusiast box? I honestly don't think we will see much if any differnce in third party given most are cross-gen anyways.

I don't follow your first sentence, but as for the rest its pretty obvious by my post that the budget box refers to XSS and enthusiast box refers to XSX. I can call them the Basic and Premium model if you would prefer.

MS could have showed an amazing gameplay trailer that blew everyone's minds and captured that first "next gen" moment, but they didn't and not because they couldn't. Now Sony has the opportunity if they do in fact show their games in June and have a megaton next gen gameplay trailer. I don't see how this is a controversial statement

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I don't follow your first sentence, but as for the rest its pretty obvious by my post that the budget box refers to XSS and enthusiast box refers to XSX. I can call them the Basic and Premium model if you would prefer.

MS could have showed an amazing gameplay trailer that blew everyone's minds and captured that first "next gen" moment, but they didn't and not because they couldn't. Now Sony has the opportunity if they do in fact show their games in June and have a megaton next gen gameplay trailer. I don't see how this is a controversial statement
It's controversal because A) Microsoft said they don't want to be outpriced and that he feels good about the price they will be able to get to. B) We likely won't see any games that go "wow, these games look so much better than they do on PS5."

We saw right away with the resolutiongate at the start of this gen. I don't think we will see that again. Both performances will be very close and likely the same price.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
They both will be $499, I don't see any other scenario. Companies in current economy will look for profit, no one can afford $100 loss on a system sold and billions going with that.
Sony invested in SSD, MS in raw power. Both should be worth the price.

Jade1962

Oct 28, 2017
My obession or yours? No need to answer, you appear to repeat this to anyone who questions Sony or it's fans.

www.resetera.com

EA's upcoming games will let you "upgrade" them to run on next generation consoles for free

I hope everyone doing crossgen doesn’t mean we won’t be getting the first real next gen games until 2023

What am I supposed to be seeing in that link it just goes to a thread, my post agreeing that smart delivery is equivalent to cross-buy or play anywhere? Your deflection doesn't change the content of your posts.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
It's controversal because A) Microsoft said they don't want to be outpriced and that he feels good about the price they will be able to get to. B) We likely won't see any games that go "wow, these games look so much better than they do on PS5."

We saw right away with the resolutiongate at the start of this gen. I don't think we will see that again. Both performances will be very close and likely the same price.

All I'm trying to say here is that its likely that the Xbox Series S (Lockhart) exists so they don't have to try and beat or match Sony on price with their XSX but they can still easily beat Sony on price with the Lockhart.

Also I am only discussing WHO SHOWS IT FIRST, I am not talking about power differentials or resolutiongate or any other comparisons. Just who shows the eye-melting gameplay first.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
If supply is really constrained, how fast do you guys think pre-orders will sell out? This will be my first rodeo buying a console on day one.
They will sell out anyway. Even in shit economy there are people with money. If you want one at launch you need to literally preorder the second they appear since restock could be months away.