• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
New generation. A new trajectory, not one that is on inevitable downward slope, where your trying to limit damage. It's not even a question, MS have much more room to lose money then Sony, as the video discussed. MS are stronger in terms of financial might then they were previously when XBX launched, not to mention Xbox being a core pillar for investment by Satya.

But MS isn't even believing in generations anymore. If you don't have money for their top console you still have Lockhart or any PC out there.

Playstation is probably Sony's biggest deal, while Xbox for MS is kinda...there. Sony have a lot more at stake than MS everytime they release a new console.
I don't get why people still talk about MS as if they have unlimited resources for their Xbox division.

And Sony is also in a much stronger financial position than it was when they released the PS4.

Sony lost $200 for each PS3 they were selling years ago...without having PSN to help recover those lost costs.
Wasn't PSN giving Sony more money than the entire Xbox division to MS a few months ago?

Sony won't have a problem losing a few bucks for a few years if it means they can have a more affordable console, specially in a post covid-19 world.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Sony also want to be competitive, Cerny already mentioned that in the unveilling.. That doesn't mean both have to have the same price, both can be competitive even if they differ in price. What we know so far is that almost every 'important' component on XSX seems to be more expensive than equivalent on PS4: APU/GPU is bigger , RAM is partially faster, SSD(capacity) is bigger. Sony has quite a bit of extra customization which we don't know if it will cost them less equal or more than the difference that the extra 'raw' power elements on XSX may cost over their PS5 equivalents.
And if MS has two SKUs, that equation may even be more complicated, why would you manufacture a 'cheap' console if you plan to 'eat' losses on the more expensive one? (on top of current GP sales that sure aren't cheap either)
I think both will be close to 499, but seems logical that with that in mind, PS5 seems to be the one with lower cost (apparently, unless their customization is expensive, that wouldn't make much sense).
I feel like Series X can go no lower than $499 to justify where their BOM sits and because it's being promoted as the premium option. Whatever technology the DualSense is packing will bridge the gap from what would be $449 to $499, but they'll go with $449 for PS5 anyway to undercut Microsoft.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
No I am not - I don't know what your game is, but you need to stop this bullshit attribution of arguments to people who aren't even making them.

Are you purposely trying to be obtuse? This is what you said earlier,

So they're taking a hit on Game Pass, and they're also going to take a hit on the premium console price (even though console sales don't matter) and they're also going to take a hit on the cheaper console - so they can outdo Sony and sell more consoles? It makes zero sense for them to do that.
Game Pass is where the bulk of the funding is going (and to some extent, the new studios to create content for GP) they'll want cost price at least for both consoles. They've had years to do this, with that supposedly limitless war chest, and yet they keep trying to sell a $500 console.

I never suggested Microsoft sell their system at a lower price than the PS5, not even sure what you are trying to say here. They won't want to be priced higher is what I am saying but it was you who mentioned Microsoft keeps trying to sell a $500 box like that has any relevance. The Xbox One was premium priced, I don't think Microsoft wants to be in that position again.

But MS isn't even believing in generations anymore. If you don't have money for their top console you still have Lockhart or any PC out there.

Playstation is probably Sony's biggest deal, while Xbox for MS is kinda...there. Sony have a lot more at stake than MS everytime they release a new console.
I don't get why people still talk about MS as if they have unlimited resources for their Xbox division.

And Sony is also in a much stronger financial position than it was when they released the PS4.

Sony lost $200 for each PS3 they were selling years ago...without having PSN to help recover those lost costs.
Wasn't PSN giving Sony more money than the entire Xbox division to MS a few months ago?

Sony won't have a problem losing a few bucks for a few years if it means they can have a more affordable console, specially in a post covid-19 world.
I feel like Series X can go no lower than $499 to justify where their BOM sits and because it's being promoted as the premium option. Whatever technology the DualSense is packing will bridge the gap from what would be $449 to $499, but they'll go with $449 for PS5 anyway to undercut Microsoft.

I don't think so. This whole conjecture that Sony made more with the PS4 and systems mean more to Sony than Microsoft therefore they can take losses more than Microsoft is a fallacy. It just all sounds like you want Microsoft to price it higher so that they are once again not as price competitive. Both the PS5 and Series X are going to be modeled as premium consoles.

Last edited:

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This argument has been made each gen. And of course it is going to make sense to those who want to believe it. MS are of course a more profitable company, but that doesn't mean they are willing to operate at a greater loss in any given sector. They haven't shown that propensity in the past nor in their other operations. Perhaps that could change, I doubt it will. I suppose we will see over the course of the year.
Xbox wasn't a core pillar for MS in previous gen's, it has been since Satya promoted Spencer to sit on the same table as the other core businesses. It's highly unlikely Gamepass could've happened previously for instance, they're already using that warchest, as people here put it.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Xbox wasn't a pillar for MS in previous gen's, it has been since Satya promoted Spencer to sit on the same table as the other core businesses. It's highly unlikely Gamepass could've happened if Xbox wasn't a core business, they're already using that warchest, as people here put it.

Gamepass is also available on PC. So yeah Xbox console is obviously a core part of that. I suspect it is more likely that they will offer subscription deals with hardware, than try and operate at a big loss.

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a wash since both companies are really health and have a ton of cash on hand.

But all these reasons don't match Microsft's actions, they are more theoretical and have no basis in reality.
Gamepass. New studios. Smart Delivery. Extensive BC enhancements for free. And Peter Moore corroborated those actions as valid, which carries far more weight then any counter argument by someone here.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Gamepass is also available on PC. So yeah Xbox console is obviously a core part of that. I suspect it is more likely that they will offer subscription deals with hardware, than try and operate at a big loss.
Microsoft has been positioning itself to be much more competitive this round. Why anyone thinks Sony will have the price advantage again is really strange other than those whop want Sony to keep kicking Microsoft's ass.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft has been positioning itself to be much more competitive this round. Why anyone thinks Sony will have the price advantage again is really strange other than those whop want Sony to keep kicking Microsoft's ass.

The question really comes down to...Microsoft is making a lot of very positive moves for their brand lately. Even someone like me that has no particular interest in the Xbox platform can see that Microsoft seems really devoted to cutting out a bigger chunk of mindshare than they have in a while.

Meanwhile, Sony seems to just be coasting. From what we know of the PS5 thus far, Sony's whole selling argument seems to be "if you liked us this gen, next gen will be exactly that again". Obviously, for the people who are happy with Sony's output in recent months/years that sounds fine, but if you aren't one of those people, you're kinda looking at the PS5 and going "what exactly is this thing going to have that makes it a better choice than the alternative?"

If they can't "win" in terms of price or power, what's the silver bullet?

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
The question really comes down to...Microsoft is making a lot of very positive moves for their brand lately. Even someone like me that has no particular interest in the Xbox platform can see that Microsoft seems really devoted to cutting out a bigger chunk of mindshare than they have in a while.

Meanwhile, Sony seems to just be coasting. From what we know of the PS5 thus far, Sony's whole selling argument seems to be "if you liked us this gen, next gen will be exactly that again". Obviously, for the people who are happy with Sony's output in recent months/years that sounds fine, but if you aren't one of those people, you're kinda looking at the PS5 and going "what exactly is this thing going to have that makes it a better choice than the alternative?"

Silver bullet from who?

You comments about Sony coasting (I wouldn't really say coasting as they still have 2 huge titles coming but we will see just how much effort they put into their launch line-up this time) can be attributed to one thing, if it isn't broken why fix it?

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think so. This whole conjecture that Sony made more with the PS4 and systems mean more to Sony than Microsoft therefore they can take losses more than Microsoft is a fallacy. It just all sounds like you want Microsoft to price it higher so that they are once again not as price competitive. Both the PS5 and Series X are going to be modeled as premium consoles.
Huh? That's not necessarily what I want, though it is what historically Sony has done. They don't have a confirmed or rumoured secondary SKU that would make it viable as a premium option. The only thing that indicates that the PS5 is a premium console is in what Cerny said about its SRP being "appealing to gamers in light of its advanced feature set" and that still only indicates that it will be priced a little less modestly than you would normally see from them. Higher than the $399 sweet spot utilised in the past.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017

Games? One of the reasons many prefer Playstation is because you have access to a wide variety of games from all over the world and from all genres. From first party and 3rd party exclusives to all the multiplats.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Huh? That's not necessarily what I want, though it is what historically Sony has done. They don't have any confirmed or rumoured SKUs that would make it viable as a premium option. The only thing that indicates that the PS5 is a premium console is in what Cerny said about it being "appealing to gamers in light of its advanced feature set" and that still only indicates that it will be priced a little less modestly than you would normally see from them. That's higher than the $399 sweet spot utilised in the past.
We can't just keep basing everything on history, we've already seen major changes from Microsoft and we also know the building materials for the PS5 is going to be quite a big higher than it was for the PS4.

Microsoft can tout they have the most powerful console all they want, it kind of failed to grab traction when they did it with the Xbox One X. They know price is what's going to be key this time around.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Silver bullet from who?

You comments about Sony coasting (I wouldn't really say coasting as they still have 2 huge titles coming but we will see just how much effort they put into their launch line-up this time) can be attributed to one thing, if it isn't broken why fix it?

The point I'm getting at is that for people who are on the fence or can only afford one console at a time, what's the thing that's going to push them into buying a PS5 over an XSX? If it's not the most affordable console or the most powerful one, if it has no particular x-factor, what's the primary selling point?

To put it into further perspective, at least in the XSX's case if you're not excited about Microsoft's first party games, you could still technically end up getting better versions of third party games or paying a lower overall price at the initial point of sale. I'm just curious as to what Sony's going to have to draw people's attention if they AREN'T interested in their own particular first-party stable. Because thus far they haven't offered anything in that vein.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Hope this means BioShock 4 will always be shown beside it.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017

Next-gen benefits have been made clear, and then there's the exclusive games. I don't think it's that difficult.

We can't just keep basing everything on history, we've already seen major changes from Microsoft and we also know the building materials for the PS5 is going to be quite a big higher than it was for the PS4.

Microsoft can tout they have the most powerful console all they want, it kind of failed to grab traction when they did it with the Xbox One X. They know price is what's going to be key this time around.
It failed to grab traction with the 1X because power doesn't shift the gears of perception halfway through a generation when your competition has been running the streets for years already in ways that have a bigger impact. What you're implying is that it's impossible that MS will price their console at $499, if Sony is shooting for as close to the mass market price of $399 as possible. I don't think that is the case, but it's also not impossible that PS5 will be $499 to match.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
The point I'm getting at is that for people who are on the fence or can only afford one console at a time, what's the thing that's going to push them into buying a PS5 over an XSX? If it's not the most affordable console or the most powerful one, if it has no particular x-factor, what's the primary selling point?

To put it into further perspective, at least in the XSX's case if you're not excited about Microsoft's first party games, you could still technically end up getting better versions of third party games or paying a lower overall price at the initial point of sale. I'm just curious as to what Sony's going to have to draw people's attention if they AREN'T interested in their own particular first-party stable. Because thus far they haven't offered anything in that vein.

There brand , BC , what ever game deals they make , maybe some OS stuff (have to wait and see)
Sony sold 85million PS3 and they had much less going for them than they ever did now .

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018

You've made a conundrum out of something that has a simple explanation.... Nothing for the PS5 has been announced yet.

Will they be doing sequels to their record breaking first party games this gen? Sure. Will that be all? Nope, every gen new IPs have been the life force of PlayStation. Your concerns are like someone saying "But guys will Nintendo do another Mario? Its like no one asks that!"

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019

Let's be honest here, Microsoft has to work harder than Sony.

Series X is also going to have a few other hurdles, which is convincing people to upgrade other than the enthusiasts who likely went to a Xbox One X from a standard system. Sony is also highly unlikely to have it's PS5 exclusives come out on the PC.

Microsoft also shit the bed with your angle about Series X playing those third party better. First we need to see actual gameplay to compare, no?

Sony's draw is what it's always been, a large library of game support from everyone. That's how they entered the console space, by using third party leverage against Nintendo. Then over the generations they managed to build up some pinnacle studios that its fans can rely on. Outside of racers Microsoft hasn't really done that. Sony also has a brand that is much stronger worldwide.

You can also witness this sense of pride on the forums, almost to the point of arrogance. Sony has managed to create something desireable without even revealing what it looks like, what the price is or what games will be included day one.

It failed to grab traction with the 1X because power doesn't shift the gears of perception halfway through a generation when your competition has been running the streets for years already in ways that have a bigger impact. What you're implying is that it's impossible that MS will price their console at $499, if Sony is shooting for as close to the mass market price of $399 as possible. I don't think that is the case, but it's also not impossible that PS5 will be $499 to match.

You are free to think what you want but Microsoft will not want to have a $100 gap in price again. I'm sure some here would love Microsoft having a higher price again but chances are slim.

Last edited:

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I'm more talking overall. Maybe his fan base is mostly something Sony fans, and that's why it seems he talks about PlayStation more.

It's not an attack, just an observation. Nothing wrong if he is a Sony diehard either.
Probably more there's just more unknowns regarding them and I don't think he likes leaking games anymore, which outside of his work conditions coverage and delays doesn't leave a lot to talk about regarding 3rd parties.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
I for one am ecstatic there won't be a stage presentation any of the platform holders.

I can not bear to suffer through rigid stage presentations and the obnoxious whooping and hollering of the manchildren, paid shills and plants in the front row.
I think you're exaggerating quite a bit. Maybe with the exception of Bethesda last year. I'm bummed there wont be a stage presence. When those are done well, they're far better than any digital event.

Obviously they wont be possible any time soon.

JamRock7

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
FL
I haven't heard anything concrete, or I would report it. Only reason I said anything at all was because I was asked about it on a podcast, but of course now that it's a ResetEra thread every bottom-feeding gaming website will quote me saying this too. I hate this vague rumormongering stuff.
Bro this has happened like 5 times just this year 😭😭 you should know how this works by now

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The silver bullet is games.

The games that are being released right now.

Sony's biggest marketing point for next gen is their current gen output, particularly this year where they have several heavy hitters all coming to PS4, whereas Microsoft has had what... Ori? And will have nothing else major until Halo Infinite, which is being treated as a cross-gen game to push Series X.

Sony has proven they can make great games, they've done so consistently this gen and the tail end of last gen.

It's totally fine if they aren't making the type of games you want, but their output is undeniable.

Microsoft still have a lot to prove when it comes to their first party. And for all the right moves they've made we still have yet to actually see the proof that it's all paid off in high quality killers apps.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Let's be honest here, Microsoft has to work harder than Sony.

Series X is also going to have a few other hurdles, which is convincing people to upgrade other than the enthusiasts who likely went to a Xbox One X from a standard system. Sony is also highly unlikely to have it's PS5 exclusives come out on the PC.

Microsoft also shit the bed with your angle about Series X playing those third party better. First we need to see actual gameplay to compare, no?

Sony's draw is what it's alwys been, a large library of game support from everyone. That's how they entered the console space, by using third party leverage against Nintendo. Then over the generations they managed to build up some pinnacle studios that its fans can rely on. Outside of racers Microsoft hasn't really done that.

This is true, Microsoft definitely has higher to climb. They have to prove themselves and their devotion to actually upkeeping the kind of output they're bragging about having right now, because they have attempted a content flare-up like this in the past and then backed off when things didn't immediately benefit them financially. It's up to Microsoft to sustain the level of effort they're putting in right now vs. using it as a trojan horse to get people to stay subscribed to XBL and then taking their foot off the gas five minutes later.

I don't know though. Maybe it's just my complete disillusionment with Sony as a result of their progressive abandonment of Japanese gaming as a meaningful part of their catalog, but it's been a pretty rough generation overall and it's really, really hard to see next gen being a step back in the right direction. I can't get excited for another generation dominated almost exclusively by Western-developed games like this one, because this generation mostly sucked for me.

I always seem to get depressed rather than excited during generation transitions, but I'm really feeling it this time because of how much of a letdown this generation already was.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
I don't know though. Maybe it's just my complete disillusionment with Sony as a result of their progressive abandonment of Japanese gaming as a meaningful part of their catalog, but it's been a pretty rough generation overall and it's really, really hard to see next gen being a step back in the right direction.

Compared to MS? Not sure I'm following...

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Many people like what Sony has been doing this generation. And they have a killer last big year, to boot. FF7R, TLoU2, and Ghost of Tsushima are some of the best advertisement for PS5 because, as you said "next gen will be exactly that again". They can't satisfy everybody, but they have consistently supported their platforms with games that apparently a ton of people enjoy (based on raw sales).

Like other people said - the "silver bullet" is always "games". It's impossible to break down popularity to one single metric, but if we had to choose one, that would be it. It's the same reason Nintendo is as loved as they are.

MS fumbled this generation hard, which is actually a bad look for their new generation. Even Nintendo supported WiiU with lots of great games that people look back on fondly (Splatoon and Mario Maker in the later years, for example). Had MS had a really strong closing year or two with killer software, that would have helped their cause.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
You are free to think what you want but Microsoft will not want to have a $100 gap in price again. I'm sure some here would love Microsoft having a higher price again but chances are slim.
What I initially suggested was a $50 price gap which may be negligible to some or crucial to others. I don't think MS will bother lowering XSX to $449 if that is the price Sony lands on, just to be more competitive. They may do that, but I don't think they would.

I don't know though. Maybe it's just my complete disillusionment with Sony as a result of their progressive abandonment of Japanese gaming as a meaningful part of their catalog, but it's been a pretty rough generation overall and it's really, really hard to see next gen being a step back in the right direction. I can't get excited for another generation dominated almost exclusively by Western-developed games like this one, because this generation mostly sucked for me.
It seems to me like Sony is pushing for a stronger focus on Japanese gaming with the PS5: both the launch lineup and beyond, which would be ironic given what you're suggesting across your posts.

Oct 31, 2017
Hopefully their gameplay presentation is like the PS4's and nothing like Series X's gameplay reveal of yesterday.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
They have a lot to show:
  • Console
  • OS/UI/Services
  • First party games
  • Third party games
1 hour would not be enough at all. They will have to
- show console, possibly price, date
- more features we don't know

as well as showing the actual 1st/3rd party games. Unless they spread out some of this stuff.

Ideally i'd love for it to be a proper lengthy presentation (1-2 hours), but seeing how Sony has been drip feeding info over wired articles, and such with their PS5 marketing, i'm not so sure we'll get that...

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
What I initially suggested was a $50 price gap which may be negligible to some or crucial to others. I don't think MS will bother lowering XSX to $449 if that is the price Sony lands on, just to be more competitive. They may do that, but I don't think they would.
OK so if Series X is $499 and PS5 is $399 or $449 you will buy both?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Many people like what Sony has been doing this generation. And they have a killer last big year, to boot. FF7R, TLoU2, and Ghost of Tsushima are some of the best advertisement for PS5 because, as you said "next gen will be exactly that again". They can't satisfy everybody, but they have consistently supported their platforms with games that apparently a ton of people enjoy (based on raw sales).

Like other people said - the "silver bullet" is always "games". It's impossible to break down popularity to one single metric, but if we had to choose one, that would be it. It's the same reason Nintendo is as loved as they are.

MS fumbled this generation hard, which is actually a bad look for their new generation. Even Nintendo supported WiiU with lots of great games that people look back on fondly (Splatoon and Mario Maker in the later years, for example). Had MS had a really strong closing year or two with killer software, that would have helped their cause.

Right. Like I said, if you're engaged by Sony's extremely heavy focus on cinematic Western games with high production values over the past few years, of course you're gonna be excited by the PS5, because they're absolutely gonna deliver more of that and those games will be expertly made for the kind of people who enjoy them. I'm not doubting their quality level, Sony's FP studios are not bad developers. But for someone like me that's completely burned out on that kind of stuff...I don't know.

At the end of the day, I honestly just didn't like this gen very much and I really don't want next gen to be This Gen 2: Electric Boogaloo. Does that make sense?

It seems to me like Sony is pushing for a stronger focus on Japanese gaming with the PS5: both the launch lineup and beyond, which would be ironic given what you're suggesting across your posts.

I'll believe it when I see it. Because right now none of the rumors I've seen regarding PS5 software excite me in the slightest, and several of them actively repulse me rather than making me feel optimistic. I honestly want them to just rip the band-aid off so I can know for certain how little they have for me instead of sitting in this horrible rumor limbo forever.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think you're exaggerating quite a bit. Maybe with the exception of Bethesda last year. I'm bummed there wont be a stage presence. When those are done well, they're far better than any digital event.

Obviously they wont be possible any time soon.
Thank goodness.

Sorry, but I've seen enough of these to know exactly how they go.