• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I 100% believe it's happening, just like that Amy Hennig Star Wars game was happening, or just like that EA Vancouver Star Wars game was happening. Just because EA is working on something, and, internally, say it's happening, does not mean that it's a game that will release to the public.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Yeah I'm surprised they haven't retroactively slapped it on Pod Racer, Jedi Knight, Republic Commando, etc.

I imagine it's because they're digital games? On Steam at least they're referred to as 'Classic' Star Wars, if I recall. If the KOTOR remake is a big deal or sold physically I imagine they'd want to pop a special banner on it so people don't get it confused (either with new canon or High Republic).

Of course, maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like very little of KOTOR has been undone by modern canon (considering how old the story is). It's possible they could just make it canon with a few tweaks and not need a special label for it. It's the biggest missing EU thing besides Mara Jade, I imagine it showing up in some form is inevitable.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
SOON
star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-makes-kotors-darth-revan-can_r19r.1200.jpg
Hope they update Malak so he knows how to wear a mask.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
I 100% believe it's happening, just like that Amy Hennig Star Wars game was happening, or just like that EA Vancouver Star Wars game was happening. Just because EA is working on something, and, internally, say it's happening, does not mean that it's a game that will release to the public.

Not an EA project

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely, I was just pointing out that Disney isn't EXCLUSIVLY working with canon material. The closest they've come to creating a new non-canon piece of media is the Lego holiday special. Which is a very special case lol.

Ah gotcha, and Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga looks like it'll be just as loose with the canon.

I imagine it's because they're digital games? On Steam at least they're referred to as 'Classic' Star Wars, if I recall. If the KOTOR remake is a big deal or sold physically I imagine they'd want to pop a special banner on it so people don't get it confused (either with new canon or High Republic).

Of course, maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like very little of KOTOR has been undone by modern canon (considering how old the story is). It's possible they could just make it canon with a few tweaks and not need a special label for it. It's the biggest missing EU thing besides Mara Jade, I imagine it showing up in some form is inevitable.

Just found a list of things they have moved into the new canon. Most of it is as-is, too.

There's also an order of Stormtroopers in the sequels named after Revan

jpg

The one major wrinkle the High Republic definitely adds is that the Outer Rim is harder to navigate than it is in the "present" Star Wars movies, and considering KotoR is like 700 years earlier than that, it'd be tricky to write around.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
never played this back in the day, and it's apparently a huge pain in the ass to run on modern machines

i'm in

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. I can't watch the video at work right now. Who's making it?

he doesn't say it in this video (at least in the twitter cut)

But everything points out for this being an Aspyr Media game, likely their major U$70M dollar project that's been going on for a couple of years (they even hired quite a few devs from BioWare since 2019

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Ah gotcha, and Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga looks like it'll be just as loose with the canon.

Just found a list of things they have moved into the new canon. Most of it is as-is, too.

There's also an order of Stormtroopers in the sequels named after Revan

jpg

The one major wrinkle the High Republic definitely adds is that the Outer Rim is harder to navigate than it is in the "present" Star Wars movies, and considering KotoR is like 700 years earlier than that, it'd be tricky to write around.
KOTOR is like 3700 years before that, they set it way way way behind in the timeline. There's 300 years between KOTOR 2 and SWTOR. When they called it the Old Republic, they really meant old

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
KOTOR is like 3700 years before that, they set it way way way behind in the timeline. There's 300 years between KOTOR 2 and SWTOR.

All this time I've been assuming it was 1000 years, not 4000, jeez I really want that retconned because that's one stagnant society haha

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
I've replayed KOTOR a couple of months ago and still enjoy it quite a bit, it's a great game still, but it's not the most compatible thing with current PCs and it's very dated in many regards, so a remake sounds good.

still I would be surprised with such a project considering it's "legends" and disney wants very little to do with that these days...

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I think Disney is a stickler for canon now so I still doubt a 1:1 remake would happen, unless it's very barebones like the Aspyr stuff.

A "new" KotoR with lots of the same characters though is probably on the board. And to be honest I'd prefer that.

They have been hiring BioWare devs for quite some time snd it's a $70 million budgeted title.

Nowhere near "bare bones".

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
All this time I've been assuming it was 1000 years, not 4000, jeez I really want that retconned because that's one stagnant society haha
Honestly having it so far back tends to give them more freedom as then it doesn't matter if it has big dramatic events that aren't referenced in the original trilogy or the high republic stuff Disney is currently making because they can just say it's been so long people forgot or don't remember as well. So it doesn't matter that people forgot that their ancient civilizations that had technologies capable of making fleets capable of taking down the republic in months or that an Empire was able to hide put in space foe a thousand years and come back, or that there were Sith capable of absorbing whole planets of people. If it was placed closer to the timeline, I don't know if they could do as many big bomabastic things like that all of which are in KOTOR or SWTOR.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
So I guess Revan is going to be a definitive character not just an ambiguous character.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
4000 years is fine, they just need to take notes from the Tales of the Jedi comic series on how to make things actually look decidedly "ancient".
I just assume there's just so much conflict and problems that the galaxy goes through a dark age in the intervening years which is why the more recent timeline doesn't really have much know how about the events that happened in that period and the technology isn't that far advanced.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
HR is over 3000 years after KotOR

That said, what I would say does add a little bit of incompatibility with the introduction of the new canon (namely HR) to old KotOR is that HR has the Jedi being functionally different from what it was in the prequels, while KotOR jedi were just the same jedi as the prequels. That isn't anything that would be difficult to work around, granted.

That said, HR already providing a much different look at the jedi and the republic at large does give them room to reboot the KotOR era to look muuuuuch more different than it used to. It'd be lame if we went back to KotOR just being prequel era Star Wars with minor differences.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
HR is over 3000 years after KotOR

That said, what I would say does add a little bit of incompatibility with the introduction of the new canon (namely HR) to old KotOR is that HR has the Jedi being functionally different from what it was in the prequels, while KotOR jedi were just the same jedi as the prequels. That isn't anything that would be difficult to work around, granted.

That said, HR already providing a much different look at the jedi and the republic at large does give them room to reboot the KotOR era to look muuuuuch more different than it used to. It'd be lame if we went back to KotOR just being prequel era Star Wars with minor differences.
I've not read the new High Republic books but how are the jedi in it so different to the Prequel era Jedi? Actually how are the Old Republic Era ones the same as the Prequel ones in your opinion?

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I've not read the new High Republic books but how are the jedi in it so different to the Prequel era Jedi? Actually how are the Old Republic Era ones the same as the Prequel ones in your opinion?
HR Jedi are much more proactive in how they move around and take part in galactic events. They are explicitly written to specifically be akin to the Texas Rangers in a way to call out how they are different. While they don't cause trouble, they go looking for trouble to actively fix things. It's why they are much more involved in the creation of the Starlight Beacon in peace time as a space station to help the Republic explore and establish itself throughout the Outer Rim. They are also much more flexible in their philosophy, acknowledging multiple routes through understanding and interacting with the force.

Prequel and KotOR Jedi are more passive, getting involved generally more as a reaction to things already happening, and are much more philosophically rigid.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
My most wanted game, to be honest. Just want details on who is making it, what it is and generally when we'll get it. About 10 hours into a KOTOR replay and just wondering if I'm better not burning myself out with it. Depends if it's one year away or three years away.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
This is easily one of my most anticipated games on horizon. Been itching for a replay but I want to save it for the remake. Curious to see what kind of "remake" this really is? The $70 mill Aspyr budget is definitely encouraging.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
HR Jedi are much more proactive in how they move around and take part in galactic events. They are explicitly written to specifically be akin to the Texas Rangers in a way to call out how they are different. While they don't cause trouble, they go looking for trouble to actively fix things. It's why they are much more involved in the creation of the Starlight Beacon in peace time as a space station to help the Republic explore and establish itself throughout the Outer Rim. They are also much more flexible in their philosophy, acknowledging multiple routes through understanding and interacting with the force.

Prequel and KotOR Jedi are more passive, getting involved generally more as a reaction to things already happening, and are much more philosophically rigid.
The decision of the Jedi for KOTOR to not get involved in the mandalorian wars was because they thought that the someone was manipulating to cause the war and they didn't want to be drawn in, which in the end didn't work cause a number of Jedi ignored the council, got drawn in, were changed by the horrors of war and then were then able to be manipulated to start another war by the same person who initiated the Mandalorian war. Less philosopically rigid and more trying to stop future events even if in the end it didn't work - ironically the Jedi in KOTOR were right in what would happen if Jedi joined the war and what was going on , even if they constantly get criticised for it. I've always thought it was the opposite of the prequel era Jedi who despite knowing the war is being manipulated by dark forces still get drawn into the war even though the reasons for it are pretty shoddy that don't really hold up much to their belief system (it's essentially a system of planets that democratically no longer want to be part of the Republic because they think its corrupt , the Jedi are meant to be for democracy, the Republic they go for just cus it's the biggest system of democracy in the galaxy, they shouldn't if they were being philosophically rigid have a problem with the separatists) and the whole breading real people just to have them fight thing... and unlike the KOTOR era Jedi, despite it being against their beliefs and they are pretty sure there's a scheme still get drawn in basically cus they have a history of serving the Republic. I don't actually know if the Prequel era Jedi are philosophically rigid, alot of their actions don't have much to do with morals or philosopy but more that they have always supported the Republic so feel they must continue to do so which isn't reallly a philosophy or morals but basically just inertia. The Jedi have got to the point were they don't really have much moral convictions tbh, at least not ones they aren't willing to sway if the Republic tells them to.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My most wanted game, to be honest. Just want details on who is making it, what it is and generally when we'll get it. About 10 hours into a KOTOR replay and just wondering if I'm better not burning myself out with it. Depends if it's one year away or three years away.
it seems Aspyr is making the game, which is a big step up from the remakes they've been doing. they were hiring a lot of Bioware staff for some big game, and this might be it

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I'm psyched

Always wanted to check out KoToR, but I found the gameplay incredibly dissatisfying each time I tried it.

I'm curious to know how it changes

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Finally beat the game last fall and had a great time with it. I hope they keep the combat the same but I know I'm gonna be disappointed in that regard.