• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I think Disney is a stickler for canon now so I still doubt a 1:1 remake would happen, unless it's very barebones like the Aspyr stuff.

A "new" KotoR with lots of the same characters though is probably on the board. And to be honest I'd prefer that.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
Nice. Wasnt there some news a while back about a KOTOR sequel also being in development, or was that refering to this project?

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I think Disney is a stickler for canon now so I still doubt a 1:1 remake would happen, unless it's very barebones like the Aspyr stuff.

A "new" KotoR with lots of the same characters though is probably on the board. And to be honest I'd prefer that.

Hasn't stopped Aspyr from remastering a bunch of other Star Wars games. In fact Lucas Film games seems to be embracing their legacy titles a whole lot more lately as evidenced by all their re-releases with Limited Run.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Hasn't stopped Aspyr from remastering a bunch of other Star Wars games. In fact Lucas Film games seems to be embracing their legacy titles a whole lot more lately as evidenced by all their re-releases with Limited Run.

Yeah I edited in a bit about Aspyr's stuff. I just think that'd be called a remaster or "KotoR HD" and not be mistakeable for a remake.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018

IMO the way to go is to remaster the original 2 games for modern consoles so people have access to the experiences they already enjoy, that way when they announce their more ambitious remake people can just stick to the originals if they don't like the changes

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SOON
star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-makes-kotors-darth-revan-can_r19r.1200.jpg

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I've traded playing it so many times but it's so damn old i just can't mess with it. So a remake, reboot, whatever. I'm cool with either or i don't know the story or the spoilers

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017

How much of KOTOR wouldn't fit in with the current canon? I know Dinsey cut everything not in a film or TV show, but given how far in the past it was set, what have they done recently that would conflict with what we got in KOTOR?

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017

Disney released non-cannon Star Wars tv shows on Disney Plus earlier this month. Not to mention that I imagine that Aspyr needs Lucasfilm/Disney permissions to release the old games (Which are obviously not cannon)

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018

They could just start using 'The Vintage Collection' for games too if they're part of Legends. It seems weird they'd make that whole thing for Disney+ if they were only ever going to use it for a small group of things.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
As someone who ran into a game-breaking bug 10 hours in and never managed to get back into it over the years.,... this is actually pretty exciting

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Whatever this is, I'm in.

I also wonder if Xbox global publishing is involved with this. There have been a lot of rumors swirling there recently.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL

Everything as far as movies and games from Star Wars has been going forward with new story and content.

I think there will definitely be a KOTOR video game but it will be original and standalone compared to the story and ideas in the early to mid 2000s KOTOR titles.

My personal hunch is that it goes through some of the newly established high republic era !

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

JoshuaJSlone

Dec 27, 2017
Indiana
Hopefully it's a bit more than just a remake. I'd love it if they rebooted it a bit to fit into the new canon.
I think that's the idea. More of a GoldenEye N64 -> GoldenEye Wii situation.
How much of KOTOR wouldn't fit in with the current canon? I know Dinsey cut everything not in a film or TV show, but given how far in the past it was set, what have they done recently that would conflict with what we got in KOTOR?
Even if it doesn't conflict with "present day" stuff, it still comes down to what version of history they want to set in stone.
Disney released non-cannon Star Wars tv shows on Disney Plus earlier this month. Not to mention that I imagine that Aspyr needs Lucasfilm/Disney permissions to release the old games (Which are obviously not cannon)
There's a difference between releasing old non-canon stuff and remaking The Ewok Adventure still as a non-canon tihng.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

For a lightly updated re-release, sure, they're happy to do it.

But a remake would be a multi-million dollar project and I imagine they'd want to slot something that high profile into their future plans, especially when they already have a cross-media prequel on-going with The High Republic.

They could just start using 'The Vintage Collection' for games too if they're part of Legends. It seems weird they'd make that whole thing for Disney+ if they were only ever going to use it for a small group of things.

Yeah I'm surprised they haven't retroactively slapped it on Pod Racer, Jedi Knight, Republic Commando, etc.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
2002 era clone wars, Caravan of Courage, Ewoks, Ewoks Battle for Endor, Faithful Wookie. Also the Lego shorts have been on for a while. Obviously, these are all old re-releases... but the Lego holiday special was a new original non cannon release last winter.
www.starwars.com

The Star Wars Vintage Collection Has Arrived on Disney+!

Fan favorites like Genndy Tartakovsky’s Clone Wars 2D Micro-Series and more are now streaming.

The original Clone Wars Cartoon, the Ewok movies, the Ewok cartoon, and the short from the Holiday Special that featured the first appearance of Boba Fett. The old Droids cartoon is also coming later in the year.
Damn, I didn't know the old Clone Wars was up.

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
There's a difference between releasing old non-canon stuff and remaking The Ewok Adventure still as a non-canon tihng.

For a lightly updated re-release, sure, they're happy to do it.

But a remake would be a multi-million dollar project and I imagine they'd want to slot something that high profile into their future plans, especially when they already have a cross-media prequel on-going with The High Republic.

Definitely, I was just pointing out that Disney isn't EXCLUSIVLY working with canon material. The closest they've come to creating a new non-canon piece of media is the Lego holiday special. Which is a very special case lol.