• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
Did anyone listen to the podcast? A lot of the discussion is centered on Sony flubbing the message and not showing off what makes the machine interesting, that it's superior to just a bunch of specs on paper. Something devs were texting Jason Schreier about during/after the show.

OP is missing a lot of context for that quote.

Since you can't jump in that podcast I didn't listen to it but thank you for the information.

Missing context was my assumption anyway.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
The SSD's speed and 100-fold improvement in in-game asset streaming are actual measurable quantities. Same with the rasterisation and other benefits (per core) of the 2,230 GHz frequency over the 1825 GHz one. These are not vague quantities or at least they are as vague as a TF number.

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
Maybe, anything is possible. But if you look at the same kind of thing in the PC space, the GPU with the higher CU count always beats the one with the lower CU count. Not a contest. Doesn't mean it couldn't be different here, but these days consoles are essentially small-form-factor PCs so.... I'm going to be really surprised if the PS5 can keep up with the Xbox.

Oh I know why people come to these conclusions and I am on the fence myself. I'm just trying to keep an open mind. It's very possible that Cerny approach is further away from the conventional small form factor pc so it makes it harder to compare. His talk about what he did to the AMD GPU cores to make the tempest engine kinda gives me hope that this is the case and things are more custom then the previous gen. The entire sad configuration also makes the pc comparison even further away if you ask me. Granted I dont really know what I am talking about lol.

Sleepwalker

Oct 29, 2017
Lol at anyone insinuating that Schreier is some Sony shill. Jesus, Sony hasn't even unveiled the console properly and we've already got some full on meltdowns, people really need to cool off from this console war BS. This isn't Gamefaqs.

Mar 23, 2018
Oh boi, this is my first next-gen console war and it's truly a sight of what it does to some people.

Personally, last night my feeling was that Xbox had the clear advantage, but now I'm waiting for the first official next-gen only footage before drawing my own conclusion* (AKA, the coward take LMAO). I must say though that from the point of view of someone as uneducated as myself when it comes to the possibilities of the SSDs when it comes to the worlds and its influence on performance, the Xbox is looking like the better machine. I'm no dev or tech journo/enthusiast. This is the feeling I'm getting and that, by the looks of it, most of the people are getting, "secret sauces" - as they say - still to be seen. And also that one console could very well be fairly more expensive than the other one... or the other one being fairly cheaper... or not... whatever. Still too much for a gaming console, IMO.

Lastly, I've been seeing many posts already about how "Sony's going to show GOW, Horizon, Uncharted, Gran Turismo etc and that's it". Heck, I believe Microsoft even signed up several of the people that made those Sony games in the first place. It seems to me like an idiotic console war argument that makes it seem like if Xbox dedicated themselves to making popcorn LMAO I didn't want to get into Off-topic, but I've seen this kind of post several times now. Sony is clearly going in with an advantage for the upcoming generation based on the reception of the current one and stupid decisions from MS like making Live required for playing F2P online games... or at least that's my understanding, as I don't own an Xbox. That's the kind of shitty practices they should get rid off.

*With all due respect, the Epic Games title showed at TGA is not an indication of next-gen games... or so I'd hope...

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does it even matter? The consoles look like a wash in terms of specs, even more so than current gen. Most people here don't even understand what they're looking at when it comes to these specs.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Will you be on the right side of history this time?

Which is the right side though? Are we talking about power? Sales? What? Last gen was easy to figure out, one was more powerful, cheaper and had better first party production. Microsoft is more powerful this time obviously, price will be either the same or close and first party I still give to Sony (Based on prior games) since we really haven't seen anything from Microsoft new acquisitions yet.

Premium

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NC
The prediction thread was full of these types of comments .. a twitter post here ... dev said there. .. with the ps5 coming up to insane numbers. None turned out to be true.

And after the XSX spec reveal, a large portion of contributors in those threads claimed Github was FOS, that Sony would never settle for less than 12TFs and be beaten in power.

Post PS5 spec release, TFs don't indicate performance and can actually be completely dismissed due to SSD I/O speeds. It's like we're suddenly going to re-invent hardware development across all devices due to an SSD application methodology. Are we sure we even need GPUs anymore? Will we just start loading assets directly from the SSD into the game? Apparently so.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Even if this happens to be true, it feels (and IS) damage control after the "reveal" debable.

The 2013 comparisons are spot on.
This new narrative that this is 2013 reversed is one of the funniest i've seen in this forum which says a lot.
Base Xbox One is one of the worst hardware ever created because MS wanted to sell TV Show based games , Kinect and was interested in NFL or NBA deals.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Superior except for in CPU and GPU which have always been the most important factors in the tech specs of a machine, but all the sudden aren't. Sony's studios will always make use of this hardware and make amazing games, but everything else will look and perform better on XSX even if the load times are a few seconds longer. I'll eat crows if that isn't true.

Console wars really are terrible.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Lol at anyone insinuating that Schreier is some Sony shill. Jesus, Sony hasn't even unveiled the console properly and we've already got some full on meltdowns, people really need to cool off from this console war BS. This isn't Gamefaqs.

Nah, it can be worse than Gamefaqs at times, I mean at least Gamefaqs has faqs.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Wasn't this exactly what a lot of other developers have been saying?

Both consoles are going to perform beyond every expectation. Let's see the actual games.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
Listening to the podcast right now, he's not saying it's a superior console to the Series X in graphical ability, but that it's a very powerful machine that does a lot of really cool things that aren't being communicated well and that's the scuttlebutt he gets from developers.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
You guys REALLY need to stop taking one anecdote said in a podcast and make a huge thread about it.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

He literally released a take down of the crunch and management practices of Sony's prestige first party studio less than a week ago and now he's a Sony shill. People are stupid.

chowyunfatt

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well every console ever has better 'parts' than others but at the end of the day 99% of multiplats will come down to better framerate and resolution vs faster load times. That's it.. There is no way to sugarcoat it.

Only Sony will create games around the SSD and IO advantage.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
The IO is superior and that's clear from the spec sheet as well. Teraflops differences aren't overwhelmingly huge and the real show-cases will be more of a deciding factor. Xbox games will be cross-gen on the first party side, the best this gen seems to offer on xbox is Gears and its aestetics don't interest me.
A next gen spider man or Horizon will look amazing and rumours of securing Konami IPs for first party treatment speak more to what i like to see. Making good games will be possible on either console and third parties who will be multiplat will maybe differ in loading time, which from what i gather will be faster to non-existent on PS5. We'll see the side-by side of those games eventually.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Both seem quite good and close enough that I'm happy with the PS5 except for their apparent backward compatibility situation which may make me wait on it.

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
...More superior piece of hardware in many different ways.
Ya. Like...literally every single console has things that are faster, bigger, stronger than something else.
Even on the fact sheet they had higher numbers on some things.
Uhg this is what the console wars bring us down to.
Yeah, it feels like 2006 all over again.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
Could you provide a source for this? Both have a dedicated audio hardware block.

They both use their own software. It's literally impossible to say which software does a better job today, although XSX at least is confirmed to support multiple ones already. Sony maybe doesn't want to pay the licensing fees so they are creating their own spatial audio solution.

news.xbox.com

Defining the Next Generation: An Xbox Series X|S Technology Glossary - Xbox Wire

[Editor’s Note: Updated on 10/21 at 11AM to ensure it is now reflective of the capabilities across both of our next-gen Xbox consoles following the unveil of Xbox Series S.] As we enter a new generation of console gaming with Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S, we’ve made a number of technology...

Just going with assumption how much Sony and Devs themself are praising PS5 audio.

And like i said it remains to be seen how big difference is.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Listening to the podcast right now, he's not saying it's a superior console to the Series X in graphical ability, but that it's a very powerful machine that does a lot of really cool things that aren't being communicated well and that's the scuttlebutt he gets from developers.
Wow, actual context! Who would've thought?

SoSchwifty

Jan 3, 2020
Your opinion is that the journalist that has recently been in the news for exposing crunch at Sony's flagship studio... is a massive fanboy who wants to manipulate people into believing the PS5 is better than it actually is?
That is a possibility. Journalists can be fanboys as well. I can def point to some Xbox ones.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
No it's not because Sony hasn't yet revealed its messaging or games or even price. If they do and fuck it up then then you could say it's a reversal until then it's only just wishful thinking from you.

There is a reason why people say words like "feels". No one is confirming such information. It is not wishful thinking from me. I am telling you with facts. Sony messaging with PS5 has been GARBAGE! Can that change? Maybe? When that (if) does then we can further this conversation.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
The idea of someone being motivated by accuracy rather than allegiance is an extremely foreign concept in the year 2020, so I understand why so many people cannot help but apply a conspiratorial lens to everything happening right now.

I trust Jason's motives. That doesn't mean I am concluding based on his statements/relayed statements that what he is saying is definitely true - I want a lot more information, I'm sure eventually we'll get it. But I'm not ruling his statements false on the basis of some speculative bullshit, either.

yeah Jason is not a console warrior. His information might incorrect but I don't think he has any reason to push a false narrative. I don't mind people questioning the conclusion of Jason's sources, but people questioning Jason himself need to gtfo

Oct 26, 2017

Shhhh, don't say that, better cherry pick one line and make a sensational thread title for clicks.

Deleted member 64517

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 14, 2020
The IO is superior and that's clear from the spec sheet as well. Teraflops differences aren't overwhelmingly huge and the real show-cases will be more of a deciding factor. Xbox games will be cross-gen on the first party side, the best this gen seems to offer on xbox is Gears and its aestetics don't interest me.
A next gen spider man or Horizon will look amazing and rumours of securing Konami IPs for first party treatment speak more to what i like to see. Making good games will be possible on either console and third parties who will be multiplat will maybe differ in loading time, which from what i gather will be faster to non-existent on PS5. We'll see the side-by side of those games eventually.
Xbox games will only be cross gen for the first year or two.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
That is a possibility. Journalists can be fanboys as well. I can def point to some Xbox ones.

That's not my point - of course journalists can be biased. The point is that if Jason was a massive Sony fanboy he'd probably not be exposing damaging information about Sony's most important development studio.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Yep, people here should be more responsible when they make threads. But it's infuriating how many posters I've seen here take my words out of context and make false claims about what I've said. Anyone who actually listens to our show or reads what I've written on Kotaku, Twitter, and here can see a very consistent pattern. For example: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ne...r-see-staff-post.159131/page-92#post-27509992
Thanks for the link; I'm super curious to hear and see more over time for sure. Buying both machines so I like that they are pretty close, have mixed feelings about their uniqueness as I worry about how 3rd party devs will handle that.

I also think it might be early for devs to declare much either way; I would add an "in my experience so far" to any statement about performance considering how drivers / SDKs are likely in beta still.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Woke up and see the console warring hasn't really begun to die down yet. A lot of embarrassing comments in this thread and I'm sure many more to come. The people questioning Jasons credibility are the worst just because he's passing along info that may clash in some way, shape or form with their warrior mentality.

Just kick back, relax and wait to see what both consoles are actually capable of and what games they'll have. That's the most important thing here.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
This is one of the wildest threads that I've seen in a long time — and not in a good way.

Status
Not open for further replies.