• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
His narrative has quite clearly been that PS5 is the best thing in ages, then he said it doesn't need TF to be good, and yesterday he went into PS5 is maybe better but gamers just can't see it yet. He's pretty obvious in trying to maintain he was correct that PS5 is exciting off the record since we are all confused about him hyping it up and seeing that it's not that superb. Only when he saw people pissed at how underwhelming the specs were, did he try to cover himself and suggest that the specs are a distraction and he was right about how special PS5 would be - despite many in the industry clearly still saying PS5 just isn't that exciting.

Your opinion is that the journalist that has recently been in the news for exposing crunch at Sony's flagship studio... is a massive fanboy who wants to manipulate people into believing the PS5 is better than it actually is?

nizerifin

Jun 9, 2018
Why do people care so much about this?

Are people going to care when God of War 2 is released? No. Spider-man 2? No.

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
Sonys message has been super confusing, and even nonexistent. MS has been Crystal clear with everything Series X.
Sony was clear with PS4, while no one knew what Xbox was back in 2013.

It IS a reversal of 2013.
No it's not because Sony hasn't yet revealed its messaging or games or even price. If they do and fuck it up then then you could say it's a reversal until then it's only just wishful thinking from you.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Classic ResetEra is nine entire pages of people reacting to an article title and single transcribed line from a podcast that not a single poster actually listened to.
Facts.
Didn't know we hit below Gamefaqs level on the gaming side until that GDC thread. Big yikes, era gaming side has gone straight down the shitter.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
If the the threshold I/O speed needed to offer innovative/forward thinking designs is Y, then your statement is only true if XsX < Y < PS5. If instead it's Y < XsX < PS5, then it's meaningless beyond loading times. But because we don't know the I/O bandwidth needed to facilitate new experience Z, all these arguments are meaningless.
This very true as well. Goddamn this next gen is gonna be exciting, regardless of the outcome!

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

This is gonna be a fun year.

(Both consoles seem pretty great in their own different ways, going by what we know at the moment)

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
Era has been so incredibly hostile since last night, it's actually nauseating to venture into any thread without dick-measuring contest. Any criticism of either console is being taken so personally. Also, I'm pretty sure this quote is plucked out of context like with many of these threads.

Really now? Having a slightly less powerful console is nowhere near the mess that MS was in 2013 when they had the considerably less powerful, more expensive, tv-focused and 24-hour authentication bullshit.

Ignore them, they are just really really desperate for that narrative to become true.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
Cerny certainly made a case for why lower cus could be more efficient if handle properly. The talk of them being easier to fill and the higher gpu clock benefits. Not sure if he is full of it but maybe it's legit and a really well designed piece of hardware.
Maybe, anything is possible. But if you look at the same kind of thing in the PC space, the GPU with the higher CU count always beats the one with the lower CU count. Not a contest. Doesn't mean it couldn't be different here, but these days consoles are essentially small-form-factor PCs so.... I'm going to be really surprised if the PS5 can keep up with the Xbox.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Meh, Show me the games which you the difference. At the moment difference is vastly in Xbox SX favor. Also even with 36 CU BC is not confirmed for all titles and no BC for the legacy platform.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
The prediction thread was full of these types of comments .. a twitter post here ... dev said there. .. with the ps5 coming up to insane numbers. None turned out to be true.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Literally has several tweets in the last two days offering his opinion on TF, the spec reveal, how that's all been interpreted by the public. He inserts opinions often into his timeline.

His opinion on how the general gaming public (like here) interprets Teraflops doesn't mean he's defending the PS5. Hell he was pretty vocal immediately after the reveal yesterday about how he thought that was a poor overall showing on Sony's part. But I guess that's all part of the "damage control" right? These assertions are honestly pathetic and say more about your agenda than his.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Classic ResetEra is nine entire pages of people reacting to an article title and single transcribed line from a podcast that not a single poster actually listened to.
Classic "every forum ever" that if someone links to media that is 1 hour and 20 minutes long the thread will largely be about what quote they pulled from it.

If you want to provide more context that would be great; maybe there's a way to link to the full context and people can listen? Otherwise it's not exactly surprising, or "Resetera" for people not to have digested an hour+ long podcast before commenting.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I can't buy a PS5 until i know it has more than 800GB that won't last even with the compatibility its gonna be hella expensive in the coronavirus era 😞

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Sony first party will really show off what the system can do. I think it will be fine once Sony shows off games.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Because reasons....On paper Xbox is clearly the stronger machine, at the end of the day it comes down to games but the news that PS5 will not be superior in every category like the PS4 was to XB1 hit link a bomb to some people.
Why will it hit like a bomb? X1X has been out for a while

On the other hand, some people can't handle that the gap between the two is the smallest it's been in like forever with some things PS5 does much, much better and some people can't seem to handle it.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I must have missed the XB1 having a 2x advantage in hard disk speeds and PS4's GPU only having around a 15% advantage instead of 40%.

What a completely disingenuous apples to oranges comparison to make it seem like people suddenly don't care about specs to fit your narrative...

I honestly would not bother.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone listen to the podcast? A lot of the discussion is centered on Sony flubbing the message and not showing off what makes the machine interesting, that it's superior to just a bunch of specs on paper. Something devs were texting Jason Schreier about during/after the show.

OP is missing a lot of context for that quote.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
People need thicker skin if you find console power conversations 'insufferable'. It's always been like this yet people keep coming to these threads to complain. Just some friendly advice.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Outside of the SSD, I'm not sure how you can say that. I also think we are fully realizing what Series X SSD is capable of because of their Velocity Architecture.

Awesom-O_4000

Oct 28, 2017
Can we stop this petty shit ? It's right there in the OP the guy was saying it because actual Devs said so and those Devs may prefer more ssd speeds for their games. End of story.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jason has delivered plenty of bad Sony news before lol. He doesn't care which is more powerful.

Dark_Emil

Apr 5, 2018
Even if this happens to be true, it feels (and IS) damage control after the "reveal" debable.

The 2013 comparisons are spot on.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Circling the wagons for Sony

They have brand recognition they will probably have the cheaper console
It doesn't need defenders like it was struck a mortal blow. It will be just fine.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Classic "every forum ever" that if you link to media that is 1 hour and 20 minutes long the thread will largely be about what quote you pulled from it.

If you want to provide more context that would be great; maybe there's a way to link to the full context and people can listen? Otherwise it's not exactly surprising, or "Resetera" for people not to have digested an hour+ long podcast before commenting.
Yep, people here should be more responsible when they make threads. But it's infuriating how many posters I've seen here take my words out of context and make false claims about what I've said. Anyone who actually listens to our show or reads what I've written on Kotaku, Twitter, and here can see a very consistent pattern. For example: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ne...r-see-staff-post.159131/page-92#post-27509992

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Not if
Maybe, anything is possible. But if you look at the same kind of thing in the PC space, the GPU with the higher CU count always beats the one with the lower CU count. Not a contest. Doesn't mean it couldn't be different here, but these days consoles are essentially small-form-factor PCs so.... I'm going to be really surprised if the PS5 can keep up with the Xbox.

Not when the small gpu is clocked higher.
If I had two similar gpu's but one was 36cu and clocked at 2.2 ghz it would be more powerful then the 52cu gpu clocked at 1500
Just for example

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
he's been passing along information he's heard from sources. I don't think he's ever given his own opinion on how great Ps5 is or isn't. That's a pretty important distinction that your narrative seems to miss. He's a reporter. Reporting things he's heard doesn't mean he agrees with them. That's not how it works.

I think Jason is just passing along what he hears and people attacking his credibility are off base. That being said, assuming his sources are devs, being a dev does not relieve one of having bias. If I were a dev working on both platforms I'm not sure my first reaction after the reveals would be reaching out to a reporter I know to say how the specs aren't everything and one console is more powerful than we think. People's perception of one console vs the other would have no impact on my work at all.

I guess the credibility IMO depends on if Jason reached out to these sources for an impression or if they reached out to him.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone listen to the podcast? A lot of the discussion is centered on Sony flubbing the message and not showing off what makes the machine interesting, that it's superior to just a bunch of specs on paper. Something devs were texting Jason Schreier about during/after the show.

OP is missing a lot of context for that quote.
Yeah, seriously, shame on you for doing this, OP.

Oct 27, 2017

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
It definitely does feel like a lot of people here have been waiting 7 years for their clap back on Sony...and now's their chance! LMAO

Status
Not open for further replies.