• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Yeah, I don't buy it. wasn't he the same person who said MS was running behind schedule with regards to XSX. They've revealed the specs and even showed the hardware now and now the downplay starts? everyone can see the specs. Who are these devs he is talking to? 3P or 1P? do these devs have XSX dev kits?

I don't think you understand how journalism works.

argam

Feb 1, 2020
Both look like great machines.
With that said, expecting any multiplat game to look better on PS5 than on XsX is exactly the same as expecting that a XO game looked better than a PS4 one in the last few years.
Of course the differences are going to be small and hard to appreciate (diminishing returns and such) but they will be there. I have no problem with that, since I have a PS4 and knowing that games look better in PS4pro and XOX I don't give a tiny rat's ass :D

EBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I think we can all agree that Xbox is more obviously powerful while Sony's machine is the more innovative/forward thinking in terms of game design correct?

I look at it this way. We could push the Tflops up to 20 for all machines out on the market and the difference in game design wouldnt chance much. But if every machine capable of playing high end games has an SSD like PS5's, then games design changes fundamentally.

Its basically graphics vs game design.

If the the threshold I/O speed needed to offer innovative/forward thinking designs is Y, then your statement is only true if XsX < Y < PS5. If instead it's Y < XsX < PS5, then it's meaningless beyond loading times. But because we don't know the I/O bandwidth needed to facilitate new experience Z, all these arguments are meaningless.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Maybes he's right maybe he's wrong, I do wish he didn't say it though at least without an article to explain, he threw gas on an unnecessary fire. Jason is very well respected and has been for years though so if he said it he heard it this isn't him being a fanboy. We'll see what happens.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
It is a big game changer, but both consoles have SSD. I'm sure PS5's SSD is faster, but i honestly don't think it will be a game changer compared to Series X, no.

I wasn't comparing the two, although you really don't need me to tell you that a 2x faster SSD is going to be a differentiator for any developer that takes advantage of it.

Oct 27, 2017
This does come off as blast processing like. No doubt the tech and the PS5 will overall be great but um, to disregard everything previously known about computing and building a computer and to place an SSD on this pedestal when the Xbox version is also above average. Real world applications will lead to maybe assets being moved 1-3 seconds quicker than the Series X. It doesn't seem like much to tout. Now, if the Xbox had an HDD and the PS5, an SSD, then yeah. Both are blazing fast. One just more so than the other.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone actually listen to the thing: The people I have talked to who have worked on the playstation have said this............

Seriously go listen to it time stamped 43 mins

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Classic ResetEra is nine entire pages of people reacting to an article title and single transcribed line from a podcast that not a single poster actually listened to.

Darkkahn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see Sony has finally managed to buy Schreier!
On a serious note, can't wait to see how the PS5 performs in 3rd party titles.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe we have people in here questioning Jason's Scheirer's credibility. Now I've seen everything. Smfh

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
His narrative has quite clearly been that PS5 is the best thing in ages, then he said it doesn't need TF to be good, and yesterday he went into PS5 is maybe better but gamers just can't see it yet. He's pretty obvious in trying to maintain he was correct that PS5 is exciting off the record since we are all confused about him hyping it up and seeing that it's not that superb. Only when he saw people pissed at how underwhelming the specs were, did he try to cover himself and suggest that the specs are a distraction and he was right about how special PS5 would be - despite many in the industry clearly still saying PS5 just isn't that exciting.

Another person who has no idea how journalism works.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Really now? Having a slightly less powerful console is nowhere near the mess that MS was in 2013 when they had the considerably less powerful, more expensive, tv-focused and 24-hour authentication bullshit.
Sonys message has been super confusing, and even nonexistent. MS has been Crystal clear with everything Series X.
Sony was clear with PS4, while no one knew what Xbox was back in 2013.

It IS a reversal of 2013.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
will just have to wait and see when we get DF comparisons of 3rd party games

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
It is really interesting to see in which way both platform holders are going.

Xbox has the stronger box, but have a more exploitative approach to innovation. Meaning, they keep increasing CPU, GPU numbers to deliver similar things in better quality (higher resolution, higher fps).

PlayStation took are more exploratory approach to innovation. The box isn't that strong in raw power to push resolution to its limit, but the ssd for example allows devs to fundamentally change their approach to game design.

Right now it seems gaming enthusiasts prefer Microsoft's approach, while devs are more excited with what Sony is doing. We will see how that plays out.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
His narrative has quite clearly been that PS5 is the best thing in ages, then he said it doesn't need TF to be good, and yesterday he went into PS5 is maybe better but gamers just can't see it yet. He's pretty obvious in trying to maintain he was correct that PS5 is exciting off the record since we are all confused about him hyping it up and seeing that it's not that superb. Only when he saw people pissed at how underwhelming the specs were, did he try to cover himself and suggest that the specs are a distraction and he was right about how special PS5 would be - despite many in the industry clearly still saying PS5 just isn't that exciting.

I think you are projecting your own fanboy nonsense to this.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Secret sauce, lol. Everything you don't understand you chuck it to being secret sauce. That's from Trump bag of tricks right there.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
he's been passing along information he's heard from sources. I don't think he's ever given his own opinion on how great Ps5 is or isn't. That's a pretty important distinction that your narrative seems to miss. He's a reporter. Reporting things he's heard doesn't mean he agrees with them. That's not how it works.
Literally has several tweets in the last two days offering his opinion on TF, the spec reveal, how that's all been interpreted by the public. He inserts opinions often into his timeline.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Like I said before: one has a slight CPU and GPU (TF) advantage and the other has a huge IO speed advantage with lesser CU's on the GPU but they run at higher clocks.

We have no idea what this actually means and how it will play out with multiplatform games.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honest question, where's this "PS5 will do checkerboard" coming from? It will 100% do native 4k.

I just assume Xbox will reach better resolution and frame rate like it does now with the X.

We'll probably get similar differences like RDR2 had, native on Xbox One X, less so elsewhere.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I dread how heated console warriors are going to get over the most minor differences we've ever seen in multiplats. We are absolutely going to see people claim their box is the extra most bestest because a game runs at a slightly higher resolution, or drops slightly fewer frames, or loads slightly faster, or has an ever so slightly better draw distance and so on and so forth.
Meanwhile the games will be practically identical.

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
It will be interesting to see how MS responds. Last time, when they clearly had the inferior hardware, it felt like they were everywhere in the media, trying to explain why their console was competitive.

So far, they've been quiet, but it will be interesting to see how it plays out. Continued silence in the immediate aftermath suggests some degree of confidence in their product (but also could simply be the new stance of new leadership).

No matter what, both consoles will be insanely impressive. I still expect that the PS5 will do some unique and amazing things, but primarily in the 1st party space. For 3rd party games, I think the XSX will have a consistent but variable advantage.

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"I heard from at least 3 Different people in the last couple of hours..."

Let me guess Jason, one of them is the same person who said it is the most exciting console in 20 years?

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I mean it might be; but I'd like to hear details, actual devs saying why, etc. Tell me about the differences, how do they each handle ray tracing for instance? Do the SSD differences make a real impact on draw distance and level design? Or is MS's "already many times faster than previous gens" enough to mitigate most of those concerns and PS5 is just that + even less initial load times?

I think both machines will produce great looking and playing games and be great media devices either way.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
I'm expecting multiplatform games to run slighty better on Xbox Series X. At the same i'm interested to see what Sony FP studios will be able to achieve with the PS5 hardware.

It's gonna be fun seeing fanboys going mad about this though.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
how exactly is more superior in a lot of different ways besides the SSD?

We haven't even seen the damn thing, let alone running an actual game.

Despite my utmost respect for Jason as a journalist, if he actually said that he sounds more like a fanboy to me.
Because reasons....On paper Xbox is clearly the stronger machine, at the end of the day it comes down to games but the news that PS5 will not be superior in every category like the PS4 was to XB1 hit link a bomb to some people.

Hana-Bi

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I don't understand Jason here. He makes fun of all those tfs comparison before the reveal and that those console wars are tiring and then he drops some secret sauce he can't talk about only to fuel the console wars more?

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Getting flashbacks of 8GB GDDR5... Those threads are getting downright stupid.
People crying over 10 to 20% differences they won't even notice.
People losing their mind over SSD speeds despite everything getting a tremendous speedup in term of I/O.

Heck, now we even get console warring over 3D Audio. If at least, this brought a documented discussion but lolnope.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
lmao citation needed

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This more and more feels like 2013 reversed.

I must have missed the XB1 having a 2x advantage in hard disk speeds and PS4's GPU only having around a 15% advantage instead of 40%.

What a completely disingenuous apples to oranges comparison to make it seem like people suddenly don't care about specs to fit your narrative...

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
The PS5 gives a bit more freedom in game design due to the SSD streaming tech, but that will really only pan out in exclusives. So it will be a PS3 type situation where multiplatform games all run better on Xbox but the first party PS5 exclusives do some amazing things.

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe we have people in here questioning Jason's Scheirer's credibility. Now I've seen everything. Smfh
The idea of someone being motivated by accuracy rather than allegiance is an extremely foreign concept in the year 2020, so I understand why so many people cannot help but apply a conspiratorial lens to everything happening right now.

I trust Jason's motives. That doesn't mean I am concluding based on his statements/relayed statements that what he is saying is definitely true - I want a lot more information, I'm sure eventually we'll get it. But I'm not ruling his statements false on the basis of some speculative bullshit, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.