• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
Assuming that the presentation wasn't completely blowing smoke about removing any and all bottlenecks that developers have faced in the past, is there any particular way to know until we actually have them to test?
I don't care which box is better overall, but you cannot seriously believe the bolded. The only way to do that would be having a machine with infinite power.

BKLorenzo

Banned
Mar 17, 2020
You do all realize that when a PS5 game is displayed on your 4k TV screen it will be in 4k right?
2OCsjTZ.gif

Jameson

Nov 23, 2017
Jason seemed very sensitive about the narrative yesterday, so I have doubt.

I want to see some tech demos, before I believe in secret sauce.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
XBox is better specs but the reality is that that almost no one will be able to tell the difference.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Doesnt Series X have 3d audio also?

After reading a Wired article that just came out and compared the two (including 3D Audio), I guess Microsoft took an advanced route, too, so I stand corrected. It just seemed like their approach was more generic versus the custom approach that Sony is taking, but I guess from the article they are fairly similar, but Sony may have a slight advantage since their approach would work outside of headphones.

Last edited:

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Not wishing to draw comparisons with any existing hardware past, present or future, Cerny presents an intriguing hypothetical scenario - a 36 CU graphics core running at 1GHz up against a notional 48 CU part running at 750MHz. Both deliver 4.6TF of compute performance, but Cerny says that the gaming experience would not be the same.

"Performance is noticeably different, because 'teraflops' is defined as the computational capability of the vector ALU. That's just one part of the GPU, there are a lot of other units - and those other units all run faster when the GPU frequency is higher. At 33 per cent higher frequency, rasterisation goes 33 per cent faster, processing the command buffer goes that much faster, the L1 and L2 caches have that much higher bandwidth, and so on," Cerny explains in his presentation.

"About the only downside is that system memory is 33 per cent further away in terms of cycles, but the large number of benefits more than counterbalance that. As a friend of mine says, a rising tide lifts all boats," explains Cerny. "Also, it's easier to fully use 36 CUs in parallel than it is to fully use 48 CUs - when triangles are small, it's much harder to fill all those CUs with useful work."

Sony's pitch is essentially this: a smaller GPU can be a more nimble, more agile GPU, the inference being that PS5's graphics core should be able to deliver performance higher than you may expect from a TFLOPs number that doesn't accurately encompass the capabilities of all parts of the GPU. Developers work to the power limits of the SoC, their workloads affecting frequencies on the fly - but it's those factors that impact the clock speeds, not ambient temperatures.

I trust Cerny with my life

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I really don't think the SSD is as big a deal as Jason is trying to make it out to be, and I say this as someone who is almost definitely going PS5.

Then you'd be wrong, because the SSD is the big game changer. The single biggest console component leap in decades. We're talking about a 100x faster disk which will change game design. It's really exciting.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ppl Underestimate this Xbox Velocity Architecture which is more innovative than the PS5's Custom SSD Kraken imo.

I think MS thought of putting more raw speed but finding a way not to, here's why the Xbox velocity architecture exists.

You're comparing apples to oranges, they're not the same thing. Microsoft's Velocity Architecture is a fancy way for them describing a whole range of different features and tools, not just related to IO throughput or decompression. For example, one of them is assessing data so that you can play games much earlier during the install phase, an area the PS4 already does something similar, and has a huge advantage over the Xbox One in.

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
Bro Its kinda spooky how this is all playing out. Reminds of 2013 an the hidden GPU an power of the cloud bs lmao, but now with secret sauce ssd an 3d audio lmfao They really say each gen is a fresh start an anyone's game to win.

Radamammuth

Dec 8, 2017
If it gives you no load times I'm in. Going by the Gears 5 tech demo the XSX is not looking great in that regard, optimized or not it was a very weak showing.

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
90% of people have already made up their minds.
9% will go to people who get convinced by a game.
The other 1% will go to whichever numbers are bigger - will TFlops win, or GB/S SSD?!?! FIGHT!

NOTE: Numbers completely pulled out of a rectum.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe we get another Xbox 360 vs. PS3 situation where first-party games 100% cut towards PS5 outshine everything on XSX, but multiplatforms in general runs better on Xbox. Time will tell. It's really hard to tell without any games/demos and there will most likely be another mid-gen hardware upgrade that might change things again.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
goddamn, ppl are getting stir-crazy. the systemwarsing is getting ridiculous. both consoles seem to have their unique advantages. And Sony's focus on SSD/3D audio could well be significant. But at least MS showed us a bit with their boost to Gears, RT in Minecraft and quick Suspend/Resume overall.

People will hopefully feel fine once Sony shows instead of just telling, which they've done so far.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The real fucked up thing is, based on the price threads, gamers have already made a straight-line corollary between "numbers on spec sheet" and "how much I'm willing to pay." Even if OP is true, we'll have an endless litany of "ripoff" and "arrogant sony" accusations because one number is smaller than another number. I feel like this hyper-focus on the specs and performance by these companies to the public is pretty damaging and sets the narrative so much into the nitty-gritty when all we should REALLY give two shits about is how the games look. So pls shut up Sony/MS and show more games thx.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020

Digital Foundry is super neutral and consistently put out the best content related to Video Game hardware and performance. They are certainly more neutral than the first party developers or developers working on exclusives for the PS5 or Mark Cerny himself.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
This thread is about tech talk, not sales or whatever you are implying.

In 2013, Microsoft people were denying PS4 had a GPU advantage. People were presenting standard GCN units as 'special sauce'.

I don't see the equivalent here. I think everyone acknowledges XSX has better GPU compute, and a better CPU. I think it's also possible PS5 has some better things too. That mix might be reflected in some developer opinion. I'm sure the very same devs Jason spoke to also think the XSX is superior in a lot of ways.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
That latest DF video where they cover the improvements to Gears 5 running on Series X and that it was only 2 weeks to get it up and running on Series X and how in some areas it runs at higher settings than Ultra PC settings. This is again, 2 weeks of work and not taking advantage of many of the things in the Series X. To me this bodes extremely well with how the system may handle Xbox One BC games.

scrambledeggs

Apr 25, 2018
🍿

I highly doubt the difference will be as drastic as the 720p and 1080p debacle with the base XONE and PS4 respectively.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
they are closer than ps4pro/ xbox one x and those had games which were very close or even equal.

so i can understand saying they are very close

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, you can argue it's more "advanced" as in maybe they have more interesting tech, but it's not superior.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
It's not hard to see that there are devs that prefer the SSD and Audio stuff they do to getting a (comparable) minuscule extra cpu/gpu power.

Oct 25, 2017
I see, well he was certainly right about that. I must've misunderstood his meeting with those tweets then because they sounded fairly disappointed.
From many of his other tweets it's clear that he doesn't care about TF, doesn't believe they are the most important metric, and I have to assume this is in part because of devs he talks to, not just some made up opinion. If he's disappointed in anything, it's about how TFs are shaping the discussion right now.

I don't know whether he's right or wrong, but the point he is trying to make is that power comes from various places. The transfer speed of data may have a serious impact on things other than loading, but it's hard for us as non-expert enthusiasts to fit that into our existing model of specs and how they relate to power. This isn't "secret sauce," this is information that is out there, just hard to understand.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
You know I'm now firmly in the camp that wishes teraflops were never a thing and I expect the XSX still will be more powerful. For whatever reason people want to just look at things from One perspective and not even consider anything else. It's very disheartening for trying to have a productive discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.