• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinan

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, PS5 may actually fit in my TV cabinet, unlike XSX, this will make it clearly supperior. :)

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
We'll see once the machines are out I guess. I find it hard to believe you can make up the gap in raw power here.
Cerny certainly made a case for why lower cus could be more efficient if handle properly. The talk of them being easier to fill and the higher gpu clock benefits. Not sure if he is full of it but maybe it's legit and a really well designed piece of hardware.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
I really don't care if you're DF or not, devs are the ones making the games, pal
PS5 not being as powerful as the sexbox really has people upset, huh?

Chill out about how powerful the console you have no interest in is. They'll both be great pieces of hardware with fantastic games.

Smh, system wars at this big age.

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
This.
Its going to come down to which console is supported best.
Chances are that will be the PS5, due to Japan.

Sure, huge factor, but there have been many games through the years that have broken through the zeitgeist because of how good they looked at the time despite their playability. A great game or a type of game might be better on a different platform because it plays to the strengths of the hardware. We're already hearing how Sony's super SSD is going to be for first party games.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
It's not 20%. Where were you last gen when the gap was much much larger?

Right, 16.7% okay. Still. Might mean the difference between a locked framerate and not.
I was playing games on PC but I was reading the comparisons, noticing that X1X had the better ports.

Do you know what the % difference was this gen for the mid-cycle refreshes?

cmChimera

Oct 28, 2017
This is another reason that they should not have hyped up a tech talk and just showed off what it could do.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Show me a ps5 running at 100% load while running quiet... and then will talk

XBX will be quiet - we know just by looking at that single large fan (large fans are quiet)

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Doesnt Series X have 3d audio also?

Spatial Audio – Spatial Audio delivers deeply immersive audio which enables the player to more accurately pinpoint objects in a 3D play space. With full support for Dolby Atmos, DTS:X and Windows Sonic, Xbox Series X has custom audio hardware to offload audio processing from the CPU, dramatically improving the accessibility, quality and performance of these immersive experiences.
news.xbox.com

Defining the Next Generation: An Xbox Series X|S Technology Glossary - Xbox Wire

[Editor’s Note: Updated on 10/21 at 11AM to ensure it is now reflective of the capabilities across both of our next-gen Xbox consoles following the unveil of Xbox Series S.] As we enter a new generation of console gaming with Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S, we’ve made a number of technology...

But I think Tempest Engine sounds better ^^

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Series X has Project Acoustic. They talked about it with the reveal.

It doesn't sound like what Cerny was talking about. It's kind of baked, static audio mapping that's relatively lightweight at runtime. Sony's audio silicon is basically a PS4 CPU equivalent targeting the ability to handle thousands of dynamic sound sources.

Now many MS's silicon is also capable of that kind of audio performance, but the Project Acoustic stuff points at a relatively light runtime envelope for processing.

Do we know how performant is Sony's?

They compared it to the 8 cores of the jaguar cpu in terms of processing power. I think they gave a figure for the number of dynamic sound sources you could process, though I imagine it varies rather a lot depending on what processing you're doing exactly.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
probably from 1P. 2013 secret sauce all over again . Lol

I keep seeing this type of revisionist shit, as if Sony has already grossly overpriced their underpowered console bundled with a costly tacked on peripheral prompting their fanboys to grasp at straws to justify their loyalty.

This is nothing like the Xbox One launch situation. But y'all keep fighting the good fight lol

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
Wow, era shatters jason's credibility here, obviously forum armchair developers geniuses understands more than real developers who are talking to Jason :p
The PS5 does have advantages and not all of them are on the dry spec sheet, a lot of the real advantages are the amount of custom silicon that Sony are going for with this, which cerny explained quite well.
A lot of real developers here.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was *really* hoping someone wouldn't make a thread about this, lol.

He said right before that quote that these devs are under NDA and can't even talk about why they think that, so it's not like we're actually going to get much of anything out of this discussion, and it's just going to turn into bashing Schreier.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Suddenly Jason is a liar? Man some of yall are hilarious.

Here is me disagreeing.
I dont doubt you know what youre talking about when it comes to tech, but I'm going to side with devs who design and develop the games here....

Besides he did say its better in "a lot of different ways" and not just outright better.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
PS5 not being as powerful as the sexbox really has people upset, huh?

Chill out about how powerful the console you have no interest in is. They'll both be great pieces of hardware with fantastic games.

Smh, system wars at this big age.
Why should I listen to DF and not the devs? I don't get it friendo
Didn't you complain about moving goal posts in another thread? Lol

Edit: You did.
I've actually been consistent that we should listen to devs

CruJones33Rad

Apr 22, 2019
Most differentiation between consoles are relevant to first party studio games only. Everything else will be similar. Need to see some actual gameplay, fps, settings, etc to see what the special sauce can do. I like the audio aspect of things a lot, but if the fan noise is so high I can hear it through my headphones, I'm looking at you PS4Pro, then what is the point? My purchasing decision will come down to cooling solution and noise, that's it.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
All this over a 16% Tflop difference. Arguably the lowest difference there's ever been between an Xbox and PlayStation console lol.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
People who want to believe this will use it as evidence to support their belief.

people who don't want tobelieve this will try to downplay or discredit it.

Rinse. Repeat. The next 12 months or so are going to be awesome around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.