• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
As someone who plays primarily on Nintendo hardware, I always forget that some people care about hardware specs. Launch cycles do a good job reminding me that twice a decade though :D

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Haha, so simple yet so right on.

Thing is, let's not pretend that those positions would be basically swapped if the console named in the title would be the other one.

So I guess it's just gonna be this for the next week or two, huh? Think I'll give myself a break from this place for a while. At least Doom Eternal comes out tomorrow (:

Week? This will go on way through the whole generation.

CosmicBolt

Self-Requested Ban
Oct 28, 2017
Once we see multi platform game running on next generation hardware we'll know which console has superior performance.

Jason hear it from devs, it seems like.

Maybe ultra fast SSD and high clock speed, aids PS5 in performance.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And many other insiders say the opposite. Jason's been on PS5 defense mode since before the presentation was even shown yesterday.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Jason usually has pretty good sources, so I'm willing to bet he isn't making things up. I wonder if the SSD allows for some texture streaming or something that punches above what the Xbox can do. That said in regards to framerates and resolution math usually doesn't lie, but a 17% difference isn't really going to matter much. They are both looking like great machines.
Dynamic resolution will be used a lot this gen. I expect performance to be the same, with the weaker system dropping the resolution( by the necessary amount) to maintain frame rates.

Jan 29, 2018
I mean, all the custom work around the PS5 SSD seems pretty exciting.

But the best thing to do is probably buy both and never worry about a console spec sheet again.

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
Don't really care about hardware that much, tbh. Obviously it matters to some extent but I just wanna see some games at this point

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly this is all starting to feel like PS4/Xbox One in reverse.

We're talking about 3D audio and SSD Speeds, I cant wait till we start talking about hidden GPUs, Cloud Power and secret sauce.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Does any of this REALLY matter? It's always about the games/services. If you like MS's offerings and recent acquisitions, or GamePass is important to you, some minor difference in specs doesn't matter. If you like Sony's offerings or a bit more JP support, the difference in specs doesn't matter to you. Of course friends matter too, but cross play is becoming more common.

I go where the games that I like are.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Who's forcing you to buy video game consoles?
i mean forced maybe is a little bit exagerated but i have a pc for M games and i love sony exclusives, so, do your math...
let's say i'm forced to buy a ps5 to play their exclusive games, no chance in hell of me waiting years to play these games on pc.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Just super excited with what first party will cook up. Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, Guerilla and Insomniac all blew my mind even on base PS4 hardware this gen. They are at their peak, like 2007 Crytek lol.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
I've got to say I'm glad there's different approaches to hardware architecture next gen. I was worried they'd be carbon copies of each other but that's not the case.

Can't wait for more data.

Oct 27, 2017
I see some people are having a really hard time balancing the idea that the two machines may have different advantages, rather than one being roundly superior in all aspects.

The tech details are laid out. We can see where it's better 'in different ways'. It's not nebulous, made up, misterxmedia 'secret sauce'.

Yup, and in that regard I thought this comment from John Linneman yesterday was particularly interesting.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
this is going to make the resolution comparisons of 2013 look tame. we're going to go back to 2006-8 era stuff of "actually, the softer look is more cinematic and less angular and harsh on the eyes."

grim stuff, folks. not good.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
I think there's still a lot left to be revealed from both MS and Sony. Making final judgements now on which is superior sounds foolish to me.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Is it as performant as Sony's? (I mean it might be, I don't know...)

We can disagree on the importance of different advantages. We can't disagree that they exist.
Series X has Project Acoustic. They talked about it with the reveal.

Project Acoustics is a wave acoustics engine for 3D interactive experiences. It models wave effects like occlusion, obstruction, portaling and reverberation effects in complex scenes without requiring manual zone markup or CPU intensive ray tracing. It also includes game engine and audio middleware integration. Project Acoustics' philosophy is similar to static lighting: bake detailed physics offline to provide a physical baseline, and use a lightweight runtime with expressive design controls to meet your artistic goals for the acoustics of your virtual world. Ray-based acoustics methods can check for occlusion using a single source-to-listener ray cast, or drive reverb by estimating local scene volume with a few rays. But these techniques can be unreliable because a pebble occludes as much as a boulder. Rays don't account for the way sound bends around objects, a phenomenon known as diffraction. Project Acoustics' simulation captures these effects using a wave-based simulation. The acoustics are more predictable, accurate and seamless. Project Acoustics' key innovation is to couple real sound wave-based acoustic simulation with traditional sound design concepts. It translates simulation results into traditional audio DSP parameters for occlusion, portaling, and reverb. The designer uses controls over this translation process.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Secret sauce strikes again.

We've been though this multiple times.

No level of special customization will make up for raw numbers.

Im sure Sony built a great machine, and devs will do amazing things with it, but it is what it is as far as numbers are concerned

Status
Not open for further replies.