• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Based on what? Where is this assumption coming from that devs will outdo their own work on Series X by using tricks on PS5? What evidence is there for this?

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn at people doubting Jason. I wonder if the same people here were doing this in the Horizon PC port thread?

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I see some people are having a really hard time balancing the idea that the two machines may have different advantages, rather than one being roundly superior in all aspects.

The tech details are laid out. We can see where it's better 'in different ways'. It's not nebulous, made up, misterxmedia 'secret sauce'.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
We need a console facts thread because the bullshit I'm reading daily is driving me insane

All of a sudden a 16% (which, again, is far less than either PS4 v X1 or PS4 Pro v X1X) difference in power is such a downgrade, ignoring the 100% increase in SSD speed and the whatever percent increase in clock speed.

Not to mention that people are ignoring what Cerny and DF is saying that even though they said "variable" it will spend all it's time at those speeds, and only downclock very rarely to avoid too much power (AND AGAIN, he said it would be a drop of A FEW PERCENTS)

The console warrior bullshit is frankly tiring. I'm just gonna use this post and quote it at all the jabronis who don't get it
A 20% faster GPU is very significant imho.

Not really a console guy, but if I was I'd be leaning towards the X1X because of it. But of course, if I had a library of games on PSN, that may (or may not) be compatible with PS5, my hands would be kind of tied.
It's not 20%. Where were you last gen when the gap was much much larger?

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
People will only care for spec sheets anyway... Sony should show some games.

I think people will care about visuals and performance.
It comes down to exclusives.
And it comes down to resolution, framerate, load time etc. comparisons for multiplats.

But again, only a small portion of gamers care about that stuff. The vast majority won't even be aware.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Third party games will probably have better performance on xbox especially with raytracing involved. First party sony games though will be very interesting to see how they leverage the monster amount of i/o

Dec 23, 2017
Here we go. Hopefully all gamers just get great games. This whole console war spec war thing is so overdone. Let's see if developers actually use what is available to make better games. Not just try and give the best graphics and have framerate issues. Specs mean crap if developers just try and hit technical buzzwords.

TameLucas

May 30, 2019
Montreal
In regards to innovation, that SSD and custom 3D Audio will be a dramatic change (in a really good way) compared to just a power increase (though, the power increase of XsX in remarkable). People are focusing way too hard on power and not enough of the elements that actually matter the most.
Xbox Series X also has custom 3D audio.

The only massive difference that makes PS5 superior would be its SSD, but will that full power be used for 3rd party games that will be also on PC & XSX? We don't know. So it's likely its superiority will only matter on a few specific games.

Not that anyone cares, in the end. I still think games, services and support will define this generation again, like it always does :)

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
No reason to doubt Jason. I'm excited to see what devs can do with both the PS5 and the XsX and what kind of differences between the two will manifest.

unapersson

Oct 27, 2017
It's not really all surprising, the TF number is a theoretical max, so depends how well you can fill the pipeline. Can see 36 CUs being easier to fully utilise, plus they're running faster, while being combined with a faster SSD. It's like brute force vs elegance.

That said, given time...

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to see some of those exclusives to see the tech in action.

Not sure about superior when it's factually not...superior.

At least this got me a bit more excited for the PS5 because after that bc news yesterday...

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
I'd be cool with downloading more RAM, but PSN is so slow, imagine how long 16GB will take

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Jason usually has pretty good sources, so I'm willing to bet he isn't making things up. I wonder if the SSD allows for some texture streaming or something that punches above what the Xbox can do. That said in regards to framerates and resolution math usually doesn't lie, but a 17% difference isn't really going to matter much. They are both looking like great machines.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I really want to see some devs comment on it beyond just a "im so excited!" or "looks great!".

I want to know specifically WHY they seem so amped about it.

Easier to develop for than current consoles? XSX?
Is the SSD stuff just turn-key automatic and they will benefit even in multiplatform games?
Is the CPU/GPU variable clockspeed stuff also turn-key?
Does that make it easier in some ways than fixed speed?
Are the 3D audio tools easy for them to use?
Does Sony have some awesome API and SDK stuff they're giving devs (already) that make all this stuff brain dead easy?

Really curious, and I am still a little cautious about there being a noticeable gulf between third party games. I also want to know if PS5 makes it more tempting for devs to make PS5 exclusives because they want to make something interesting and new instead of something that has to work across multiple platforms.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Wow, era shatters jason's credibility here, obviously forum armchair developers geniuses understands more than real developers who are talking to Jason :p
The PS5 does have advantages and not all of them are on the dry spec sheet, a lot of the real advantages are the amount of custom silicon that Sony are going for with this, which cerny explained quite well.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think Jason has been wrong about any of the next gen stuff yet, so we'll see I guess.

Maybe its the Cloud?

If I had to guess, he's referring to the IO set up or SSD speed, higher frequency clocks etc. I don't think it's pie in the sky stuff (eg like Cloud, dGPU etc was for the Xbox One) but actual tangible stuff.

How all these things impacts games remains to be seen however. First year is going to be filled with cross gen games, so I doubt they fully make use of the new hardware anyway, not from a ground up design perspective anyway.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't think the SSD is as big a deal as Jason is trying to make it out to be, and I say this as someone who is almost definitely going PS5.

My fear would be that cross platform games will have to be developed for both devices, so only exclusives can fully make use of that kind of superior storage bandwidth.

Targeting systems with varying degrees of GPU horsepower is something that devs are kinda used to.
Targeting systems with varying degrees of storage bandwidth seems like a huge pain in the ass.

Like, you can reduce the resolution or frame rate between two versions of the game - can't really reduce your protagonist's running speed :P

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So was the PS3 compared to the Xbox 360...

In this case at least a lot of developers seem to be on board, so it'll be interesting to see how this goes.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
Thread title should be changed, Jason is simply relaying what hes heard from some developers. Title reads like he is making this statement.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Xbox Series X also has custom 3D audio.

The only massive difference that makes PS5 superior would be its SSD, but will that full power be used for 3rd party games that will be also on PC & XSX? We don't know. So it's likely its superiority will only matter on a few specific games.

In regards to 3D Audio and SSD, Sony has the advantage based on the custom designs, whereas Microsoft has the advantage over CPU, RAM, GPU and Backwards Compatibility. Either way, we win heavily as gamers.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
I just want to see the games, really. No way im gonna miss sony 1st party tho so PS5 is a day 1 for me

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
bullshit.

series X is superior. period.

Series X will sell far less than PS5 either way.

PS didnt have to be a better console to win

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
So I guess it's just gonna be this for the next week or two, huh? Think I'll give myself a break from this place for a while. At least Doom Eternal comes out tomorrow (:

Woffls

Nov 25, 2017
London
Hopefully this round of consoles will get everyone to stop reading spec sheets and pretending they understand.

Probably not.

Status
Not open for further replies.