• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
When was Kotaku sold to this company? Was it part of a larger overall deal or something?

like 6 months ago. Not a larger deal. Univision had a shitload of debt and the vampires got it for cheap. The ironic part is the advertisers love their site and they're pretty damn profitable. There's literally no upside to doing this.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
I dont have 1UP. If I lose Kotaku, I'll be stuck reading sugar coated Famitsu, and will probably just die.

I hope the management comes to their senses, and nobody else loses their jobs.

Good luck and solidarity to anyone reading this involved in the struggle!

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I'm not surprised with how they openly talked negatively about their own ad practices and what not. Sucks that people may lose jobs, but most companies aren't cool with their employees openly talking negatively about its practices.

qatak

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping the GMG Union is putting together a strike. I'm worried something worse is happening though.

Regardless, fuck Jim Spanfeller

JustinBailey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Private Equity companies at the beginning were pretty awesome in what they did. Nowadays, I'm not convinced the model adds value to anyone except themselves.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
I hope they can pull a gametrailers and do their own thing.

Jason is too good of a reporter to not land back on his feet.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I'm far from agreeing with everything Jason says, but he's one of the best out there. If something happens he will definitely not be out of work for long

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a link to some of Barry's articles/comments/editorials somewhere?

Curious what he may have written that sparked his termination.

Barry had been operating as the defacto editor in chief of the site. That means all the middle fingers to management were basically signed off by him. Rightfully so might I add.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
We about to see a GiantBomb2 in terms of exodus?

I imagine that we're going to see firings first. Schreier and others walked against the company line and it looks like Jim Shitstain is on the warpath now, based on what just happened at Deadspin.

Hopefully Totilo and Schreier and the rest of the staff come out of this okay.

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
Jason used to speak very poorly of Kotaku before he got hired on over there, and to be honest I think he deserves better. If he gets laid off I hope a wonderful opportunity comes his way.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
It would be quite sad to lose Kotaku like this, especially after they survived Gawker.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
Surely the reason they're so hardcore about the ad revenue is because the economics are only getting tougher? If we're assuming this is related to the ad stuff from yesterday.

Nope. Advertisers love the GMG sites, especially Deadspin. As I've said before, they're pretty damn profitable and have great traffic numbers. This is all about busting the union, silencing dissidence, and sucking GMG dry before moving on the next one. It's the private equity playbook.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shame on everyone for not even remembering about my boy Tim Rogers. He is the best person at Kotaku.

Nov 23, 2017
I mean I'm not surprised with how they openly talked negatively about their own ad practices and what not. Sucks that people may lose jobs, but most companies aren't cool with their employees openly talking negatively about its practices.
Maybe this would be true...if that was their actual impetus in any way, but it wasn't . It was just the flashpoint. The staffs issues with the owners go way further back before the auto play ads stuff.

Last edited:

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The graveyard of video game news websites is growing. 10 years ago I would've thought these companies could easily thrive in the internet age.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
Is G/O unionized or not quite yet?

G/O Media is the ownership group. Gizmodo media group is the family of sites and they are indeed unionized. When G/O bough them they handed out this handbook that had some pretty vile stuff in it that their union immediately rebuffed and said "yeah, no." So this is going to get very ugly very quick.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't actively read Kotaku as a single feed in a while, but I'll read articles from writers I like there frequently, and that number of writers/articles has only increased over time. It's not just Jason, so it's a little weird to see him always singled out. I feel like they've cultivated a nice relatively "new" group of people over the past few years.

Now, I really hope things end well for them, but even if this is just about a strike/more action against management... I have to imagine people will be trying to leave sooner rather than later. Obviously Kotaku's survived some bad situations before, but it's pretty understandable that you might want to get out when your bosses are behaving like this. And writing jobs can be pretty unstable positions in general, so it's particularly painful to see the management just absolutely fuck up a site that was seemingly doing solidly, for no reason at all.

The userName I'm dead

I hadn't even noticed, lmao. Just being a rather boringly terrible troll or really that committed to being garbage? Who can say...

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
For someone who is not actively following either deadspin or kotaku (I do really enjoy Jasons journalism though), could someone ELI5 on what's going down? in just a few lines.. a summary or something.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
I was too worried about the potential loss of our best Trump writer that I didn't even think about this rippling out to other publications :(

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
For someone who is not actively following either deadspin or kotaku (I do really enjoy Jasons journalism though), could someone ELI5 on what's going down? in just a few lines.. a summary or something.

TL;DR, The new owners, G/O Media, seem to be cracking down on all of their sites and forcing them to run ads they don't want to and forcing them to only write about certain content.

Mitch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Trolling with an intentionally misleading link
fuck

[Mod Edit: Troll link removed]

Fusionfrenzy

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 2, 2019
I get that people take pride in their work, but journalists really should not be complaining about adverts on their own site (nor should users). How else are people going to get their wages paid for? That goes for every scummer using adblock too.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
G/O Media is the ownership group. Gizmodo media group is the family of sites and they are indeed unionized. When G/O bough them they handed out this handbook that had some pretty vile stuff in it that their union immediately rebuffed and said "yeah, no." So this is going to get very ugly very quick.

I see. Best of luck to all the employees.

Guessing a lot of dirty laundry is going do be aired in the coming weeks.