• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Can someone ELi5 unionization for me real quick, specifically how it would ever not lead to backfire from the entity you are unionizing against?

There is no reason a union has to be at odds with an employer. A union is there to represent the interests of the working body. If the employer likewise takes steps and makes efforts to keep it's workers happy, healthy, and stable, the union doesn't in theory have to fight for anything (And remains a watchdog).

If employers don't have the interests of their employees in mind, then yes, the union is supposed to cause problems for them. And of course the employer is likely to try to fight them because obviously they don't want to bow to their employees if they're trying to implement policies that negativity affect employees.

Last edited:

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I'm not much of a fan of Kotaku's work, with some notable exceptions here and there, but it always sucks to see people fired. Hope things work out and if they do get fired I hope they get back on their feet ASAP.

AlphaMale

Dec 21, 2017
User banned (1 week): inappropriate comment
I personally think both Kotaku and Polygon are shit, so I'm not sad about this news...

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
G/O is just cannibalizing their investments - if they kill Deadspin and Kotaku there will be nothing of value left.

Nov 1, 2017
Halloween massacre incoming.

giphy.gif

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Eh, honestly his articles were the only good thing at Kotaku for some years now. I'm sure he'll have no trouble finding a new gig.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Wishing Kotaku and the rest of the sites the best of luck in dealing with this BS

That's an absolute shame.

Jason will definitely land on his feet if the worst happens, though. No offense to his colleagues or anyone that reports on games, but he's by far the best there is.

By far's a stretch, especially so long as Cecilia D'Anastasio (apologies with spelling) is working at the same place, though I concede not as much of her stuff lands here because it talks about the more social aspects of games. I do agree that Jason will be picked up instantly though.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Strike hard! Hopefully they can at least rip shit up on their way out. Got a lot of eyes on them because of the Deadspin shit.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Can someone ELi5 unionization for me real quick, specifically how it would ever not lead to backfire from the entity you are unionizing against?

typically, if the entire (or near entire) work force stops working, no money is made.

It shifts power back to the workers from those at the top who are skimming from their labor.

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Not worried about Jason but there are more staff there that might not rebound so easily. Good luck to them all and I hope this all turns out for the better.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Well this is pretty bad. First gameinformer and now Kotaku? Sounds like rough times for journalism. Hopefully other outlets can reach out and help them if this goes were the tweets seem to imply it going.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Well shit .. hopefully nothing bad's about to happen but just in case, hopefully the Kotaku staff to be effected lands on their feet quickly.

Apollo

Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Best of luck to everyone at Kotaku and their sister sites.

XSystem

Apr 1, 2019
Oh shit, I wish Kotaku's staff the very best and hope things turn out well for them. Unlike some other posters in this thread I believe there are many talented people currently working and writing there, including Jason, Cecilia, Heather, Gita, Tim and many more.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
When was Kotaku sold to this company? Was it part of a larger overall deal or something?

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope these guys do a Giant Bomb and form their own publication. I'd follow them wherever they go.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Well this is fucking terrible.... Kotaku has been doing really great work for a while now.... And I'm not just talking about Jason.

A lot of people (including in this thread) love to shit on that site because of its history but the reality is that it has been mostly quality for a while now.

Really big blow for the industry