• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 23, 2019
I dislike the "i'll be honest with you"......only to not be upfront and honest. How does a professional studio of this caliber NOT know weeks ago that their game needed major polished and had to be pushed back 3 months! Like that's just not being honest at all. Either just say "sorry, we goofed" or just announce a new date and say nothing at all.

What are you even talking about? What is it with you and other people with these lame conspiracy theories? The game needs a little bit more time in development, end of story. This is borderline "lazy dev" concern trolling.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, because applying an ounce of common sense or logic to anything is disallowed on the forums I guess :)
You didn't apply an ounce of logic. You responded with a sarcastic post, calling it bullshit and saying something is up even though you have no idea what it is. Sounds like a bunch of fud to me

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Perfect. 1 week after my birthday. I can take my time with Ori 2, and i may just play ff7remake, whereas i planned on skipping it.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
A bit frustrating, but this actually makes the flow of games in 2020 a lot more affordable for me.

Oct 27, 2017
Murfreesboro, TN
Considering I would be putting all my time into FFVIIR when it comes out two weeks after the original date, I'm glad it got pushed back. Also let's them spend a little more time working on it without the crunch.

Croash

Oct 27, 2017
Almost exactly 7 years after the original.

My life has changed so much yet TLoU remains my favorite game of all time.

Good luck to the team.

Edit: I really expect it to be PS5 enhanced day one and retail boxes to be repackaged to say "PS4 and PS5" like those "Xbox One & Xbox 360" brandings. No PS5 exclusive version.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Makes me think every Sony first party will have 1 game for the entirety of PS5.
Except Guerrilla.

Blegh I've been feeling the same way. Probably just the future of game development given the risk cost and production times. Still a bummer when you compare the studios outputs from last gen to this gen.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck, that's the same week as my birthday and I'm going away for a few weeks. Gonna be dodging spoilers like Neo dodging bullets.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
They might as well keep it for the ps5 launch
Just make it a PS5 launch title already.
Might as well make it PS5 at this point.
Oh yeah, I agree. What I'm nervous about is trying to juggle those two games if they are close to each other. I'm massively excited for both (albeit for different reasons) so I'd like both to have some 'space' between them so I can enjoy them fully and no distractions of other games to pull me away.
Might as well wait for the PS5 to play the game properly then. Bummer.
PS4 Backwards compatibility has been confirmed for PlayStation 5.

- Wait until November 2020
- Get it for PS5
- Comes enhanced with haptic feedback triggers, Raytracing, higher resolution, higher framerates, better shadows, bett textures and possible PSVR2 compatibility

👇
👇
👇

- Profit

giphy.gif

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
LOL, what a load of crap in that statement. So the accomplished Naughty Dog developer that was firmly confident in a February 21, 2020 release date just a few weeks ago suddenly had a light bulb come on that the polishing and scope of the game was more than they realized? Sure. There was more to it than this no doubt.

Bruh, please. Do you even know how game development works? Any extra difficulty can happen during development, especially towards the end. These things are never set perfectly.

I could imagine you would be one of the first people to scream "downgrade" "bugs" "but naughty goddzz" had they released the game unfinished.

strotee

Aug 9, 2018
What does it say? Won't let me in.

To our fans,
Let me cut to the chase and get the news out of the way. The Last of Us Part II has a new release date of May 29, 2020.

I know. It was just about a month ago when we had our big blowout for the game, letting media play over two hours of it along with debuting our new story trailer and revealing the release date. The positive response we saw from our community was overwhelming. You can feel the energy among the team members. After working on something for so many years, it's invigorating to get a glimpse of validation for all the hard work.

However, it was during the last few weeks, as we were closing out sections of the game, that we realized we simply didn't have enough time to bring the entire game up to a level of polish we would call Naughty Dog quality. At this point we were faced with two options: compromise parts of the game or get more time. We went with the latter, and this new release date allows us to finish everything to our level of satisfaction while also reducing stress on the team.

While we're relieved that we won't have to compromise our vision, we're disappointed that we weren't able to avoid this exact situation. We wish we could've foreseen the amount of polish we needed, but the size and scope of this game got the better of us. We hate disappointing our fans and for that we're sorry.

We hope you understand that this additional time ensures that The Last of Us Part II lives up to our collective ambition as well as our commitment to the highest level of quality. We know the extra few months will add to what may already be an excruciating wait for all of us. We are grateful for your patience and continued support. Come next May, you will finally rejoin Ellie in The Last of Us Part II.

-Neil

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
LOL, what a load of crap in that statement. So the accomplished Naughty Dog developer that was firmly confident in a February 21, 2020 release date just a few weeks ago suddenly had a light bulb come on that the polishing and scope of the game was more than they realized? Sure. There was more to it than this no doubt.
It's simple they thought they could get it done now they know they can't.
Sony not going pressure ND for a date.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
I dislike the "i'll be honest with you"......only to not be upfront and honest. How does a professional studio of this caliber NOT know weeks ago that their game needed major polished and had to be pushed back 3 months! Like that's just not being honest at all. Either just say "sorry, we goofed" or just announce a new date and say nothing at all.
The worst part of ignorance is thinking it's everyone else who is stupid.

Nardy_19

Alt-account
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
My god some of you have no clue at all what you are talking about shit changes all the time in game development unexpected bugs or whatever.
Dude if you're gonna quote me and try to correct me....please be correct. How on EARTH did the team not know this was coming. Are they amateurs or something? AGAIN, my point is that don't pull the "i'll be straight to the point" line with fans only to follow with what is basically bs. Either really be honest or just don't bother giving the whole speech.

Jun 23, 2019
You would think this game was delay a year not a measly 3 months going by some people here.
Some people can't help themselves trying to concern troll arguably the biggest game of the generation.

Dude if you're gonna quote me and try to correct me....please be correct. How on EARTH did the team not know this was coming. Are they amateurs or something? AGAIN, my point is that don't pull the "i'll be straight to the point" line with fans only to follow with what is basically bs. Either really be honest or just don't bother giving the whole speech.

Nah, this argument is disingenuous as hell and is nothing, but concern trolling. ND are not the first nor the last developer to delay a game coming out due to more polish and development. The fact you can't accept this and trying to turn it into a grand conspiracy says more about you than ND.

Naudyboy

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 6, 2019
Marvel Avengers is also May isn't it? They should take their time to make sure it's up to their standards. I'm still somewhat blown away that they even announced the Feb date just to go back less than a month later and delay it. Unless Sony forced them to announce a date or some major set back just happened.

SeanBoocock

Senior Engineer @ Epic Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas

One likely scenario: in the intervening weeks as they brought more pieces of the game to final or near final, a lot of unaccounted work emerged. The producers/development directors worked with the discipline leads to scope out the size and shape of that work. They generated potential plans prioritizing that work against the original date and then a hypothetical further delay. The team felt that the best possible outcome for the game was to delay for X time so that they could hit a larger subset of the feature/polish backlog. They presented that to stakeholders who signed off on it.

Chris McQueen

Self-requested ban
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
London
What does it say? Won't let me in.

To our fans,

Let me cut to the chase and get the news out of the way. The Last of Us Part II has a new release date of May 29, 2020.

I know. It was just about a month ago when we had our big blowout for the game, letting media play over two hours of it along with debuting our new story trailer and revealing the release date. The positive response we saw from our community was overwhelming. You can feel the energy among the team members. After working on something for so many years, it's invigorating to get a glimpse of validation for all the hard work.

However, it was during the last few weeks, as we were closing out sections of the game, that we realized we simply didn't have enough time to bring the entire game up to a level of polish we would call Naughty Dog quality. At this point we were faced with two options: compromise parts of the game or get more time. We went with the latter, and this new release date allows us to finish everything to our level of satisfaction while also reducing stress on the team.

While we're relieved that we won't have to compromise our vision, we're disappointed that we weren't able to avoid this exact situation. We wish we could've foreseen the amount of polish we needed, but the size and scope of this game got the better of us. We hate disappointing our fans and for that we're sorry.

We hope you understand that this additional time ensures that The Last of Us Part II lives up to our collective ambition as well as our commitment to the highest level of quality. We know the extra few months will add to what may already be an excruciating wait for all of us. We are grateful for your patience and continued support. Come next May, you will finally rejoin Ellie in The Last of Us Part II.

-Neil

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I'm a bit disappointed in the delay. I thought end of March at the earliest. This feels like a thing that we wouldn't get over easily like Jason said...

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what this means for Tsushima. That game feels like it might be a Breath of the Wild situation at this point.

Oct 31, 2017
Makes me think every Sony first party will have 1 game for the entirety of PS5.
Except Guerrilla.
Blegh I've been feeling the same way. Probably just the future of game development given the risk cost and production times. Still a bummer when you compare the studios outputs from last gen to this gen.

I've said this a bunch of times to others, but I think this is overstated. The output isn't that much different, the amount of content has increased even if the number of games hasn't (Ex: God of War 3/Ascension are really short compared to God of War PS4), and the quality is a lot higher (ex: Uncharted 1 is really rough and short when you compare it to the PS4 Uncharteds).

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
It's worth noting that Neil Druckmann is leagues more trustworthy than you. The salty spin won't work on this one I'm afraid. No-one without some kind of agenda is concerned about The Last of Us Part II, and Sony has the balls to delay their biggest game even though its unpolished state would exceed the quality of most games this generation.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

With games having more content and looking this good taking longer was a given even with a bigger team.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Delaystation 4. Doesn't really bug me as I'm not a big fan but it was funny hearing ppl say they wouldn't announce the release date a month ago if they was any chance it would be delayed. I do find that weird as hell.

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
They released an apology to you because you thought there games were average when the general consensus is they aren't and they are up for GOTY all the time they are released? That apology? Or maybe the apology isn't aimed at an individual who moans sarcastically and bitched about a delay even though he doesnt like the games anyway.
When did I say their games were "average"? I said they were alright, which is far from average. I also outright said TLoU2 looked "good". I simply said they weren't as good as users on here make out. Not sure why that touched such a nerve. Your 2 posts have been insanely aggressive. I don't happen to rate a game as highly as you do, get over it.

I don't think the quality of ND games is good enough to warrant consistent multiple delays on basically every title they develop. Plenty of games on par with the quality of ND games get released on time, why should I cut them slack when they consistently delay games?

They released an apology because they're aware an delay is a disappointment worthy of making an apology over. Unlike a lot of people on here that keep saying it no big deal when we know damn well they'd be slaughtering other developers if they had this track record for delaying games.

Nardy_19

Alt-account
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
What are you even talking about? What is it with you and other people with these lame conspiracy theories? The game needs a little bit more time in development, end of story. This is borderline "lazy dev" concern trolling.
No, clearly you're being too sensitive. EVERYONE knows that game just didn't suddenly need 3 extra months to cook. The point is, this is a professional team, things happen but they had to know their game wasn't ready. You don't announce a release date and then weeks later say "oh wow, we totally didn't know how much work was left, we need 3 more months", i just don't buy that from a team that a) had this very same issue with another game ( therefore they should have been prepared) b) is one of the highest regarded studios in gaming (hence they should know better).

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
Ps5 cross gen title. May as well sell the ps4 and wait for the definitive edition for ps5.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Delayed to give players the option to non-lethally subdue dogs.

I'm glad the team pushed for a delay rather than exploring other options that may have made it harder for individuals to have a decent work life balance.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Shrug. It's not a big deal. Game development is always fluid, and release dates are tricky.

A lot of the time, unforeseen things crop up towards the end, and if you're not confident you can polish things by the expected release date, then things get delayed. At least they realized this four months from release, and not a month before, when discs are already getting sent out for manufacture. Also reduces the chances that it'll have to have a massive day 1 patch on launch day. Doesn't mean it won't have a day 1 patch, just that it might not be a gigantic one.

I'm also all for devs not killing themselves with obscene hours to force a game to release on a tight launch date. Work/Life balance is vital, and we're only human. I can wait a few more months for a highly anticipated game to release. The team's family and loved ones straining their relationships just so I can get mah vidya game asap isn't worth it to me.

Like I view all delays: eventually the game will be in my hands. I have plenty enough to keep me busy until then.

The entitlement that fears its ugly head when this happens is so ridiculous to me.

ZW33

Oct 25, 2017
That would be idiotic at best. The PS4 user install base is BOOMING. Why release it for PS5 when it will have half the users PS4 has. Of course, it will prob be cross-gen and release on both though. The same happened w/ TLOU dropping on PS3 and people wondering why not PS4. Because later on, it will be there

I know, I'm not saying that it would be the best financial decision, or that they should cancel the PS4 version or anything.

More like, in hindsight it would have been nice if they planned it as a PS5 launch title, so they could have pushed the graphics/tech even further, and not been held back at all by a 6 year old console.

Still super excited to play it, whenever/wherever it's released.

Oticon

Oct 30, 2017
I'm okay with is. I can wait a few months more when I've already waited for like 6 years.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Doesn't sound like it has to do with adding MP. It's to bring up to the quality people expect from them. That's something I can't hate on at all. It doesn't matter much for me anyway, because I won't get to play it myself. Well, except probably at my brother's place.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Only load of crap I see is the one you holdin in your hand as you typed that post
12016.jpg

this ain't a halo dig

Status
Not open for further replies.