• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The people mad about this are absolutely embarrassing.

Get a grip, and some perspective.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TLOU has now sold 20+ million copies across PS3 and PS4 and is the 2nd most awarded game in history. My statement stands.

tumblr_oide5vzsmr1rs0w1ho1_500.gif

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
3 months isn't too bad but they should have held back on the blowout and release date announcement if the date wasn't set in stone. It's a bad look to announce the delay just 1 month after you've announced the release day imho.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd feel bad for developers that put up with these dramatic comments. Shit happens and you have a thread full of grown men saying it's embarassing they can't stick to their word. They already apologized ffs lol.

LuckyLocke

Avenger
Nov 27, 2017
Take your time boys. Make it perfect. There's more than enough games out there to keep us busy in the meantime.

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I don't mind the delay, but I do think it's a bit odd that they've delayed it so close to announcing the release in the first place.

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
{{Dumb image insinuating console wars as usual}}
Oh please -- what he's saying is not wrong.

Overall, we should all be fine with a delay, as a delayed game hopefully means an even higher quality one. There is literally zero reason to get upset about a delay in the long run.

I think there is reason to get upset over the fact that the messaging surrounding this game's release has been terrible and feels dishonest at best. Top it off with the fact that the game will not have multiplayer despite previous reports that it would, and you have right for people to not just accept the "we've determined in the last ~3 weeks that it needs more polish hehe" statement at face value.

Got to fulfill all of those Ellie Editions.
I feel like THIS has something to do with it, and is part of why people find it sketchy. They open the floodgates to all the preorders, and then just delay for "polish"? Nah, something's up here.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
The original date was near my bday. fucking hell. but in the back of my head I knew something felt wrong about that date. I originally called a may/june date for TLOU2, thought maybe it would release this year though lol. TLOU and U4 released in june and this new date makes much more sense both from a historical perspective and financial one, as im sure the game will do better leading into summer with school out.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
Sony was doing a great job not giving release dates early, i really appreciate that tactic for the developer and the fans alike (its easier to put a game on the backburner of your conscious when you dont have a date). Sounds like they still fell in the trap of giving a date without fully being confident in it, so Id imagine they will continue to adjust their strategy.

I like the 3 month window of release date announcement to actual release. Now its a 7 month wait which is annoying. Still not as bad as knowing 1+ year in advance.

Hopefully this is avoidable in the future. Wait until 2 months if you have to to be fully confident.

Edit: As others have mentioned, I'll be playing FF7R so its not a huge deal. originally I was going to put FF7 on hold until April-May, now I'll play that first and this second. Although Cyberpunk is too close!

Jun 23, 2019
You're not making any sense. The ambition and scope of RDR2 and Cyberpunk are much larger than TLOU2. RDR2 hasn't even been released on PC and has sold over 20 mil. Cyberpunk has been one of the most anticipated games this generation.
Welp, you got me. TLOU2 has no ambition or scope and totally isn't one of the anticipated games of the generation as the first game blew everyone away.
Do you have something to contribute to the conversation or did you think posting a snarky gif somehow was the right choice?

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
It's a bit annoying given they only announced the release date a month ago but I'd rather they get the game done properly.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
That's totally fine, although it is so close to the launch of the PS5, I might as well wait for the inevitable remaster.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
It's great for me! I'll probably study at a 150% rate this spring term so this means less distractions and a better game to look forward to!

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Oh please -- what he's saying is not wrong.

Except it is. It's weird that they announced the date and then delayed so quickly but there is no reason not to take ND at their word as to why. There is no conspiracy here and his post was ridiculously childish and angry.

I think there is reason to get upset over the fact that the messaging surrounding this game's release has been terrible and feels dishonest at best. Top it off with the fact that the game will not have multiplayer despite previous reports that it would, and you have right for people to not just accept the "we've determined in the last ~3 weeks that it needs more polish hehe" statement at face value.

I feel like THIS has something to do with it, and is part of why people find it sketchy. They open the floodgates to all the preorders, and then just delay for "polish"? Nah, something's up here.

And your post is just as bad. You are literally implying that they lied about the release date for pre-orders.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I will say I expected to be playing it this holiday. I got my PS4 just for GoW and this. But since GoW which was over a year ago, coming up on two years, I havent touched the system since. At that point I may as well not play TLOU2 and wait for the PS5 5-6 months after the games release lol.

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
You thinking the game should be easy to develop because it is similar to the first game is ludicrous.
So having the characters, themes, major plot points/background, gameplay framework etc.. all in place doesn't make development easier compared to when they 1st created this new IP with nothing? Yeah "ludicrous"..........

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
Delay it and GoT to PS5 release. That's when I'm buying them anyway.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Welp, you got me. TLOU2 has no ambition or scope and totally isn't one of the anticipated games of the generation as the first game blew everyone away.

Do you have something to contribute to the conversation or did you think posting a snarky gif somehow was the right choice?
I didn't say TLOU didn't but you have to take everything to the extreme. My argument was simply that TLOU2 wasn't arguably the biggest game of this generation as another poster claimed. Neither in production or sales but there's no question it's ONE of the biggest games of this generation and one of the most anticipated. It could very well be the best game of this generation.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Spare me the console warring accusations in advance as I fully realize that this game will end up really awesome and a GOTY contender for sure (the original is still one of my favorite games), but lol if this tweet didn't age well. Maybe Neil was really directing this tweet at Jim Ryan who had been hounding him to get a date out there :)

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
Except it is. It's weird that they announced the date and then delayed so quickly but there is no reason not to take ND at their word as to why. There is no conspiracy here and his post was ridiculously childish and angry.

And your post is just as bad. You are literally implying that they lied about the release date for pre-orders.
That's not what I'm implying though, but okay.

Whether the preorders are live now or later makes no difference given that the game is still coming out, lol. Hell, if anything, a delay is better on those super custom editions getting preorders as it means they have more chance to make enough of them and avoid having to do shitty things like cancel peoples' preorders like other teams have done in the past.

I'm just saying it's understandable why people would have an emotional response to another delay when we JUST got a date a few weeks ago. It's a very confusing message from ND. But ultimately nobody should be upset about a delay to the game with the intention of polishing it up. A more polished product is a good thing.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Fine with me, there's a ton of stuff coming out over the next 6 months that was crowding out this game for me anyway. Now I've got next summer clear for it.

3 months isn't too bad but they should have held back on the blowout and release date announcement if the date wasn't set in stone. It's a bad look to announce the delay just 1 month after you've announced the release day imho.
I mean, I'm sure they wouldn't have done that stuff if they thought a delay was likely.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So having the characters, themes, major plot points/background, gameplay framework etc.. all in place doesn't make development easier compared to when they 1st created this new IP with nothing? Yeah "ludicrous"..........

Are you completely unaware of the longer dev times this gen?

Naughty Dog for example released 4 full games last gen. This year just 2 (with one of them being an expansion turned to full game).

Rockstar. 3 open world games last gen. This? RDR2 only.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So..why did they have that event a few weeks ago to announce a release date? Wasn't that this month? They probably knew they weren't meeting this target...

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
What was the point of having a release date then? The push is whatever, but it's been what a month after they announced? How'd they let that happen?

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
Are you completely unaware of the longer dev times this gen?

Naughty Dog for example released 4 full games last gen. This year just 2 (with one of them being an expansion turned to full game).

Rockstar. 3 open world games last gen. This? RDR2 only.
I'm fully aware of it. In fact if you check my comment history you'll see I called R* out on it a few days ago and said their output this gen has been pathetic. My critic of ND has been nowhere near as scathing but they still merit some as well, which is what I'm giving them now.

Corine

Nov 8, 2017
I didn't say TLOU didn't but you have to take everything to the extreme. My argument was simply that TLOU2 wasn't arguably the biggest game of this generation as another poster claimed. Neither in production or sales but there's no question it's ONE of the biggest games of this generation and one of the most anticipated. It could very well be the best game of this generation.

You're totally right not sure why this is being argued.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dude if you're gonna quote me and try to correct me....please be correct. How on EARTH did the team not know this was coming. Are they amateurs or something? AGAIN, my point is that don't pull the "i'll be straight to the point" line with fans only to follow with what is basically bs. Either really be honest or just don't bother giving the whole speech.
Let me give you a few examples:

1- You're working on your game, and you have set a release date. All the content is in, so you're just polishing stuff at this point. Everything is going well, and you feel confident on your date. Suddenly, during testing, you find critical bugs. They seem to affect multiple areas. You start to fix them. But suddenly, you realize that fixing will take a lot of time. It's like a chain reaction: changing something in one area/line of code/etc affects other areas/lines of codes/etc. It's fine if the game ships with minor bugs, but critical/major ones have to be fixed.

2- There are some problems happening in a section of the game. They're not necessarily bugs, but they're not working out as well. Maybe the AI is misbehaving, or the level design is a bit finicky... Something like that. While testing with players (not QA, but players they invite to give feedback), that section is the one with the worst reception. You didn't account for that, because reception before that was good. But fixing will take a lot of time, and it might affect other areas as well.

3- (And trust me, this can happen). Team members start leaving (contract expiring, getting sick, quitting, paternity leave, etc). Replacing them isn't going as fast as planned. Suddenly, you need more time.

You can only anticipate so much in game development. Some things are just impossible to predict. If they were possible, we'd get bug-free games. I know it sucks for the player to expect a date and then realize it's gonna be later. Especially so soon. But these things can happen. I don't know which one was Naughty Dog's, but it's not amateurish. It's just the nature of game development. They don't need to detail exactly what happened, but I can tell you there's no lie there.

Hiraeth

Mar 16, 2018
London, UK
They can take all the time they need, it is frustrating that they're announcing a delay only a month after they first announced the release date though.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
What does poor project management have to do with being developers being "lazy"? But I guess that's harder to argue against than the strawman you've concocted here.
It's not poor project management to make the correct call to delay a release. It's an expensive and painful decision, but not a sign of bad management.

Status
Not open for further replies.