• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At this point I'm just going to wait to play TLoU II and GoT on PS5. I can wait a few months for the best experience.

Nov 2, 2018
Remember when Red Dead Redemption 2 was delayed a solid year? Few months is disappointing but not the end of the world

hEist

Oct 26, 2017
Red Dead Redemption 2 single player release date = October 26, 2018
Red Dead Redemption 2 online (beta) release date = November 27, 2018

Apparently, it does only take one month.

There were multiple follow ups after the "no multiplayer at launch" from both Naughty Dog, and ex-Naughty Dog employees that the multiplayer team had been working on an online mode. They announced Factions at E3 2018. They've likely been working on it this entire time. It's pretty clear, following the evidence, that the online mode wasn't going to be ready at the same time as the single player. So, in order to deliver the "total package" (to some), they're going to delay the game in order to coincide with a multiplayer release.

Think clearly. Think logically.

oczn5pG.gif

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Red Dead Redemption 2 single player release date = October 26, 2018
Red Dead Redemption 2 online (beta) release date = November 27, 2018

Apparently, it does only take one month.

....Are you serious?

RDR2 multiplayer was part of the 'plan' for the game from the beginning - they just couldn't get it out the door in time (and/or wanting people to go through single player first)

That and 'we decided to focus 100% on single player, so no multiplayer (for now) are HUGELY different ideologies in terms of assigning resources.

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
I don't mind honestly. There is a lot of upcoming games that I will still be playing by the time March hits. Outer worlds, Death stranding, Pokémon, call of duty, Star Wars, and luigi's mansion will last me a good deal of time.

And Then there is FF7 remake. I think last of us 2 initially being released in close proximity with ff7 remake could be a reason as to why it's delay.

Oct 27, 2017
My most anticipated game gets extra few months of polish, I have more time for FF7 and Cyberpunk....I don't see a problem here.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
We know MP is being worked on, it's not like they've decided to start after the backlash.

We know it's being worked on as a separate entity completely unrelated to TLOU2. It started as factions, but it's evolved from that and is going to be a standalone title. We know all of this, ND themselves has hammered over and over that it will not be part of TLOU2. It sounds like it'll be a similar feel/possibly same universe, but it's not going to be a part of this game. Let it go folks.

SheriffMcDuck

Oct 27, 2017
As I have said before, TloU part 2 has always striked me as a ps5 title, I was really shocked when I saw the february date, the sooner we come to terms that this is ps5 the better for us people. It would really make sense business wise, a killer app as TloU2 as a launch title.
Consoles like Playstation/Xbox/Nintendo don't need killer apps at launch. They're going to sell out anyways. Sony would much rather release their biggest game ever to the widest install base possible. The game releasing only on PS5 would be cutting their potential sales to literally 10% maximum(more like 3 or 4%) of what they could have been on PS4(with 100M Ps4's out there and by the end of 2020 maybe 4/5M PS5's).

Edit: This is all at launch obviously. The game will still sell years down the line, but obviously for much cheaper.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
So Shawn Layden leaves/is pushed out with a simple terse tweet from the Official PlayStation account and no follow up comments from either them or Shawn himself since, and there are reports of messed up communication lines and such within Sony right now. Then a delay happens on the biggest first party game coming literally weeks after saying it was hitting on February 21, 2020? Something is up over there for sure.
I think the internal power struggle and TLoU 2 are completely separate things.

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
WOW, do you actually believe RDRMP wasn't being worked on prior to that?! Are you serious?
Of course it was.

So was an online mode for The Last of Us Part 2:

The multiplayer team is clearly working on something, as given by the follow up by Naughty Dog:

Then Bruce Straley straight up said they were working on multiplayer:

These are facts. There is a long trail of evidence of The Last of Us Part II having some sort of multiplayer that has been worked on.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't the thread title be:
The Last of Us Part II Delayed to Spring by Jason Schreier/Kotaku

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
We shouldn't be surprised by this but I'm pretty shocked. Gaming media has said TLOU Pt. 2 was supposed to be out this Fall and got pushed to Feb. Naughty Dog also just came out and said they held off on giving a release date because they wanted to make sure it was one that would hit lol. After the delays of Uncharted 4 and the original TLOU I can't say I'm surprised by this.

I will say, with those other delayed games they came out and were excellent so I'm fine with waiting. I also will feel much less pressure as Part II was originally coming out two weeks before FFVIIr so now I will be able to take my time with the game when it does come out.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Of course it was.

So was an online mode for The Last of Us Part 2:

The multiplayer team is clearly working on something, as given by the follow up by Naughty Dog:

Then Bruce Straley straight up said they were working on multiplayer:

These are facts. There is a long trail of evidence of The Last of Us Part II having some sort of multiplayer that has been worked on.

Alright I'm done with this.

"think clearly think logically" take some of your own advice here. They've said definitively "multiplayer will not be a part of last of us 2" the mp team has come out and said they are working on something and we will see it soon, but it is not part of TLOU2. It might be in the same universe, but it's going to be a standalone title separate from TLOU entirely.

Also ffs your post implied it takes approximately 1 month to make an entire MP, nice try spinning away from that though.

GreenEarth

alt account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
This will get another delay to launch with PS5, this is the biggest game they have and not launching day and date with PS5 would be a mistake IMO.
So like when The Last of Us released in June 2013 a few months before release of the PS4 it was also a mistake? Seems like it worked ok for both PS4 and the game.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I'm totally okay with the delay but why the fuck have a State of Play just for the release date trailer just a few weeks ago?

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019

Or......you know, just don't announce games so long before release. I know people hate on Bethesda now but if they nailed one thing it's how they handled Fallout 4's announcement and release.

Now I don't expect Sony to follow that completely, but it can't hurt to just ease down a little on announcing stuff way too early. We've had several examples of that this generation. Sure, they do make for a great show though.

And come on, it was a month ago that they had a special show thingy to announce the release date of the game, among other things. That's real unusual and my guess is this is for MP.

CruJones33Rad

Apr 22, 2019
If these huge studios take an entire generation to release one game we need more studios. How can it take 6 years to produce a product? It's not like it's a new invention, you're writing a story and animating it, not inventing the airplane in 1900.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
We know they are working on a standalone multiplayer game, yes.

We know it's being worked on as a separate entity completely unrelated to TLOU2. It started as factions, but it's evolved from that and is going to be a standalone title. We know all of this, ND themselves has hammered over and over that it will not be part of TLOU2. It sounds like it'll be a similar feel/possibly same universe, but it's not going to be a part of this game. Let it go folks.

And we know the original plan was to include it in the game. Anyway, I said it's the only excuse I would accept but I don't think it's going to happen either.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Well...if that means i won't have The Last of Us and FFVII close to each other, i'm all for it.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
And we know the original plan was to include it in the game. Anyway, I said it's the only excuse I would accept but I don't think it's going to happen either.

yup we know that... and we know once they saw how it was coming out they changed their minds and decided to flesh it out. Let it go.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Can't be complaining about devs having to crunch then moaning about a very slight delay. What's a few months in the grand scheme.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Or......you know, just don't announce games so long before release. I know people hate on Bethesda now but if they nailed one thing it's how they handled Fallout 4's announcement and release.

Now I don't expect Sony to follow that completely, but it can't hurt to just ease down a little on announcing stuff way too early. We've had several examples of that this generation. Sure, they do make for a great show though.

And come on, it was a month ago that they had a special show thingy to announce the release date of the game, among other things. That's real unusual and my guess is this is for MP.

They announced release date what, 5-6 months before release? Is that so far in advance?

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

They already said they won't announce their games too early anymore.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The only reason this feels weird to people is that they had a big launch announcement. Otherwise delays like this are extremely common. I do wonder what the hell is up with Ghosts of Tsushima considering they have been working on that game for the entire generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.