• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Geez. So the PS4/Pro's value just went to shit.

It's about time.

It's like some of you aren't even excited for what next-gen could bring. Happy to play more of the same old games we've been playing. Farcry 22, Fallout 4.5, Asscreed the moon. Let's get some next-gen power behind these games.

Last edited:

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
To many unknowns to even have an opinion yet.

1. Sony develop games exclusively for ps5 that they cant get to run on base ps4 = Excellent.
or
2. Sony develop games exclusively for ps5 that they can easily get to run on a base ps4 but refuse to release on ps4 to get a faster adoption on next gen = bad and disrespectful towards their 100+ mil user base. I can not understand the cheer leading for this approach.

3. Microsoft have a company rule that everything needs to run (with feature parity) on base xbox one for years = kinda bad.
or
4. Microsoft believes that they can get every game running on a base xbox one for years and will do what they can to get them to. No feature parity between versions and whenever they cant get something to run it will be exclusive to next gen = Excellent.

Lets wait and see?
It's not a very complex scenario then, if all Sony has to do is show and prove that there are thing you can do with Ryzen can you can't possibly achieve with Jaguar.

I mean do you expect that to be a difficult feat?

Nov 18, 2017
Ive found so many of Sonys exclusives either completely milquetoast (Horizon, Days Gone, Knack, Uncharted etc.) or good but not my cup of tea (Gravity Rush, Bloodborne) this gen.

TBH I dont think theyre exclusives are gonna be enough to tempt me to hop in at launch. Unless one of those launch titles is Ratchet & Clank 10 or Spiderman 2.

Although if we have full 100% backwards compat with PS4/VR then ill probably just trade the pro in towards it.

Im intruiged to see what the power difference between PS5/XSX is gonna be though, if the PS5 is stronger i could probably just ride my one X for 2 more years to play GamePass.

I guess its too early to really commit to either side at this point, I really hate to see what is a consumer minded decision (not locking titles behind a new piece of hardware) be seen and treated as a negative but yeah it really does give Sony free marketing muscle. Expect to see ONLY ON PS5 a lot in the coming months then.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I fully expect HouseMarque or someone of that caliber to come out with a free exclusive PS+ game at launch to showcase the console. Resogun was amazing and made for an instant showcase for PS4.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
It's about time.

It's like some of you aren't even excited for what next-gen could bring. Happy to play more of the same old games we've been playing. Farcry 22, Fallout 4.5, Asscreed the moon. Let's get some next-gen power behind these games.

It's a one two punch for people that bought a PS4 Pro this past Christmas.

The PS4 pro is basically worthless in less than a year, and the XB1X will be useful for at least two more years.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
2 years gives them time to build up the install base on XSX and get their streaming service up to snuff. I just think they don't want to spend 100+ million on a game and release it to an install base of 3 million or less when they can't even count on those people buying the game at full price.

No, that's totally fine, they can do that, or they are doing that. The question is just gonna be, how many are willing to buy the Series X, if they can just play all games on Xbox One, but we will have to wait and see that.

2. Sony develop games exclusively for ps5 that they can easily get to run on a base ps4 but refuse to release on ps4 to get a faster adoption on next gen = bad and disrespectful towards their 100+ mil user base. I can not understand the cheer leading for this approach.

I can't wait to leave this Gen behind, so this point is not bad and disrespectful, but rather welcoming. Don't you guys remember how CoD, and many other third-party-games looked at the start of the gen? That was just awful. I want people to move as soon as possible, so that all these developers can concentrate only on next gen, and don't waste resources on old things. At one point we have move forward, i don't see why this is a bad thing.

There will come a point, where we dont really need a next gen console, but xbox one and ps4 are not those consoles.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
And if XSX game is more impressive than PS5 games ?

While turning on the one OG?

What will Era say?

Let's just wait for the games.

Whatislove

Jan 2, 2019
It's a one two punch for people that bought a PS4 Pro this past Christmas.

The PS4 pro is basically worthless in less than a year, and the XB1X will be useful for at least two more years.
You know what you're in for when you get a console at the end of the generation. They have the entire generation to act as a backlog.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Cool,business as usual then.
First game I put in my PS3 was exclusive(Motorstorm),and PS4(Killzone Shadow Fall).....first game I play on PS5 will no doubt be a Sony exclusive too.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
And if XSX game is more impressive than PS5 games ?

While turning on the one OG?

What will Era say?

Let's just wait for the games.

I don't think this question can be answered easily, cause that depends on how many people are ready to invest money for better resolution, more fps etc., but the issue is just, they can still play all those games on the console they already own. So, i'm really interested to see how this will go, cause Microsoft will definitely (and hopefully) have some good looking games at start (didn't they say 1-2 games at start?).

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Sony is really stupid if we wont get a Bloodborne 2 for PS5. I mean BB is kind of a cult classic now. Imagine the hype after a BB2 announcement

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

1. Sony develop games exclusively for ps5 that they cant get to run on base ps4 = Excellent.
or

Does anyone truly believe that if Sony was developing a game that can run on both PS5 and PS4, that they will artificially lock it behind PS5, a HW meant to showcase the next gen HW with no install base next to the PS4?

4. Microsoft believes that they can get every game running on a base xbox one for years and will do what they can to get them to. No feature parity between versions and whenever they cant get something to run it will be exclusive to next gen = Excellent.

Given 'scaling' is not a panacea some of these "features" may end up being being how encounters, levels, AI, zones etc are designed. So, if MS is sincere about exploiting what XseX HW has to offer, then it will be best observed in games designed around it starting circa late 2021/2022.

Cross gen games have always been part of the transition and that's not going to change but it is up to the manufacturers to provide their own reasons for why people should purchase the next iteration of their products.

Nov 27, 2017
California
Knack 3 bb

Microsoft could've at least had a holiday/2020 exclusive for those new Xbox games
I'll see what PS5 has before deciding, thank goodness for amazon pre orders

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
No, that's totally fine, they can do that, or they are doing that. The question is just gonna be, how many are willing to buy the Series X, if they can just play all games on Xbox One, but we will have to wait and see that.

Yeah, that's true. Though the majority of Xboxes sold are the regular One and not One X, so I imagine those people will be looking to upgrade at some point since 4k is basically the standard. I wouldn't recommend anyone buy a One X now since next gen Xboxes are this close.

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer this approach rather than the MS
I mean, I don't wanna play Horizon 2 on PS4
I'd be quite disappointed if they used PS4 as a base for the upcoming sequels (Horizon 2, Spidey 2, GoW2). We already know they had to cut stuff because PS4 wouldn't allow them to do it (co-op in Horizon, tons of ideas in GoW based on that documentary clip, etc...).

Getting rid of PS4 shackles will help a ton with those sequels.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If Sony launch with Spiderman 2 or Horizon 2 I will be hyped beyond belief but I honestly don't expect them to turn up until a year or two after which goes in line with what Microsoft are doing with next gen exclusives. Maybe there will be surprise like Demon Souls but honestly I bet if you were a PS4/Pro owner and that remaster was next gen exclusive and not exactly pushing the boundries beyond ultra graphics, you can't deny that would be disappointing a PS5 is required because it's a Demon Souls remaster.

Talking about Playstation Meeting, whatever Microsoft have E3 or otherwise, they are both going to be full of hypetastic reveals so I don't think there will be a problem for consumers not thinking next gen is awesome on both platforms whatever happens with so called year 1 cross gen on Xbox and a mix on PS5. Sony will show stuff far out from launch, Microsoft probably will too. We just want great games right? I'm just glad Microsoft is actually making more new games. We just have to wait and see what stuff is like on next gen consoles and if the games are good or not, using the CPU and SSD does not make a good game.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Crazy right ?
The whole idea that next gen exclusives are anti consumer is just the new hivemind to defend whatever decision your preferred brand takes.
In the end there is nothing pro or anti consumer in both decisions : making or not next gen exclusives. They are both commercial decisions based on different strategies to bring/keep people to companies into their ecosystems.
Exactly. What I have an issue with is the number of times I have seen fans of one brand frame an issue into something else to gain traction for an agenda.

Example: I am a very liberal person.
So this issue of next gen games becomes...
"It's anti-consumer, and it's not fair to leave gamers behind, you must stand up for what is right, you must join the cause and say it's anti-consumer,"...
When it isn't anti-consumer, it's simply a business model Sony, and every other platform holder has had since consoles were a thing. Same with Sega back in the day. In factz Microsoft too, until they chose to adopt a new one because they simply cant grow a big install base out the door at the start of a new gen. (I think PS4 had 2 million sales in launch week).

So... yeah. Anti-Consumer. Just makes me wonder where this crazy idea started, and who wants it to be media framed a certain way. I

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yeah, that's true. Though the majority of Xboxes sold are the regular One and not One X, so I imagine those people will be looking to upgrade at some point since 4k is basically the standard. I wouldn't recommend anyone buy a One X now since next gen Xboxes are this close.

Yeah, but that's still investing 500$ you don't really need to invest to, so it will be interesting to see, how the customers (casual-player) are gonna react to this information.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but that's still investing 500$ you don't really need to invest to, so it will be interesting to see, how the customers (casual-player) are gonna react to this information.
I think they will just stick with what they have but MS doesn't mind that. What MS does mind is losing a GP user or a potential GP user. So, they'll build games with the lowest common denominator in order to keep content coming in for them.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony is really stupid if we wont get a Bloodborne 2 for PS5. I mean BB is kind of a cult classic now. Imagine the hype after a BB2 announcement

It all depends on getting From to make it though, they might not want to do an exclusive over a multiplatform, or they might just want to move on to other things.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those were all bullshit things from a Microsoft that looks nothing like it does today.
a new CEO
Open source contributing
A new Xbox team
A lot more first party studios
Publishing some games on Switch
Customer focused services and features (Game Pass, refunds, gifting, being able to buy games which are part of a subscription for cheaper)
Play Anywhere
Cross play
Keeping Minecraft everywhere
Backwards compatibility at no extra cost
XboxOne X with free X patches

None of this shit would have been done under the previous team.
Compare that to your points above and tell me they are bad things today
You see the funny thing about that though, this entire thread proves it.

This behavior of new games exclusive to new hardware to take advantage of it is the norm. This is now framed as "Anti-Consumer."

But the true disrupter in the industry is gamepass. And yes, its a great deal to have, playing loads of games on the cheap. But that service doesn't promote game ownership, does it? At it's heart, you are perpetually paying for what you will never own.
Cant wait for them to raise their prices and keep it there. Thats more "anti-consumer".

Dont worry, it's worked on Office 365 already. We keep paying for what we use to own, now we will rent Microsoft Office forever.

Anyways, anyone who says launch games dont use the new hardware are liars, or have an indirect fanboy reason to why they hold those views, because quite clearly games like Killzone Shadowfall, Infamous Second Son say otherwise. I hate to imagine how ugly those games would look when made for 256MB of Split Ram the PS3 had.

Last edited:

CobaltBlu

Nov 29, 2017
I like Microsofts strategy here more. PC gaming has existed for a long time, all this hand wringing about cross generational support ruining games seems like nonsense to me.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Is HZD2 was playable on PS4 then it wouldn't be a true next-gen game. The massively better CPU, memory, and SSD in PS5 is going to allow games to do crazy new shit that's not possible on current gen systems.
So guerilla games arent capable of making a true next gen ps5 hzd2 and a scaled back ps4 version?

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
It all depends on getting From to make it though, they might not want to do an exclusive over a multiplatform, or they might just want to move on to other things.

No company will be doing exclusive without manufacturers footing the larger portion of the bill and then splitting the revenue. Plus, these partnerships are more beneficial towards the start of the generation when the install base comparisons is relatively a non-factor (again, only after mutually beneficial financial contract).

Bloodborne is a Sony IP if I am not mistaken, I think it was Sony's mea culpa after royally screwing up on Demon's Souls in hindsight. I do not know whether there will be a second one (since it requires two to tango), but at the least, PS5 owners will most likely be getting DeS Remake.