• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
This year is already entertaining as hell. As a Resetera client, I hope the mods will keep a pro-consumer stance and keep those bloody threads open as long as possible.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
What's to stop MS from having something like this for Xbox One games and simply having a door open to the next loaded environment for the Xbox Series X?
Because it breaks the design. It's not simply one instance of loading but multiple ones across the whole game which needs to be specifically changed just for it to work on XBO.

That's just one example of many different stuff that are affected by load times. As demonstrated by Cerny while presenting Spiderman, the maximum movement speed of your character is dependent on the loading time of the HDD because it has to load the assets of the city. Having an SSD significantly increases the movement speed in this case,

Another example would be Star Citizen which is actually almost unplayable when using an HDD vs an SDD.

AI complexity, NPC count, physics, etc are other stuff to consider when making games to accommodate a Jaguar CPU.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
I'm day one PS5 so I'm good with that

I'm just more curious about PS5 features

Oct 25, 2017
ITT people who know nothing about technology claim that last gen consoles are holding their games back.

There's nothing wrong with Sony's approach of having next gen exclusives, but Microsoft's strategy of leveraging Game Pass subs is not bad either. There's no "right" way to go about the next gen launches and quite frankly it's refreshing to see some actual differentiation between the approaches of the two.

Both Xbox and PlayStation have a place in the market and I hope they both kill it next gen, unlike the losers in here who want domination from their corporation of choice.

Oct 28, 2017
think your gonna be happy

giphy.gif

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Because it breaks the design. It's not simply one instance of loading but multiple ones across the whole game which needs to be specifically changed just for it to work on XBO.

That's just one example of many different stuff that are affected by load times. As demonstrated by Cerny while presenting Spiderman, the maximum movement speed of your character is dependent on the loading time of the HDD because it has to load the assets of the city. Having an SSD significantly increases the movement speed in this case,

Another example would be Star Citizen which is actually almost unplayable when using an HDD vs an SDD.

AI complexity, NPC count, physics, etc are other stuff to consider when making games to accommodate a Jaguar CPU.
But Star Citizen runs on HDD and SDD, and Spiderman runs on PS4 and PS5. Yes it runs better on one than the other, as games will run better on Series X than One.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
The difference in strategies between Sony and MS makes sense. All first party MS games are going to PC also, so cutting off Xbox One X from compat would also cut off a swath of PC specs. Sony doesn't have this concern

Key222

Dec 11, 2017
You can do a gradual transition and still have console exclusives as well. Sony is not completely cutting off the PS4.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Zelda did not play as well from what I hear on Wii U as it did on switch. ANd Mario Odyssey released in the same year(launch window). So did ARMS as well as splatoon 2.

Minus some ports, a lot of the games were developed specifically for switch.

I have BOTW on the Wiiu and beat it there. It plays just fine. There are performance hiccups on both versions.

MarioOdyssey and Arms were months after release. I was talking about launch.

beta

Dec 31, 2019
ITT people who know nothing about technology claim that last gen consoles are holding their games back.

There's nothing wrong with Sony's approach of having next gen exclusives, but Microsoft's strategy of leveraging Game Pass subs is not bad either. There's no "right" way to go about the next gen launches and quite frankly it's refreshing to see some actual differentiation between the approaches of the two.

Both Xbox and PlayStation have a place in the market and I hope they both kill it next gen, unlike the losers in here who want domination from their corporation of choice.

But its true to a certain extent, if you have to run your game on a less powerful console then that means that anything that it can't handle gets scrapped or it gets worked around. Additionally have to program a game for another console increases the development time meaning the game is going to either be later or have less features / QA then a game developed for less consoles.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I have BOTW on the Wiiu and beat it there. It plays just fine. There are performance hiccups on both versions.

MarioOdyssey and Arms were months after release. I was talking about launch.

So as in launch day? Arms came out in like June, couple couple months after switch released. LAUNCH window is like firs 3-4 months because of tiered release for other countries.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's sad that this is something to be hyped about. This has been standard until Microsoft decided to be dumb.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What I wrote earlier. Think of it as a nice gradual transition into next gen that MS is providing for their users. Not a complete cutoff. Most games bought at launch are third party cross gen titles anyway (which I really don't hear complaints about) but imagine if third parties decided to follow what some want here and develop next gen only titles once the new consoles launch. It would be kind of stupid to be quite honest.

But being a platform holder like MS has a different role. You are responsible to showcase your software on the new hardware while rounding out the launch portfolio with your first party to complement the 3rd party.

Nothing wrong to push your new hardware with a few exclusives while the majority of the games will be cross-gen.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
think your gonna be happy

Does this person have a good track record?

Either way, I did expect Bluepoint's game to be a launch title. Demon's Souls, Ratchet & Clank 2 and Godfall in November, Gran Turismo 7 in December and Horizon 2 in February 2021 — that's quite the awesome start.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
But being a platform holder like MS has a different role. You are responsible to showcase your software on the new hardware while rounding out the launch portfolio with your first party to complement the 3rd party.

Nothing wrong to push your new hardware with a few exclusives while the majority of the games will be cross-gen.
How do you explain MS releasing their games on PC with infinite range of specs.

Dec 31, 2017
Well, no, it would mean Sony want to make exclusive software drive hardware sales, and get people to adopt PS5 more quickly as a result.

Your logic doesn't really make sense, although I do agree that people are being kinda stupid about this whole thing. There will be Xbox One Series X games that blow minds at launch, the fear mongering is just weird.
Why doesn't it make sense though? If games look just as good but I still get to play the same game with my friends who waited on the 200$ Xbox One S, wouldn't that make MS' decision better? If exclusivity doesn't make games look better, than its really only exclusive to force people to upgrade.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
But Star Citizen runs on HDD and SDD, and Spiderman runs on PS4 and PS5. Yes it runs better on one than the other, as games will run better on Series X than One.
It doesn't. When you play SC on HDD it looks like a glitchy mess with it freezing every couple of seconds to load assets.

It's like a car with a Ferrari frame but a Honda engine. The game looks very pretty but it's not really using higher end features to full potential.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017

Either way, I did expect Bluepoint's game to be a launch title. Demon's Souls, Ratchet & Clank 2 and Godfall in November, Gran Turismo 7 in December and Horizon 2 in February 2021 — that's quite the awesome start.
It'll be a damn solid start. Can't wait to try out that new controller too. Hopefully the D pad is better for fighting games.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Guess it does make sense for them to do this.

Getting a series x for game pass and 3rd party stuff. If ps5 stuff worked on the PS4 pro I'd prob skip it and play the few games a year from 1st party on the pro.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
It doesn't. When you play SC on HDD it looks like a glitchy mess with it freezing every couple of seconds to load assets.

It's like a car with a Ferrari frame but a Honda engine. The game looks very pretty but it's not really using higher end features to full potential.

This was situation 2 years ago, I don't see it being any better now as game is all about that SSD...

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo

Been hearing GT7 is going to be a launch game but who knows for sure.

Stoopkid

Oct 27, 2017

First to leak the ps5 dev kit.