• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Would the major IPs Sony is launching this year not count as cross gen? Or are we to believe they have another major IP or Big Budget game coming to PS5 this year they haven't told us about?

Why would they be cross-gen? They're PS4 games. PS5 will have its own games when they're announced including major IP and big budget games, which they haven't announced.

Kingdizzi

Banned
Aug 11, 2019
User warned: Trolling
That's disappointing to hear, pretty anti-consumer to say the least. I have not got a console since PS2, so why Sony don't think about people like me I do not know. If you don't want my money Sony, keep doing what you're doing.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Not talking from the pov of game tech but market reach.
Talk about market reach. PS4 has a 106m base and rising, they will reach a similar number in PS5. They are also expanding their reach with streaming services. I don't think Xbox One has even scraped 50m. Microsoft is not in a position to be rewarded in a unique manner, just because their future games are also last-gen games.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
It's almost like being market leader for 3 out of the 4 gens they've already been part of has given Sony a bit of an idea as to how to approach releasing a console.

Microsoft's approach is utterly baffling to me.

MS now is less about selling you a console and more about selling you a service.

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
Microsoft going much more pro consumer this gen and I'm 100% okay with it. Sony relays heavily on hardware sales to push software so this makes perfect sense for them. I do think it's a bummer sony didnt reserve TLoU2 or Ghost for ps5 instead of remastered editions.

They both rely heavily on hardware sales. If people arent buying xboxes they arent buying software. Both will be pushing services on other platforms too.

Oct 28, 2019
I would assume there is a game or two that they have not told us about until the PS5 reveal.

Just because you will be able to play God of War on a PS5 doesn't make it cross-gen.
I don't understand how it wouldn't be cross gen if it also released on PS4 and is not back comparable.
But Sony could have a surprise, but that's just a guess.

Not really.

They are PS4 games.

PS5 will be able to play them due to backwards compatibility.

I feel if a game comes out on both PS4 and PS5 it's cross gen.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
That's disappointing to hear, pretty anti-consumer to say the least. I have not got a console since PS2, so why Sony don't think about people like me I do not know. If you don't want my money Sony, keep doing what you're doing.

Huh what kind of console do you have? Because no one suppored consoles late like Sony with PS2, PS3 and now PS4.

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
Uh I think you have it backwards?

This would be like if Apple went out of their way to keep supporting the iphone 5S or something. At some point its not unreasonable to just ask folks to upgrade

Nope. Sony look at the past with what worked and keep doing the same and thats ok.

Microsoft look towards the future by building up their ecosystem across multiple platforms, Pc being the biggest and Gamepass is another beast in the making.

The Xbox x might not beat the ps5 in hardware sales but it might in software sales

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
Microsoft strat is more consumer friendly in transition while Sony want's to show case what it's next gen box can do.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is great news. I personally need exclusive games that aren't possible on current consoles as a reason to upgrade at launch.

I have to wonder if there's any point in a cheaper next gen Xbox below the Series X when you consider the Xbox One X will play games aimed at a Jaguar/1.3tflop base at dynamic 4k anyway.

The Series X will obviously play the same games at native 4k/60fps but it's going to be a very tough sell to anyone over a couple of million hardcore fans considering it will more than likely be $500.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Nope. Sony look at the past with what worked and keep doing the same

Microsoft look towards building up their ecosystem. The Xbox x might not beat the ps5 in hardware sales but it might in software sales

They're not even trying to -sell- software. They're all in on a subscription service at this point.

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft going much more pro consumer this gen and I'm 100% okay with it. Sony relays heavily on hardware sales to push software so this makes perfect sense for them. I do think it's a bummer sony didnt reserve TLoU2 or Ghost for ps5 instead of remastered editions.
Who's to say that the games won't be updated for PS5 for free?

They already showcased Spider Man and GT Sport on PS5 with improvements so they are already halfway there.

Schwinner

Oct 28, 2017
MS now is less about selling you a console and more about selling you a service.
Yep. Ever since Microsoft started putting their games on PC with the Play Anywhere program it really has been all about that. Making their ecosystem larger and stretch out to as many devices as possible. It is a different strategy. If people dislike that strategy then they don't understand that Microsoft's and the Xbox's teams goal is way different from Sony's.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
That's the obvious, smart well duh decision.
I mean, Why would I bother investing in a new console day one if there weren't!?!

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to have both companies taking different approaches. As a consumer I love options, and I won't limit myself unless one of these is just unreasonable. Consoles aren't that expensive considering what you get out of them.

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
Complete edition with next-gen improvements (including eventual dlc) of TLoU II is given. Maybe shortly after PS5 launch.
The PS5 has BC for PS4 - such an edition is a waste of resources. Remasters were prominent this generation because the PS4/X1 were the first consoles on an x86 architecture. They died down as most of the profitable franchises moved over. This is not going to be the case this upcoming generation.

Expect more support patches for games that came out on PS4/X1 having to now run on PS5/XSX. Especially for live or service titles. Not as many as one would hope for at launch, but tons will get it within the first year.

Tribal24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Sony look at the past with what worked and keep doing the same

Microsoft look towards building up their ecosystem. The Xbox x might not beat the ps5 in hardware sales but it might in software sales

But looking at it like that, how can it beat it at software sales if systems need things to move for people to buy them? I like how a majority of people on resetera think Sony's not competing. But they are they do have their own services which are growing and those people who bought a PS4 will transition to PS5

Mecha

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
I'm very happy with this on both fronts. I always have bought PS first so now I can with out feeling blocked on playing MS newer titles on my X1X (can't wait for Halo Infinite).

My only fear with this situation is that games that also play on the Xbox family will be limited by trying to maintain playability on the OG Xbox One. My theory is that third party will drop last gen support faster or drop the Xbox One family support before PS4, unless MS enforce it to games that play on XSX.

It will certainly be very interesting how the general public perceive both strikingly different strategies.

I for one couldn't be happier for new hardware this year.

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
But in the No Xbox Exclusives for First Two Years thread, mad people were like "Sony Too!", trying to handwave away anyone that suggested differently. Even those that brought up that it was a new approach for Xbox themselves as they had Xbox One only exclusives at launch.

Anyways, I'm glad Sony seems to be taking a different approach. As many said before, I want to experience new games that wouldn't be possible on older tech. Cross-gen will happen. But as long as Sony mixes in PS5 exclusives, I'm excited.

Oct 28, 2019
There can be other games that are exclusive?

Who's saying they won't have cross gen games?
If it's not a major title that sells systems, does it matter?
Backwards compatibility is NOT a cross-gen game. A cross-gen game will be something like Assassins Creed Black Flag.
Yeah I get that, but if Last of Us 2 is released next year for both PS4 and PS5 and the only difference is detail/frame rate/resolution does that not make it cross gen?