• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ArchStanton

Oct 29, 2017
Bloodborne was a partnership with From. I'm sure if From was up for taking on exclusive contract work again Sony would gladly pay them to do it. Last I checked From has successfully made games without a Japan Studio producer in the past. Only obstacle here is From getting too big.

Days Gone was a big budget swing for Bend. It did ok, but clearly Sony's internal metrics on reception indicate that a sequel isn't advisable.

When they cancelled the Asmussen project within Santa Monica early in the PS4 generation they laid off half the studio, this forum clutched its pearls that Santa Monica might be shut down, then a few years later they release a GOTY winning reboot of the God of War IP.

Sony isn't even laying people off at Bend, at least not in meaningful numbers, they just don't want another Days Gone. The team is still a comparatively big team, so their next game is going to be a big budget project.

Gravity Rush is exactly the kind of game Sony should stop putting big effort into, yes. It doesn't fit the cost:benefit needs of a company with a global platform to support. I'd like to see them work on building a Japan team that services a similar under-served niche. Astro Bot and Gran Turismo actually both fit well in that regard, as platformers are under-represented outside of Nintendo's lineup and big budget racing games are scarce. But this wasn't something they'd solve with the existing Japan Studio. Team Gravity like to make what they make, and that is a very niche kind of game. Ueda isn't someone Sony can continue to bankroll for so little output generation after generation. The rest of the Studio was basically producers who kept picking super niche projects with small developers to kick around unless they were handed something on the scale of Bloodborne by WWS.

Growing ASOBI into a reliably high quality platformer studio should be step one. Concurrent to that they should look to pick out a chance to build step two. I know a lot of people were probably hoping that was another KojiPro project, but the reception of Death Stranding was as mixed as Days Gone so it makes sense if Sony feels hesitant to rush headlong into it. Pursuing Ikumi Nakamura's next project would be a good fit for it in my opinion. Do a similar thing as Death Stranding, provide the engine and substantial support, but as a bridge to internalizing the team if its successful, like the traditional Sony studio acquisition model.

They have a global platform to support and unlike the PS3 generation and the early PS4 generation they now know that their production process can get big blockbuster success from more than just Naughty Dog. In the last generation they hit that mark with Guerilla, Insomniac, and Sucker Punch. They're giving Bend another shot at doing the same. That is their focus, and why shouldn't it be? There is clearly huge consumer demand, very little competition, and they have a clear understanding of how to build those kinds of games.

Beyond that the actual smaller "indie" type games just aren't a viable market to fund exclusives in. In the early PS4 period they could offer platform value that outstripped the loss in audience for being exclusive.

Being PS4 only then meant getting paid and platformed by Sony and delaying Xbox and PC ports by maybe a year.

Now the alternative of taking Game Pass money and still being day and date on everything is there. Or taking Epic's deal and only skipping on Steam while hitting all the consoles. Or if its a fit Apple's platform and hitting a larger audience for more money as sales are a non-thing on Arcade with a similar timed exclusivity to what Sony can offer.

Plus forgoing platforms now isn't just skipping Xbox and Steam. The Switch is an indie money factory so any exclusivity that locks out a Switch release could cost a developer literally millions of sales.

Why should Sony spend in/chase a market that has so clearly moved on from what they're able to offer? They'll still have all the big indies. They can still platform some and work out secondary deals for the ones that take Epic's partnership (which they've already been doing), but it isn't a viable core strategy for differentiating the platform from Xbox/PC.

The big difference maker for them is blockbuster single player games, so why wouldn't they double down on blockbuster single player games, and projects like Returnal that try to couple those production values to more varied gameplay loops?

Pretty thoughtful analysis.

goldblum

Oct 28, 2017
London
i don't understand why they wouldn't have a team doing pre-production for whatever their next game would be while finishing up tlou2. I guess it could be a function of their crunch-heavy process for making games, which means they need all hands on board to push each project out the door?

They have been working on Factions though? We don't know the scope of that, only that it's likely a standalone game.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Surely they have a team remastering TLOU2 right? Why not use that to get the hang of the PS5?

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
My 2 cents on what was said in the podcast: Is it me or it's weird for a company the size of ND to not have a secondary pre-production team/Director?
It looks like they needed everyone to pitch in to finish TLOU2.

ND now has new generation of game directors who handled Lost Legacy and TLOU2, I think studio will need to give them some new IPs to work on while Neil is doing his things.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not saying the remake would be cheap, it's about the relative comparison. (Which was the original Uncharted).
Yea I guess our relative points were different, I was contrasting remake vs. something TLL scoped in cost.

As Jason mentions on the podcast — the remake is intended as one sku with TLOU2 on the PS5.
This actually answers why they'd absolutely need/want Remake to be handled by NDD - if you're going to release a remade collection, you better make it feel like one. I'm still dubious on commercial relevance of doing the remake - but I guess there's enough people that will pay again just to get Raytracing in the two games...

Osiris397

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I only buy half or less of what Schreier posted, but yeah I know no one circulates lies about Naughty Dog (lol).

Neil Druckmann has already pretty much said he's a clown and it wouldn't surprise me if he does again at some point when he comes up for air out of the production environment. I caught myself before bursting out in laughter after Schreier said that Jeff Ross couldn't know what Sony's plans for Bend were because it was "..above his head." (My first though was if it's above a studio GD's head what are you getting you're info from Jim Ryan? /lol/). Talk about someone with grandiosity issues. Schreier most likely got his information from lower level people that though they heard something and he spun it in into this large grand fabricated controversy focused on his constant obsession.

I never have thought it was a coincidence that Schreier publishes his ND hit pieces always right when they waist deep in production.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
The Last of Us Remake makes no sense at all
Why not? Gets the game up to spec with TLOU2 so when Part 3 comes around they're all on a similar level visually and mechanically. I'd LOVE to replay TLOU1 with visuals/animations/game mechanics at the same level as Part 2. It's still a good game even now but why not have it really polished and improved again?

Raigor

May 14, 2020
If the new stuff is still in pre-production, then ND will most likely release Factions 2 in 2021/2022, 2 years later TLOU Remake and maybe another project by the end of the gen?

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
I only buy half or less of what Schreier posted, but yeah I know no one circulates lies about Naughty Dog (lol).

Neil Druckmann has already pretty much said he's a clown and it wouldn't surprise me if he does again at some point when he comes up for air out of the production environment. I caught myself before bursting out in laughter after Schreier said that Jeff Ross couldn't know what Sony's plans for Bend were because it was "..above his head." (My first though was if it's above a studio GD's head what are you getting you're info from Jim Ryan? /lol/). Talk about someone with grandiosity issues. Schreier most likely got his information from lower level people that though they heard something and he spun it in into this large grand fabricated controversy focused on his constant obsession.

I never have thought it was a coincidence that Schreier publishes his ND hit pieces always right when they waist deep in production.
>Schreier most likely got his information from lower level people that though they heard something and he spun it in into this large grand fabricated controversy focused on his constant obsession.

He wasn't saying it was in the cards, he was saying people had that fear.

Bend's developers feared they might be absorbed into Naughty Dog, and the studio's leadership asked to be taken off the Uncharted project.

A studio's head saying it wasn't the plan, doesn't alleviate those worries because it wouldn't have been his call.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
If the new stuff is still in pre-production, then ND will most likely release Factions 2 in 2021/2022, 2 years later TLOU Remake and maybe another project by the end of the gen?
I have a suspicion that TLOU remake is releasing end of the year or early next year. They want to finish it quickly to get developers over to the next game as it is about to leave pre production very soon according to Evan Wells. You can think of it as an Uncharted Lost Legacy scope, same engine, quite a bit of reused assets (especially as ND even recreated some of the scenes of the original in TLOU2), but this time with the advantage of a remake that the story and gameplay beats are already done, and even performance capture is apparently going to be reused according to Jason (will be interesting to see how the tech compares), so it really doesnt sound like something that will take long to make.

ND MP game was in development for like years now and is apparently in polishing phase.

So after that they can transition majority of the studio to the next project and release it in like 2024 I guess, or in other words, a year behind schedule of lsat gen (if you dont consider the Remake and Multiplayer game as their "first major project for PS5"

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I have a suspicion that TLOU remake is releasing end of the year or early next year.

This feels too early, Factions 2 is the one releasing later this year or next year since they are in polishing phase.
Don't see how they are going to have both releasing in the same year honestly, when they shipped TLOU 2 less than one year ago.

idk about Remake still being 2-3 years away. Probably a 2022 title, not long after Season 1 of the show wraps up.

I'm just adding 1 year thanks to COVID slowing down everything.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
Has it been confirmed that the multiplayer game they're working on is Factions? It's weird in the article that he didn't say Factions even though we all know Factions is a thing.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
This feels too early, Factions 2 is the one releasing later this year or next year since they are in polishing phase.
Don't see how they are going to have both releasing in the same year honestly, when they shipped TLOU 2 less than one year ago.
They can put Factions 2 in the collection as well to boost value.
And Factions 2 is developed separately from TLOU Remake, the latter is essentially done by the moved over TLOU2 team, but this time with the work being far faster.
But we will see I guess, only a few months until whatever show Sony has to announce these stuff, but a 250 dev team (assuming Factions 2 is like 50 developers based of what we know) working on a Remake for a year while possibly the same size took less time for making a new 9 hour adventrue in Uncharted The Lost Legacy really doesnt sound far fetched to me (especially as there was some work being done on it for 2 years prior to that as well).

Osiris397

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Personal Attacks Against Another Member Over Multiple Posts
A studio's head saying it wasn't the plan, doesn't alleviate those worries because it wouldn't have been his call.
Still...a studio head would know where a "journalist" leech simply wouldn't have the skinny on that type of info based on access and social circles in general.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Still...a studio head would know where a "journalist" leech simply wouldn't have the skinny on that type of info based on access and social circles in general.
I really want you to step back and say "journalist leech" out loud while remembering that you're talking about video games news articles

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Again, the reporting was from asking people how they felt.
It's a lot easier to get that information than it is to get information of future plans.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Hey Neil, just want to let you know that i loved TLOU2. Good luck for your next game