• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Good. He deserves better than what I imagine Kotaku is capable of giving him in many ways. Excited to hear where he lands.

Congratulations, Jason!!

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
My girlfriend bought me a copy of Blood, Sweat and Pixels and that was when I started to pay more attention to Jason.
Many things have been said about the man but I think we can all agree that he has done some good work and we should all wish him well in his future endeavors.

I'm looking forward to your new book. I hope time with your child will be wonderful and fulfilling. All the best, jschreier

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Oh, that. Here;

www.resetera.com

[BBC] In China, Uighurs 'moved into factory forced labour' for foreign brands Apple, Google, Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony

It was recommended that I cross post this from EtcetEra for awareness, particularly as we move towards a new generation of consoles. Letting people make informed decisions about where they're willing to put their money is the best thing anyone can do here. Here's the latest on the various...
Check page 11.
Many posters including I, informed him about the report and there was an empty "promise" or more like a respond. A poster from the thread says that they got a respond from Jason and a month later; zero coverage or mention.

So get this, you are a claimed gaming "journalist". BBC reports that literal slave labour from China's concentration camps provides for gaming giants, Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft and Google. The thread about the report gets pinned on a gaming site you are promoted and a member of. People alert you because, again, you are constantly promoted in the forum, so much so that sounds like you are the only gaming "journalist" that exist. So people trust you to report one of the biggest news and that's why they alert you.
And you... don't... report... slave... labour... from... concentration... camps. Camps that got people killed, organ harvested, tortured, raped and prisoned based on race and religion.
And you don't report.

What would you called that?
Oh my lord. Is this serious? Are you trolling?

Because he doesn't report something he is then now an accomplice? You know how many reports journalist don't do?

What am I reading. My brain hurts.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy for him. It's always a good thing to leave a company that doesn't appreciate you.

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
I've never been a Kotaku reader but I really enjoy Splitscreen. I will definitely listen to the new podcast and hopefully him leaving Kotaku is good for him, as I really have come to enjoy him on the podcast.

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
But why do you think he avoid reporting slave labour and concentration camps? Does that because that does not involve "workers"?

The reach in this post
giphy.gif

Anyways, congrats Jason!

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
Congrats Jason, I'm sure you will find success in the next chapter of your career.

Just wanted to add that I don't share the sentiment of many here about Kotaku, while I agree Jason was integral to Kotaku there still is a lot of great and talented people there. I hope Jason's departure helps by giving a message and they sort their parent company issues.

Press Sneak F*** Forever

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
They're not jokes. This is the end of Kotaku, a site that was killed by a company that did not care for their employees and had no desire for their employees to do the thing they were originally hired for.
There are still good people working there. Folks should save their RIPs for the day the site actually dies. Posting stuff like that now is an insult to Stephen Totilo and the rest of the staff.

Oct 27, 2017
There are still good people working there. Folks should save their RIPs for the day the site actually dies. Posting stuff like that now is an insult to Stephen Totilo and the rest of the staff.

Yeah I agree with this. I worry about the ramifications of the site shutting down for all of its current staff. Realistically Jason's output has been pretty slow especially since his paternity leave started. I am sure the site knows what kind of traffic it can generate without Jason.

Adam Tyner

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I agree with this. I worry about the ramifications of the site shutting down for all of its current staff.
G/O didn't kill Deadspin even without a single warm body on-staff, so I'm sure Kotaku isn't in any danger of being shuttered anytime soon. Of course, there are plenty of ways that Spanfeller and company could make life miserable or completely torpedo the brand without shutting down Kotaku.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Excited for what he does next, presumably a site with management that doesn't have an issue with his investigative journalism (it's why Cecilia D'Anastasio left).

To those saying the site is dead y'all really need to read Heather Alexandria's work.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Thank you for your hard work and good luck with the future Jason!

Not many single individuals in this industry can claim to have had an impact on this business as a whole, but like your recent R* article about improved work culture shows, you might have actually helped in making some lives better.

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
Can't say I really cares of what he writes, but wish him luck regardless.

Corum

Oct 26, 2017
Sad to see him leave Kotaku but the writing's been on the wall for a while now. I'm interested to see where he ends up next, whether that's a brand new venture or something else.

There's a subreddit for Jason's new podcast, Triple Click.

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll keep Splitscreen in my podcast feed for now. There are some decent people still working there that I wouldn't mind hearing from.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Don't know if it's already been posted but the first episode of the podcast drops next Thursday.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
1) Thank you for the kind words.

2) Miss me with that "Kotaku is dead" and "no reason to read Kotaku anymore" shit. There are many hard-working, talented people still at Kotaku, and nothing you've ever read from me would be possible without them.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

2) Miss me with that "Kotaku is dead" and "no reason to read Kotaku anymore" shit. There are many hard-working, talented people still at Kotaku, and nothing you've ever read from me would be possible without them.
It's had a long history and it's not done yet. Hopefully one day it'll be owned by a company who gives a shit but yeah that's not anyone's fault who works there

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

ReasonableMadeupDiplodocus-size_restricted.gif

Huge props for keeping it real Jason.

Jssom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

1) Good luck on your next career step.

2) Can you address the Uighurs situation? Are you gathering info to write a piece or you can't cover the story for whatever reason?

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very glad to know that my two fav game reporters, Jason Schreier and Takashi Mochizuki, now work at the same place

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017

Genuinely you are the reason many people visited Kotaku. You leaving has a huge gaping hole in folks visiting the site now. Given the way shitvseemed to be going down, you getting out seems like s smart move. Hope some of the rest of the good guys still there manage to land on their feet too.

Ffog

Feb 5, 2018
Jason has always reported on video games as an industry like a (top quality) business reporter would so I think this is a good fit. It'll be interesting to see how his reporting goes with a mainstream news publication rather than enthusiast press. Well done and looking forward to reading your work jschreier