• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
960x0.jpg

You can listen to the podcast here.. its an hour long. Jason interviews Luke Smith and Mark Noseworthy from Bungie:

Credit for a transcript summary: https://old.reddit.com/r/DestinyThe...reier_interviews_luke_smith_and_mark/eqzvzr9/

- Destiny is now officially being called an action MMO. It doesn't mean they want 40 players doing a public event because of technical limitations but they want to replicate this feeling on a smaller scale. Playing an activity and running into a group of other players and teaming up is something Bungie wants to see happen more often.

- Started re-enhancing RPG part with Forsaken and will take a step further in the fall.

- They want the social game in a better place than it is today

- They want you to be able to customize your character/allow tinkering and make choices that matter thus deepening the RPG elements

- Luke - "In the future game, you're going to collect the modifications independently of the armour. So you'll have armour as the base thing with some stats on it, like The Taken King's Tier12 but with bigger stat ranges, and then you'll be looking for mods. Finding a mod is like adding it to your collections. "I found this new set of armour, I got the enhanced Fusion Rifle loader perk, now I'm going to get the energy up on my gloves and slot that in." That's motivating in different ways, so it's not just the power game overriding everything. The power game is still going to be important going forward, but that's an opportunity to keep on refining it. "

- Artifact slots are completely new (Might not be the final name come launch). There are about 25 different new mods each season with the artifact slot. Some range from Vex can drop tons of glimmer (Which bungie wants something to be of use instead of always holding 100k) to throwing a void grenade that creates a melting point effect on enemies.

- Luke Smith - "We haven't talked a lot about things like difficulty, but difficulty in general is the razor that drives creativity. Historically in Destiny, we have not provided difficulty options that would incentivise creativity and, as a part of build crafting, that's something we have to do with Destiny. "

- Luke got a 3D-printed Thorn from Jason Jones after TTK with a hand-written note essentially saying 'you took a game that was in trial and tribulation and helped boost it back to where it needed to be'.

- Their work with Destiny 2 is not done. They are looking into ways to make the game's file size smaller and dont think they can grow the size indefinitely.

[Mark] A part of us doubling down and saying we're an MMO means we're going to lean deeper into RPG and Social, but it's not so much a dramatic game design change for us. It's about us defining our space and our corner, and being upfront about what the game is. Destiny has had an identity crisis - we've seen it and thought it internally. Is it a Halo game with a campaign and some diet endgame, is it WoW with guns, or is it something else in it's own space? We weren't making a decision, we were trying to be a bit of everything to everyone, but now that we're in control of our own Destiny we're saying 'no, this is what we are'. In the past there was, how is a "normal" person going to walk into the store and buy it off the shelf, sit down and have a great story campaign for $60? That's not compatible with that. What we're saying now is, that person doesn't want Destiny, and Destiny isn't for that person.

- Mark - "The person who is going to play Destiny is someone who's going to choose to make it one of their preferred hobbies, join the incredible community and play it as little or as much as they want. That is not Jonny two-sticks from Wal-mart who buys two games a year, who gets Madden and GTA and maybe picks up Destiny. That person is not buying Destiny and we're totally complete with that. There are millions of people who love this game, we love this game, and we're going to make the game for those people. We'll trust that when some of them stop playing that they'll come back in the future for a new season/expansion etc."

- Luke - "Without thinking too much about the profit margins and making the numbers work, it's certainly easier to make work when you're self publishing. That aligns really well with 'hey, let's focus on the people who really love this game'. 'Let's build something for our core players that we're all going to love, and then make it easier for them to recommend to their friends.' "

- Luke - "A bunch of what we end up doing with Destiny comes from the inspiration the team creates. So, last fall, a couple of our lighting artists had some slack-time and took a interior D1 space on the Moon and re-lit it. They sent it over and it looked awesome. I had little nerd-chills, and thought about how I hadn't been there in a long time. Destiny taking place in our solar system means it inspires that curiosity, reason to go back and makes you wonder what's happened over the past 5 years. That re-lit image made it feel like an opportunity. "

- Mark - "We've made significant technology improvements to Destiny. The priority of a bunch of these initiatives was about collaboration and content creation. We got those things up into flight back in 2016, and now we're getting to a place where those long-term initiatives are coming into land and we're excited to keep making this thing. "

[Jason] So do you guys have that grand Marvel Cinematic Universe plan?

[Luke] The MCU is a high bar and very unique in media; I'm not going to say we have a 5-year plan. What we do have is a couple of images that the team has built over the years -striking emotional images(Concept Art)- that point to where we have to get to.

- Cross-play is definitely a part of their vision and they are taking the necessary steps to achieve it. They don't know when it will land though.

- Sony visited in January as soon as they were in control of their future and Bungie told them their vision of the future. They were super supportive and thought it sounded awesome. Jason pushed them about it happening at the last minute as seen on the ViDOC and Stadia images and Mark responded "It just took everyone some time to get on board but Sony was very supportive since their visit in January"

- They've talked about dropping the 2 from Destiny 2 but they think its a good reminder of where they started and how far they need to go with the game. Destiny 2 is here to stay as business is unfinished. They are very excited about the future.

- Destiny 1 is being supported by Bungie's own money right now. It is not a big community anymore and is pretty small. If at some point, numbers don't add up and doesn't make sense to keep d1 running, they may pull the plug. As of right now though, they have no plan to do that.

- Titan and the Archeology was the last place they built for D2. The amazing futuristic space is another big place of opportunity.

- The new pursuits tab recently added received bad feedback. There is already a bunch of stuff completed to fix it such as a keybind on PC for easy use.

-Work-life balance is very important at Bungie, and different strategies are being used to make there be not as much pressure on developers 100% of the time. For example, there were two teams for this year's Annual Pass, where team A did Season of the Forge, while team B worked on Season of the Drifter. Then team A worked on Season of Opulence, basically playing leap frog to have a better work-flow.

[Jason -] When are you bringing Vex Mythoclast back?

[Luke] The closest thing we've talked about to Vault of Glass was in an update I wrote when we seized control of our own Destiny. It's really poignant about how we're building this action MMO and a single evolving world that you can play anytime anywhere, and that not everything is lost in the dark corners of time.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I remember Jason mentioning earlier on the podcast that Bungie always had this internal debate to treat Destiny as "Halo with RPG elements" or "WoW with guns" and that the latter has won out

Ragona

Oct 26, 2017
Will there be a Destiny 3 or will this just be their base for the next few years ala warframe?

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Will there be a Destiny 3 or will this just be their base for the next few years ala warframe?

They make it sound like D3 isn't coming in 2020 but they haven't explicitly said that either. Though I doubt they would want to say that D2 would be effectively dead in a year while talking about their plans for this year to get people back in.

There were rumours from a reliable leaker about D3 coming out before Bungie split from Activision, but those plans might have changed since then.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Since its turning into mmo they should bring back d1 raids in d2. Doesn't have to be story related can just be events for players to enjoy again.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
- Mark - "The person who is going to play Destiny is someone who's going to choose to make it one of their preferred hobbies, join the incredible community and play it as little or as much as they want. That is not Jonny two-sticks from Wal-mart who buys two games a year, who gets Madden and GTA and maybe picks up Destiny. That person is not buying Destiny and we're totally complete with that. There are millions of people who love this game, we love this game, and we're going to make the game for those people. We'll trust that when some of them stop playing that they'll come back in the future for a new season/expansion etc."

That's a great quote. Only thing I'd recommend to them is some improved onboarding for lapsed players. As someone who came into Forsaken-era Destiny after having not played since vanilla D2, it's an entirely different game, and even as an engaged player it's a tough nut to crack.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Not dropping the "2" from Destiny 2 was the right decision. Unless they plan on updating the game or re-releasing it with the content from D1 included, that would be silly.

Oct 27, 2017
Now that it's officially an MMO we can expect LFG, and light levels to actually be something more meaningful than the hamster wheel it currently is.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
I hope that's a hint they'll finally be doing something with the Archaeology on Titan, that place is huge and ripe for exploring! And I want to finally find out more about the that huge fish monster, is it hive or a species native to Titan? Exciting times for the future of Destiny.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Johnny Two-sticks is now my favorite saying for a GTA/Madden-Bro lol

Going back to RPG roots and coming up with creative builds is what this franchise has needed for a long time, glad to see they are headed back to that. Without it the end-game has always felt dull and boring.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That's a great quote. Only thing I'd recommend to them is some improved onboarding for lapsed players. As someone who came into Forsaken-era Destiny after having not played since vanilla D2, it's an entirely different game, and even as an engaged player it's a tough nut to crack.

They talked a lot about this in their sit down with Giant Bomb on Tuesday night. They acknowledged it's an issue, but mentioned how it's something they're exploring solutions to.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Very encouraging.

Clearly, Activision as chasing Jonny Two-sticks with their model.

Can't wait for more guardians to join in September, only to be eaten by the monster known as Kadey in the crucible.

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds all good but it all reads like it will be a long time after Shadowkeep before they get the game where they want it to be.

ejo

Oct 27, 2017
Hawaii
in Luke we trust? more seriously, i like the RPG ideas, but really can give a rat's ass about social. hope they look out for us introverts as well.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean it was clear that destiny always should have been built as an mmo. But saying you're just going to make deeper rpg mechanics isnt making it an mmo. And in fact I'd say that's going to open up a lot of scrutiny for people evaluating destiny as an mmo, because its only going to be one in name.

Last edited:

Wreck We Em

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Excited for them to delve deeper into the RPG side of the game. I also hope this means new subclass abilities get added more often

Callandor

Oct 27, 2017
It's mixed in with the panel discussion here, but they talk a lot about Destiny (and Warframe) as service games and the challenges presented by that.

It would have been really interesting if Jeff had pushed Rebb Ford more on community engagement, developer relations with the community, etc., as that's her actual role at Digital Extremes and it could have led to an interesting back-and-forth between her and the Bungie peeps. It felt like she quickly got overshadowed in the returning-player-onboarding segment.

Bungie has always been somewhat secretive (though less so in the last year+) in their design process; seeing them take some inspiration from DE's Warframe devstreams as they move forward would be neat.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018

Even as a casual player, that's the right approach. MMOs, lite are full on, succeed or fail based on keeping their core, monthly users engaged. Those are the people most likely to buy every expansion, spend on cosmetic DLC and other microtransactions and so on.

The big question is whether that's enough money to keep an MMO-lite with AAA production values afloat when most MMOs have subscriptions (or are F2P and successfully monetized) with AA or less production values. That keeps costs down, revenue up and allows them to put out new content more quickly. It will be interesting to see how Destiny fairs as an AAA production value MMO-lite with no subscription.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Might as well be until enough people own next gen systems. Even if there is 5 million in total PS5 and X1 out there, that doesn't mean 5 million plwyers. Maybe 900,000 players across two platforms. Crossplay would have to be there day 1

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who hasn't played for a while now (soon after D2 launch) it all sounds great and I hope to jump back in some day. Nothing really sounds that interesting or exciting right now and I'm a little gunshy of "buy xpac... play for 10 hours... be bored and not play again until next xpac..." which has sorta been my experience with D2 xpacs after the high of Taken King, but i'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

The biggest thing holding me back is raids, I really like the LFG-level "easymode" raiding of something like Wow (haven't played that in a decade tho) and the insane difficulty of D2 raiding got me burned out of that game. Not just the complexity of encounters, which were difficult, but the whole management aspect of getting 6 people together for so many hours at a fixed time yadda yadda. I'd rather just play whenever I want, and not worry too much about how hard anything is, just goof off with strangers and have fun.

Something like APEX scratches that itch REALLY well and its hard to go back to Destiny after APEX, Call of Duty, etc.

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
Fairly demeaning comments about people that just want a good single player story - what Bungie used to make.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Fairly demeaning comments about people that just want a good single player story - what Bungie used to make.

It's not really demeaning to say that they are making a game that's not for that audience. I mean I guess you could get offended by "Johnny Two-Sticks", but I don't really think they are meaning offense with it in context.

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
It's not really demeaning to say that they are making a game that's not for that audience. I mean I guess you could get offended by "Johnny Two-Sticks", but I don't really think they are meaning offense with it in context.

'Johnny Two-Sticks from Walmart' is a fairly insulting way to describe someone.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
As someone who hasn't played for a while now (soon after D2 launch) it all sounds great and I hope to jump back in some day. Nothing really sounds that interesting or exciting right now and I'm a little gunshy of "buy xpac... play for 10 hours... be bored and not play again until next xpac..." which has sorta been my experience with D2 xpacs after the high of Taken King, but i'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

The biggest thing holding me back is raids, I really like the LFG-level "easymode" raiding of something like Wow (haven't played that in a decade tho) and the insane difficulty of D2 raiding got me burned out of that game. Not just the complexity of encounters, which were difficult, but the whole management aspect of getting 6 people together for so many hours at a fixed time yadda yadda. I'd rather just play whenever I want, and not worry too much about how hard anything is, just goof off with strangers and have fun.

Something like APEX scratches that itch REALLY well and its hard to go back to Destiny after APEX, Call of Duty, etc.
It's going F2P, no need to commit to anything.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Not just the complexity of encounters, which were difficult, but the whole management aspect of getting 6 people together for so many hours at a fixed time yadda yadda. I'd rather just play whenever I want, and not worry too much about how hard anything is, just goof off with strangers and have fun.

On the complexity part:
The fun for us was always going into raids blind and figuring them out on our own. You could bumble your way through one with people dying here and there and having a few "hero" players. Then they got into raids where all 6 people needed to be clicking seamlessly and it stopped being fun. The first D2 raid was our last raid as a group and we fell off completely after that, and this was a group that logged thousands of hours on D1. Things like the maze or the race where one person screwing up could cause a wipe kind of beat us into submission and it became frustrating and not fun to play with friends.

On the organization part:
Odd to say but we're all 5 years older and 3 of us have kids now. Blocking off a 8PM to 2AM gaming session with 6 people is just impossible at this point in our lives. I also won't waste time raiding with randoms when the mechanics are so unforgiving that you could beat your head against a wall for hours because someone couldn't hold their own. This started happening around TTK Hard Mode raid, I stopped playing in pick-up groups after that.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds all good but it all reads like it will be a long time after Shadowkeep before they get the game where they want it to be.

Yep this is where I'm at ever since the Shadowblood announcement. All of this seems great, but it seems like the majority of it won't be ready until (most likely) Destiny 3 drops.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
It would have been really interesting if Jeff had pushed Rebb Ford more on community engagement, developer relations with the community, etc., as that's her actual role at Digital Extremes and it could have led to an interesting back-and-forth between her and the Bungie peeps. It felt like she quickly got overshadowed in the returning-player-onboarding segment.

Bungie has always been somewhat secretive (though less so in the last year+) in their design process; seeing them take some inspiration from DE's Warframe devstreams as they move forward would be neat.
Ouch....that resetEra diss from Mark and Jeff, they ain't wrong though, people love to shit post here.

I'm all for this new model as long as we keep getting engaging content. Season of Opulence has been amazing.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
Is that PC, XB1 and PS4 players dancing together? Lol.

Cross-play is definitely coming. The only problem was that they had exclusive deals with Sony for items that they are probably figuring out how to avoid/transfer.

Didn't they already remove PS4 exclusive items?
No more PS4 exclusives after September and current exclusives will be released on PC and Xbox then, that is not going to be a problem.