• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
Bloomberg needs to change their policy. I expected much more juicy details from this article.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This certainly makes that apology video look good.

What a mess of a developer. TW3 was just lightning in a bottle.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Us as the audience saying "they made the Witcher 3 therefore we can trust they'll deliver" is one thing because we aren't part of the development. You as the freaking team shouldn't be saying "it's ok we made the Witcher 3, it'll work out". Jesus christ. I've lost all confidence for this company. I was gonna possibly start cyberpunk in a few months but I might as well wait until the single player campaign has all the content and mods to maximize experience because they're still scrambling just to clean up their fuck ups. Now I'm curious how much deleted content they'll be adding back.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
At E3 in June 2019, CD Projekt announced that the game would come out on April 16, 2020. Fans were elated, but internally, some members of the team could only scratch their heads, wondering how they could possibly finish the game by then. One person said they thought the date was a joke. Based on the team's progress, they expected the game to be ready in 2022. Developers created memes about the game getting delayed, making bets on when it would happen. Based on the team's progress, they expected the game to be ready in 2022.

Not surprising at all, sadly. That barebones "timeline" they posted recently basically says that outright. 2021 is going to be a whole year of massive bug fixes and exhaustive attempts to get last-gen versions working well, with some content updates sprinkled in whenever they get a chance to breathe. 2022 will see the 'actual', out-of-Early-Access release of the game.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
But is the policy to speak German or English? I mean, the guy is moving to Germany, he needs to learn German not just for work but to interact with the people around him in his everyday life. German is spoken at grocery stores, TV, if he wants to date or make friends, he needs German. I don't see how adding English makes any sense or the guy's life any easier, and it also sucks for the Germans working in Germany who now have to learn another language just to have a job in their own country.
Because when you have people coming from multiple different countries, the only common language is English.

You can't expect folks to become fluent in Polish (or German) at a level necessary for socializing and discussing highly technical work aspects immediately or even within couple years.

So most offices with a lot of international users institute policy of speaking English. When you have a bunch of people you specifically brought on board knowing they don't speak the locks language and they come from different countries, it's the correct thing to do.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't know the new director would drive some Witcher veterans away. I wonder what the reactions would have been if we got a functional Witcher game with a Cyberpunk skin instead of an ambitious mess.

Oct 28, 2017
This certainly makes that apology video look good.

What a mess of a developer. TW3 was just lightning in a bottle.

I've always been of the belief that the Witcher franchise made it a whole lot easier for the the developers to put out coherent themes and world characterization (for the most part) because they have thousands and thousands of pages of how the world and characters behave. Yes I know Cyberpunk 2020 exists. It doesn't hold a candle to the fact that there are half a dozen books/short story collections to draw your writing from, which makes it extremely easy to figure out the Yennifer/Geralt/Ciri dynamic and how these characters would react in specific situations.

That's the biggest problem I have with the writing in Cyberpunk so far and I don't know how you fix it without removing and adding stuff to the game. There are individual bits of very good writing then the next minute you read some complete dreck in the form of datashards. It really reads like a thousand monkeys working at a thousand typewriters.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Us as the audience saying "they made the Witcher 3 therefore we can trust they'll deliver" is one thing because we aren't part of the development. You as the freaking team shouldn't be saying "it's ok we made the Witcher 3, it'll work out". Jesus christ. I've lost all confidence for this company. I was gonna possibly start cyberpunk in a few months but I might as well wait until the single player campaign has all the content and mods to maximize experience because they're still scrambling just to clean up their fuck ups. Now I'm curious how much deleted content they'll be adding back.
Is it deleted content if they never made it in the first place?

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
About the length or the content of the paper, I dunno for Bloomberg but in EU any article like this one will be read by a lawyer before being published in countries with defamation laws. Writing something trial-proof is another work than forum speculation, and Schreier has proven having his back covered against assumptions regarding his work (his opinions are a different matter).

Last edited:

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
'We'll figure it out along the way,'" he said.

👏👏👏👏

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
Some engineers realized that Cyberpunk was too complex of a game to run well on the seven-year-old consoles, with its city full of bustling crowds and hulking buildings. They said management dismissed their concerns, however, citing their success in pulling off The Witcher 3.
Big Expert vibes from this

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Not a super surprising article, but its good to have some suspicions verified. CDPR truly sold out.

I feel for the devs in the trenches, but it seems no company is immune once you get to this level of success.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
The thing is a lot of this isn't shocking or surprising when you not only consider the leaks/assumptions so far, but also the bullshit operation and management behind a lot of AAA productions, and CDPR's shaky history.

I know they ballooned into a beloved developer post Witcher 3, but I think it's important to remember that CDPR has had development issues on all three of their major titles, and a lot of their production pipelines have grown exponentially and unintentionally during development. The Witcher 1 received several major patch passes culminating with the Enhanced Edition before it was really recognised on an international scale. The Witcher 2, from memory, almost bankrupted the company as it was stuck in development hell, CDPR running out of money and had to cancel the Witcher 1 port/remake that was in development for consoles. The Witcher 3's development was also rocky, requiring a significantly larger volume of staff than intended, a lot of crunch and overtime, an engine that had to have its lighting and shadowing rendering gutted and simplified (amongst other things) as early tech tests ultimately didn't pan out. A lot of what has saved CDPR over the years has been cash injections from partnerships and investments (including government), in addition to TW3's huge success exploding their stock value.

AFAIK even stuff like The Witcher: Thonebreaker, which is excellent, ended up significantly larger than initially intended, chewing up a lot more time and resources that also bumped up the release date by like a year or more past the plan.

A part of me feels CDPR's success and acclaim is a combination of genuine talent (which they obviously have, given the highest quality of their output) and clumsily falling upwards. A lot of the production infrastructure and processes, particularly related to management, just being something they kinda stumbled into on the road to The Witcher 3 that quickly became undone with Cyberpunk.

And as noted by both the article and many others, this is also what happens when you have upper management and boards that are fundamentally out of touch with the development team. A lot of announcements and projections and promises on what the game is going to be and for what platforms, what kind of experiences the players can have, but in practice no real management or oversight to assess how reasonable all of these projections and promises are and if so when they'd actually be made reality.

Management basically went "Well The Witcher 3 worked out, so we'll be fine", when they should have been saying "Fuck me The Witcher 3 was a nightmare to make. How can we ensure our next project's production remedies all the issues and adopts lessons learned?".

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing work as always Schreier. Insane to think development didn't really begin until 2016, and it was originally planned to be a third person game. Redemption arc perhaps, but the damage is really heavy. These poor developers forced to crunch even further - god help them. The board of directors being so out of touch with the game's development was legit life threatening.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
A clash of visions resulting a change from third to first person and people leaving seems on track with their history. A lot of devs seemed as confused to their ambition as the public was given some dream game. I wonder what kind of game they envisioned when they first announced it and who had left by the time it actually started development.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
why 90 metacritic though
The important question asked.

But some reviewers were just like "yeah, it has so many problems and performance issues, but I LOVED THE STORY AND ATMOSPHERE..."
Some even claim that the review-version (PC) wasn't as buggy as the patched version. Which I just don't believe. But maybe they were super-lucky with their play-through and didn't encounter major bugs. Which can happen regarding to some user impressions.

The gaming press plays a significant part in this whole shitshow with hyping the game into oblivion and glancing over too many of the issues. I mean it's fine if a reviewer genuinely likes the game, but they need to learn to be at least a bit more objective again. Major and minor Bugs, shit loot system, a lack of AI, sub-par RPG mechanics, shit melee, an overall non-interactive city are things that are objectively bad and should be punished accordingly. You can always do a re-review if you want your favourite game to hit 90+ ...

The thing is a lot of this isn't shocking or surprising when you not only consider the leaks/assumptions so far, but also the bullshit operation and management behind a lot of AAA productions, and CDPR's shaky history.

I know they ballooned into a beloved developer post Witcher 3, but I think it's important to remember that CDPR has had development issues on all three of their major titles, and a lot of their production pipelines have grown exponentially and unintentionally during development. The Witcher 1 received several major patch passes culminating with the Enhanced Edition before it was really recognised on an international scale. The Witcher 2, from memory, almost bankrupted the company as it was stuck in development hell, CDPR running out of money and had to cancel the Witcher 1 port/remake that was in development for consoles. The Witcher 3's development was also rocky, requiring a significantly larger volume of staff than intended, a lot of crunch and overtime, an engine that had to have its lighting and shadowing rendering gutted and simplified (amongst other things) as early tech tests ultimately didn't pan out. A lot of what has saved CDPR over the years has been cash injections from partnerships and investments (including government), in addition to TW3's huge success exploding their stock value.

AFAIK even stuff like The Witcher: Thonebreaker, which is excellent, ended up significantly larger than initially intended, chewing up a lot more time and resources that also bumped up the release date by like a year or more past the plan.

A part of me feels CDPR's success and acclaim is a combination of genuine talent (which they obviously have, given the highest quality of their output) and clumsily falling upwards. A lot of the production infrastructure and processes, particularly related to management, just being something they kinda stumbled into on the road to The Witcher 3 that quickly became undone with Cyberpunk.

And as noted by both the article and many others, this is also what happens when you have upper management and boards that are fundamentally out of touch with the development team. A lot of announcements and projections and promises on what the game is going to be and for what platforms, what kind of experiences the players can have, but in practice no real management or oversight to assess how reasonable all of these projections and promises are and if so when they'd actually be made reality.

Management basically went "Well The Witcher 3 worked out, so we'll be fine", when they should have been saying "Fuck me The Witcher 3 was a nightmare to make. How can we ensure our next project's production remedies all the issues and adopts lessons learned?".
Fantastic post, but I guess many people just started with The Witcher 3 and already forgot or never experienced CD Projects old games. And even the Witcher 3 isn't exactly a polished experience.

DoktorAkcel

Aug 30, 2019
Okay that's strike 3, can't trust showcase "demos" anymore. Watch Dogs 1 reveal was strike 2 for me. These companies keep creating vertical slices of "in engine" gameplay, and then create a full game to try and match that vertical slice based on public reactions, knowing you'll usually get something inferior.
That's not always indicative of the final product.
Halo Infinite was a real development build and it was trashed, while God of War was basically Santa Monica throwing in something quick to show off from the stuff they had ready, as most of the game was in an unfinished state by then - the very same "vertical slice in-engine"

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
"We´ve made Witcher 3, it will work out"

looking at Bioware it seems this sort of thinking is pretty common in the industry. "we´ve made great games, it will work out"

nope, it won´t because every creative work is a team effort where many different aspects are important: composition of the right people at the right place in the right time, chemistry between the people, a lead which connects to the people (like a good soccer/football coach) and the inside motivation of everyone will affect the outcome.

(and thats why i don´t expect that many great games starting from this year going forward, all those aspects are down the drain with "working from home")

I won't ever easily forget that E3 demo.

What a bunch of lies. Moreover, what a waste of time and assets.

the e3 demo was an orchestrated vertical slice shown to journos with the intention that they will write previews to bring the hype to people, nothing more.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
pd5Rwex.jpg
sothatwasafuckinglie.gif

Not surprising though. But it's really scummy of them to throw their QA dept under the bus like that

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
so much cut content in this game that it's quite interesting to see people discover and clip into areas that were blocked off. it's like shadow of the colossus all over again.

That shader thing tho lol

when i read that everything is cobbled together i heard eurojank get a definition in my head.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I've always been of the belief that the Witcher franchise made it a whole lot easier for the the developers to put out coherent themes and world characterization (for the most part) because they have thousands and thousands of pages of how the world and characters behave. Yes I know Cyberpunk 2020 exists. It doesn't hold a candle to the fact that there are half a dozen books/short story collections to draw your writing from, which makes it extremely easy to figure out the Yennifer/Geralt/Ciri dynamic and how these characters would react in specific situations.

That's the biggest problem I have with the writing in Cyberpunk so far and I don't know how you fix it without removing and adding stuff to the game. There are individual bits of very good writing then the next minute you read some complete dreck in the form of datashards. It really reads like a thousand monkeys working at a thousand typewriters.

This is an interesting take, and helps me work through a question. As someone who never played Witcher 3 but heard nothing but high praise for its writing and who then experienced about 30 hours of Cyberpunk 2077 -- which has a script that is uneven in its best moments, unendingly awkward throughout, and mostly just pisspoor in an edgy teenage journal kinda way -- I've been really puzzled. But there's probably some credence to this thought.

It still doesn't explain why much of the English script genuinely seems poorly translated, though. Was the Witcher like this, or maybe the staff turnover is to blame?

It also leaves me pretty jaded by the overabundance of game critics who fawned over the narrative and writing, specifically. Straight up, an uncomfortable amount of them lost my respect in that realm.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
With the first gameplay trailer, people on forums already pointed out that this game must be targeting next gen. It looked a head and shoulders above anything else on XB1/PS4. The whole story just reads of persistent overambition and disorganization.

They should have delayed into 2022 to launch exclusively on the new consoles and PC. Release a polished $10 prologue in 2021 to whet fans' appetite and maintain funds.

Just imagine what it could have been without the shackles of a 5400 rpm HDD and a Jaguar CPU
That's nonsense, the shackles of a 5400 RPM HDD and Jaguar CPU are not the problem with this game, because the last gen versions (And the next gen versions too) were an afterthought and the game runs like complete shit. It's amazing that even in the light of all the evidence that the incompetence of the management at CDPR is the only cause, some PC fans still blame the consoles. RDR 2 is more next gen than this game and it was made for last gen consoles.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Why they marketed a incomplete game as the first coming of Gaming Christ I'll never understand.

StalinTheCat

Oct 30, 2017
That's normal. Game engines are constantly developed, along with the game. They aren't made ready and are set in stone before the production starts.
Hmm yes and no in my experience. If you have to build a completely new engine, management needs to factor in that it will take considerably longer (i.e. in terms of even years) to develop the game. If it's just few tweaks and on a pre existing engine, then sure.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
For anyone who wants to know what they showed during the E3 2018 demo, it was eventually released months after as the extended gameplay demo CDPR streamed.

it was pretty much the same demo, beat for beat, what press saw behind closed doors.

irishonion

Oct 25, 2017
From the moment this game turned into a fps I became less interested. Then we found out that they kept on cutting third person stuff for "immersion"(such crap)

Obviously I never knew it would come this far but ever since that I always kept a watchful eye on this game, then few months before releasing all the info coming out about content being cut left and right.

Signs were there, but man they did a good job covering it up.

Maybe if they spent as much time working on the game as they did covering up what they couldn't do, this situation could have been avoided.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Not much new stuff really. Typical of game companies where the managements side is overly conceited and out of touch with the dev teams.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
Why they marketed a incomplete game as the first coming of Gaming Christ I'll never understand.
I can imagine all kinds of management bullshit going on in the meeting rooms of CDPR. Obviously they knew that the game was in a rough state. And then they probably convinced themselves that it couldn't possibly be _that_ bad when it hit the streets.

Deleted member 33120

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 15, 2017
I guess having specifics is nice, but there isn't anything mind-blowing in the article itself. The game was overly ambitious, had obvious flaws that were overlooked, and generally needed more time in the oven. All of which I can surmise from my own experiences on big projects with unreasonable deadlines and from the game itself.

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
On a slightly related tangent, this is truly also egg in the face of any gaming site/publication that gave this game a great score. Years of gaming critics stating that they're immune to pre release marketing buzz and the only group of people to be concerned about are youtube shills. Guess what, you all drank the Kool Aid...If I were in this field, I'd take a long hard look at developer/publisher- gaming editorial relations because quite frankly many of them completely dropped the ball on this one.

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Not trying to downplay the "crunch" but the hours mentioned in the quote are not at all high. I'm in farming and there are times of the year (harvest, planting, etc) where I do five 12 hour shifts and an 8 hour shift on Saturday. This can go on for 3-4 months straight. It's just the nature of the industry and I understand this. I get paid overtime to compensate so perhaps that is the difference. Did these guys get any extra pay?

Crimsonskies

Alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2019

This question having beaten the game was on my mind as well it feels like they wanted CP77 to be a jack of all trades and ended up being a master of none.

An open world action game gta style combined with a deep RPG experience with hardly the same ammount of resources that rockstar has something had to give.

They should have focused on one or the other and tried to focus development more instead management wanted to them to do everything.

Golbez

Oct 20, 2020
So devs thought it would be ready by 2022 while the suits basically forced this out in 2020? Ffs.

Also lol at the police system being done at the last minute. I always wondered if that was the case, couldn't think of any other reason why it was more simplistic than fucking GTA3.

Oct 28, 2017
This is an interesting take, and helps me work through a question. As someone who never played Witcher 3 but heard nothing but high praise for its writing and who then experienced about 30 hours of Cyberpunk 2077 -- which has a script that is uneven in its best moments, unendingly awkward throughout, and mostly just pisspoor in an edgy teenage journal kinda way -- I've been really puzzled. But there's probably some credence to this thought.

It still doesn't explain why much of the English script genuinely seems poorly translated, though. Was the Witcher like this, or maybe the staff turnover is to blame

The Witcher for the most part was very coherent. The characters generally behave as you expect them to and the world is consistent. It's very well done for the most part, you can completely believe Geralt and Yennifer being an old married couple despite only meeting Yennifer in the 3rd game as an example.

The other aspect is that a lot of the quests are based on European fairy tales and folk lore (the Wild Hunt subtitle for The Witcher 3 being a clear reference to the Northern European belief that spectral hunters riding through the sky heralded the apocalypse of sorts) . They generally give the fairy tales a twist to make it interesting but because those fairy tales are born from people of the similar cultures, it builds and expands on the world in a very seamless manner. And like all fairy tales, there's a message or moral attached to them.

This isn't to say what CDPR did with The Witcher series was easy but makes sense why a rushed game like Cyberpunk 2077 would read like it had never gone through an editor. There's a whole lot less material to work with and harder to directly tie into the world they've created seamlessly.

There's some things to be said about the sexism/misogyny throughout the series but that was also in the books.

Last edited:

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Lmao at the development team expecting it to be ready in 2022. Says it all really. That's why the game is so half baked.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
But some reviewers were just like "yeah, it has so many problems and performance issues, but I LOVED THE STORY AND ATMOSPHERE..."
Some even claim that the review-version (PC) wasn't as buggy as the patched version. Which I just don't believe. But maybe they were super-lucky with their play-through and didn't encounter major bugs. Which can happen regarding to some user impressions.

The gaming press plays a significant part in this whole shitshow with hyping the game into oblivion and glancing over too many of the issues. I mean it's fine if a reviewer genuinely likes the game, but they need to learn to be at least a bit more objective again. Major and minor Bugs, shit loot system, a lack of AI, sub-par RPG mechanics, shit melee, an overall non-interactive city are things that are objectively bad and should be punished accordingly. You can always do a re-review if you want your favourite game to hit 90+
I mean, on PC I had just awful performance issues until I completely disabled my OC. Since then it hasn't been particularly more buggy than other tentpole open world releases. My BIL has had a similar experience and he's just running a 3600 and a 2060, which would be a budget PC build if COVID hadn't jacked up prices. From my experience and what I've heard from others I know with PCs I honestly don't think performance/bugs/crashes would impact scores too much if reviewers played on PC.

SpartaNNNN

Nov 12, 2020
I mean, on PC I had just awful performance issues until I completely disabled my OC. Since then it hasn't been particularly more buggy than other tentpole open world releases. My BIL has had a similar experience and he's just running a 3600 and a 2060, which would be a budget PC build if COVID hadn't jacked up prices. From my experience and what I've heard from others I know with PCs I honestly don't think performance/bugs/crashes would impact scores too much if reviewers played on PC.
Paid Reviews what else.

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
I always felt like CDPR got "lucky" with Witcher 3 as everything came together perfectly, which requires a great, well working team and clear shared design vision. Somehow I never got that feeling looking at anything in CP2077. This article just confirms that they were using same work style for something above their waist expecting to once again fall into places perfectly.