• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CarlSagan94

Nov 3, 2018
I don't understand why some seems so incredibly shocked that the game started full production in 2016. It was common knowledge for a long time and makes common sense considering they finished Witcher 3's extensions then.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why some seems so incredibly shocked that the game started full production in 2016. It was common knowledge for a long time and makes common sense considering they finished Witcher 3's extensions then.

4 years dev with smaller team than rockstar to make an rpg+gta.

this was all a hype game to sell on preorders. or the concept should be smaller and cleared to "gamers" years ago

Oct 26, 2017
the devs not even having access to the console dev kits is news to me, holy shit. no wonder those versions are so bad.

qhhdsgi9sd851.jpg

all that for a fake demo.

Last edited:

mogwai00

Mar 24, 2018
Funny enough, the demo part, actually, sounds like a compliment to CDPR, since the final game looks better and plays the same (with the obvious exception of the missing features).

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is why I always assume the actual release product will look downgraded compared to the BS hype trailer they put out. Yikes.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the devs not even having access to the console dev kits is news to me, holy shit. no wonder those versions are so bad.
To be fair, this is something that is happening in every studio. They need to be working from home because of the pandemic, but devs can't take dev kits home for security reasons.

EDIT: Found some studios that made it work! Posted some sources in another post.

Last edited:

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
To be fair, this is something that is happening in every studio. They need to be working from home because of the pandemic, but devs can't take dev kits home for security reasons.
I mean that's not true in all cases. I know for a fact third party studios have taken home current gen dev kits prior to their announcement. Different policies for different studios, but still. Not every studio.

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
qhhdsgi9sd851.jpg

These quotes just remind me how much journalists/media outlets are just a marketing tool to these companies.

I truly wonder just how much money was spent on the marketing of this game. It seemed to permeate all aspects of the industry - most notably with those cringe-filled YouTube videos of influencers sat in their Cyberpunk 2077 chairs talking about how the game is going to make GTA a thing of the past.

RogerL

Oct 30, 2017

Deleted member 17184

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean that's not true in all cases. I know for a fact third party studios have taken home current gen dev kits prior to their announcement. Different policies for different studios, but still. Not every studio.
Oh, do you have a source for that? Not that I doubt you. I'm just curious to know how they made it work.
XBox One shouldn't have been a problem... or what am I missing...?
docs.microsoft.com

Xbox Developer Mode activation - UWP applications

How to activate Developer Mode so you can switch between Retail Mode and Developer Mode.
That's different. You can activate most Xbox as a dev kit, but not every one, as the note says in the article. I know some studios didn't allow devs to take kits home due to security reasons, but I'll try to do some research to get more details.

Last edited:

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019

I think most people expected that they had already done pre-production around 2016 and established the prototype something that other major professional studios usually do as to avoid waste of labor and make the process more efficient.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
qhhdsgi9sd851.jpg

And lets be serious, I never understood the hype for that demo, when I saw, I was like " that is it? " the marketing and hype machine behind this game was always overblow, " may be the best video game ever made" based on that demo is embarrassing.
and lol they should put a lot of ****** in that over 200 awards

Nox

Dec 23, 2017
I think most people expected that they had already done pre-production around 2016 and established the prototype something that other major professional studios usually do as to avoid waste of labor and make the process more efficient.

I can't believe how inefficient their processes were. Screw not having pre production, they barely had a pipeline system.

Maybe they got lucky that they had a smaller team and tons of luck for W3

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Why would you want to work in Poland if you don't speak the language?

The money is terrible compared to western Europe and the US
Want to work on Cyberpunk or The Witcher. The AAA game industry is unfortunately ruthless in chewing up and spitting out hopeful passionate devs in cases like this.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
qhhdsgi9sd851.jpg

What bad priorities really mean. Sure you got a good demo with lots of awards, great marketing, but now your game that isnt anywhere near done has made the impression that its pretty far in development, expectations are sky high, and you wont make it in time. The refunds werent worth that demo.

Deleted member 17184

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
XBox One shouldn't have been a problem... or what am I missing...?
docs.microsoft.com

Xbox Developer Mode activation - UWP applications

How to activate Developer Mode so you can switch between Retail Mode and Developer Mode.
Adding some quotes based on different experiences:
Yves Guillemot of Ubisoft said that Microsoft and Sony had "made it possible for our developers to keep using their dev kits" — proprietary computer hardware that helps game makers develop games on consoles — "to continue creating our next-generation console games" even as the company's staff works remotely, although he signaled a willingness to delay those games if the consoles miss their fall target.
www.nytimes.com

Gaming Sales Are Up, but Production Is Down (Published 2020)

The coronavirus pandemic is offering mixed news and new challenges for gaming companies, both independent and corporate.
"The biggest functional challenge has been testing console features and/or platform certification requirements, which has not necessarily been easy from home due to hardware limitations and networking constraints," wrote one respondent.
gdconf.com

GDC Summer State of the Industry: 33% of devs had a game delayed due to COVID-19

Dive deeper into the results of the free State of the Industry: Work From Home Edition Survey to see how COVID-19 quarantine measures have affected game developers' ability to ship games on schedule!
We don't actually have enough of those dev kits for all the consoles to give to everybody so they have to be divvied out as you see best.
www.theloadout.com

Dirt 5 interview – how Codemasters shipped a next-gen racing game during a pandemic

Robert Karp discusses development in lockdown, next-gen prototypes, and the game's future
Microsoft is helping developers work from home via a new Project xCloud-powered PC app that allows developers to connect remotely to devkits and test their Xbox games. Microsoft revealed the new xCloud app in a post over on its Game Stack website.
Microsoft says it's developed the app due to the current pandemic forcing people to either self-isolate or work from home. According to the company, many developers are unable to access their Xbox development kits, and traditional Xbox remote access tools are designed to be used within an office, while for some, bringing home Xbox development kits isn't an option.
www.trueachievements.com

Microsoft is helping game developers work from home by using Project xCloud

Microsoft has created a new Project xCloud-powered PC app that lets developers remotely connect to Xbox devkits so they can create and test their games from home.

So yeah, not every studio - especially as solutions such as the one by Microsoft are developed.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
There's a bunch of stuff that was either removed or downgraded.

Wow, never saw that E3 footage (didn't watch anything and bought it completely blind back then for the PS3) but finished TLOU1 three times. Looking at the early trailers now it's actually really sad that it didn't make it into the full game :(

EDIT: After having watched the full video I think some AI things are reeeally bugged in this video.

Deleted member 2317

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Except they seem to have made gobs of money. Like holy shit money. Patches, next gen versions, DLC, etc will get them in some form of good graces with the majority of people who bought it.
Which is exactly why game developers will continue to do it too- there's profit to be made through willful and manipulative deception, without much recourse.

These quotes just remind me how much journalists/media outlets are just a marketing tool to these companies.
Cyberpunk is so fucking hilariously broken it's dethroned Oscar Worthy GTA4 as "most overinflated assessment garbage gap of all time". Didn't expect that at all, but it's apt.

Last edited:

RogerL

Oct 30, 2017
Oh, do you have a source for that? Not that I doubt you. I'm just curious to know how they made it work.

That's different. You can activate most Xbox as a dev kit, but not every one, as the note says in the article. I know some studios didn't allow devs to take kits home due to security reasons, but I'll try to do some research to get more details.

What?

"Developer Mode can be enabled on any retail Xbox console, via the "Retail to Dev Kit conversion" app found in the Xbox store." If you have a developer box you do not need to do the conversation...

The issue is more likely that to be able to run you need a full executable of the game, maybe CD project Red was not happy to let developers have those due to possible leaks (but it feels like it would only work on development XBoxes - and most likely only developer XBoxes made converted by the specific developer)

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Witcher 3 is a very good game and was one the best rpgs. Just because Cyberpunk is a mess doesnt mean everything before that were bad. Witcher 3 was a solid game, especially after two dlcs.
It's one of the most overrated games ever made, it was a good game but had tons of problems and gets a pass for most of the things it does.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020

I can't give any source other than telling you I know people in the industry/live with someone in said industry that made it work. Sorry.

Deleted member 17184

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What?

"Developer Mode can be enabled on any retail Xbox console, via the "Retail to Dev Kit conversion" app found in the Xbox store." If you have a developer box you do not need to do the conversation...

The issue is more likely that to be able to run you need a full executable of the game, maybe CD project Red was not happy to let developers have those due to possible leaks (but it feels like it would only work on development XBoxes - and most likely only developer XBoxes made converted by the specific developer)
I was talking specifically about this note:
Do not run this conversion app on any Xbox development hardware acquired through an Xbox managed program (for example, ID@Xbox) or you may introduce errors and delays while developing your game.

But again, we don't know the specifics of CDPR's case, and I'm not a huge fan of speculating. We only know they didn't use any of the available solutions.
I can't give any source other than telling you I know people in the industry/live with someone in said industry that made it work. Sorry.
No worries! The other post I quoted you has some info on it, too.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
What blows my mind is the police system being put in at the last minute.

Like...how did they not realize that people would catch on to this bullshit?

And its a futuristic world, they COULD have had their cops transmat/transport/teleport in with some cool visuals and sound effect and it would have been fine. But no, they decided just popping in is realistic enough.

what the fuck were they thinking.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
That language thing is really weird. Were the employees speaking Polish to them or just around them? If it's the latter, seems the norm for people to default to their native language outside of business. Or atleast it's pretty common at my job.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
So basically CDPR is such on a high horse that they can't even acknowledge the mess they created and not taking full accountability?

SMH

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
That response to the delay question is the most dumb thing I have seen in a while.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Cdp are so concerned with their image they'll say and do whatever it takes to be seen as the good guy company, no matter if it blows in their face, then they'll lie even more.

ryZcmob.gif

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
That language thing is really weird. Were the employees speaking Polish to them or just around them? If it's the latter, seems the norm for people to default to their native language outside of business. Or atleast it's pretty common at my job.
It's very common in every job I've ever worked, and I'm not based in a country where English is not the native language. It's certainly othering and feels exclusionary, but for the two Bulgarian speakers I work with, it's communal for them and almost ritualistic. Good look getting natives not to speak to another in their native tongue with some kind of formal rule. I agree with Badowski's comment: moving to another country where you do not speak the language and do not come from the culture IS hard. That is a risk you take. CDPR clearly tried to correct for it.

BTW CP2077 is bad, so I am not defending them, but that criticism is odd.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
So basically CDPR is such on a high horse that they can't even acknowledge the mess they created and not taking full accountability?

SMH

As far as the console versions go I wonder if legally they aren't allowed to really acknowledge what went on there? It seems like they'd set themselves up for lawsuit hell if they openly admit that they knew the state that those were in.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Somebody should tell em to keep their fucking heads down. What a bunch of clows.
Their comms director included...