• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For all the details click here, long thread

Here's the whole thing:

For those of you interested in TLOU2 leaks and how it happened, here's your rundown I have no idea how many tweets this will be so buckle up

Every ND game has a "final" patch that is pushed to the game that contains an Amazon AWS key, that when paired with a secret bucket ID it will give full access to the server's contents. Theres a different key and bucket ID per game, this is important

This vulnerability was discovered recently and some hackers took full advantage of it, saving TLOU1, UC3, and other dev stuff. At the time, it was disclosed to me around early February, and was very early on so ~January 2020 it was discovered

Come March, keys and data was saved, somewhere around 1-3TB, though I can only say 1TB for sure. They were trying to dump TLOU1 in an effort to get that games key as UC3 had TLOU1 material, so surely TLOU1 had TLOU2? No idea in the end but come April things got spicy

In April all the leaks of story were validated by the footage posted. I cannot speak for the text posts with story, but I can say that the dates from discovery and disclosure match with timestamps in the footage as well. You can check yourself, bottom left of all footage

Come may 30th, late at night, the source that disclosed this to me stated that the key had changed so ND for sure knew how to resolve this issue, and no keys work with the bucket IDs now. This is good but theres more

The individual that spoke to me is a direct source of this compromise, but is NOT (as far as I am aware, or can tell) not the one that leaked this material. I say this because even they were weirdly skeptical about the "ND employee leaked things because they were mad"

I've been watching this for about 3 months now, and after speaking to a first hand source of this, my only conclusion is they (and their immediate circle) did not leak it, but shared information relating to what I described, and another party proceeded to leak such material

This is not the first time this has happened in circles like this either to boot. I trust their word as a first hand source of this happening, and I trust that theyre not dumb enough to leak it, but whether they leaked everything to get such is another story.

In regards to the devkit nonsense: yes you would need a devkit to do this and given that its relatively easy to get one (yes really, it is) this is not very much of a problem. I can say the circle for the vulnerability owns such hardware as well, I've seen the photos

What's the point I'm making? The point: there's plenty of room to argue an ND employee is involved, but from the evidence (which I have submitted to ND back in February) stands to point to an ND-made security vulnerability that was exploited. Not an angry employee

While I will not give names, I will say this: I've been around, I know leaks, I listen, I watch, I keep tabs on things. I've known about this for months and kept quiet publicly but since it's blocked out now and news coverage confirmed what I've known I decided to say so publicly

I have no affiliation with the group, I have no materials from the leak, and I'm not going to. I had my ass bitten once and I dont need a second round of it, but putting the truth out there is important, because even then you'll still have people saying it was an ND employee

Don't believe what sounds like the juiciest story, even if it's what you wanna hear. Sometimes it's really that boring. Hackerman exploiting a vulnerability created by the company's own games to gain internal access. Hopefully this has been enlightening for you

And as one final note: the person that spoke to me asked me about my previous legal run-in. That's primarily what led to this disclosure to begin with. I do not advocate or suggest stealing and leaking. Preservation is important, but dont do it through stealing.

Tacking this onto the bottom since people insist that it was an ND employee when no, it wasnt. Why you think it's an ND employee that leaked this is still baffling to me :

Anthony Vaccaro

@vaccaro3d

Like in case you were unaware, cyber crime divisions almost always find out who is responsible for leaked company information no matter the line of work or type of industry you are in. It's their full time job and they will find you eventually :)

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Schrier mega fucked up by popularizing the postulation that it was a ND employee
Yeah I can't really blame people for believing that it came from a ND employee when a trusted journalist made a popular tweet that presumed that it was. Also it's fun how people here are shaming others for believing it might be an employee when a lot of people here wanted the leaker to be locked up regardless of their situation.

Last edited:

sandweed

May 8, 2018
I wouldn't be even suprised if Russia was behind this. Putin's government is very anti minority and anti women's rights, and TLoU 2 is apparently really pro minority and pro women. Their propaganda has targeted for example the latest Star Wars movies for the same reason, and I just checked their main propaganda site RT (Russia Today) and it had TWO articles about "how SJWs are ruining games/movies" and one of them was about this TLoU 2 leak.

I just find it really odd if any country would focus its propaganda towards some game leak, whereof most likely only hardcore gamers are aware of, unless the particular country was itself behind the leak. But it could just as well be some angry gamers.

Russiagate is reaching Qanon levels of absurdity.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I was banned for most of this so all I could do was read but pretty depressing how many people even in this forum clearly have a hate agenda and not just randomly created accounts. Kind of shocked me

WhatATimeToBeAlive

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
Finland
Jesus, calm down
Neither latest Star Wars or TLOU2 we're "targeted"
If that was the case then government simply banned them like Modern Warfare. You seeing thing that aren't there.

Well of course they can't ban them because there is no reasonable reason for a ban (unlike the "No Russian" mission in MW2). The government would look idiotic and anger many people if they would ban them because "they have woman heroes".

But their main focus in this case are the alt-right and gamergate people in other countries whose agenda they want to promote. Why else would they make several gamergate-type articles (in english and other languages) about movies and games?

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I can't really blame people for believing that it came from an ND employee when a trusted journalist made a popular tweet that presumed that it was. Also it's fun how people here are shaming others for believing it might be one when a lot of people here wanted the leaker to be locked up regardless of their situation.

Sorry, I don't buy that. In the very same tweet thread Jason stated categorically that he didn't know who leaked it or why (something that was reiterated in threads on Era), many just chose to ignore that part of his tweet, presumably because it didn't suit their favoured narrative.

On a side note, it's honestly amusing but also scary and shocking watching people on social media go from championing Jason to hating on and trying to discredit him, depending on whether what he's saying fits their agenda or not. It must be exhausting for him.

He went from being the ND hating champion when he posted the crunch articles, to being a corporate boot-licker the moment he started questioning the unpaid disgruntled employee fake rumours and the leaks moral implications to devs/fans. Essentially many wanted you to believe his insider contacts and knowledge when it came to negative ND details (crunch), but not when it came to this leak or positive ND stuff (eg them paying staff extra during Covid19) lol.

Last edited:

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Yeah I can't really blame people for believing that it came from a ND employee when a trusted journalist made a popular tweet that presumed that it was. Also it's fun how people here are shaming others for believing it might be an employee when a lot of people here wanted the leaker to be locked up regardless of their situation.

People go to jail for hacking. It's against the law. Whether or not that's something that agrees with how you view this event I guess is up to you. I don't agree with doxxing or any sort of vendetta based posting but people taking advantage of this stuff do indeed go to jail.

TXULJ

Banned
Apr 12, 2019
Woah such a crazy, fascinating story. Hope they get what they deserve but the whole ordeal has been interesting from an outsider's perspective

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I see that the AWS security key was put on this patch and that led to accessing the S3 storage.

My question is: why for the love of God would you put your AWS security key on each copy of a game you're publishing??

fucking for real, most major companies that take this shit seriously scan Git commits for stuff like this

absolutely embarrassing

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I counted about 3 people in that 1000+ post thread that wanted the leaker hacker to go to prison. A lot of people did downplay the spoiler leak while completely ignoring subsequent harassment of ND employees.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Good to know that a Naughty Dog employee wasn't the leaker, and that the actual culprits are known.

But, uh, yeah. That's an awful security loophole in the first place.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I'm happy there'll seemingly be no second parties getting fucked over by a few bellends taking them all down with them.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
So did naughty dog make a huge mistake with this exploit? I don't really understand all this, but sounds like they made it easy to hack

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
"A lot of people" = 2 or 3 people among the many in that thread. Most were actually calling them out for wanting blood before we knew the proper details, but now that we do, a crime has been committed and jail time is not out of the question for them, but I do hope the name or names don't come out because they don't need yet another thing to worry about besides what's already coming to them.
Also, people keep saying Schreier said or believed the disgruntled employee angle, yet his tweet was very clear in raising doubts about it. Saying "I find it unlikely" doesn't mean you're presuming it is the reason at all, all the contrary.
I said I wasn't going to come back to this thread (also because I fear spoilers and I already read about 2 details I didn't want to know in threads that had nothing to do with spoiler discussion), but I'm curious as to what else comes to light because this security breach is interesting, if very amateurish from what I've read.

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
Was it the Same dude who tweeted... Saved you 60 bucks and time.. Well, now he might just have plenty of time to recollect on his actions.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
They were passing a key with full read access to the bucket in a patch. Come on, man. Bucket policies, KMS keys, presigned urls, etc. AWS has so much documentation on best practices to stop this from happening. Before I had plenty of sympathy, but this was preventable. You pass a key to a customer, you have to assume they will use it for everything it can access.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I think the guy that said who knew the Twitter account is verified on this site. I don't know where we needed Jason for this.

Late to the thread, I know, but yeah Pixelbutts is a known quantity in the game preservation community, that by nature of what he does he hears about hacks and leaks like these behind the scenes all the time. I actually met him in person a few years back, and I trust him to know what he's talking about when it comes to this sort of stuff. Seems like I was right to, in this case!

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Late to the thread, I know, but yeah Pixelbutts is a known quantity in the game preservation community, that by nature of what he does he hears about hacks and leaks like these behind the scenes all the time. I actually met him in person a few years back, and I trust him to know what he's talking about when it comes to this sort of stuff. Seems like I was right to, in this case!
Thanks, I was on mobile so couldn't easily jump betwet the threads, otherwise I would've tagged you.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Just got a Angry Joe video recommendation on the spoilers. The thumbnail was just him with his upset angry face, lol. I'm sure the influx of angry YouTubers are going to become even more unbearable. ND has been claiming a bunch of videos to try to squash spoilers.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just glad to hear Naughty Dog are paying their devs and healthcare during this pandemic, which is a turnaround from their previous labour abuses.

Turn around? jschreier has stated that most of the devs he's spoken to over the years have said that ND is an amazing place to work at, besides the crunch. Crunch is awful but it's not like it's just a ND problem, it's an industry wide thing, no?

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Turn around? jschreier has stated that most of the devs he's spoken to over the years have said that ND is an amazing place to work at, besides the crunch. Crunch is awful but it's not like it's just a ND problem, it's an industry wide thing, no?
Just because a bad thing is practiced by others, doesn't excuse them. There are other devs who make an effort to avoid crunch but there are devs that champion it.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
1 and a half hours of footage, mostly including highly pivotal story moments alongside a few gameplay sections and smaller story segments. The ending itself hasn't been leaked so there's still an air of mystery surrounding that, but be warned that most of the other story developments have been shown. Some multiplayer screenshots as well.
Fuck Im really curious about MP actually. Wish there was a safe way to ask about MP but Im too scared to go into the Spoiler thread.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Guess I was right lol.

Basically.

Each and every ND game that gets patch updates a key from a server after it gets patched, and that server gives you and millions of other people keys to look at that server. That server did not have any authentication what so ever. As far as I was told once you gave it the key that you had gotten it literally just opened the doors, and where do you think the copy of the game that leaked was :P

If OP wants to thread mark this because this is the legitimate way it was taken from ND. Blame them for storing information like that in such a unsecure spot.

I also want to point out I literally had nothing to do with the leak. I just was told how it happened.

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
I'm just glad to hear Naughty Dog are paying their devs and healthcare during this pandemic, which is a turnaround from their previous labour abuses.

You are surprised ND are paying their devs?! Crunch is what they're guilty of, and it's an industry problem so I would quit the console wars agenda.

how did Sony not learn from the 2013 hack and have a team of white hats looking for vulnerabilities.
This is what I'm Thinking, especially when everyone at home right now..... that should of been the first thing they should of told thier dev teams! Beef up your security, because people will be trying to hack you! Something else I'm thinking is why on earth do companies put future code into old releases? I seen this befor, as it's how contents of a free mobile act that play where spoiled. Just seems like a strange concept?

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Question: everyone is saying Sony can sue the hacker. IS the hacker known now? Or just the route that they took? I'm not clicking on too much, though I think I've already been spoiled. But iono.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Just got a Angry Joe video recommendation on the spoilers. The thumbnail was just him with his upset angry face, lol. I'm sure the influx of angry YouTubers are going to become even more unbearable. ND has been claiming a bunch of videos to try to squash spoilers.

We had a thread closed yesterday about that because there was no proof that was happening. Has anything more come out about that?

Oct 31, 2017
On a side note, it's honestly amusing but also scary and shocking watching people on social media go from championing Jason to hating on and trying to discredit him, depending on whether what he's saying fits their agenda or not. It must be exhausting for him.

He went from being the ND hating champion when he posted the crunch articles, to being a corporate boot-licker the moment he started questioning the unpaid disgruntled employee fake rumours and the leaks moral implications to devs/fans. Essentially many wanted you to believe his insider contacts and knowledge when it came to negative ND details (crunch), but not when it came to this leak or positive ND stuff (eg them paying staff extra during Covid19) lol.
Yup, it's bizarre. I've never seen anything like it. The same people that quote Jason Schrier's article on crunch culture at ND are now the same people saying he's not to be believed and that he's a Sony shill now because his story doesn't fit their agenda. How does this even make logical sense lol?

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much. Stuff like this is very common though and you will almost never hear about (not just for this industry either). ;)

AWS bucket breaches are literally a meme now.

2 things:

how did Sony not learn from the 2013 hack and have a team of white hats looking for vulnerabilities.

we will most certainly never see the arrest or apprehension of these individuals publicly.

I wonder if Microsoft will provide beefier protections when they move to azure
To answer both your questions in one: Sony is primarily a hardware company while Microsoft is primarily software (more so SaaS). Microsoft has built entire platforms and services that they market to various clients in various industries.

This is mostly a configuration vulnerability though. SaaS products like Azure and AWS are just services. While they so have good security (Azure more so imo), the configuration integrity rests on the admin in charge.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
It's not even just that thing that people need to own up to.

There are tons of things that the rumor mill has damaged for ND that people got wrong that it's insane. Even before the crunch story, there were people talking narrative possibilities that were false.

The internet should use TLOU2 as an example of how to run stories and discuss topics. Outside of the crunch story, literally zero research went into false stories like that fake Edgar employee, ND striking YouTube channels, not paying employees, fridging, this leaker story, 70% workforce leaving because of the story's politics...all based on complete bullshit.

I know they're waiting until after release to talk, but, I kinda wish Neil could talk about all the business stuff openly, now. I know the potential problems that come with that, but, I feel like it would help a little.

Exactly my thoughts, there's so much misinformation being spread by YouTube channels and individuals who already didn't like Ellie being lesbian or they read some random 4chan post and took that as fact. And the fact they refuse to believe the leak was a hacker is just the result of confirmation bias.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
its that their servers were not well setup and it was
Oh. In that case it was hackers. Not a disgruntled employee coz ND said so.

???? it was hacked tho. It's not just ND saying this. Two people one being me on this forum have said it and you're getting multiple others on twitter also confirming this.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Schrier mega fucked up by popularizing the postulation that it was a ND employee

I have massive respect for his stuff, loved his book too, but his handling of this situation was... unprofessional. He's aware people look at him for verifying stuff and confirming rumors, so the fact he just randomly believed a Reddit rumor of a disgruntled employee helped forming a false narrative. He later retracted that, but in more than one tweet he needed to point out that, despite already extensively covering the horrible crunches and development issues of their games, that it's actually a great place and that they even paid bonuses, as if it were so unheard of. I wouldn't say a place where you have to work 12 hours a day, 7 days a week is a great place even if you get bonuses for the COVID-19 emergency, but to each their own.

At least it's cleared up now.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just read about this. I honestly think anyone still pushing conspiracy theories deserves to be banned off this site for spreading fake info. We keep getting more and more info about how this leak really happened, so here's hoping the appropriate action is taken against these hackers.