• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
So basically what that poster said a day ago or so in another thread.
That's a really big security issue, can't believe they didn't notice that earlier.
The sad thing is that its not really anyone's fault. These vulnerabilities aren't things that people just notice or even spot, even when looking for them. 99% of the time this is just code and systems built to do a specific task, it takes people with malicious intent and the means and know-how to take what is otherwise "innocent" code and contort it. Only then does it become a "vulnerability".

If other devs aren't as dumb/naive as ND, it probably won't happen
smh....

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
User Banned (1 Week) - Conspiracy Theories
This is a much better explanation. It was also posted way before Jason posted his tweets.
I'm back to conspiracy mode after reading this. Let me sail in my own pond, think me stupid and everything but I totally believe it was the alleged salary dispute once this points to being more likely that an ND or at least Sony affiliated employee might have done this. You need a devkit. Are there ways around that? Sure, but Occam's Razor says "unlikely" to me.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
It was simply pointing out why the original rumor (which started from some no name nobody) had any validity. Because at that time it was the only truth we had (crunch).
Yeah, but we've known for a while that rumor was not true, why still bringing it up or trying to give it any kind of validation? It doesn't make sense now. If there's something to criticize and is linked to this topic, is how stupid their cloud security solution apparently was if I'm understanding what I read right.
Also, regarding your point about them doing the bare minimum, while it'd be ideal if all companies did it, the reality is not that fair, several companies have fired employees or heavily cut income (which I'd prefer if it meant not mass firing anybody), others have transtitioned employes into a 3-6 month suspension without pay, and more. I have friends who, as of March, had jobs that seemed to be very secure for the long term, now they are unemployed, right now I actually feel very priviledged that my job is still secure, hasn't mentioned income cuts nor layoffs, so Sony isn't just doing the "bare minimum" as you stated. And no, I'm not licking anybody's boots here I'm just stating what I'm seeing from my own point of view.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Yeah, but we've known for a while that rumor was not true, why still bringing it up or trying to give it any kind of validation? It doesn't make sense now. If there's something to criticize and is linked to this topic, is how stupid their cloud security solution apparently was if I'm understanding what I read right.
Also, regarding your point about them doing the bare minimum, while it'd be ideal if all companies did it, the reality is not that fair, several companies have fired employees or heavily cut income (which I'd prefer if it meant not mass firing anybody), others have transtitioned employes into a 3-6 month suspension without pay, and more. I have friends who, as of March, had jobs that seemed to be very secure for the long term, now they are unemployed, right now I actually feel very priviledged that my job is still secure, hasn't mentioned income cuts nor layoffs, so Sony isn't just doing the "bare minimum" as you stated. And no, I'm not licking anybody's boots here I'm just stating what I'm seeing from my own point of view.
It's brought up because the first page is littered with "all the people who said, X, bet they won't come in here" crap.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
That sounds like quite inept security from Sony/ND, and not even anything to do with COVID-19, having to work from home or the delay in general, as was speculated from the moment it was delayed. Hopefully the hackers get what they deserve regardless.

No. This isn't a common occurrence, loopholes exists regardless.

If other devs aren't as dumb/naive as ND, it probably won't happen

Why are they dumb and naive?

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, I see that the AWS security key was put on this patch and that led to accessing the S3 storage.

My question is: why for the love of God would you put your AWS security key on each copy of a game you're publishing??

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I'm back to conspiracy mode after reading this. Let me sail in my own pond, think me stupid and everything but I totally believe it was the alleged salary dispute once this points to being more likely that an ND or at least Sony affiliated employee might have done this. You need a devkit. Are there ways around that? Sure, but Occam's Razor says "unlikely" to me.
Well, my post from yesterday aged like wine:
Most (if not all) people in this forum agree that crunch fucking sucks, that initial thread from Schreier himself talking about ND's crunch culture if proof of that, as are the great amount of users who kept calling out those 2 or 3 wanting blood when we initially worked the "disgruntled employee" angle. The reason why still talking about crunch in this thread is off-topic is because the initial rumors have been debunked by trustworthy and official parties, the only point for still bringing it up is denial as some people have already created the narrative in their heads and won't let go of it, so now it's simply the "Deny everything and be skeptical" approach, at this point no proof is going to change what some people have already decided is the truth.
Anyway, after 22 pages I would've thought the discussion in this topic would've gone somewhere else, but it's still stuck where it was when the rumors first popped up.
It's brought up because the first page is littered with "all the people who said, X, bet they won't come in here" crap.
And yet they keep trying to give any kind of validity to a rumor that wasn't true. Just read the post I'm quoting above. But that's it from in this topic anyway, this thread will surely not be as long as previous ones, for obvious reasons.

Deleted member 47076

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
"You know, Neil, we really are the hacked of us."

I'm glad this news got out so quickly. The internet was going crazy.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Can't even suggest getting off the internet and going for a walk to anyone still on the conspiracy theories. They'd probably be worried they'd fall off the edge of the world if they go too far.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

You can buy a devkit on eBay. They aren't that hard to get if you've got the cash.

Game companies going out of business aren't exactly worried about their obligations to console manufacturers so they're totally willing to sell devkits if it means paying off their debt.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Well, my post from yesterday aged like wine:

And yet they keep trying to give any kind of validity to a rumor that wasn't true. Just read the post I'm quoting above. But that's it from in this topic anyway, this thread will surely not be as long as previous ones, for obvious reasons.
Facts are facts and none except the leakers or people at Naughty Dog aware of who they might be know. I get calling "those who act skeptical because they won't let go of the narrative" conspiracists makes sense but honestly whether you believe it or don't, you don't know either way.

slothrop

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Why the hell would you ship aws keys to every client, on machines you don't control. I don't even understand how that happens accidentally. Why were AWS keys anywhere near the client code

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
So this had to have come from the last patch that Naughty Dog put out (Sept 2019) where they shut down the servers for Uncharted 2, 3 and TLOU and patched the PS4 versions of TLOU:R and U4/LL around the same time... that it wasn't found until January is a miracle.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why the hell would you ship aws keys to every client, on machines you don't control. I don't even understand how that happens accidentally. Why were AWS keys anywhere near the client code

Were they being used as a way to download stuff to the client? it's the only thing I can think of.

Regardless, this doesn't sound illegal. Asshol-ish to spoil the game, sure, but not illegal.

Oct 25, 2017
1 and a half hours of footage, mostly including highly pivotal story moments alongside a few gameplay sections and smaller story segments. The ending itself hasn't been leaked so there's still an air of mystery surrounding that, but be warned that most of the other story developments have been shown. Some multiplayer screenshots as well.
To be honest, I thought the entire game got leaked including all gameplay even the ending. I've been really careful avoiding spoilers. Naughty Dog said that this is their longest game ever so I am expecting a 25-30 game. It took me 15-20 hours to beat Uncharted 4 the first time.

Quade

Mar 8, 2019
People are so privileged. The world is suffering from things like covid-19 and people complain about their game being spoiled.

/s
And what? How is that related to this discussion? Yes there have no doubt been overreactions but just because of the COVID situation it doesn't mean people can't express their upset at being spoiled on potentially their most anticipated title that they've waited on for years and to have it spoiled so close to release.

Edit: I may or may not have misread the /s. Not sure if you were being ironic with it or not.

Last edited:

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Ok glad that's cleared up a bit. People love jumping to conclusions. Seems like a trend with anything to do with Playstation?
This/ BC debacle/ Change of Staff/ "Game must be shit because we havent seen hours of gameplay yet" (GOW) etc etc..

... More positivity, less negativity :)

Anyways, more on topic. So what does this hack mean? What did they get access to...? The whole game? Engine?

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
This is pushing me to investigate more about that AWS vulnerability, they had the key, but you need more than that to access the bucket, shame that the guys behind this don't use their abilities for more productive stuff.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

Occam's Razor tells me you have a hatchet to bury regarding something related to this topic.

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
Were they being used as a way to download stuff to the client? it's the only thing I can think of.

Regardless, this doesn't sound illegal. Asshol-ish to spoil the game, sure, but not illegal.

I'm pretty sure what they did was illegal. They accessed a server that wasnt public and that they didnt own and took files from the server. It's like saying it's ok to steal from someone who accidentally gave you their car keys instead of yours and then you proceeded to take things from their car.

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
This is pushing me to investigate more about that AWS vulnerability, they had the key, but you need more than that to access the bucket, shame that the guys behind this don't use their abilities for more productive stuff.

Would the configuration files from their games not have access? They check the server for any live updates upon connecting to multiplayer.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure what they did was illegal. They accessed a server that wasnt public and that they didnt own and took files from the server. It's like saying it's ok to steal from someone who accidentally gave you their car keys instead of yours and then you proceeded to take things from their car.

Depends whether access to the storage was intended, and it's just that the game was meant to be selective over what it took.

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
And what? How is that related to this discussion? Yes there have no doubt been overreactions but just because of the COVID situation it doesn't mean people can't express their upset at being spoiled on potentially their most anticipated title that they've waited on for years and to have it spoiled so close to release.

Edit: I may or may not have misread the /s. Not sure if you were being ironic with it or not.
I mean, I don't know how else you could interpret an /s to be quite honest.

But yeah it's a dumb reason. What makes it even more ironic is that they do bother to reply to something so 'unimportant'.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Would the configuration files from their games not have access? They check the server for any live updates upon connecting to multiplayer.

I don't know, I'd have to ask a game dev using AWS for their projects, if there's exchange of critical info like keys or passwords it should be encrypted, there's more... The guys that came up with the bug are really good.

For example where I work there's no way they could get enough info to access the buckets, there's too much security in place.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
Damn, that is really unfortunate :/

people will still downplay these leak's severity as "iT's jUsT a ViDeOgAmE!"

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
I haven't been caught up in all this. Has the whole
game been leaked story wise? If so, hacking a private server is a pretty serious offense where I could see legal action being taken...

Quade

Mar 8, 2019
I mean, I don't know how else you could interpret an /s to be quite honest.

But yeah it's a dumb reason. What makes it even more ironic is that they do bother to reply to something so 'unimportant'.
Yeah sorry, i've been jumping the gun a lot recently so i think i need to be more calculated with my replies. It's just i've seen a lot of these kinds of responses on this topic and others and it's completely dismissive and adds nothing to the actual conversation. People are still allowed to be upset and frustrated at other things besides the pandemic - yes the world has stopped but people's nuanced lives still continue around them.

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
Depends whether access to the storage was intended, and it's just that the game was meant to be selective over what it took.

So if I accidentally walk into someone's house I can take things that arent mine?
Not sure what you mean by the game being selective over what you took.

they needed a dev kit to access this stuff. It shot like they stumbled upon it on psn or just happened to obtain a dev kit on Ebay and when they went to play a some last of us it brought them to last of us 2 media files instead. I'm pretty sure sony will be able to provide plenty of proof for the hackers intent to steal.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

It's been a long time since I've even looked at it laws and not for those of countries outside the UK, but I think generally speaking even if you have access to data, that doesn't give you the legal right to do what you want with it. Just because you come across information doesn't give you the right to share it. This is why exceptions have to be written in to laws to protect whistleblowers who put themselves at risk sharing information on misdoings of companies or governments , and they definitely won't cover the people who did this.

Toad King

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This is a monumental fuck-up on Naughty Dog and/or Sony. You don't ship AWS bucket credentials in any product, ever. No end product should ever need full access to an AWS service, you always write services that clients communicate through. This is like that issue with Super Meat Boy way back in the day, where the game shipped with MySQL login credentials for it's high score server. Only worse: Instead of just having full access to a database, they got full access to an entire server.

And why the hell is development work living on a production server in the first place?

If I didn't know about the security practices (or lack thereof) of developers in the gaming space, I would have said this explanation is faker than the disgruntled contractor leaking stuff. But unfortunately this is not as surprising as it should be.

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
Yeah sorry, i've been jumping the gun a lot recently so i think i need to be more calculated with my replies. It's just i've seen a lot of these kinds of responses on this topic and others and it's completely dismissive and adds nothing to the actual conversation. People are still allowed to be upset and frustrated at other things besides the pandemic - yes the world has stopped but people's nuanced lives still continue around them.
Yeah, no worries, I totally get you man. We're on a gaming forum of all places and people still want to dismiss things as unimportant.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So if I accidentally walk into someone's house I can take things that arent mine?
Not sure what you mean by the game being selective over what you took.

they needed a dev kit to access this stuff. It shot like they stumbled upon it on psn or just happened to obtain a dev kit on Ebay and when they went to play a some last of us it brought them to last of us 2 media files instead. I'm pretty sure sony will be able to provide plenty of proof for the hackers intent to steal.

The home analogy doesn't work - it's without the nuance.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Will people that jumped the gun on Naughty Dog not paying the leaker come here and admit they were wrong?
No. There is a group that hates ND be it for their games or success or being a Sony 1st party. Believe it or not, there are die hard xbox/Nintendo/PC fans here that hate anything Sony willing to buy anything to trash ND.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's been a long time since I've even looked at it laws and not for those of countries outside the UK, but I think generally speaking even if you have access to data, that doesn't give you the legal right to do what you want with it. Just because you come across information doesn't give you the right to share it. This is why exceptions have to be written in to laws to protect whistleblowers who put themselves at risk sharing information on misdoings of companies or governments , and they definitely won't cover the people who did this.

It's an incredibly tricky area, for obvious reasons.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
I know you're trying to make some weird 'gotcha' but, yeah, there is still bad management at Naughty Dog that enforces crunch and makes subordinates watch snuff films.

So maybe lets not move into "everything is fine," territory just because they were unfortunate enough to be hacked like this.
Crunch is bad. Real real bad no sane person would say otherwise. It's just properly built a narrative around it that everything ND do are evil.

WhatATimeToBeAlive

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
Finland
User Bannes (2 Weeks) - Conspiracy Theories
I wouldn't be even suprised if Russia was behind this. Putin's government is very anti minority and anti women's rights, and TLoU 2 is apparently really pro minority and pro women. Their propaganda has targeted for example the latest Star Wars movies for the same reason, and I just checked their main propaganda site RT (Russia Today) and it had TWO articles about "how SJWs are ruining games/movies" and one of them was about this TLoU 2 leak.

I just find it really odd if any country would focus its propaganda towards some game leak, whereof most likely only hardcore gamers are aware of, unless the particular country was itself behind the leak. But it could just as well be some angry gamers.