• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 15447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Hostility, history of similar behaviour
For people who are entertaining or has entertained conspiracy theories - all I'll say is this.

Sony as an organization - this gen alone, has shut down studios ( GGC, Evo, VR ), laid off more than three dozen employees at one-go (SSM), made jobs redundant in sizable amounts as part of restructuring, etc. And that's what we know, nevermind what we don't know.

Ask yourself, that within an organization of 400-500 employees, of whom there are already known to have 'hotline to the press' via Jason Schreier; that Sony/ND as an organization would choose to damage-control it by crafting a fake message and demanding 400+ employees turn a blind eye to that matter, and expect that to never ever get out - when they have been willing to - in the past- just do far simpler things?

Now you just sound like a cunt.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
That's awful.

I don't expect anyone who died on their hill to refrain from concocting conspiracy theories to avoid having to say they were wrong, though.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
I don't think so Jason. I have it on good authority from some very reliable sources, randoms on the internet, that it was an ex-Naughty Dog employee or contractor or some kind of human being fighting back against the evil greedy corrupt Sony as to why this happened. You think people would just make up shite and spread it around the Internet without caring if it's true or not? Come on Jason, I'm not an idiot. This lift goes to the top floor, you know what I mean.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Technically ND didn't pay the leaker so those people aren't wrong :P

Seriously though, even Schreier jumped the gun on the leaker being a ND employee which is why the fake rumor about not paying employees was believed by so many.

Knowing the truth behind the leak doesn't change whatever crunch conditions exist/ed at ND from being a problem that should be criticized.
They should be criticised for crunch. Absolutely. That doesn't mean people are given the right to start speculating about any old shit though.

The other threads were full of bad faith arguments that ignored actual credibility in favour of believing some place full of toxic shitheads. Now I'm sure some of those genuinely care about ND's working conditions and just jumped the gun, but I'm also sure there were a lot of people just hoping to get their shots in, and don't actually care all that much.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
So they hacked a company and committed a crime and all they did was.....leak spoilers for a video game and ruin it for people

like...why? How sad do you have to be

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Wow, what a disaster this has been. I really a lot of people who latched onto these rumors will learn their lessons...
Nah they'll complain about people wanting these hackers punished.

Would love to say this has all been eye opening but not really. People will still believe rumors and run with it no matter how crazy it is, especially if there are silly reasons behind it.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get it, even if you have obtained this information why leak it? Why would you put yourself in a risk of a lawsuit to leak video game spoilers? What do you gain from this? I just don't get it.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Yikes, hopefully ND and Sony learn from this so it can't happen again. Really glad to see its not from an employees or contractors and that ND is actually paying contractors more. These hackers are going to be facing the full wrath of Sony's lawyers I guess, and they deserve whatever punishment will be given to them by the legal system.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
So they hacked a company and committed a crime and all they did was.....leak spoilers for a video game and ruin it for people

like...why? How sad do you have to be

I mean, crackers commit crimes by virtue of their very action. Whether or not those crackers actually obtain information worth any money/etc - is a different story. In this case, they obtained access to ND files and the only value of said files to them is to either sell em to an outlet willing to buy em, or to... leak em.

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scum. Hope they're punished severely.

Glad the truth came to light. Every carpetbagger on here who knowingly spread lies because they sensed blood in the water and had ulterior motives should be banned.

Agree, and if this happened regarding any other company I believe they probably would be.

If nothing else this incident has really highlighted how bad the toxicity from bad faith posters around any ND related discourse on Era has gotten. This is why I pretty instantly put most threads about them on ignore.

MTR

Oct 27, 2017
Sucks for all ND employees and those who have worked their butt off for the game.

Seems like Sony/ND found them pretty easy and are probably about to find them on the receiving end of the full extent of the law that a multibillion dollar corp can bring. Hope the reddit karma was worth it.

May 25, 2019
London
Much better explanation here

This tweet has me confused a little bit. They say AWS Access Key and a Secret Bucket ID.....

S3 Buckets are uniquely named per region and are frequently enumerated - one of the hot new trends in security reporting is crawling for S3 buckets with open permissions and grabbing content from there. You can access the contents of this bucket through an AWS Access Key ID and Secret Key. which you generate as a pair....but you should never share the Secret Key.

So were they pushing an AWS Secret Key with each build/copy of the game? Were they not using IAM roles and policies to manage access, or just pre-signed URLs for a limited time?

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get it, even if you have obtained this information why leak it? Why would you put yourself in a risk of a lawsuit to leak video game spoilers? What do you gain from this? I just don't get it.

According to the PixelButts tweets (which don't have any spoilers, by the way. Dunno about the replies to the tweets, though...), the hackers aren't the ones who leaked it. The hackers told select people about what they'd done and found and shared said info with them, and one of those select people is the one thought to have done the leaking. I think.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
What does this have to do with PSN? this's about ND internal servers, no?

Nothing. Nothing at all.

Do you know how many security patches are released regularly for Windows 10 and Windows Server? There are so many flaws in these systems that are found, exploited and patched on a routine basis. This is going to sound just as dumb but did Microsoft learn nothing from the PSN hack?

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That sounds like quite inept security from Sony/ND, and not even anything to do with COVID-19, having to work from home or the delay in general, as was speculated from the moment it was delayed. Hopefully the hackers get what they deserve regardless.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sonys Security System sounds like it's still worse then Nintendo.
2 things:

how did Sony not learn from the 2013 hack and have a team of white hats looking for vulnerabilities.

we will most certainly never see the arrest or apprehension of these individuals publicly.

I wonder if Microsoft will provide beefier protections when they move to azure
You'll find vulnerabilities on almost every software produced, even Azure, IBM or Cisco get hacked.
And the challenge among hackers often leads to other means than frontal code deciphering.
It can be just ordering a pizza to the guy who is in charge of surveillance to distract him a moment.

May 25, 2019
London
That sounds like quite inept security from Sony/ND, and not even anything to do with COVID-19, having to work from home or the delay in general, as was speculated from the moment it was delayed. Hopefully the hackers get what they deserve regardless.

Yeah, it's terrible that somebody felt the need to leak this, but there should definitely be some blame thrown at Naughty Dog and Sony for doing a terrible job with cloud security. If that story is true, that is incredibly embarrassing.

You'll find vulnerability on almost every software produced, even Azure, IBM or Cisco get hacked.
And the challenge anong hackers often lead to other means than frontal code deciphering.
It can be just ordering a pizza to the guy who is in charge of surveillance to distract him a moment.

I agree with you, but this was a case of negligence, not a zero day.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
An "inspiring act of sabotage" according to one user here. Embarrassing response from a lot of people on this site.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Nothing. Nothing at all.

Do you know how many security patches are released regularly for Windows 10 and Windows Server? There are so many flaws in these systems that are found, exploited and patched on a routine basis. This is going to sound just as dumb but did Microsoft learn nothing from the PSN hack?
You'll find vulnerabilities on almost every software produced, even Azure, IBM or Cisco get hacked.
And the challenge among hackers often leads to other means than frontal code deciphering.
People don't give a shit about logic lads.

Deleted member 61326

Banned
Nov 12, 2019
They be including private keys in patch releases? Doh

Yeah, I don't get the hack. Each ND game has a secret AWS bucket, and the access key for that bucket is included with the final patch? Why only the final patch? Why is this bucket needed? And is this bucket for TLoU 1, there were tons of TLOU 2 related media such as dev recorded gameplay? It doesn't make any sense, what is the purpose of the bucket to begin with?

May 25, 2019
London
Yeah, I don't get the hack. Each ND game has a secret AWS bucket, and the access key for that bucket is included with the final patch? Why only the final patch? Why is this bucket needed? And is this bucket for TLoU 1, there were tons of TLOU 2 related media such as dev recorded gameplay? It doesn't make any sense, what is the purpose of the bucket to begin with?

I agree it doesn't make sense, I posted above stating that calling a bucket ID "secret" is humorous, given that its the secret key that is the real target here.

Would love to see more details, but my interpretation at this time is that they hardcoded keys into a build/patch.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
I'm sorry for they guy who got a full time job at ND and was harassed, called a "damage control" and such.

It didn't take much to see that this leak was false, weeks prior we had news of Sony's doing about covid: paying extra for people to make their own home office, paying contractors, making funds, etc.

I hope we'll see a turnaround for crunch at ND just like Rockstar, but I wouldn't be surprised if this situation would get ND to be even more closed to people.

No_Style

Oct 26, 2017
Ottawa, Canada

I am wondering this myself. But it does sound like a DevOps IT security mess up though.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How brutally embarassing for all of you who were just yesterday telling me ND are evil and Sony was inventing the outside breach. Not only that, but hackers!

Let's see the spins on this one eh.

Deleted member 61326

Banned
Nov 12, 2019
I agree it doesn't make sense, I posted above stating that calling a bucket ID "secret" is humorous, given that its the secret key that is the real target here.

Would love to see more details, but my interpretation at this time is that they hardcoded keys into a build/patch.

Yeah. That a AWS key somehow became part of a (final?) build I kind of can understand, but not what the purpose of the bucket was to begin with. Basically a cloud stored "scratch area" where developers put random stuff to ease sharing?

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
Welp I suspect if this hacker or hackers have associates who know what they have been up to already posting on twitter about this, than it's only a matter of time until they are caught. Sony did say they have been identified .

I mean, crackers commit crimes by virtue of their very action. Whether or not those crackers actually obtain information worth any money/etc - is a different story. In this case, they obtained access to ND files and the only value of said files to them is to either sell em to an outlet willing to buy em, or to... leak em.

You missed a third and probably the smartest option. Keep the files to yourself. What is the real value of leaking it anonymously? Risking drawing attention to yourself and getting caught is the only thing I can think of.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Really interesting, and I wonder what was gained by leaking all this.
Failed blackmail maybe, the amount of ransomed companies have explode the last decade, though I am not sure it's valid regarding monsters like Sony. Also people who found the hack aren't necessarily those who exploited it. Hackers don't enjoy more a thing than hacking hackers.