• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SeanBoocock

Senior Engineer @ Epic Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
My understanding is that Private Division informed the studio owners at the exact same time they were sending out LinkedIn messages to employees offering them jobs. Whatever it was, it was very much a calculated move, and it upset a whole lot of people, including a couple who I hadn't originally spoken to, but who reached out to me today after the story ran. Sucks that this ask a game dev tumblr (which I have enjoyed in the past) is handwaving it in such misleading and inaccurate fashion.

The tumblr speculation strikes me as inaccurate as well. Scope and schedule conversations happen all the time. On a micro scale, there is often horse trading on what any given milestone will consist of and when assets/systems will land. A publisher conversation like:

"Feature X will likely miss for Milestone 5 but we were able to bring up Y and Z that we had planned for Milestone 6 instead." "Ok, great!"

happens often. Even though the publisher is not obligated to accept these sorts of modifications, if there is sufficient trust between the publisher and developer, it is not a big problem.

Larger delay/scope questions are also common but have more significant consequences. Extending development by X months, especially late in the project, inflates the development cost (ie you are adding that time at peak burn rate). What was once a business case built around recouping $X cost is now one to recoup 1.5 * $X, for example

Does the math still work for the publisher? For the developer whose original contract might have had them earning royalties once the publisher has recouped + X%? A lot of independent developers don't have a lot of runway, especially at peak production, which gives publishers a lot of leverage when renegotiating terms.

I could imagine a scenario where, while there was a mutual desire to extend the development time to hit quality/scope, the publisher wanted more favorable royalty terms in exchange for more development budget. Alternatively, the developer might have wanted royalties on a more aggressive sliding scale (earning some low % from unit one instead of only after recoup) in order to help tide them over. Usually these sorts of things end in compromises; they clearly did not in this case. I'd love to know what led to that because as reported Take Two does not come out in a favorable light.